LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
PJ.

SSD

I am getting a new laptop and it has an ssd. Should I load LOTRO on that or the normal drive?

Thanks

PJ.

Depends on the size of the SSD, actually. My laptop has an SSD that I have partitioned in two, the first partition for the OS and main software, the second for my main games. But it's a 256GB SSD, so that works if you only play a few games. LOTRO, as I recall, has a rather large install footprint, so unless you have a lot of extra space on the SSD, put it on the normal drive.

Thank you for the quick reply. My SSD is 250gb too so if I only put that and Skyrim would it be ok or would you say still put on normal drive?

I am very excited it has 16gb of ram and a 4gb gf card so I am hoping I can do Max settings for first time ever!

I have a 128g (119 GB formatted) SSD that has LOTRO, SWTOR, Total War Rome 2 (via steam) and Wildstar (beta) installed and the free space is 44.6 GB.

Silly question now. My computer shows as four drives. One OS then two 500gb ones and a fourth one which is 121gb. The forth is the sad right?

Start button > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

Now, In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

You will now see your drives and what partition is what physical drive. Windows should certainly be on your SSD.

*it just occurred to me your new laptop probably has windows 8 on it, no clue, best of luck, you need to open Disk Management somehow.

I would imagine the 4th drive is your SSD yes. I imagine it is 128GB.

As others have stated, you actually want your OS installed on the SSD to maximise performance.

Do you have an old, unwanted drive? If so, load LotRO onto that and then throw it into the nearest lake. Make a ring of salt around your house, read a few sections from some Lovecraft books and finally turn all the mirrors to face the walls. Then have your house exorcised, just to be safe. Hopefully, the curse will have lifted and you can continue to play better games on your new laptop!

Do you have an old, unwanted drive? If so, load LotRO onto that and then throw it into the nearest lake. Make a ring of salt around your house, read a few sections from some Lovecraft books and finally turn all the mirrors to face the walls. Then have your house exorcised, just to be safe. Hopefully, the curse will have lifted and you can continue to play better games on your new laptop!

_O-

It really depends on how much RAM you have. The OS will keep hard drive wait time at a minimum if it has enough RAM for buffering. I found that LOTRO is one of the games that benefit little from SSDs. The load times are horrible either way (not local storage limited) and there are only very rare cases of stutter from going to a new region (if you have enough RAM).

It's better to keep your compiler, souces and object files on it.

It really depends on how much RAM you have. The OS will keep hard drive wait time at a minimum if it has enough RAM for buffering. I found that LOTRO is one of the games that benefit little from SSDs. The load times are horrible either way (not local storage limited) and there are only very rare cases of stutter from going to a new region (if you have enough RAM).

It's better to keep your compiler, souces and object files on it.

Interesting because as far as lotro was concerned I've found that the SSD was the single biggest improvement of all the upgrades I've applied. Even with my old machine - which had 4 GIG RAM and a 1 GIG GFX card, loading times were atrocious and if I mapped into the 21st hall when was busy or Ettens got busy then HD struggled having to load up all the textures. 

Yes with 4 GB you will feel the SSD, especially if you combine it with a 32 bit windows version with no PAE support (giving you 3.2 GB or whereabouts).

More RAM is the better fix.

On the other hand LOTRO is a good thing to put on a SSD because when it dies you just re-download it.

When I clicked on detect best settings it set to the second from top. I would have thought with A GeForce 780gtx m it would be the too settings. When I manually did it even with AA in full still getting 100fps. I bet Bree it will go down to 30!