LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Leafblade

SWTOR Housing

So far, it sounds like it will be like our ships, but on the ground, with the possibility of adding and upgrading conveniences. It's not clear how or if we might be able to customize the appearance of our apartments.

I'm surprised they didn't put it on the ships..somehow.

My ship already does feel like home, and ships can feature many of these conveniences.

I'm just curious how homes on the ground will feel any different.

My ship already does feel like home, and ships can feature many of these conveniences.

I'm just curious how homes on the ground will feel any different.

And, I wonder how all your companions are going to fit in, since they tend to have their own places on your ship!

And, I wonder how all your companions are going to fit in, since they tend to have their own places on your ship!

There seemed to be a droid moving around in the short video reveal, so maybe our active companions will stay active with us at home.

Nice to see they are still improving this MMO. This is how it should be, steadily getting better.I hope they can keep it going.

I cancelled my sub for now and probably will not come back if 2.7 update in current state will go live so i probably will not see housing. I never liked the housing anyway. I visited my house in LOTRO once in couple months. Not sure what is the purpose of the housing in games like this other than extra storage.

Turbine has the most clueless devs for me but BW's devs are one step behind.

I think i will be forced to move to Wildstar as it seems in that game devs don't cater only to absolute baddies.

I cancelled my sub for now and probably will not come back if 2.7 update in current state will go live so i probably will not see housing. I never liked the housing anyway. I visited my house in LOTRO once in couple months. Not sure what is the purpose of the housing in games like this other than extra storage.

Turbine has the most clueless devs for me but BW's devs are one step behind.

I think i will be forced to move to Wildstar as it seems in that game devs don't cater only to absolute baddies.

So, what is it about whatever's being done to PvP this time that you don't like?

(Taking a wild guess that your issue is PvP-related...)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/03/07/breaking-down-star-wars-the-old-republics-housing-reveal/

PVP starfighting and now housing coming soon?  I may have to revisit the notion of adventuring in a galaxy far far away...

i like that they are adding housing.

kinda wish though they would have just let us personalize the interior/exterior of our ships.

for me i like to have player housing to show off trophies and armour i have collected.

not sure how much i will use a stationary abode in a multi-planet game universe.

and man oh man i sincerely hope they do not use a hook type system like turbine did.

So, what is it about whatever's being done to PvP this time that you don't like?

(Taking a wild guess that your issue is PvP-related...)

It is PvP related ;)

It's about my precious class (DPS OP/Scoundrel) but no point getting into details. I'm sick of changes beeing made because people these days just cannot l2p, go cry like babies to the forums and then devs change everything because of that.

BW's devs just reached an absolute low when they made an official post on pvp forums about a completely broken, very important in game system and ofc that post proved what everyone knew long before: devs have no clue about PvP. It was players who told them where the problem is and offered solutions...can you imagine this?

i like that they are adding housing.

kinda wish though they would have just let us personalize the interior/exterior of our ships.

for me i like to have player housing to show off trophies and armour i have collected.

not sure how much i will use a stationary abode in a multi-planet game universe.

and man oh man i sincerely hope they do not use a hook type system like turbine did.

If it is hook type like LOTRO, it becomes a negative for me.  

I never got to the level cap to try out the pvp but I was disappointed to hear the PVP zone, which if I'm not mistaken should have been like the Moors in LOTRO, was so poorly designed as to actually discourage PVP.

I never got to the level cap to try out the pvp but I was disappointed to hear the PVP zone, which if I'm not mistaken should have been like the Moors in LOTRO, was so poorly designed as to actually discourage PVP.

In the early days Ilum was a veeery good OWPvP. Loads of people were playing there and we had many great fights. I basically stayed on Ilum all the time.

The problem is that SWTOR's game engine cannot handle big fights. Most people had a slide show in 20 vs 20 let alone bigger fights. It wasn't that bad for me but i could feel it and for most people it was unplayable so BW scrapped the PvP quests there killing any OWPvP on Ilum. Now the only PvP is in WZ's or some ocasional OWPvP on some planets.

Clueless devs are clueless and nothing can change that but advertising game for huge PvP battles and then using a game engine that cannot support it...They should band together with Turbine's devs and we would have the most clueless development team in history i think ;)

In the early days Ilum was a veeery good OWPvP. Loads of people were playing there and we had many great fights. I basically stayed on Ilum all the time.

The problem is that SWTOR's game engine cannot handle big fights. Most people had a slide show in 20 vs 20 let alone bigger fights. It wasn't that bad for me but i could feel it and for most people it was unplayable so BW scrapped the PvP quests there killing any OWPvP on Ilum. Now the only PvP is in WZ's or some ocasional OWPvP on some planets.

Clueless devs are clueless and nothing can change that but advertising game for huge PvP battles and then using a game engine that cannot support it...They should band together with Turbine's devs and we would have the most clueless development team in history i think ;)

Damn...so with that engine... SWTOR is as doomed as LOTRO to never give you decent large scale fights?

Damn...so with that engine... SWTOR is as doomed as LOTRO to never give you decent large scale fights?

Yes it is. Devs admitted it long time ago. No big scale PvP fights are possible in SWTOR at least not on an open planet. The closest we had to bigger fights was during recent Rakghoul event but the questing area was in some sort of small and closed sewers so lag was not as bad as on open planet.

That's really disappointing.  While those are not an absolute necessity for me, it's definitely part of a 'full game experience' for me.  Lingering disappointment and bitterness from LOTRO and the nightmare lag of the Ettenmoors make this tough to swallow in pondering a return to SWTOR.

It is PvP related ;)

It's about my precious class (DPS OP/Scoundrel) but no point getting into details. I'm sick of changes beeing made because people these days just cannot l2p, go cry like babies to the forums and then devs change everything because of that.

BW's devs just reached an absolute low when they made an official post on pvp forums about a completely broken, very important in game system and ofc that post proved what everyone knew long before: devs have no clue about PvP. It was players who told them where the problem is and offered solutions...can you imagine this?

Just been levelling my Scoundrel through Taris and Nar Shaddaa. So easy to over level, it's ridiculous. I got to lvl 29 before getting off Nar Shaddaa.

Scoundrel = Stealth up -> Back blast  -> Blaster Whip -> Sucker Punch on trash mobs ;)

Wut? Lag was NOT the reason Ilum was scrapped. I recall 1 faction literally being able to storm the other factions "safe zone" and just farming the turrets allowing them to have full PvP gear in a matter of hours. It was fixed, but it just became a camp of the other factions safe zone. That's where I perfected the art of pulling opponents from safety with my Tankasin so everyone else could kill them. Ilum may have been the biggest clusterfuck in the history of PvP and a major reason why ToR failed so miserably, but lag was not the reason.

Oricon seemed to handle 24+ v. 24+ just fine, and that was usually near a base, so throw in some NPCs, plus all the PvE people just trying to go about their business - no lag that I recall.  Maybe something happened in the interim.

Anyway, yeah, I saw the post about Bolster.  I don't know who that L-Randle guy is, but he sure did a heck of a lot of work putting together the numbers for Bioware.  It is pretty sad that, in an attempt to even out the gear gap in PvP, Bioware managed to create a system in which having the best PvP gear was actually a hindrance.

And finally - DPS Scoundrel?  Yeah, I can imagine that you're not thrilled.  You guys get to enjoy being OP for a few months, then nerfed into the ground.  That'd probably get annoying after a while.

Wut? Lag was NOT the reason Ilum was scrapped. I recall 1 faction literally being able to storm the other factions "safe zone" and just farming the turrets allowing them to have full PvP gear in a matter of hours. It was fixed, but it just became a camp of the other factions safe zone.

Well, your memory serves you well since what you described was indeed happening but approximately around January or February 2012 it was fixed as you said and IT WAS NO LONGER AN ISSUE after that so no, that was not the reason why they removed quests on Ilum. OWPvP was doing fine after the fix to that. If that was the only reason, BW would just change the concept of quests and that's it.

Lag was the main reason BW decided to scrap OWPvP on Ilum. I don't think there will be any person that will tell you otherwise and BW confirmed their engine cannot handle huge fights.

Just because you (or me) didn't have big lag problem it doesn't mean most of others didn't.

This is how it was for most people and as you can see it's just around 40+ players  on the screen (for many of them it was just a slide show):

And the second video where most people just stay still as they cannot even execute skills:

Even for me fps was dropping to around 1 sometimes.

Oricon seemed to handle 24+ v. 24+ just fine, and that was usually near a base, so throw in some NPCs, plus all the PvE people just trying to go about their business - no lag that I recall.  Maybe something happened in the interim.

Anyway, yeah, I saw the post about Bolster.  I don't know who that L-Randle guy is, but he sure did a heck of a lot of work putting together the numbers for Bioware.  It is pretty sad that, in an attempt to even out the gear gap in PvP, Bioware managed to create a system in which having the best PvP gear was actually a hindrance.

And finally - DPS Scoundrel?  Yeah, I can imagine that you're not thrilled.  You guys get to enjoy being OP for a few months, then nerfed into the ground.  That'd probably get annoying after a while.

I participated in bigger battles even on Ilum but the ammount of lag you would get during that was huge. Like i said only in the Rakghoul tunnels situation was more or less ok as the environment is closed and rather small. Still alot of people reported big lag during last event even in around 20 vs 20.

Regarding my OP/Scoundrel i can live with nerfs (as i have since the launch). We were nerfed to the pointwhere before 2.6 a DPS OP/Scoundrel was a rare sight. Basically nerfed to an absolute ground because of baddies (remember that famous official dev post saying people are unsubbing in droves because of us?).

In 2.6 we got just a tiny bit of love and...forums were flooded with cry babies again so 2 weeks later another big nerf is announced and i could again live with it but two things i cannot agree with:

1. nerfing a class because of forum crying

2. nerfing our most important skill - HS (i would mention roll nerf too but i can live with this).

And the second video where most people just stay still as they cannot even execute skills:

still looks better than Lotro;  performance wise...  which, admittedly, isn't saying much.  ;)

Jan/Feb 2012, you mean?

It was only launched in December 2011 ;)

Yes that is what i meant ;) Corrected now.

snip

I was there well after the fix too, lag may be the reason Bioware gave, but that wasn't the reason. Having only 2 factions and one side being hopelessly outnumbered and no way to remedy the situation was why Ilum was scrapped. Bioware had no clue how to handle open world PvP.

As for Scoudrels and Ops getting nerfed, GOOD! They deserved to be nerfed as they were ridiculously OP, I played an Op, I know exactly how OP they were. No class should be able to 2 shot a well geared tank class and 1 shot every non-tank class.

As for lag, ToR is a bit laggy when solo questing, it's just a bad engine IMO, because it certainly isn't the graphics which I always thought were rather bland. I bought my current rig just to play ToR and it still seemed a bit slow to me.