LOTROCommunity

Was hoping for .....

.... More idea of the transfer time frame by now or do you think we will have another F2P situation where we will get those now infamous statements of lights at the end of tunnel and we will find out the day the servers are back up on the day they are back up?

PJ

I'm guestimating a downtime of about 2 days to 2 weeks. Two days if they learned anything from the DDO disaster, two weeks if it's done with the same care as they've shown with DDO, the LOTRO website and .. most other things they touch.

It must be frustrating for Codies too. Turbine at this point is saying "all communication must go through CM at this time", where CM is waiting for Turbine to stop contemplating the "what ifs" and actually give them something to announce.

Is there a prize for guessing the correct amount of downtime? *O* A forum title would be neat.

My guess is 3 days :?

Sure, why not. 'Foreseer of Downtime' is up for grabs :P

I doubt that Trinsec. They'll bring the servers up, which should then automagically appear in the launcher for everyone. Perhaps they'll sync that with weekly maintenance, so they don't have to bring the login servers down for the change.

Ha,a guessing game. Let's go for the title

My guess is less than a day, around 12-15 hours. Servers up for a few hours till they realise there is something wrong, shutdown again for 4 days till they fix it. Then months away, when there is some big sale going on, we are going to temporary lose our TP due to a glitch (that will strangely last for the same period as the sale) they forgot to anticipate in the transfer.

Agree with a downtime from somewhere two days to two weeks. What I wonder is also, how fast are they sending our chars to the US? How is this done? We log off the night before and our toons might appear over there the next day. I wouldn't be surprised if we are faced with a "rollback"... not sure, just wish they would finally start to give us the infos we need.

A cynical person would see an intentional glitch as an opportunity for a guaranteed quick fix to distract from other more serious issues. But maybe thats just me bloos.gif

Agree with a downtime from somewhere two days to two weeks. What I wonder is also, how fast are they sending our chars to the US? How is this done? We log off the night before and our toons might appear over there the next day. I wouldn't be surprised if we are faced with a "rollback"... not sure, just wish they would finally start to give us the infos we need.

If they have any form of semi-competent IT staff, they are already copying data. The way I would do it, keeping in mind that this is a huge database, is do a complete copy of the game database about two weeks ago. After that, I can just take a daily backup of the changes.

Cons:

- Requires more data being copied

Pros:

- I get a daily check that the data is being copied properly.

- I get a daily copy of the actual database.

- If faeces hit a large rotating object, I can sort out those problems well before the actual final merge.

MueR

Two weeks is a long time, will we get compensation you think? Although not being able to play for a few weeks is going to be a killer.... At least I am working in Amsterdam next week... So will miss the mess if it happens LOL

MueR

Two weeks is a long time, will we get compensation you think? Although not being able to play for a few weeks is going to be a killer.... At least I am working in Amsterdam next week... So will miss the mess if it happens LOL

Compensation for what exactly? The time we cannot log in to a free2play game? I suspect that, should downtime be excessive, they will probably give us a little something (however useless it might be). The only ones that have a valid claim for compensation is those who paid for monthly VIP. I can't see Turbine dodging that one.

As you're about to guess I'm no techy but considering the US will be migrating us to difference servers (in Boston I believe) couldnt they have the servers and game up and running in paralell with the current EU servers? The'd need to be a short period to bring them fully up to date once EU servers are down.

I hope less than 24 hours. I want my True Rune of the Two Trees asap :9~

As you're about to guess I'm no techy but considering the US will be migrating us to difference servers (in Boston I believe) couldnt they have the servers and game up and running in paralell with the current EU servers? The'd need to be a short period to bring them fully up to date once EU servers are down.

I hope less than 24 hours. I want my True Rune of the Two Trees asap :9~

oh how I wish it will be less than 24 hours...

My guess is it'll be done within two days.

But actual guess is ... 1 day

They still have a bit of a bad reputation due to what happened with D&DO but we'll see. I do have some faith in turbine.

Cooooooome on lucky title!: P

Compensation for what exactly? The time we cannot log in to a free2play game? I suspect that, should downtime be excessive, they will probably give us a little something (however useless it might be). The only ones that have a valid claim for compensation is those who paid for monthly VIP. I can't see Turbine dodging that one.

As a lifetime VIP player I guess nothing :) But it would be nice for the inconvenience of being unable to play :) But your right I will not worry just figured it may be good customer relations :)

Fingers crossed its not another DDo length of time for the move....

As a lifetime VIP player I guess nothing :) But it would be nice for the inconvenience of being unable to play :) But your right I will not worry just figured it may be good customer relations :)

Fingers crossed its not another DDo length of time for the move....

same here, am lifetime so I expect nothing. although a free scroll of the delving or relic removal scroll would be nice compensation

Just to make sure, if you are worried about store points losses, take screenshots of the store's first page so that you have your points balance on the screen.

As for downtime, Sapience has said that once we've created the account, we should be able to play right away, the only thing is how long it'll take for the EU servers to come back on, or the linking of accounts to migrated accounts.

If I had to guess how long the linking will take, I'd say 3-5 days. Hopefully, it won't take much longer than that.