LOTROCommunity

cat out of the bag: new class

Tarantula

A long time ago I detailed a couple of hypothetical new classes I brainstormed, from concept to skillsets to their application in combat. Considering how little effort they're putting in to the game nowadays, I'd only be half-shocked if they nicked one of those ideas. :P

I am sure It has been said before but: let them fix all the current classes and everything else. Let them introduce a new creepclass first. Let them diaf. hehe harsh I know.

On a serious note: I suspect it will be a captain-esque class for elves, hobbit, and possibly dwarves.

With a lot of debuffs, moderate range, off heals. Not sure about what armour it would have, probably heavy, since rk/warden were light/medium.

(Or indeed more zapzap, with uberdps, uberheals, ubereverything and over the top animations and flashy stuff to grab some more cash from the hundreds of thousands of new customers) B)

Anyway, I cba arsed playing it, buying it, looking at it, as it will probably one or two-shot me anyway :) If I play at all ;)

A new class that must be bought in the store by anyone wishing to use it isn't going to be a huge success I predict. Not when the core remains as it is. The core needs addressing, and sadly we already know what the priorities are. The only thing this new class would have going for it would be that it's designed to work with the new trait trees, unlike the other 9 that were gutted. That sounds so nice, an MMO with one class designed specifically for the new trait system. And why a new class anyway, it's not like the game is so hard players would need to try a different play style to "WIN".

Yep, I'm on-board for that one for sure.

A long time ago I detailed a couple of hypothetical new classes I brainstormed, from concept to skillsets to their application in combat. Considering how little effort they're putting in to the game nowadays, I'd only be half-shocked if they nicked one of those ideas. :P

What were those?

I'm not trawling through the whole forum to look for them ;)

I would not be surprised if the class was +95 only, bought in store or available to people at 95 already.

Doubtful. Very doubtful.

What were those?

I'm not trawling through the whole forum to look for them ;)

I dont have time at the moment either to dig them up, but I remember them being pretty interesting at the time.

Purchase only by money, same as automated transfers? :P

I think Turbine would be foolish to just give it away.  Unlocking for 1k tp minimum would seem to be a necessity.

1k would be too little with lotro.Points have 'less' actual value there I think because its much easier to earn them than DDO.  I'd honestly like to see 2-3k TP, or a $10-15 cash purchase as a permanent unlock (With some kind of other perk, such as an exclusive cosmetic). Or 'Free' while VIP. Lock class after til you purchase (Like non Reaver creeps are now!)

I'd say, look at the pricing for Warden/RK in the Store, and that's what it's likely to be for non-VIPs.

Both of those were added in year 2. It's a pretty 'old' content price. I'd expect higher. At least initially.

Of course, adding a new class when there is no new content, existing or planned, where class abilities matter, is idiotic.

That's assuming that when the class is released there's no new announcement regarding content.

I still think it will be a Knight, and it's due to be released at the end of the year. I suspect at the very least it will coincide with moving towards Gondor, or at the most, we'll already have moved towards Gondor and an Xpac announcement.

New content will be added.

Just because it's not content that you'll like doesn't mean it's not content.

Are we seriously back to this pathetic level of argument?

Content = Anything added to the game which increases what's in the game, be it landmass, Epic story, new classes, group quests, instance clusters, new systems.

Content = Anything added to the game which increases what's in the game, be it landmass, Epic story, new classes, group quests, instance clusters, new systems.

We actually had a somewhat lengthy discussion last night on LPN about what they thought qualified as a content update,rather than just a QoL fix/necessity. One of the major factors was 'level of change'. So, say, like the ND/MM/TS 'revamps' might not be a content update, while the Evendim one (which seemed to add roughly 50% more content to the region) might qualify.

New content will be added.

Just because it's not content that you'll like doesn't mean it's not content.

Are we seriously back to this pathetic level of argument?

If there is none of the above additions you are pointing out, and rather merely adding another class to the game, I see another class being added as pointless.  In my mind it is always preferrable to see a new class added to a game when there are expansions to the overall content, story, etc. - not JUST the new class for the sake of a new class.  See it as pathetic if you wish but I see it as practical in this case.  They should be annoucing what it is exactly and what other content is planned.

Systems, like a class, are only tools with which to experience content. They are definitely not the same.

The only zero-sum situation in dropping funds into mechanics without additional content is PvP (essentially player-created content). But we know how Turbine feels about PvMP.

Otherwise yet another system without content is... negative sum.

Of course, the only rational counter at this point might be that the zone revamps for new alt play will be "new content," except that the revamps are coming long before the new class...

More BBs? Well, you don't exactly need class skills, right?

Systems, like a class, are only tools with which to experience content. They are definitely not the same.

The only zero-sum situation in dropping funds into mechanics without additional content is PvP (essentially player-created content). But we know how Turbine feels about PvMP.

Otherwise yet another system without content is... negative sum.

Of course, the only rational counter at this point might be that the zone revamps for new alt play will be "new content," except that the revamps are coming long before the new class...

More BBs? Well, you don't exactly need class skills, right?

I think it's a valid point to consider.  I hardly think it 'pathetic' to bring up the new class without new content 'where class skills matter'.

But I'm not sure I agree with it.  A new class might be something many would genuinely enjoy as a new experience in traveling through the old content.  Having a new class to take through the 'revamped' zones might have value for a lot of people and does have some semblance of logic there.  There's nothing to get excited about once you get to the cap, of course, but for some it would be an appealing journey....a journey to nowhere, perhaps, but a journey nonetheless.

Edit: Without the new class, many people would likely have little reason to go back through the revamped zones.  The features seem to tie in together.