LOTROCommunity

Keyboards

Trilwych

I actually got to use an official IBM branded keyboard recently for the first time in years. It was amazing.

Well, IBM branded doesn't mean much, but if it was one of those famous "M" keyboards then Cherry Blue is your choice. (ETA: not red)

When you type at home, do neighbors call the police like they do when people use full Marshall stacks at home?

From the test in that video, the most quiet seems to be the black. So if the issue is just sound, I would go with that, but if the issue is less hand fatigue from typing, let alone better performance from the keys then it seems the blue would give the quickest feedback from the "bump" and then the brown?

I couldn't quite hear a big difference between blue/brown, though in reading about them, the blue should be louder given the additional audio feedback at middle-actuation. Both blue and brown switches have the tactile bump. Personally, I'm likely to invest in the O-rings since those would shorten the travel, and I've been using short-travel scissor switch keyboards for over a decade now...

The M doesn't have cherry keys, but cherry red has been modeled after the M.

My wife has two of those Ms. There's a reason why we don't need guns in the house.

Hehe. Man, that is f'ing loud then, lol.  But wait... I thought the reds where quieter than brown or blue.  How can the M be so loud if the cherry red switch is modeled on it?

I think the loudness of the reds and other switches without the tactile bump comes from the fact that you bottom out with the thunk. A touch typist on tactile switches should be able to register the keypress without bottoming out---hence no thunk, and if you use tactile switches without the audible click, it'd be even quieter. That's how I understand it, anyway...

Hehe. Man, that is f'ing loud then, lol.  But wait... I thought the reds where quieter than brown or blue.  How can the M be so loud if the cherry red switch is modeled on it?

I didn't mean the noise but the feel.

Now that we are discussing it, I should look up which keyboard I returned to Amazon because it was "too IBM M". Stand by.

I didn't mean the noise but the feel.

Now that we are discussing it, I should look up which keyboard I returned to Amazon because it was "too IBM M". Stand by.

Whoops.

The "IBM M" like thing I returned is Cherry Blue, not red.

Sorry for that. I am sure I am using Cherry Brown now which is just good quality with no special hack-it added.

Does anyone know of a gaming keyboard (low profile, anti ghosting) with bigger keys, backlit, with really large letters on the keys?

I have a razer Lycosa, it has held up fine but I can't see it well.

What would be really cool is if I could specify separate colors for each key.

And cooler still would be a physical switch so I could turn the caps lock functionality completely off. I only use that on my work machine

I buy a new cheap keyboard once a month. I won't lie to you, I regularly cover mine in my bodily fluids.

Thanks, I really needed to know this.

NOT.

You cunt! ;)

As for keyboards.

I've had this Logitech MX5500 keyboard for fucking years. Funnily enough, the WASDEC keys no longer have their markings.

It was a keyboard/mouse bundle. Came with a MX Revolution mouse.

You just cannot discount the quality of build that Logitech has for most of their things.(But they can sure discount their prices!)

I tend to remove the keys every now and then to clean underneath. I tend to eat near the keyboard, lol.

Thanks, I really needed to know this.

NOT.

I tend to remove the keys every now and then to clean underneath. I tend to eat near the keyboard, lol.

On the bright side, we know the keyboards clearly can't take enough abuse to be worth investing in!

I only say http://www.pckeyboard.com/

They are not cheap but as close to the real thing as you can get if you want a keyboard with USB interface. This is the one I use for playing and a good reason for push-to-talk in TeamSpeak.

A nice alternative with a smaller footprint might be http://www.daskeyboard.com/index.php but it is only half the fun. You can get a slightly less noisy version though and even a version without key labels.

Once you used one of these, everything else becomes a joke. Did I mention that I began typing on mechanical typewriters? My first was a model Erica. An import from the German "Democratic" Republic at the time and one of the last affordable but sturdy mechanical travel typewriters which means it came in its own suitcase. Oh, sweet memories! *O*

Once you used one of these, everything else becomes a joke. Did I mention that I began typing on mechanical typewriters? My first was a model Erica. An import from the German "Democratic" Republic at the time and one of the last affordable but sturdy mechanical travel typewriters which means it came in its own suitcase. Oh, sweet memories! *O*

You might enjoy one of these

http://www.usbtypewriter.com/

^-Okay, that is pretty freaking awesome.

Meanwhile I spent a little time today browsing again and came across an industrial grade Cherry that (switched to English, anyway) would come closest to what I want, except it probably uses black switches.

The Cooler Master QuickFire TK (Brown) also comes close, but the non-dedicated DEL/home/end/PU/PD would probably make my document editing very annoying, guh.

I only say http://www.pckeyboard.com/

They are not cheap but as close to the real thing as you can get if you want a keyboard with USB interface. This is the one I use for playing and a good reason for push-to-talk in TeamSpeak.

A nice alternative with a smaller footprint might be http://www.daskeyboard.com/index.php but it is only half the fun. You can get a slightly less noisy version though and even a version without key labels.

Way too much offset for gaming IMO.

I have destroyed IBM Selectrics with my typing. Got a job fixing them too LOL!

You just cannot discount the quality of build that Logitech has for most of their things.

I absolutely agree, i'll swear by Logitech every time, I haven't bought anything except Logitech for years, my keyboard is a very basic Logitech "internet ready" keyboard, cost me about £6 with a PC I had custom built, it's still working perfect after 8yrs, my mouse is almost as old a Logitech MX550 and still works perfectly.

Do you guys also play with those cheap keyboards you mention?

I find normal cheap keyboards absolutely not enough for MMO's (unless people click ofc).

I use this one http://www.x7.cn/en/product.asp?id=10 for gaming along with X7 mouse. The key extensions on the left and bottom with combination of mouse keys is enough for MMO's or any other game. (only MMO's in my case require more keys than usual).

PS: this one is also cheap ;)

Do you guys also play with those cheap keyboards you mention?

I find normal cheap keyboards absolutely not enough for MMO's (unless people click ofc).

I use this one http://www.x7.cn/en/product.asp?id=10 for gaming along with X7 mouse. The key extensions on the left and bottom with combination of mouse keys is enough for MMO's or any other game. (only MMO's in my case require more keys than usual).

PS: this one is also cheap ;)

I play with as cheap a keyboard I can find(provided it is comfortable) yes :P

As stated prior, mouse on the otherhand is another matter.

Agree though, the above setup isn't ideal if you actually do ALOT of typing, it's more just suited to my pc use at home(which happens to be gaming).

I play with as cheap a keyboard I can find(provided it is comfortable) yes :P

As stated prior, mouse on the otherhand is another matter.

Indeed, whilst I will always just buy a cheap keyboard I will happily spend a lot of money on a good mouse.

Indeed, whilst I will always just buy a cheap keyboard I will happily spend a lot of money on a good mouse.

Always get a mouse with grip and a cord. Too many emergency trips to the local endoscopy unit have taught me that.

One of my all time favourite keyboards for gaming was the merc stealth, I loved the layout, quality wasn't the best though.

http://steelseries.com/products/keyboards/steelseries-merc-stealth

I have a Logitec G510 that I got at a fraction of what it normally costs due to a online pricing error that the company decided to honour for those who had ordered.

I switch between that and my Logitech G13. I prefer the comfort of the G13 but if I'm typing loads, I use the G510. I also use a razer naga mouse which I love.

Yeah, I need a keyboard fit for both lots of document typing and for gaming (medium-light). It seems the compact gaming keyboards always chop off the tenkey, ugh. I really like having (dedicated) Home/End next to the Enter key because I use those a lot while working in documents. :/ Between build quality that can handle gaming and lots of typing versus layout, I suppose I would be willing to sacrifice the tenkey as long as Del and navigation keys are compacted. (And gaming mouse...I'd like one about 3.5 inches long. :P)

Does anyone know of a gaming keyboard (low profile, anti ghosting) with bigger keys, backlit, with really large letters on the keys?

I have a razer Lycosa, it has held up fine but I can't see it well.

What would be really cool is if I could specify separate colors for each key.

And cooler still would be a physical switch so I could turn the caps lock functionality completely off. I only use that on my work machine

I've seen backlit+large type keyboards on Amazon, but I don't believe those are fit for gaming (anti-ghosting and general build quality). :(

I have seen a gaming keyboard where you can toggle the capslock functionality to ctrl, but bugger if I can find it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Weeeeeellll, I did it.

I purchased a brown switch Keycool 84-key compact board with my preferred layout, a separate cheapie tenkey for when I need it, and 0.4mm O-rings. And a wire key puller that I didn't need because apparently this keyboard came with one, oopsie (I thought it'd be one of those cheapass-plastic rings, but no, the free puller is wire).

Feels like a solid build though I haven't had time to really play with it yet since I'm still installing the O-rings---it's waaaaaaay louder than my scissor-switch (which I'm going to take to work), and the O-rings help a little bit, but I think I won't mind at home, especially if my typing speed may actually increase with this, as attested by some other people. The fact that the caps come off super easy is great, as that means I can clean this thing properly. Hopefully it'll last forevers. :P

So far I can tell it'll take a bit of practice to feel the very slight tactile "bump" when pressing down. I think the vast majority of people are used to fully bottoming-out their key presses... And I'll have to redo a couple of my keyboard shortcuts for gaming, heh.