LOTROCommunity

Cast of Star Wars Episode VII Announced

Belechannas

Looks to be a massively underwhelming cast.

Though I do like the irony of asking only for 'attractive' auditionees, but hire someone that looks like Adam Driver (the love child of Chad Kroeger and Zac Braff). Oh but he's evil so that's alright.

And I've heard that the main male character is going to be black... brave move. I can't think of many successful films aimed at younger audiences with a black guy as the main role.

Agh, I think I had a premonitionary (whatever) dream last night! Totally forgot that the Star Wars franchise would keep going.

My dream was a combination of Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Rift MMO. :D At some point, our class of Jedi knights was being schooled by Princess Leia (whose hair buns were triangular, I remember that detail!), and then we were being chased by a herd of raptors through a blizzardy snowy area like Hoth, and my group was getting lost so I posted a waypoint on the minimap.

.........I didn't eat anything weird before bed, either.

I only watched and enjoyed the originals. I mean the ORIGINAL originals, not that Hanshotsecond thing afterwards and then it took Lucas forever to release DVDs of the ORIGINAL originals. (I was a little pissed. :P) Never watched the prequels. I refuse. Same with this.

Tril, I cannot believe you missed the masterpiece that was Jar-Jar Binks. (Nice bullet dodge...lol!) You must watch The People vs George Lucas. Nerd rage to the nth degree.

It'll be epic with Max von Sydow in it!

Now shut up, bitches!

The more you tighten your grip, LordV, the more we'll slip through your fingers. ;)

I find your lack of faith...disturbing.

Can't....breathe.....*gasp*! 

Tril, I cannot believe you missed the masterpiece that was Jar-Jar Binks. (Nice bullet dodge...lol!) You must watch The People vs George Lucas. Nerd rage to the nth degree.

Interest piqued. Must find after work. ;)

I am glad they havent went for big names to play the new characters as this leads to lots of expectation (even more than there will be) and more often then not the big names dont do a good job. Getting lesser known or even first time actors (in film at least) could be a good thing

Also there better not be any pod racing

They chould also work something like this into the film

I haven't really followed this closely, but:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-episode-vii-cast-698480

The cast includes Andy Serkis, precious!

FOR FUCKS SAKE...

What kind of cast is that supposed to be?

Is that like Jurasik Quark where acting doesn't matter if you can save a couple buck? What is this?

Directed by J.J. Abrams, eh?  Does that mean we get lens flare effects throughout the film?

star-trek-carol-lensflare.png

No, he confessed in public that he had a problem with his addiction to lens flare and that he wants to dial back.

No, I'm not making this up.

oh please please get back to us with your thoughts on this!

OH. It's an actual THING! Thought it was some amateur Youtube kinda setup and found that I'd have to pay for it and it's over 1.5 hours long. :O

Fortunately, it's included in Amazon Prime. ;)

Some random, running commentary about that fan-docu thing while I watch it... Oooh, intro parts were a little cringe-worthy to me. Poetry slams! LARPing! Things I would never do, ouch. Sorry, I loved the original Star Wars, but I don't consider myself that much of a hardcore fan. (The Jon Stewart bit was awesome!) But I get it. It really was/is a cultural phenomenon... The second part really gets into it, which is great. Cultural ownership, and the commentary comparison to THE BIBLE was hilaaarious. And makes total sense to me. HAAAAAAAN SHOOOOOOOT FIIIIIIIRRRRRRST The discussion on the anthropological, sociological importance of what the fans took "possession" of is (omg awkward) really cool, very interesting. "Does the public have the right to the materials of its own culture?" Yeah, I think it's shared. (Oh yeah. So when it came to light that Lucas didn't want the ORIGINAL films on DVD, a friend of mine with the Laserdiscs sent DVD-burned copies to anyone who asked. ;) And I don't feel bad about that at all. Torrents, have at them.) 1988 Congressional testimony aboud colorizing B&W film? Awesome. The argument that the incredible success of Star Wars destroyed Lucas as a creator, that he instantly became the "establishment" he was originally fighting (and thus was a victim of his own success)...never thought of it that way. Who could have said no to the grand marketing machine born from that? Hmm. Oh god, that crazy lady who lost her husband and son.... Ummmmmmm...... Yeah, moving on. Ooh, episode three. This reminds me of the angst surrounding the LotR films: Fans of Tolkien's works for soooo long have their own ideas of what it looks like in their head, right? (And for me, I like Rankin/Bass' Hobbit fine except the weird wood elves, thanks.) The lines for the trailer? Eeeeeeeeee. The opening nights---wow, I do not remember that AT ALL. Seriously, don't remember what the heck I was doing. Hmmm. Great, I didn't miss anything, though. Oh, Neil Gaiman is a wise man there. And who said it, "His responsibility to the fans is to take their money." Ouch, but true. I do remember the Jar-Jar Binks hate without ever watching the films, though. Amazing what one can glean second-hand, given the ubiquity if these things in culture. Whoa, the discussion about racism embedded in culture presenting itself in the character of Jar Jar Binks? That's insane. OSHIIIIIIIIIT did I just spoil myself with one of the bullshit things from the new films? MIDI-WHAT? Nooooooo *MUUUUTE!* *close eyes* *wait a couple minutes* Mmkay, Star Wars Christmas Special. Heh. Heh. Haven't seen it... George Lucas = Anakin? Hm. But he hasn't been redeemed yet, right? :x ....Yeah, I'm not watching anything subsequent to the originals. :P I see no point. I made a mistake in watching Matrix 2 and 3, but forgot nearly everything about them by now so I can still think of Matrix 1 as the one true Matrix. Saw PotC 2 and not 3, don't remember 2 much now thank goodness. LotR trilogy, none of The Hobbits (not stepping into that trap, thank you). Either I'm not dedicated enough a fan of stuff or I'm too purist, dunno!

Drop whatever you're doing and watch the Red Letter Media reviews for the three Prequal movies: http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/ They're way better than The People Vs George Lucas, trust me.
I don't think I can take another one of these things... At least right away. I prefer the broader-stroke cultural, anthropological and artistic discussions than necessarily specifics out of the films. Seeing clips of Jar Jar was okay because he's still not substantive to me (despite that vote thing, meh whatever), but for some reason hearing Lucas' new explanation of the force really did not go over well. Probably because I already decided the force is qi in kung fu terms (:P). Yeesh, that's enough for one night. Time to check out Rift!
  • Upvote 1