LOTROCommunity

Do you think some of the LOTRO elite are paid shills (fake people or turbine employees)?

Ifreborn

Nope.

Regardless of how trashed I might feel the game is now, different strokes for different folks.  Tolkien's work brings out strong feelings in people.  Also, some people use the forums as their social circle and post in a zealous fashion.  They choose a side and stick with it.  Much like politics.  Paid? No.  Just look like it.

I don't believe they're employees. One's posting/chat style is very much like a fingerprint that one can see over time. As +Sapience put it, it only took a few posts before people who knew him in-game before he was hired, to realize he was +Sapience.

Now, on the other hand. That random pug player you picked up to do a new raid? That might be a +GM or someone from +QA, looking for reproduction steps for exploits in new content.  One of their former employees said as much in a public talk.

I do. Turbine cares so much about image, and some posters are clearly trying to confuse players and make things look better than they really are. I would not be surprised if Sapience/Turbine had contacted them and hired them to do this.

Naive... You want to know how the world works?

The Players Council is the upper tier of Bilderberg... They have their fingers on all the buttons.

Under Bilderberg is the Illuminati.

Under the Illuminati is the Tele Tubbies fan club.

Under the Tele Tubbies fan club is the NSA, MOSSAD, MI6. CIA, KGB...

Under the Intelligence Community we find Pee Wee Herman.

Under Pee Wee Herman we find some very wet, smelly and disgruntled Black Ops operatives who fly Black Helecopters. Pee Wee assigns them their "wet work"... unpleasant...

Under the disgruntled we have the LOTRO elite and they are the unpaid brown shirts of the Player Council.

Any Player Council reps want to comment! You MUST comment! I demand you comment! ... Pretty please with sugar on top?

The Players Council is the upper tier of Bilderberg... They have their fingers on all the buttons.

Under Pee Wee Herman we find some very wet, smelly and disgruntled Black Ops operatives who fly Black Helecopters. Pee Wee assigns them their "wet work"... unpleasant...

Under the disgruntled we have the LOTRO elite and they are the unpaid brown shirts of the Player Council.

Any Player Council reps want to comment! You MUST comment! I demand you comment! ... Pretty please with sugar on top?

Swap TeleTubbies fan club and Illuminati and you pretty much nailed it. Oh, and Pee Wee has a partner - Boy George.

Online Reputation Agencies from yahoo search

give it a try in google, or whatever engine you prefer.  the companies lined up to provide this service are becoming legion.

Swap TeleTubbies fan club and Illuminati and you pretty much nailed it. Oh, and Pee Wee has a partner - Boy George.

or swap Justin Bieber and his Facebook page likes.  there aren't even 64 million people in all of Canuckistan.

Yes.  DarkCountry.

There was a bit of that we spoke about here a while back, involving DarkCntry being able to respond to another person's post on the OF, before the post was submitted by that person.

That aside, in answer to the OP's question, yes, I do believe that some are compensated - either as employees or not - to post in Turbine's favour.

I think if Turbine is actually paying for the love-fest going on over there they should demand a refund. Obvious shill is.....obvious and generally not very intelligent or overly clever.

I think it's more likely they are pure sycophants and just want to be the in the know. I honestly don't think there is actual cash exchanging hands, but I bet Sapience rewards the most ardent supporters with things like Beta Invites or other in-game perks though...

I think it's more likely they are pure sycophants and just want to be the in the know.

Indeed, why pay them when a pat on the head and a 'good boy' is all that's needed to keep their tails a wagging. One thing Turbine aren't short of is sycophants. 

http://uk.reputation.com/

They advertise on UK commercial radio a lot.

The Max Cliffords of the online world. Hopefully an equally unfortunate turn of the tables will befall them also. 

when he isn't defending LoTRO on the official forums, you can find him streaming Infinite Crisis, or lurking in the chat of their official streams.

http://www.twitch.tv/drkcntry/profile

4 views for his last video. No wonder he grovels at Turbine's feet for attention. 

Sapience works hard to actively cultivate people to defend Turbine. For example, he always puts out the innocent act saying no over gets banned unless they say something extreme in their post (blatantly untrue but believable if you aren't paying attention closely to what is going on in the forums). He pretends he is fair, and that threads don't get deleted. He pretends he has no problem with negative posts, but then closes them and later secretly deletes them, and tries to ban players who are often critical in their posts.

So I would not be surprised if he has enlisted one or two people to help him, and he pays them to keep posting supportive, positive, pro-Turbine messages. Just because there are plenty of defenders, doesn't mean Turbine is not paying a few people to keep pushing the message how great Turbine and Lotro is.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them get free Turbine points, but no I don't think they are on the payroll as it were.  No matter how bad a game is, you will always find people more than willing to wave those pom poms and white knight on a games forum.  Hell even Tabula Rasa had a core group of fanboys on their forums when it closed.

They're not paid. Rather they're the sort of people who want to be part of Sap's little "inner circle" and he has cultivated that rather well to be "one of us". No doubt that he communicates with them privately, either via forum PM or Twitter etc. I'll also take a punt that he does the same with a selection of the PC members.

Why pay for some unmotivated astroturfer to help spam your 'LOTRO is Great!' thread when you can have the rabid, flag-waving zealots post reams on your behalf? Cultivate the zealots with the occasional private tweet, or forum title and you have much better value for money.