LOTROCommunity

What time period was your favorite as a Lotro player

Thequinn

My favorite time of the game was SoA and MoM.  This was my first MMO, and I'm a huge Middle-earth fan.  The Shire was beautiful, and it's still my favorite zone in the game.  I started playing June 2008, so I didn't get to do a ton of SoA endgame content because I only hit level 50 a few weeks before MoM's release.  But I remember lots of Rift and a few Helegrod runs in there.  

MoM was the Golden Age of LOTRO for me - even with the Minstrel nerf.  I was the first mini leveled in my kin so I got to run all the new 6-mans over and over.  They are still my favorite instances in the game.  There was always something going on.  It was always easy to find a group.  The story telling was magnificent.

SoM was a slight disappointment because of having to regrind LIs and obtain more radiance.  But I still enjoyed the instances (mostly - not the prison one, ugh).  Still had a lot of great times in SoM though.

When F2P hit, my kin disintegrated, and that was devastating to me.  A lot of people are commenting on how great ITA and ToO was, but I really didn't get to experience that.  Had my kinship still been around, I might have enjoyed the game very much up through RoI.

I also really enjoyed the Great River region and Limlight Gorge area.  It was so easy to join a PUG and do the group dailies.

Oh this is a tough one. There were so many great points in the game's life time. Either due to the people I played with, or the content itself. My favorite part of the game content wise was/is probably Mirkwood. Everything about it just felt right. From the atmosphere, to the urgency in the story, to the landscape. It was pretty near perfect in my opinion. Also, we got a full instance cluster with it ON LAUNCH and it still only cost $20. That's awesome. 

Other parts of the game... Social interactions are always the strongest part of an MMO. If you have group content, people will band together and they'll foster friendships and have good laughs. Stuff that Turbine doesn't even need to purposely create, but is fostered due to the content that is there. I remember during one DN run on the trolls at the start, we were on our 5th attempt (somewhere around there). A hunter in our kin/raid group accidentally pressed DN and over voice chat this is what we hear: "Umm.... Guys... I think I may have pressed Desperate Flight.." We gave him hell for it and he would laugh with us about it. It was a running joke whenever he joined a group until he finally quit the game. That's the type of thing I love about MMOs, and the type of community lotro had really highlighted this part of the game.

In my thread asking about who still plays lotro, I posted a story somewhere along these lines, and since it's relevant to what I'm talking about here, I'll copy and paste it:

"The best guy I've met in game was from a lone lands group quest back when I started playing. The elite area just outside of the Forsaken Inn. We then did a run to Rivendell after that, and a few days later decided to take our level 20 and 30 characters (respectively at the time) into Angmar to see how far we could get. It was such a blast. And I'm still in contact with him to this day (albeit out of game mostly now). That's what Turbine needs to realize and focus on again in my opinion if they want to return the game to the greatness it once held."

----

Aside from Mirkwood, it's hard for me to think of my next favorite time period or zone in lotro. I loved when I first joined the game in 2008 because of the sense of discovery. I actually had fun joining a random pug group in the Trollshaws around level 33ish and grinding my way to 35-36 by raiding elite spiders and trolls. I enjoyed co-running a kinship with a friend who's long stopped playing, even though it was difficult. I essentially loved everything up until RoR when people stopped playing and the charm that made lotro unique vanished. It's still there in the occasional quest so I'll keep playing casually, but its not the same.

I wasn't playing Lotro in SoA times, althrough from what I've experienced in SoA regions - I think I would've liked SoA times most. 

I've joined between Moria and SoA release and so 60-65 level times until F2P conversion were my best time.    F2P conversion ruined game for me, Store really was sucking out enjoyment that I got from playing.     Additionally secondary things that made Lotro worse for me were:  skirmishes, token grind focus,  instance panel&teleportation, increase in streamlining and linearity of game generally and newer regions specifically.  

Lothlorien was preety looking but bad gameplay, Mirkwood zone even worse,  Enedwaith was terrible.

"In their absence" dungeon cluster was preety good, but instances alone is not enough reason to keep playing and having fun when everything else was ruined.

Pre-F2P. I liked the game so much better without the store. I came a bit late to the game - post Moria but a year? before F2P. When I was a sub and there was no store was the best - even though I note a few game improvements like shared storage made things a bit better - but the store (for me) made the game much worse.

+1

PS.  Exploits are another reason I got tired of Lotro.  I will not accept such amount of exploits and such ignorance is not fixing them in another mmorpg - if I will play another one again.   Exploits are one of top problems and should be fixed ASAP, parts of game that are exploitable should be turned off when under fixing and exploiters should be punished.  Turbine did really BAD job in this department and I would not be able to accept such attitude towards those things again.

PS.  Exploits are another reason I got tired of Lotro.

Sometimes the difference between exploit and creative emergent player gameplay isn't as easy as one might thingk. I've seen DDO comments in several occasions where the developers response was basically 'We didnt think of that solution, but we approve of your creativity, we're not going to change it'.

Admiral, they have been super slow at stopping exploits...

Recently:

Saruman clasp - still possible

Hytbolt 'train'

Durchest symbols

Wildemore 'train'

Erebor cluster(fuck) ;)

Those all relatively recent, and did extreme damage to the economy.

Admiral, they have been super slow at stopping exploits...

Recently:

Saruman clasp - still possible

Hytbolt 'train'

Durchest symbols

Wildemore 'train'

Erebor cluster(fuck) ;)

Those all relatively recent, and did extreme damage to the economy.

I wont argue with Saruman Clasp. Both trains (welcome Open taping), and the Durchest symbols WERE intentional.  The removal of the Durchest symbols was because players weren't choosing to complete the rest of the raid at all because it was better to just farm the first boss.

The problem with their trains, wasn't the trains themselves, its that they chose to make randomly acquired very-rare loot, highly desirable.; More desirable than firstages or lootboxes/keys. Not kicking players out of public instances that weren't supposed to be open today, was another problem entirely, caused by not canceling people's in-progress quests each day so they could get a new 5 quests no matter what for the day.

As for the 1% or so drop rate of FE's in Erebor T1 til it got patched. I still dont believe that was a bug.

yes. Flight had various bugs, and a couple clear exploits, but by and large, I reject your list.

Drastic economy impacts don't indicate an exploit, just poor planning and a lack of long-term vision.

Sometimes the difference between exploit and creative emergent player gameplay isn't as easy as one might thingk. I've seen DDO comments in several occasions where the developers response was basically 'We didnt think of that solution, but we approve of your creativity, we're not going to change it'.

Sometimes.  That's a good word.  Sometimes.

There were plenty of clear without a doubt of bugs / exploits not fixed for months or more.

Exploits in many dungeons that allowed to kill stuff / complete boss fights with ease or sometimes even without risk of losing,  exploits that allowed looting chests multiple times, exploits that allowed characters to get statistics (agility, vitality, etc)  into ridiculous numbers, pvpm renown farming and many more.

That is only exploits that allowed players to get more by using game bugs. There is also case of bugs that were simply very annoying and that were not fixed for years.   (was i.e. Dungeon of Dol Guldur final fight got fixed yet?,  do mobs or chests still bug in dungeons making it impossible to loot them?)

==================

Another thing I forgot in my earlier post.

Transferring servers to US.  That was inexcluseable as well.   This made my game experience much worse, tripling my latency and introducing me to "wonders" of packet lost,  gimped my characters and my ability to play, not to mention was irritating as hell and also contributed to me leaving Lotro.

A couple of months after launch (when I started playing) to SoM for me. After that and the introduction of F2P it has been coming back for shorter and shorter periods to experienced new content. After HD butchered my toons I can't see myself coming back except for maybe the last day before the servers are finally switched off.

I wont argue with Saruman Clasp. Both trains (welcome Open taping), and the Durchest symbols WERE intentional. The removal of the Durchest symbols was because players weren't choosing to complete the rest of the raid at all because it was better to just farm the first boss.

The problem with their trains, wasn't the trains themselves, its that they chose to make randomly acquired very-rare loot, highly desirable.; More desirable than firstages or lootboxes/keys. Not kicking players out of public instances that weren't supposed to be open today, was another problem entirely, caused by not canceling people's in-progress quests each day so they could get a new 5 quests no matter what for the day.

As for the 1% or so drop rate of FE's in Erebor T1 til it got patched. I still dont believe that was a bug.

yes. Flight had various bugs, and a couple clear exploits, but by and large, I reject your list.

Drastic economy impacts don't indicate an exploit, just poor planning and a lack of long-term vision.

DDG exploit also? Another rejection that took too long to fix.

Of course there are more, but these are just the recent ones off the top of my head.

To me an exploit is the taking advantage of a weakness in the system... Whether that is as a result of poor planning by the Dev's or easymode players.

Pretty much as per usual... If it feels too good to be true, it probably is.

Anyway, this is off topic so apologies OP.

Sometimes.  That's a good word.  Sometimes.

There were plenty of clear without a doubt of bugs / exploits not fixed for months or more.

Exploits in many dungeons that allowed to kill stuff / complete boss fights with ease or sometimes even without risk of losing,  exploits that allowed looting chests multiple times, exploits that allowed characters to get statistics (agility, vitality, etc)  into ridiculous numbers, pvpm renown farming and many more.

I absolutely concur. Except for the Reknown farming. that was just unsportsmanlike. I remember specific and other incidents. I was simply pointing out its not always black and white, and disagreeing with most of the list of examples presented.

From Shadows of Angmar until Mines of Moria was released. You could find groups, PvP actually worked, crafting had a purpose, running instances took a long time, but they were fun and challenging.

Everything started going downhill after Mines of Moria and the game has been sliding down that hill ever since.

Hard to identify one specific time. I would say from the time I started playing (just after Evendim came out) until the post-F2P content drought really started to bite.

I really hated Enedwaith, which had no rewards worth mentioning, and felt like garbage filler material.

I had mostly stopped playing and switched to WoW by the time ITA and OD came out, and never really fully participated in the game again. Gave RoR a shot and ... yeah, back to WoW. Gave HD beta a shot and ... yeah.

The end of SoA was a lot of fun, just because MMO's were completely new to me, and there was real sense of discovering something new almost every time I logged in.

I remember doing Helchgam for the first time, and thinking it was incredibly hard.

I remember being dragooned into the Rift for the first time by a group that needed an LM, despite my telling them I was a total newb.

I remember going to the Moors for the first time on my Burglar, and discovering God Mode.

I remember rolling a Creep for the first time, and discovering that the Creeps on my server were only over-powered because they were better players and much better organized. I never took a Freep to the Moors again.

...I didn't know the difference between "need" and "greed", and decided that "need" sounded more polite.

This is the same exact thing I did at first lol.  Lotro was the first game I played that had a need/greed system so I had to go look it up.

I started at f2p so I'm not sure I'm a good judge of favorite time period overall but I know what part of the game I liked the most.

Looking back, I definitely most enjoyed Moria.  Funny thing that.  As I played it, many times I would get frustrated by the darkness, the topography, the monsters, getting around, figuring out all of the instances, etc.  It was immersive and challenging .  Now I realize that is why I had so much fun.  I didn't understand this until I continued playing the newer content.

I started at f2p so I'm not sure I'm a good judge of favorite time period overall but I know what part of the game I liked the most.

Looking back, I definitely most enjoyed Moria.  Funny thing that.  As I played it, many times I would get frustrated by the darkness, the topography, the monsters, getting around, figuring out all of the instances, etc.  It was immersive and challenging .  Now I realize that is why I had so much fun.  I didn't understand this until I continued playing the newer content.

This is true for me as well.  I couldn't wait to get to Moria, and my main got there before the revamps - I'm so glad I got one character thru there before all the changes.

I started my account Aug 2007.  I have reminisced the long nights, frustrations and accomplishments from SOA, Mine of Moria, Mirkwood, all the way up to ROI.  ROR I played a few days did mounted combat and did not log in since. 

And lets not forget the ettenmoors, oh yea the rage of people flipping to QQ after you ganked them or how much of a BADDIE you or they where. Despite the imbalance and the F2P model I really wanted this game to go on but my kinship left the game a long time ago.

I loved Moria, the art design of that place was amazing!  Easy to get lost in some areas, and LOTRO was my first MMO I ever played so this game will always have a place in my heart which is heavy from how fast the game and the company made sure to take a nose dive into hell.

I think we all have/or had a passion for this game, I wish I could log into enjoy the game but can not bring myself to do it.

As Frodo once said "How do you pick up the threads of an old life, how do you go on, and in your heart you begin to understand, there is no going back, there things that time can not mend, some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold."

I started playing LOTRO in the stress test beta before the game launched.  I had a blast and could see that I could totally get addicted to it.  Unfortunately, at that time in my life I could not afford to put the time into it or the money.  So I let it slide and watched from afar.

When I heard that LOTRO was going Free to Play I jumped in with a passion.  I thought it was a great idea to not have to pay if I ever was not going to be playing.  Turned out I ended up subscribing from day 1 and only this month will my subscription expire.

My favorite period of the game is the In Their Absence -> Rise of Isengard -> Riders of Rohan release.  In that period of time I was running instances and raiding daily and meeting lots of cool people.  The grouping/raiding community was really healthy during this period.

The fun feeling ended when Update 9 hit and the instances got gold loot and completely screwed up pRNG rolls.

I still ran things a lot trying to get them golds but dammit was I ever cursed.  So many people burned out during this period and this was the start of the downfall of the game.  Many of my friends were leaving and some that had been taking a break due to real life things just didn't want to come back because of how crappy the loot system was.

Now the game is a ghost town.  I miss my friends :(

• Upvote 1

As Frodo once said "How do you pick up the threads of an old life, how do you go on, and in your heart you begin to understand, there is no going back, there things that time can not mend, some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold."

Good post, but I have to interject: Frodo never said that.

Except in Peter Jackson's butchered, made-up Hollywood ending.

Sorry for the derail; it's a pet peeve (seeing Jackson et al's pabulum attributed to Tolkien...)

I think this really sums up LOTRO for me. Every so often I revisit the game, and try to enjoy it like I once did. Too much has changed though, and that feeling I once had for the game will never return. I think that's something that has made it so hard for me to enjoy other MMO's, because it's quite hard to enjoy another game as much as I enjoyed LOTRO.

I feel like I've been in limbo for the past few years, as far as gaming is concerned.

I agree, Art.  Though for me it's really only been since last summer.  I played daily though.  Daily.  Wake up, check the AH over a cup of coffee, go to work, come home and check AH, do a daily Warband kill or daily quest, see what the raid group was up to, run out to the Moors or work toward that next piece of gear that would make my equipment that much better for raiding, etc etc.  I had goals for myself and my friends I was constantly aware of.  That's gone and it's been weird not having it around.

Rift didn't do it for me.  SWTOR for a time was cool but didn't do it.  Returning to EQ2 after 6 years away was fun for the winter festival but didn't do it for me.  I'm hoping this gives me back my daily fix, gives something for my family and friends to do together again, etc.

I think my favorite time was cap at 50 in Angmar.  I know, I know.  I'm an old geezer, what can I say.  I really had no clue about MMOs but I utterly loved learning the entire concept of working as a team, trying to survive in Carn Dum and Urugarth and then learning what my Loremaster could do for a group.  He felt like a secret god to me back then.  Next closest I think was discovering Moria and all the amazing instances we had at the two year span of staying put at 65. 

I got into Bullroarer for Mirkwood, and tested all other expansions after that.  Mirkwood was probably hands down my favorite area after Rift, doing crazy runs in Ashenslades with my Cappie and getting into all the instances every night with my kin, then finally beating the Lieutenant had us up all night on TS celebrating the first time we did it.  We also ran so many skirmishes I had over 300K points on my LM as about close to that on my cappie before Isengard went live.

Everything in Isengard felt really boring and bland to me, including ToO unfortunately.  Mostly, I remember laughing too hard to see the screen when we had to jump around like jelly beans in Acid wing... somebody saying: "you have got to be fucking kidding me? this is what they come up with?" lol.  CM didn't really feel like much of a challenge it just seemed longer fight with more of the same stuff.  That being said, it was worlds better than anything in Rohan.

I lost most of my kin when Rohan came out, and the rest bailed during beta in HD... me included.

I think this really sums up LOTRO for me. Every so often I revisit the game, and try to enjoy it like I once did. Too much has changed though, and that feeling I once had for the game will never return. I think that's something that has made it so hard for me to enjoy other MMO's, because it's quite hard to enjoy another game as much as I enjoyed LOTRO.

Same for me.  I don't expect to find another game to capture my interest the way LOTRO did.  When I do play now it's not the same at all.