LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
mtones

It's the little things

Ok, so this has no doubt been said elsewhere, but... I am always amazed by the way that this game updates fixes and favorable changes to even simple things.

I logged in this morning to experience some bug free play time (after getting sick of bug-testing ESO bug-beta, oy!), to discover in my dims that the usual shiney, greenish-looking "wall" that will mark the cut off points to the spaces has mysteriously vanished.  I wondered if it was my computer somehow but then I realized I haven't changed any settings.  I popped into all my dims and found the same thing.  Very refreshing since it no longer spoils my view to look out over a section of the dimension which is not accessible.

It may seem silly, but these kinds of things always impress me about this game. In seven months of play I have not had a single bug, lag, issue with anything, just smooth playtime.  Granted I am not yet at cap since I am slow poking my way through everything and making lots of chars, but it just feels very refreshing to be in a game that is so well put together :)

I logged in this morning to experience some bug free play time (after getting sick of bug-testing ESO bug-beta, oy!), to discover in my dims that the usual shiney, greenish-looking "wall" that will mark the cut off points to the spaces has mysteriously vanished.  I wondered if it was my computer somehow but then I realized I haven't changed any settings.  I popped into all my dims and found the same thing.  Very refreshing since it no longer spoils my view to lookout over a section of the dimension which is not accessible.

This is one suggestion I am actually PROUD to take credit for. :D

I have been (gently) bugging Faratha about making this effect visible only in edit mode since last summer.

• Upvote 1

I have been (gently) bugging Faratha about making this effect visible only in edit mode since last summer.

Yay!  Well thank you, thank you! hehe.  I love that I can now see all the way to the horizons without the break in my view :)

That was you, Fred? *hobbit hugs* Removing the green wall wasn't a small thing! That bugged the crap out of me for the longest time as the biggest downside to dims. The bonus of seeing it in edit mode is great.

I'll have more to add in a bit, but I remember when Trion simply moved a port in Freemarch across a quest area to the main hub. So much more convenient.

That was you, Fred? *hobbit hugs* Removing the green wall wasn't a small thing! That bugged the crap out of me for the longest time as the biggest downside to dims. The bonus of seeing it in edit mode is great.

I'll have more to add in a bit, but I remember when Trion simply moved a port in Freemarch across a quest area to the main hub. So much more convenient.

I'm sure it wasn't just me. After all, it's a pretty obvious suggestion. I was just very persistent about it any time I could get her attention for a few minutes. :)

It's nice to see that you're sharing your gift for suggestions/feedback with other games, and that they are making improvements as a result!

You may not have been the only user, but I can appreciate that a relationship between a specific user and staffer, can get the 'little things' done just because you've grown fond of them as a player, and can find someone willing to put in the time in offhours. After all, it may be something that's annoyed them, but they've never had work time they could use. Seeing other players want it, and are passionate can imbue them with the 'product pride' to just get it done.

It's things like this that make me really wish I liked Rift. It seems to do everything right, from content, to community relations, to the little things. However, I just can't seem to get into the game and that makes me sad because it seems like a really great game. But yeah, stuff like this is really great.

It's things like this that make me really wish I liked Rift. It seems to do everything right, from content, to community relations, to the little things. However, I just can't seem to get into the game and that makes me sad because it seems like a really great game. But yeah, stuff like this is really great.

It's not for everyone, that's for sure. ;) Since I enjoyed WoW before, the transition wasn't too difficult for me; the lore certainly can't hold a candle to Tolkien, but many of the individual questlines, especially the story quests, can be interesting. Honestly, when Rift came out, I never thought I would enjoy it; the only reason why I tried it last year was because the trait tree discussions had people saying "If you want to see trees done right, play Rift."

Some other "little things" that I happen to remember...

Extending the Fae Yule festival by a week per player request.

Extending the Carnival event by a week per player request.

And then adding another weekly quest for an extra doubloon (4 total!), totally unexpected.

Adding a nicely designed barbershop to Tempest Bay (NPCs to change your toon appearance).

Changing the colors of crafting resource nodes you see on the minimap so you can instantly tell the difference between metal/plant/fish/etc.

Adding rest xp gain to dimensions (I don't care about that, but it's still a nice change).

Changed dimension item loot earned from fishing to unbound and thus trade-able (yay).

Speaking of fishing, removing the timer from Tempest Bay fishing derby quests so if you log out, it can still be completed.

etc.

And Trion patches weekly, so it's not uncommon for them to fix only a single thing during maintenance (like a starter area questline, when I first started playing). This is waaaay better than waiting for a giant roll-up the way Turbine does...

The only thing Rift really lacks is a coherent story from start to finish. This is something that keeps me from truly investing in it emotionally.

But you're right, it pushes almost ALL the right buttons when it comes to building a general interest themepark MMO. That's what keeps me coming back. They're not afraid to try risky things, triumph when it works, and admit when they're wrong. Playing Rift helps me figure out what I like in (or what I'd like added to) other games.

• Upvote 1

Oddly enough it's not the story or lack of that bothers me. The game just feels... "off" gameplay wise. Don't really know how to explain it other than it just never clicked for me. And I played WoW for years before coming over to lotro (and returned to WoW every so often during a lotro break afterwards), which just makes it even more odd that I can't get into it.

EDIT: It may just be that I haven't found a class (soul?) that I like yet. This is usually integral to enjoying combat in an MMO.

I think that's a very big reason (finding a class soul-combo that "fits"). The soul system offers a whole lot of choices that can be really daunting to someone just starting out.... It wasn't until much later when I realized my main should've been a cleric instead of warrior (I got it in my head that clerics are only good for healing and nothing else :P), but since I know a healing soul is coming to warrior in 3.0, I'm looking forward to recreating a captain-ish. When I started, Storm Legion was already out, and I wasn't convinced that I would like the Tempest soul at all (the preview video did nothing for me); but in actual play, I found I really liked it. Oh well. The only downside is that, even though Rift content is 100% free, you still have to pay for expansion souls. For Storm Legion, I hate Harbinger and haven't tried Defiler, but love Tempest and Tactician. Hmm. If you have particular classes you enjoyed the most in WoW and LotRO, that might help narrow things down, in any case.

I think that's a very big reason (finding a class soul-combo that "fits"). The soul system offers a whole lot of choices that can be really daunting to someone just starting out.... It wasn't until much later when I realized my main should've been a cleric instead of warrior (I got it in my head that clerics are only good for healing and nothing else :P), but since I know a healing soul is coming to warrior in 3.0, I'm looking forward to recreating a captain-ish. When I started, Storm Legion was already out, and I wasn't convinced that I would like the Tempest soul at all (the preview video did nothing for me); but in actual play, I found I really liked it. Oh well. The only downside is that, even though Rift content is 100% free, you still have to pay for expansion souls. For Storm Legion, I hate Harbinger and haven't tried Defiler, but love Tempest and Tactician. Hmm. If you have particular classes you enjoyed the most in WoW and LotRO, that might help narrow things down, in any case.

My favorite has always been hunter, but I didn't like that in Rift. As I said, it felt off to me. I also enjoy rogue like classes (burglar was/is my second main character in lotro). However it seems like there's quite a few different souls I can choose if I want to go that route so I have no clue :P

EDIT: Oh, and I played a warlock when I first started WoW but that was back when I was a complete and utter noob to the genre (and video games in general really). I have no clue if it's a class that I'd enjoy today because my play style today is worlds apart from then.

My favorite has always been hunter, but I didn't like that in Rift. As I said, it felt off to me. I also enjoy rogue like classes (burglar was/is my second main character in lotro). However it seems like there's quite a few different souls I can choose if I want to go that route so I have no clue :P

EDIT: Oh, and I played a warlock when I first started WoW but that was back when I was a complete and utter noob to the genre (and video games in general really). I have no clue if it's a class that I'd enjoy today because my play style today is worlds apart from then.

I'll respond to this later in a different thread, I think. :)

Once upon a time I played many MMOs, but WoW was the one I kept coming back to.

Then I still played many MMOs, but LOTRO was the one I kept coming back to.

Since 2010,I play many MMOs, but Rift is the one I keep coming back to.

It isn't a perfect game, that's for sure. The community has its weak points and the storyline isn't the greatest. But what Rift does well, it does better than damn near any other MMORPG. Housing, Character builds, Events, all run by a company that understands "Keeping the players happy keeps them coming back, and spending their money with you."

I am also happy to see that the devs or GM's log in regularly to chat, what a nice thing to do!! :P

Problem is it doesn't at least not for me, the green wall has disappeared completely for me and I can't get it back on at all, which makes it extremely difficult for me to decorate how I want.

Problem is it doesn't at least not for me, the green wall has disappeared completely for me and I can't get it back on at all, which makes it extremely difficult for me to decorate how I want.

Hmm I'm pretty sure it did for me just after the release of Patch 2.6. I didn't test all my dimensions though. Have you tried messing with your graphics settings? Maybe it's only visible with certain combinations turned on.

Once upon a time I played many MMOs, but WoW was the one I kept coming back to.

Then I still played many MMOs, but LOTRO was the one I kept coming back to.

Since 2010,I play many MMOs, but Rift is the one I keep coming back to.

It isn't a perfect game, that's for sure. The community has its weak points and the storyline isn't the greatest. But what Rift does well, it does better than damn near any other MMORPG. Housing, Character builds, Events, all run by a company that understands "Keeping the players happy keeps them coming back, and spending their money with you."

Couldn't have said it better!:)

I've actually been playing this recently. Only at L7, but so far I can't work out what's going on. I can't tell what does what, whether I'm doing what I should be, what items really do in my bags and how to get to grips with this soul system. Occasionally I get an annoying American woman pop up and explain things to me but even those just don't make sense at times. It feels a bit like Aion, in that it takes some proper dedication to get into.

For all the shit that LotRO has become, it was at least easy to figure out from the start.

Edit: Oh and I forgot, some how I was randomly added to someone's party without me even knowing. I only realised when I spotted some weird waypoint someone else had made, then I saw their bars up in the barely looked at top left of my screen.

I've actually been playing this recently. Only at L7, but so far I can't work out what's going on. I can't tell what does what, whether I'm doing what I should be, what items really do in my bags and how to get to grips with this soul system. Occasionally I get an annoying American woman pop up and explain things to me but even those just don't make sense at times. It feels a bit like Aion, in that it takes some proper dedication to get into.

For all the shit that LotRO has become, it was at least easy to figure out from the start.

Edit: Oh and I forgot, some how I was randomly added to someone's party without me even knowing. I only realised when I spotted some weird waypoint someone else had made, then I saw their bars up in the barely looked at top left of my screen.

The souls system is really easy to just reset and play around with spending points in. At level 7 I wouldn't worry too much, just find something you enjoy by reading the description (ranged dps, melee tank etc...) and give that a try. The tutorials are a bit shit in Rift and it does take some figuring out, when I fist started years ago I kept finding artifacts for example with no clear understanding of what they were for.

If you enter a group event such as a Rift along with other people who have the auto group option turned on (it's on by default) then you auto group with them. You can turn it off by right clicking your portrait I think.

The souls system is really easy to just reset and play around with spending points in. At level 7 I wouldn't worry too much, just find something you enjoy by reading the description (ranged dps, melee tank etc...) and give that a try. The tutorials are a bit shit in Rift and it does take some figuring out, when I fist started years ago I kept finding artifacts for example with no clear understanding of what they were for.

If you enter a group event such as a Rift along with other people who have the auto group option turned on (it's on by default) then you auto group with them. You can turn it off by right clicking your portrait I think.

Yeah, what in the hell are artefacts?! I apparently had a thing to claim from the store, got a box, opened it up and got an artefact. It then told me I had another 4 random items to get to complete it. No idea where to do that or what they're even useful for, so I just kept following the quest chains.

Cheers for the auto group thing. I'll be sure to take it off ASAP.

Yeah, what in the hell are artefacts?! I apparently had a thing to claim from the store, got a box, opened it up and got an artefact. It then told me I had another 4 random items to get to complete it. No idea where to do that or what they're even useful for, so I just kept following the quest chains.

Artifacts are kind of like achievements I guess, they are rare finds throughout the world with some half decent rewards, some people spend ages being artifact hunters trying to get them all, there are hundreds and hundreds of them. Some people like me ignore the system completely and just sell them on the AH!

http://psiharis.com/rift/parser/

http://www.rift.rpgparadise.com/guides/general/298-rift-guide-completing-artifact-sets

I felt like that about Lotro when I started about a year ago. It was overwhelming. Mainly because leveling was so fast. Within a couple hours the amount of new stuff to figure out became overwhelming. A ton of new skills, virtues, traits, deeds, vocations and other systems. i was spending much more time on wiki than in game.

Plus I was getting pulled in all directions by the game, go quest here, no, you've outleveled everything so drop it and go quest there, now drop everything and follow an auto-bestow quest to a festival, spin this hobbit wheel, click on this blinking allert, click on the blinking loot queue, open the store.

And there were lots of simple inconsistencies that people stop noticing after a while. Like, my loot went into the queue, my crafted stuff went straight into bags, my gathered stuff popped up a loot window. Skirmish bosses had loot chests that I had to click, but they also dropped stuff into my loot queue, and sometimes I also had to click on a boss corpse and loot him manually. And then there were quest starting items that flooded the loot queue sometimes and deleted everything else in there. It's a simple enough thing, but it was frustrating for a while.

Lotro lacks polish, it has a lot of lazy unfinished counter intuitive gameplay features. Combine that with fast leveling at low levels, and lots of systems that get introduced at low levels, and it's overwhelming.  I imagine it's even worse now, because now they send newbies to big battles and Moors too, so that's two more progression systems at lvl 10.

My start in Rift feels much more smooth so far.

Oh I can't get enough of artifacts (yes, I have OCD tendencies)! I can't get enough of running around the mountain ranges and scraping the map boundaries to pick up the little sparkles!

But as far as startup goes, I like Rift much better than LOTRO. There are things that I don't fully understand, but once I get the questions answered, the answers make sense.