LOTROCommunity

Well they certainly know how to annoy many players

Tribulation

However it verifies your card by temporarily putting a pre authorization for the full amount of your sub, so one month is £8.99 for me, 6 months is something like £42. This is the main thing people are complaining about, any other company that validates a card puts £1 or less on it and clearly informs you before hand.

Yeah, this really makes no sense. :/ That'd be a pretty huge mark against Zenimax as a company for me; you don't fuck around with your players' money after they preorder expensive editions and all that. I totally understand server crashing and whatever on launch week, but I've never experienced a pre-auth charge for more than $1USD before (who decides how much, I wonder).

I honestly don't believe a significant number of players would experience an overdraft/whatever due to this situation, but it's really the principle of the matter.

I honestly don't believe a significant number of players would experience an overdraft/whatever due to this situation, but it's really the principle of the matter.

I don't either.

But for me, it's Zenimax's attitude and handling that gets me. When I first read complaints on Friday, I was expecting a response saying it wasn't working as intended etc, not one sort of implying we're moaning about nothing.

Total silence today on this matter, they did post a message about the 1 hrs 30 mins queue on their accounts page where people were suddenly finding they couldn't play unless they subbed

And they did remove some posts (ok they were rude and deserved removing) from that thread. So staff were in the building, but not a word, nothing to show they were interested in the complaints many of their customers (and according to quite a few posts, now former customers) were having.

I don't either.

But for me, it's Zenimax's attitude and handling that gets me. When I first read complaints on Friday, I was expecting a response saying it wasn't working as intended etc, not one sort of implying we're moaning about nothing.

Total silence today on this matter, they did post a message about the 1 hrs 30 mins queue on their accounts page where people were suddenly finding they couldn't play unless they subbed

And they did remove some posts (ok they were rude and deserved removing) from that thread. So staff were in the building, but not a word, nothing to show they were interested in the complaints many of their customers (and according to quite a few posts, now former customers) were having.

Oh, I agree. The company response is pretty dismal. And doesn't paint it in a good light for the complete gaming experience either (impressions)...

I have this sneaking suspicion that most of the company went home for the weekend, which is the absolute worse thing you can do on a launch week. >_>

Edit to add:

Perhaps this is their SINGLE-PLAYER GAME COMPANY pedigree showing through. It doesn't matter, because they already got your money from the initial game purchase!

So glad I didn't bother getting this shit!

LOL.

I'm sure the VAST majority of ESO players didn't buy it to "check it out" at this point. Most I'm sure bought the 6 month plan. It's gotta be a rare person who not only has less than 80 bucks to their name, but that they KNOW that fact, AND are willing to spend a huge portion of that on an ONLINE GAME, which requires a subscription if you want to play it more than 30 days. Those people should know better, and just buy Skyrim, which won't shut off in 30 days. lol.

Seems like a mountain out of a molehill by either instigator trolls, or people so destitute that their first priority shouldn't be whether or not to buy into an MMO.

Ockham says it's trolls.

LOL.

I'm sure the VAST majority of ESO players didn't buy it to "check it out" at this point. Most I'm sure bought the 6 month plan. It's gotta be a rare person who not only has less than 80 bucks to their name, but that they KNOW that fact, AND are willing to spend a huge portion of that on an ONLINE GAME, which requires a subscription if you want to play it more than 30 days. Those people should know better, and just buy Skyrim, which won't shut off in 30 days. lol.

Seems like a mountain out of a molehill by either instigator trolls, or people so destitute that their first priority shouldn't be whether or not to buy into an MMO.

Ockham says it's trolls.

So, shitty billing practices are okay as long as they only affect poor people?

LOL.

Ockham says it's trolls.

Careful... your pom poms are showing.

OK.

So as long as you use a real credit card you are not forced to buy another 30 days?

There is a lot of confusing information out there.

I think people are getting confused with wording and such, from what I understand it's the standard first time subscription thingy that all subscription games do, you have to set up a subscription to claim your free 30 days, but you can set up the subscription, claim the 30 days and cancel the subscription right away, or maybe I'm getting confused, I can never tell :P

EQ2 worked exactly the same as ESO I seem to recall... you got 30 days free but had to have a valid subscription plan in place from day 1. I honestly can't recall what Vanguard did, but as it was another Sony Online game I'd imagine it was the same. Those are the last games I played at launch, quite a while ago.

I'm not surprised at the method that is used, I guess some are because the buy + sub model is so rare these days. I am surprised that Zenimax have made a cock-up on this kind of scale just by not communicating with their customers.

The above is correct androclese.

The problems arise for those that do not/will not/cannot sign up with a cc.

They are left with the option of purchasing a game time card to activate their free(probably better to call this 'complementary hehe, poor wording on ZOS's part)30 days.

Alternatively if don't want to do that, just contact ZOS directly and they will activate the 30 days for you with no subscription plan(may need to call them, I'm not sure)

Now for me the whole thing is a non issue, due to me committed to the title, but I agree this should have been made clearer by ZOS at an earlier date.

Basically, if you're from the US (meaning your credit card is your most common method of payment) you're fine. If you're from outside the US you're limited.

I have a cc. I use it to (gasp) pay for US products. For EU products I use a debet card.

EU companies will have both options (credit and debet card). US companies only credit card option. Such arrogance is annoying.

Also silence sucks. At least have someone come out and say: "He guys, we got your concern and we'll be giving you an answer next monday. We apologize for any convenience and thank you for your patience". That's 200% better than just keeping still while still showing obvious sings of 'staff presence'. 

And they're at it again :) I's as though they don't know how to run an mmo.

With zero notice, they take the EU servers down just as most of the EU are starting to get in from work

7 minutes before they posted a message across my screen telling me the game was closing in 15 mins, this message appeared on their forum

We are bringing down the European megaserver at 3:30 PM BST for maintenance. We are pushing a small patch, and expect the maintenance to last several hours. The North American megaserver will undergo the same maintenance once the European megaserver is re-opened. We will provide patch notes shortly.

And of course the forum has gone mad. Some have pointed out that logically, they should do the US one now while most people are at work and postpone the EU one until later.

Zenimax actually responded in the thread.

The patch we're pushing out right now was planned for tomorrow, but it was ready today and will fix some of the issues people have been running into while playing. We understand that the time is not ideal for some, but we felt it was critical to get the fixes out now before it gets much later in Europe.

Then some of the posts quoting the above explanation reminded me of watching the Lotro forums after Sapience opens his mouth, thanking them for their response, thanking them for the patch.

Only about 3 of us so far have said anything against the post, I said

So some of us are having quests etc that are bugged, and yes they are a pain in the rear. But while waiting for them to be fixed, we did other things, other quests, PvP etc.

You have a patch that you planned (I presume) to do at a sensible time tomorrow to not inconvenience the majority of the EU players.

But someone had the bright decision,

"I know, lets release the patch now, that will make them all happy as the bugs will be fixed earlier"

So we went from being able to play at prime time with some bugged quests, to not being able to play at all, a very very very good decision I don't think. People are obviously going to go ballistic when they find out the day after they were forced to sub, they cant log in.

Do you think most people are going to get home from work, not have a clue how long it will be down for, and sit waiting for it to come up, most will do something else and lose out on an evenings game play.

What concerns me most about this is that it's so obvious yet you cant see it.

Yeah, my single bugged quest in Glenumbra is working now. Ghosts of the Westry.

There does appear to be quite a delay for some to receive there authentication email when logging in, but appears to be stabilising.

Most likely just the massive influx of simultaneous logins.

Chat and bank interaction is helluva slow at present however.

It took chat messages to the guild around 15 minutes during the hottest phase... I had logged out, failed to log in again, waited 10 minutes and logged in to find that I had no friends and no guild anymore when guild friends in TS reported that my last messages to guild chat arrived one by one. They had been written before I logged out. I guess they had really bad problems with extremely slow guild databases.

Everything is back to "normal" now.

Just in case I'm giving the wrong impression, I want to clarify it :)

I have been having the best fun I've had in years, in a great guild, we had our first guild PvP attempt a couple of nights ago, and I personally love this game.

My point on this thread was that simply that some of their decisions, well I reckon the average 3 yr old knows their forums are going to erupt.

Most people in my guild are experienced mmo players and know what to expect with a launch, but even some of us have got frustrated with some of their actions.

If when I'm playing they have to suddenly take the servers off line to fix a major glitch with zero notice, well it's a pain, but it happens.

But giving people 7 mins notice (if they happened to look at the server status part of the forum) for a patch they decided to bring forward, that is what annoyed people.

3:30 PM for me in England, 4:30 (think 5:30 in parts) of the rest of Europe. It wasn't an emergency

After they did the patch many people including me had problems logging on, kept crashing with "unknown error"

I finally managed to get on at 9pm only to find I had no guild, no PvP info etc. I initially thought maybe I'd been put on an overflow server but that wasn't the case. I went onto Mumble and everyone in the guild was having problems, some still couldn't log in, some had the guild start working after 10 mins but the chat window had a 30 min delay in displaying what was typed (I use a chat timestamp add on so can tell exactly when it was typed).

The guild started working for me 40 mins after I logged on, the chat window finally sorted its self out and the server appeared normal at just gone 10pm.

So 6 1/2 hrs and right at EU prime time.

When the servers did come up Zenimax announced there would be a one time email verification (they email you a code you have to type in to login)

Some people (me) weren't asked (although I was asked the third time I logged in today), some were asked but didn't get the emails, some got the emails, entered the code and it didn't work. If i understood correctly, those that didn't work, it emailed them another code, but after a few attempts banned their accounts (happened to a guild member), didn't take most people long to get them unbanned.

And this was one day after many people with no credit cards expecting to pay with game cards found they couldn't access their 30 days they got with the game unless they purchased a game card, and for many, they won't be in stores for another couple of weeks. Zenimax answer, you can buy online game cards now and just enter the code.

How people with no credit cards are supposed to pay for these online cards is anyone's guess.

My personal frustration is the damage all this is unnecessarily doing to the game, I think you have to own the game to access the forums, but page after page of threads in their support section with people very unhappy. Not with the game, but unhappy with what many feel is being lied to and underhand business practices, and scheduled weekly Sunday maintenance etc

And the main thread complaining about the way they have done their subs is now up to 85200 views and 2100 comments

Sure it's going to be a minority having problems but when you have a small minority of a very large player base, that small amount of people is still in the thousands and time and time again it's the silence from Zenimax that's causing the most annoyance.

Many players are new to mmos and simply don't understand launch problems, Zenimax could easily calm most down with a bit of decent communication

I'm going on record as being in the group that hasn't had much in the way of problems so far. I was almost cratered by the launcher wants a complete do-over problem (luckily I completely disregarded what the support email told me to do), have been rolled back once (losing dungeon completion credit and some decent loot), and have been bitten by a couple of lag spikes. And, I have encountered some of the questline bugs - which isn't surprising considering the state of things during the last beta rounds. But, all in all, it hasn't been the worst launch - certainly not the best - ever for me. Overall, I have been able to log in, play the game, and have been enjoying exploring and having my @$$ handed to me due to inattention at regular intervals.

Having said that, it's obvious that they are still (or should be) figuring things out. I don't think there's any excuse to go to the trouble of having a EU server architecture and then doing non-emergency maintenance in the middle of the core playtime for folks who live in the EU. I can't understand why they use our UIDs as forum names. The billing and delivery problems are stunning when you consider that somebody should have been paying closer attention to that stuff. It's almost as if they put someone with some sort of oppositional disorder (or maybe the Dunning-Kruger effect) in charge of business systems.  I can completely understand why some folks are annoyed and would be too if I was experiencing the same problems.

Frankly, it's easier for me to forgive the gameplay QA issues that we're still experiencing - most of it feels typical to me - the game was just released. But the business / customer support problems should have been designed out from the beginning - it isn't as though this is the first MMO ever rolled out to an anxious public. 

I hope they get things sorted out quickly and equitably for folks.

The operative Godwin's corollary in play is:

The longer this goofyness goes on, the likelihood of postings from people claiming to be attorneys on the brink of filing a suit will approach 1.

• Upvote 1

I didn't pre-order for LOTRO, played the game for several years until it went to shit with F2P.

I pre-ordered for Star Wars, stopped playing after a few weeks. PvP servers killed this game for me. I didn't mind the PvP'ers and PvP'ing, but there were guilds who's purpose for existence was solely to grief other players and nothing else. To me, that is not PvP. That's people being douche bags and getting off on it.

I pre-ordered for GW2, stopped playing after one of my characters hit 85. The game is good, but it has no "sense of direction".

I didn't even bother with TESO after playing in one of their betas. They took two steps forward and three steps back with this one.

Unless some MMO comes out with a completely new, completely re-designed system, something that has never been done before, I think MMO's are pretty much done, perhaps for me anyway.

A one-world community is a step in the right direction as they are doing with TESO, but they failed in so many other ways with the game.

Ok, I'm buying the damn thing. Any NA guilds who want a cantankerous old fart? (I'm not half as cantankerous in game as I am in forums, and I'm a loyal and generous guildmate.)

Looking PvP/endgame PvE centric guild of adults with some sort of VoIP server.