LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Koolio

GW2: Megaservers (the way server merges should work)

You are the one who said "This was done to level the playing field". I asked what it levels.

The amount of AP that can be obtained based on time. I highly doubt you'll stop earning laurels once you hit cap. Can you imagine the outrage? Especially given some people are apparently near the cap?

Anyone who feels pressure to do something in a game that they don't like needs some serious psychological help, not a game change.

*eyeroll* People all have their things in game. Some people are completionists. If they like to do that, great.

The salvaging achievement is capped btw. You can get a max 250ap from it. Most repeatable achievements do cap at some point.

And I don't see how this diminishes anything. APs from dailies were somewhat out of control imho.

Other considerations re the megaserver: ori/sapling runs in Orr. If a server doesn't have a specific map of their own, this must mean we'll always be getting different maps. This could potentially hurt those of us who gather there on multiple toons as a source of income.

Finding an open Temple of Balthazar...

We'll have to wait to see what they say in the next two blog posts, but I'm slightly worried. This could potentially affect some of my activities in a negative way. Given I'm on a high population server, my viewpoint is going to be different from someone on a low pop server.

Other considerations re the megaserver: ori/sapling runs in Orr. If a server doesn't have a specific map of their own, this must mean we'll always be getting different maps. This could potentially hurt those of us who gather there on multiple toons as a source of income.

Given I'm on a high population server, my viewpoint is going to be different from someone on a low pop server.

Given that node locations are static, I think the biggest deal would be trying to find a map instance where you weren't fighting mobs every few steps.

And it was interesting to learn from the thread that apparently we're the NA RP world..

The amount of AP that can be obtained based on time. I highly doubt you'll stop earning laurels once you hit cap. Can you imagine the outrage? Especially given some people are apparently near the cap?

I too assume that is unchanged. Kind of like leveling still gives skill points even at level cap. Outrage would be a mild adjective :D

*eyeroll* People all have their things in game. Some people are completionists. If they like to do that, great.

and more power to them. I am of the firm conviction that "farmers gonna farm" and for me, yeah okay so what...

I meant for anyone thinking they just had to accomplish something because it was offered. If for instance these same people argue that fewer reward paths should be offered because there is no way to do them all, then I would say they are infringing on my enjoyment, as I pick and choose buffet style. They may not have the belly capacity for all 17 types of pie at the hobbit pie emporioum, but please don't remove any of the flavors from my menu just to make sure you don't get fat ;)

And I don't see how this diminishes anything. APs from dailies were somewhat out of control imho.

This essentially is what i don't understand the reasoning behind. Some people get more than me. Some less. Both groups have people who play differently. The only ones trumping me in points are those that make APs their life, so to speak. I neither want to remove that from those who enjoy it, nor limit that for those who don't currently exploit it but like the option available (exploit in the benign sense).

Don't get me wrong, I think GW2 is awesome. I just think Anet determines the scope of changes for the wrong reasons sometimes

Given that node locations are static, I think the biggest deal would be trying to find a map instance where you weren't fighting mobs every few steps.

They aren't static, the only exception being permanent T1-5 rich ore nodes and one single orichalcum node (which used to be a rich node) by the champion karka in Southsun. The nodes change every patch or when there is no one in a map, which triggers a new one to be generated when entered by a person. It's the nodes changing location that caused sites like http://gw2nodes.com/ to be created, so players could help each other map them out and find them with ease later (though southsun is a map that's constantly changing due to no one being there so frequently... or it was in the past. I no longer gather there because of the nodes switching in the middle of gathering with alts and also I hate karka. :P)

And gathering there is always easy. Usually you have to fight very little mobs. Just run, gather, run (though be careful if you have traits that trigger skills such as balanced stance, shake it off or aegis, etc. If a mob makes your toon trigger that whilst gathering, whatever you're gathering will come back ruined.)

I meant for anyone thinking they just had to accomplish something because it was offered. If for instance these same people argue that fewer reward paths should be offered because there is no way to do them all, then I would say they are infringing on my enjoyment, as I pick and choose buffet style. They may not have the belly capacity for all 17 types of pie at the hobbit pie emporioum, but please don't remove any of the flavors from my menu just to make sure you don't get fat ;)

This essentially is what i don't understand the reasoning behind. Some people get more than me. Some less. Both groups have people who play differently. The only ones trumping me in points are those that make APs their life, so to speak. I neither want to remove that from those who enjoy it, nor limit that for those who don't currently exploit it but like the option available (exploit in the benign sense).

Don't get me wrong, I think GW2 is awesome. I just think Anet determines the scope of changes for the wrong reasons sometimes

I think the change was because of the AP farmers who were complaining it was hard to do it all (regarding the PvP ones.. wins in solo/team arenas) and that so many were doing them all. ANet seems to often underestimate their players. They didn't think people would get exotic armor or legendaries so fast, etc, etc. I think they realised they created a bit of monster with so many possible dailies. But it would be incredibly stupid to remove them as the whole point of adding so many was to give people choices that matched their personal playstyle. So, they've made a compromise: keep the variety but cap the points. Many repeatable achievements have caps on them anyway (hobby dungeon explorer, salvaging, mini games) so really it's unifying the dailies/monthlies into that as well.

I guess we'll just have to see. People who have invested a lot of quality game time already being suddenly held up to allow new players to catch them seems to me like holding a classroom of kids back until they can all get straight A's. The kind of "fairness" stuff I hate.

New players won't ever catch them. Lots of APs from temporary content. And it would still take the average casual player years to max daily/monthly APs (ie just doing the 5 per day or so).. given some math I saw.. well... somewhere on the forums.

of course they would never catch the real achievers who have dedicated so much time to it and continue to do so; my question is, why should they?

The salvaging achievement is capped btw. You can get a max 250ap from it. Most repeatable achievements do cap at some point.

I did not know that. I think I'm around 100. That sucks too. I really like hearing the bell go off unexpectedly.

Well, they won't ever. It will be impossible unless those old players stop playing, so..... it's a moot question. :P

I'm in favour of finite achievements at some point.. like every other game has. Personally, I'd rather they'd add more GW1 elements to the game regarding achievements and titles and a new HoM for GW2 players to work on.

I did not know that. I think I'm around 100. That sucks too. I really like hearing the bell go off unexpectedly.

The bell will still go off. You just won't get any extra points.

The more I read the more ticked off I get. Most zones had at least a player in them at all times, so they werent prone to reset except at patches/downtimes. My more through complaint list is here:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Feedback-Questions-The-Megaserver-System-World-Bosses-and-Events/page/2#post3852739

It's my first wall of text post EVER on their official forum.

I just read the blog post as well.

Do.

Not.

Like.

Meh. :(

Be sure you read them both.

This was an idea that had promise. But in a feature pack with some significant QoL updates, it feels like its a HUGE step backward.

@Lothirieth I realize I didnt split my complaints into all 3 threads, but is there anything I missed you're concerned with?

I also enjoyed TTS's extensive reply about how this impacts their 12 guilds over 24 worlds.

I've had guild events tonight so I've not had time to sit down and really read everyone's points. I've been skimming when I can. I do plan on giving a proper read and making a list of all my problems with this and adding my voice to the thread.

I really hope they don't go through with this, but I'm afraid it's too late.

I've had guild events tonight so I've not had time to sit down and really read everyone's points. I've been skimming when I can. I do plan on giving a proper read and making a list of all my problems with this and adding my voice to the thread.

While I'm not really reading each of the threads in depth, I'd love to read your posts if you wouldn't mind hardlinking them when you make them =)