LOTROCommunity
PJ.

Impressed with the graphics and frame rate

Even on max settings and AA turned up full I get around the 80-100 FPS with no lag at all, is it because they use a graphics engine that is newer or because the servers are in Europe or did I read somewhere they make use of dual core processors? 

SWTOR cost $200 million to make, you can solve a lot in IT by throwing money at it!

I think that it was stated that the $200 million was a false statement and the actual cost for the game was significantly less.. Though I'm guessing still somewhere around $100 million.

Did they change something since launch? I bought a new rig just to play ToR and I still found the game to be laggy and the graphics to be bland at best.

swtor uses the Hero engine...but not the one that is out in the wilds...bioware started swtor with a alpha build of Hero and customized it from there.

it is supposedly optimized for mulit-core cpus with a dual as min and quad as recommended.

many people say what the OP does.

and while i agree the game looks really nice with settings turned up alot of folks including me have issues with server lag from nowhere.

after the consolidation into the their 'mega-servers' there are just 2 locations for the swtor server farms:

San Fransisco area (Redland) for the east/west coast US servers and Galway IRL for the EU servers.

Framerates drop when you try to do too much work in a frame.

Given enough engineering resources you can smartly drop doing less necessary work depending on resources available.

Come back to the game after a break and even though I am getting slightly less fps than LotRO I can have all the graphics set to max and get 60 fps but when I run it is silky smooth and doesn't judder when I run. Really good.

I still say ToR's graphics are bland at best.

Fair enough, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things and thought the same way. I just like the fact that I can go on highest graphic settings and have the aa turned up to full and run around without having that slight pause every now and again I get with the aa turned up in LotRO. Maybe TOR runs in more than one core? My laptop is quad core but I guess if a game only runs on one of them it wouldn't be as great. I know it is a mobile graphics card but it is a 4gb one and have 16gb of ram so I surely it should handle LotRO with aa turned up?

The way I see it SW:ToR did a nice job of doing efficient graphics. They are not heavy on the hardware and relatively simple, but they spent a lot of time turning those limited resources into a good, coherent look.

Don't forget they had a big budget. It is one thing to hire 3D modelers, artists and animators who can make things look good. The trick is to optimize looks/performance. Those people are expensive per hour, and they spend a lot of hours.

Still, the issues of handling many players in one area is one they have yet to solve. 16 man raids and 8v8 pvp Warzones are still extremely taxing, and can send even newer computers into single digit FPS.

SWTOR uses 2 cores at most. It's not written for multicore, but they added a second process to get around the limitations of 2gb RAM in 32-bit applications.