LOTROCommunity

"Ask the 2013 PC, official forums version"

(rank farming)

^---That helps only a minuscule percentage of players, probably single digits, amirite?

I understand most people's ambivalence to PvMP - it offends me, but I understand it.

Setting aside that difference the question we both should be asking is: "What is there to discuss about rank farming?"

Did the player council discuss swearing in chat?

Did the player council discuss selling gold?

Did the player council discuss using LOTRO to lure children into your van?

NO.

Some things are so obvious there is nothing to discuss.

So again, what is there to discuss about rank farming?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of unsavory and dishonest scumbags are "likeable in person". That's how they get people to trust them, and get into positions of authority. Frodo: "I think [one of the enemy's servants] would

The "NO NEGATIVITY ALLOWED" stance from the OP is also hilariously pathetic. That's not how the real world works... and yes, sharing an MMO with other strangers is an exercise in "real world" too.

All this exemplifies is the need for PC members to word their posts very carefully, so that they are not misunderstood. As PC members are privvy to information from the Devs that other players are not

I understand most people's ambivalence to PvMP - it offends me, but I understand it.

Setting aside that difference the question we both should be asking is: "What is there to discuss about rank farming?"

Did the player council discuss swearing in chat?

Did the player council discuss selling gold?

Did the player council discuss using LOTRO to lure children into your van?

NO.

Some things are so obvious there is nothing to discuss.

So again, what is there to discuss about rank farming?

I agree.

Turbine have been making mmos since the 90s yet they need a council of players to advise on rank farming? Do any professionals work at Turbine?

A lot of unsavory and dishonest scumbags are "likeable in person". That's how they get people to trust them, and get into positions of authority.

Frodo: "I think [one of the enemy's servants] would - well, seem fairer and feel fouler, if you understand."

A lying, hypocritical bully with a smile on his face is still a lying, hypocritical bully.

This, a billion times. Several "leaders" in our department got to their position primarily by schmoozing, taking credit for others' work, throwing people under the bus, etc. Outsiders to the department think they're GREAT. We had someone come into our department to start work for one of those bastards and he said "Ohhh, so THAT'S what you mean." Yeah.

I blame Disney (and even Tolkien, lol) in part. People expect "evil" to be dark, ugly, with an aura of badness that you can smell from a kilometer away. Nope. When someone counters a discussion of one of our incompetent-but-somehow-liked-by-outsiders employees "But they were so nice when we talked last," I always counter..."Dahmer was nice too." (Extreme to get the point across.) :P

• Upvote 2

This, a billion times. Several "leaders" in our department got to their position primarily by schmoozing, taking credit for others' work, throwing people under the bus, etc. Outsiders to the department think they're GREAT. We had someone come into our department to start work for one of those bastards and he said "Ohhh, so THAT'S what you mean." Yeah.

I blame Disney (and even Tolkien, lol) in part. People expect "evil" to be dark, ugly, with an aura of badness that you can smell from a kilometer away. Nope. When someone counters a discussion of one of our incompetent-but-somehow-liked-by-outsiders employees "But they were so nice when we talked last," I always counter..."Dahmer was nice too." (Extreme to get the point across.) :P

See Nurse Ratched

^-- A much better pop culture reference. I happen to remember when the Dahmer news broke out so that has stuck with me, but I expect younger generations (probably non-Americans too, not sure how far Ratched reference would get there though) would have no idea.

Haha... (reply to several posts here actually)

I worked for several years at the corporate head office for a multinational...

My theme song experience from those years.

And after a while, you can work on points for style.

Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,

A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.

You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,

So that when they turn their backs on you,

You'll get the chance to put the knife in.

Oh god.  Now we've hit the bottom of the barrel.  Someone's posting My Little Pony pics.

Where's my eye bleach...?

Since this thread was slowly becoming yet another "why we hate the sap" discussion something had to be done :)

He mentions being surprised at the housing changes not happening in 2014. I see no indication that he thought the housing changes were still on the table. At all. This perception became further reinforced by comments further down thread by a multitude of PC members, including remarks about the time investment it would actually take. (Manual hook placement anyone?) To me, it was clear at the time of his initial post that the positive remarks about what may be coming down the road is for Kinships not housing.

Equating optimism with dishonesty isn't sound either.  He points out

Certainly doesn't sound like he's under an illusion that anything's set in stone until it ships to live, nor does it sound like he's trying to promise things on Turbine's behalf.

I read the posts the same way as you. However even if one did read into it that they were saying some Housing Changes might still happen down the road, that would be in line with what Aaron said in his last letter:

This does not mean there will be no changes to Housing, but don’t expect broad, systemic updates.

So if I were to say I think the girl in pink up front is fairly hot, would that make me a Brony?

Yes. And also mean your standards are fairly low... unless you mean in comparison to those around her. Then yes, she would be hot for a MLP fan (but that's like saying McDonalds is tastier than a burnt shit in a world where steaks exist).

Yes. And also mean your standards are fairly low... unless you mean in comparison to those around her. Then yes, she would be hot for a MLP fan (but that's like saying McDonalds is tastier than a burnt shit in a world where steaks exist).

Naw, my standards are just fine. As is she.

• Upvote 1
He mentions being surprised at the housing changes not happening in 2014. I see no indication that he thought the housing changes were still on the table....

Certainly doesn't sound like he's under an illusion that anything's set in stone until it ships to live, nor does it sound like he's trying to promise things on Turbine's behalf.

I totally agree he was under no illusions. He had an accurate view that nothing is set and housing may not happen at all. That is why his careless comment is dishonest. He completely gives a different opinion, on the official forums, than what he actually believed. Can you see how this could be viewed as dishonest:

We had a rather lengthy discussion on housing and were just as shocked as everyone else when it was announced that it was not happening this year. ...

I get your point crell about him only talking about kinships in the last line, although this was not at all clear. His clarification post is in a very different tone - basically IMO when pressed he gave a very different view.

Also, note despite Kickman giving players the idea that kinship changes (and other changes) would "make it in sometime this year or next", another PC member confessed that Devs did not comment at all in the discussion on the private PC forums about kinships - other than to say "we can't do it now" - PC member says: "I don't think any dev made in comments, besides the "we would like to do stuff, but can't right now"."

So in the end, for Kinships also Kickman is telling us Kinship changes are most likely coming this year or next - when in fact Turbine has only said they can't work on kinship changes currently. And yes, when this is pointed out he changed his story and said maybe nothing will come (housing or kinship changes). Or rather, he was just careless (to me irresponsible) in his first post, and then posted something different.

It doesn't really matter. We have clarification. Why am I still bringing this up - because you and Spiteful are still defending Kickman. I fully believe he was under no disillusions about what may be coming - but his first post was very, very different from this. Maybe we should ask PC members to be more careful in their posts and not to say changes are coming when there has been no indication of this from Turbine. For example, not to imply we will get any kinship changes when Turbine has only indicated they think kinship changes would be nice, but can't do them now.

tl;dr  Maybe general and inaccurate statements from PC members about how all these great things are coming for the game is not a good idea. Like Palatian saying "I am very sure that some kind of [kinship] revamp will occur, but the final form of it is up in the air still." when in fact Turbine never said a kinship revamp would occur at all (they said they have no plans at this point to do one). 

stuff...

So in the end, for Kinships also Kickman is telling us Kinship changes are most likely coming this year or next - when in fact Turbine has only said they can't work on kinship changes currently.

more stuff..

Just be clear Kickman said;

Yes, there were a few discussions on kinships one of those was generated from a huge thread in the suggestion forums. Hopefully some of the things in that thread will eventually see the light of day.

One thing not a lot of people realize is that when a suggestion is given if they decide to do it, they have to budget for it, decide when to implement it. Program it, QA it, Debug it, QA it again, Beta test it, than release it. Believe it or not this takes A LOT of time. So things we discussed were able to be done quickly while others may make it in sometime this year or next year

And Exec producer said;

Kinships: The next addition to loot options is a system of crafting tied to your Kinship house, which will encourage more social play. Our goal is to create Kinship deeds that you can complete together.

And kinship deeds and crafting were discussed in that thread.

And you know that adding kinship deeds has nothing to do with the suggestions players have asked for and which were outlined in Galuhad's thread. Palatian told Galuhad his Kinship thread was discussed at length on the PC forums. But there is no indication that Turbine will bring any of those ideas to Lotro - improve kinship systems in those ways.

What the exec producer said about deeds seems really small and would not do much to improve the kinship systems. And, yes it would be a change to kinships. These changes would be like Turbine making the smallest possible change to housing - something pretty insignificant. And then people saying "well, we did get housing changes" when everyone knows this was just a tiny change.

And you know that adding kinship deeds has nothing to do with the suggestions players have asked for and which were outlined in Galuhad's thread. Palatian told Galuhad his Kinship thread was discussed at length on the PC forums. But there is no indication that Turbine will bring any of those ideas to Lotro - improve kinship systems in those ways.

Just to be clear again, Kickman was discussing the thread in the PC forums and not Galuhads thread. The thread in the PC forums started with a link to Galuhads thread (I know as it was me that started it) and evolved into a broader discussion of kinships.

Yes, there were a few discussions on kinships one of those was generated from a huge thread in the suggestion forums. Hopefully some of the things in that thread will eventually see the light of day.

Kickman doesn't mention a full blown revamp, just the underlined part. Which is true, after the producers letter, hopefully some of the things in that thread will eventually see the light of day (as I said, kin deeds and crafting were discussed in that thread) there is no dishonesty in Kickmans statement, just a wish that some of the discussions we had see the light of day.

I don't think there is much use in blowing this post up into a big deal when it isn't.

Just to be clear again, Kickman was discussing the thread in the PC forums and not Galuhads thread. 

Well it would be nice if Kickman had made that clear.  Kickman says "Yes, there were a few discussions on kinships one of those was generated from a huge thread in the suggestion forums". How is this not discussing the thread on the Lotro suggestions forum?

"Hopefully some of the things in that thread will eventually see the light of day" clearly refers to the "thread" he mentions in the sentence just before.  If he meant a thread on the PC forums he did not say this at all. But none of this matters - I feel like I am nick picking because this is such a minor point. Thank you for the extra extra info on the PC discussion.

Here is the amazing thread on Kinships: 

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?385713-Kinship-Revamp-Proposal

1074 replies!  Also, very little of the first posts in that thread (or the discussions on it) is about Deeds. It is there - but only a very small part. Surely most people want more than just some kinship deeds and crafting. That is not what people think about when saying "kinship revamp". Look at his thread - he talks about so much more.

Well we have been assured that they are coming this year or next year - by a PC council member no less - so it looks like it will happen! Wahoo!

Assured? Really? By a PC council member no less!

One thing not a lot of people realize is that when a suggestion is given if they decide to do it, they have to budget for it, decide when to implement it. Program it, QA it, Debug it, QA it again, Beta test it, than release it. Believe it or not this takes A LOT of time. So things we discussed were able to be done quickly while others may make it in sometime this year or next year

This sounds more like assurance to me.

Kinships: The next addition to loot options is a system of crafting tied to your Kinship house, which will encourage more social play. Our goal is to create Kinship deeds that you can complete together.

Hopefully that sees the light of day