LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
PJ.

Anti Aliasing

Jut curious, I am a returning player (boy have I got some catching up with the new skill system) just wandering do many people play with the AA turned on and if so which setting? 

Why is it when I am in normal game play I can turn mine up to x8 and still get over 10FPS but in Bree it causes my frame rate to drop a lot?

PJ

I have x8 and still have 60fps almost everywhere except maybe when you have really a shitload of other players around. I also use supersampling antialiasing (set in the graphic card control panel).

But then I have a beast of a graphic card (ASUS R9 290X DC2 OC 4GB DDR5).

It really depends on your computer.

• Upvote 1

I have x8 and still have 60fps almost everywhere except maybe when you have really a shitload of other players around. I also use supersampling antialiasing (set in the graphic card control panel).

But then I have a beast of a graphic card (ASUS R9 290X DC2 OC 4GB DDR5).

It really depends on your computer.

GIEF ME THAT CARD!

I might buy one of the 280X though. Thinking about the Top version.

• Upvote 1

You can look online for a program called SweetFX which makes you switch off the ingame AA but applies it's own AA to the game too. It also drastically increses texture details and HDR depending on what values you decide to change. 

Here is a link to Adipose's Youtube tutorial (part 1) on what it does and how to get and install it. Whilst they are not LotrO specific I would recommend watching parts 1, 2 & 3 (they should link at the end of each video) as it walks you through how to change things and what they do. 

I have SweetFX installed on LotrO now and when I do play it looks amazing. 

• Upvote 1

Mine is a mobile graphics card but I like to think it can stand up to most desktop variants :-p it is a GeForce GTX 780m (4gb)

PJ

That's a sweet setup. Go for the sweetFX variant, where you disable AA on the LOTRO client but get much sharper textures in return.

• Upvote 1

GIEF ME THAT CARD!

I might buy one of the 280X though. Thinking about the Top version.

The link was actually wrong (linking to the 290 version). Fixed :)

It's a damned beast of a card. In EQ Landmark, I'm always CPU limited even with everything maxed out.

So is any more than 60 fps a waste really?

Well, yeah, since the human eye can't really see any difference between around 15 fps and anything above.

So is any more than 60 fps a waste really? 

It is insurance against lag, to some degree (a system that can produce 100 fps in an area probably can handle that same area crowded with people without dropping to unplayable levels), but that's about it. The human eye cannot distinguish a difference beyond ~30 fps. That's why most movies are 24 fps, and the high-end digital ones are now 48 fps.

Well, yeah, since the human eye can't really see any difference between around 15 fps and anything above.

This is actually wrong. Depending on the person, of course, you can increase that to 30+ fps up to 50 fps.

But yeah, over 60 fps is indeed a waste, specially when your monitor is at 60hz since you will never see the additional frames. And people turning off "VSync" because "zomg look at my super computer I get 200 fps" are morons who are only overheating their computer components, shortening their lifespan.

Personally, I think that in a MMORPG, if you get 30+ fps (or even 25+ actually), you are good. As said above, being able to get higher fps is an insurance against graphic lag, aka if you can get 60 fps in normal conditions, you can be pretty sure you will still get 25+ fps in heavy load, like e.g. a festival with dozens of other players around you.

I'm just saying that driving up average framerate really doesn't do that much for minimum, especially with programs that multithread well.