LOTROCommunity

Turbine: "Prepare for battle like Frodo with Sting! Design your own weapon today!"

Tinker

I logged into the game tonight for the first time in quite a while and saw this message:

20140307LOTROhd_en.png

Wondering if it was some kind of new event or cosmetic weapon feature, I clicked on the link and it took me to...The Store. What a surprise. rolleyes2.gif  Seems they are just having a 'sale' on Legacies, Scroll of Combination (whatever that is) and Relic Removal Scrolls. So, does Turbine still insist that LOTRO is not pay-to-win?

If one considers constructing an ideal LI to be winning, then I suppose this could be considered paying to win faster than grinding it out yourself.

I think there used to be some store-exclusive relics. But if they're still available, I doubt they're any better than what you can meld in the game.

I personally only consider something pay-to-win if it's a store exclusive (something you couldn't find on the AH or get as loot) and has a meaningful (not simply measurable) effect on player power.

Considering you can complete a 12-man skraid with only a cosmetic weapon and the fact that there's no challenging end-game for a year, only a fool would buy that stuff... :P

A blank LI is its own cosmetic weapon.

Good points, both of you. I suppose it's all moot now that there is no challenge to the game anymore. 

Considering you can complete a 12-man skraid with only a cosmetic weapon and the fact that there's no challenging end-game for a year, only a fool would buy that stuff... :P

A blank LI is its own cosmetic weapon.

_O-  Agreed! Sad but true. 

Okay, back to Rift. :)

I think there used to be some store-exclusive relics. But if they're still available, I doubt they're any better than what you can meld in the game.

They were added to the meld panel. Eventually. I dont think the store has any relics which arent obtainable through other means now.

They were added to the meld panel. Eventually. I dont think the store has any relics which arent obtainable through other means now.

True.

On the subject of relics atm: HD didn't really add any new relics worthwhile. I'm still using my RoR relics save one IIRC.  For some reason Turbine didn't bother to put HD top tier relics in the store like they did for RoR. Didn't they sell? What's up with keeping the Store supplied with sellable goodies?

Just FYI, a Scroll of Combination increases your chance for criticals when combining relics for 30(?) minutes.

Back in the day, it used to be a thing to take all your Skirmish marks and fill your bags with bartered Tier 1 or 2 relic boxes, then use a Scroll of Combination to try to grind them into a few high-level relics. It was a bit of a mini-game to see how many times you could click the Combine Relics button before the 30-minute duration ran out...

I don't think you actually get more relics on criticals anymore, but you get shards from them, which can be used to create more relics, or "meld" various other LI accessory scrolls.

Urrgh, so Frodo designed his own weapon, did he? Have the people who write that kind of stuff ever read the books?

I actually find it more likely that they've read the books than played their own game, if they've done either. The marketing folks have occasionally demonstrated a lack of understanding of how the items and services they're advertising really work.

I think Aragorn and Andúril would be a better fit for advertising LI services, since that weapon was actually reforged and renamed.

Urrgh, so Frodo designed his own weapon, did he? Have the people who write that kind of stuff ever read the books?

It doesn't say that he did, notice the different font and line, what they mean is that Frodo was prepared for battle with sting, and you can design your own weapon to be like his.

It's kind of stretching the mechanics though, you can't exactly make your weapon like sting, but you can customize it.

I'm surprised that it's only been brought up now as they've used the same tag line on about half a dozen occasions over the years since LI's were introduced and I don't recall it being brought up before.

If one considers constructing an ideal LI to be winning, then I suppose this could be considered paying to win faster than grinding it out yourself.

I personally only consider something pay-to-win if it's a store exclusive (something you couldn't find on the AH or get as loot) and has a meaningful (not simply measurable) effect on player power.

I agree pretty much, so does the Game Director at Rift; "Bill Fisher: We have very specific rules on what is OK and what is not OK to sell. Our goal is to not have anything on the store that is Best In Slot and only acquired from the store for credits. There are plenty of things that can only be earned by playing the game and we intend to keep it that way."

The only Turbine store item I can think of that really makes me frown is Store Trackers and Store Potions that some people use in the moors. I have ridiculed people for using them, and think less of them as a result. I freely admit it.

I would rather not see any BiS stuff in the store at all, I'd rather stores be just fluff and mounts, but I think Rift's compromise is generally acceptable considering how flexible their F2P model is.

I recall when EQ2 first started thinking about Bazaar servers, I answered the questionnaire and expressed my negativity with RMT for gear and I was clearly in a minority as they made them anyway. What do they say about standing in the way of "progress"?

Just FYI, a Scroll of Combination increases your chance for criticals when combining relics for 30(?) minutes.

Back in the day, it used to be a thing to take all your Skirmish marks and fill your bags with bartered Tier 1 or 2 relic boxes, then use a Scroll of Combination to try to grind them into a few high-level relics. It was a bit of a mini-game to see how many times you could click the Combine Relics button before the 30-minute duration ran out...

I don't think you actually get more relics on criticals anymore, but you get shards from them, which can be used to create more relics, or "meld" various other LI accessory scrolls.

You still get both more relics and shards as well.

And after doing 10 levels of levelling and continously replacing 7 of 10 LI-slots it is still a challenge to finish all your melding within that 30 minute duration. Also, bring cash. Lots of it.

The "Become Legendary" ads must have been getting old. 

I made a joke about this store ad in another thread here.

"Design your own weapon"  is a bit more deceptive.  They make it seem like a contest or event. 

It is more sad that they are sticking with the VIP only updates after they bilked players out of 40$ for an empty xpac.  While it is nice to see Vip's get something for there contribution, it would have been a better gesture to offer the first update as free to all players in order to show some goodwill.  Most players I play with who bought HD or got it through TP are no longer subscribers and session play is not going to tempt them back or get them to spend more money on sub fees.   We also have a ton of players in my own kin who reached 95 without buying the xpac or being subbed.

Let's face it this update is not going to keep players busy for more than a week or 2.

As far as the deceptive ads for the store?  Expect more incoming.

I always found it somewhat deceptive that so many ads and splash screens featured cosmetics that were in game, but with bright vibrant colors. Yet in-game almost everything is confined to nasty dreary shades of puke no matter what dye you use, or with un-dyable portions that look like crap. I've read some of the self-promoting pomp in dev notes from the art team and it leaves me rolling my eyes.

The deceptive practice that topped it for me was the destiny point scam. Premiums are encouraged to spend TP to unlock perks, and then you cannot use them. VIPs can, but they do not have to unlock them. So they offer a service for sale that does nothing. Can't call it a bug in my mind.

There is also the hype on box sets that they include "Shadows of Angmar", implying that you are buying more than just one expansion. Well that is the engine, the same one you download as a demo.

Then there is the inconvenience they put you through to remove your payment information. Which they don't really remove. The hoops to find where and how to cancel a sub and then verify it. As if they have a death grip on your wallet. 

Did Frodo ever do a real "battle", in the true sense of the word, like when medieval soldiers would put on max armor and bring out the big swords and not the everyday stuff?

The closest thing that comes to mind is the chamber of records, and that was hardly a prepared battle, especially not from the side of the freeps.

Merry and Pippin did two battles each but Frodo?

DOnt think Frodo fights to much. He is there on Amol Sul and gets stabbed and hitches a lift to Rivendell. He gets stabbed again in MOria before running away. He runs away and Amon Hen. Next he gets stabbed by Shelob and captured and then breaks out and runs away with Sams help. He puts up a little fight against Gollum before the ring is destroyed. Lastly he does no fighting in the Shire at all.

So to sum up he runs away alot and gets stabbed alot, not much of a hero

DOnt think Frodo fights to much. He is there on Amol Sul and gets stabbed and hitches a lift to Rivendell. He gets stabbed again in MOria before running away. He runs away and Amon Hen. Next he gets stabbed by Shelob and captured and then breaks out and runs away with Sams help. He puts up a little fight against Gollum before the ring is destroyed. Lastly he does no fighting in the Shire at all.

So to sum up he runs away alot and gets stabbed alot, not much of a hero

Nah. The legacies on his LI suck, that must be it.

Did Frodo ever do a real "battle", in the true sense of the word, like when medieval soldiers would put on max armor and bring out the big swords and not the everyday stuff?

The only time that Frodo ever actively participated in a battle was when he stabbed the troll's foot in Mazarbul.  That's it.

Suddenly, and to his own surprise, Frodo felt a hot wrath blaze up in his heart. 'The Shire!' he cried, and springing beside Boromir, he stooped, and stabbed with Sting at the hideous foot. There was a bellow, and the foot jerked back, nearly wrenching Sting from Frodo's arm. Black drops dripped from the blade and smoked on the floor. Boromir hurled himself against the door and slammed it again.