LOTROCommunity

Cast of Star Wars Episode VII Announced

Belechannas

I think Marvel in particular benefits from this age of escapism. Superman and Batman always had a general cultural cache but I can't imagine many people in the 1980s or even 90s going to see an Avengers film and fewer still would have admitted to so doing.

I think Marvel in particular benefits from this age of escapism. Superman and Batman always had a general cultural cache but I can't imagine many people in the 1980s or even 90s going to see an Avengers film and fewer still would have admitted to so doing.

Yep. I think the LOR films had a massive part to play in making fantasy, sci-fi etc. mainstream. I think many of us forget just how good the films were. At the time, The Fellowship of the Ring was a staggering achievement with regards to believable cgi and special effects. No other film had ever been put on screen like it. It showed people that fantasy could be done well.

The CGI in LOTR was pretty damn good, Gollum was amazing. What stood out to me, and I'm certain this wasn't CGI, was Gimli. John Rhys-Davies is a big man, probably the tallest cast member. I'm not a cinematographer, but that was some pretty fancy camera work to make him a Dwarf.

The CGI in LOTR was pretty damn good, Gollum was amazing. What stood out to me, and I'm certain this wasn't CGI, was Gimli. John Rhys-Davies is a big man, probably the tallest cast member. I'm not a cinematographer, but that was some pretty fancy camera work to make him a Dwarf.

They tried to use a little CGI on the characters as they could, but it did happen a few times.  Often it was just done with camera angles and people not standing next to each other.  They also used some little people for shots where you didnt see the characters faces, like overhead shots.

Article on how Xmen's success sparked MCU we have now.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/how-x-men-paved-the-way-for-the-avengers-117791520122.html

Some of five things the article lists are just stupid.

It Took Place in the Real World - Isnt most of the Marvel comics set in the real world, rather than fictional cities.  Having it set in the real world did not make the movie better or worse.

It Thought Globally, Not Locally - Not sure how the location the actor hail from is important to the success of the film.  Surely the quality of the actor is why it worked rather then their nationality.  

It Gave Joss Whedon a Job - Yeah because he didnt do much before that did he.  Before 2000 he had written 3 screenplays, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Toy Story and Alien : Resurrection.  Not to mention all the episodes of Buffy and Angel he did before the first X-Men film.  Also the amount of work he did between the X-Men film and the Avengers hardly suggests that X-Men gave him a job.

still an interesting article....it does make you wonder how X-Men turns out if Dougray Scott plays Wolverine instead of Hugh.  And what happens if Tom Cruise plays Tony Stark instead of Robert Downey Jr.?  Some of the more interesting 'what ifs' along with Sean Connery playing Gandalf.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I didn't see the date on that. If it has fallen off the radar, such would probably be merciful.

TBH the only superhero film I would like to see done (or I suppose redone in this case) would be Supergirl. How the world would react to an all-powerful female would make for a far more interesting story then Clark Kent imo.

They have released the first footage of the new Supergirl show

Wow this looks great and the complete opposite to Smallville!

I enjoyed Smallville in the beginning, but the I couldn't stand it after 5 years of Lana this, Lana that, and the dragged out going nowhere storyline.

I've never seen Arrow or Flash. Anyone know if they are good shows?

Not seen Arrow, missed the first 2 series so waiting till I can get a hold of them. Flash is pretty decent, the first series is almost done and it has been getting better with each episode. There are cross overs between the two shows.

• Upvote 1

Not seen Arrow, missed the first 2 series so waiting till I can get a hold of them. Flash is pretty decent, the first series is almost done and it has been getting better with each episode. There are cross overs between the two shows.

Will have to check them out.

I hope to fuck that they don't drag out this whole 'boring assistant' shit. The Supergirl stuff looks good but I can't stand the tedious alter-ego plots. It's the same problem (as Mallorn said) that Smallville had. Too much whining about Clark's life, not enough fighting bad guys. Nobody watches Spider-man for Peter Parker (which is why Spider-man 3 failed so miserably). Nobody watches Hulk for Bruce Banner. It's the super side that's interesting.

I hope to fuck that they don't drag out this whole 'boring assistant' shit. The Supergirl stuff looks good but I can't stand the tedious alter-ego plots. It's the same problem (as Mallorn said) that Smallville had. Too much whining about Clark's life, not enough fighting bad guys. Nobody watches Spider-man for Peter Parker (which is why Spider-man 3 failed so miserably). Nobody watches Hulk for Bruce Banner. It's the super side that's interesting.

If it is all super side and nothing else it would be boring. We need to see the characters struggle to fit into every day life and see how that life changes as a result of them being a superhero. This works better on TV shows than on films as you have time to build good characters and interesting character dynamics.

I actually like what they did on Smallville. It was never about Superman, it was about Clark Kent growing up and coming to terms with who he is and what he destined to become. It was also successful enough to make the Chloe Sullivan character, made up for the show, an official DC character.

If it is all super side and nothing else it would be boring. We need to see the characters struggle to fit into every day life and see how that life changes as a result of them being a superhero. This works better on TV shows than on films as you have time to build good characters and interesting character dynamics.

I actually like what they did on Smallville. It was never about Superman, it was about Clark Kent growing up and coming to terms with who he is and what he destined to become. It was also successful enough to make the Chloe Sullivan character, made up for the show, an official DC character.

Those are the most boring parts for me. The best example is a show that my girlfriend's sister watches: the Vampire Diaries.

It's a show for teenage girls (from what I've seen of it) about a girl who gets involved with vampires, witches, werewolves and any mix of the three. Instead of it being about this secret gothic 'world', it's mostly about the girls doing really boring and normal things like going to a school dance, taking college classes, having sleepovers. I mean shit, they've found out that there are ways to live forever, become super strong and do amazing things, and they're too worried about what dress to wear to a date. It's a juxtaposition that just doesn't make any sense to me.

With Smallville, though I liked the superhero bits, it felt like he spent far too much time moping about. He can literally bench a truck like it's nothing and he was crying about anything he could.

lol that's horrible

Is this some kind of joke?

Agreed for two bits:

Costume looks like a cheap rip-off for Halloween.

First half of the trailer looked like a generic 'chick flick' rom com. Actually, this is what it reminded me of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5KgpN38hM

Costume looks like a cheap rip-off for Halloween.

Would you prefer this

supergirl_63_by_chillyplasma-d5lo9sh.jpg

It does look as if they have taken inspiration from Man of Steel for the outfit. Given that there are rumours that Henry Cavil could have a gust appearance in the first series it would make a bit of sense to keep the outfits similar. It would also mean that this show would be part of the DC cinematic universe.

Would you prefer this

It does look as if they have taken inspiration from Man of Steel for the outfit. Given that there are rumours that Henry Cavil could have a gust appearance in the first series it would make a bit of sense to keep the outfits similar. It would also mean that this show would be part of the DC cinematic universe.

It's not the lack of skin that's looks cheap. It's just the style. Maybe the material. Whatever it is, when I saw the YouTube still of her standing there, I thought it was an image borrowed from a costume site or something. Henry Cavill's suit looked textured and detailed. This version just looks like someone stuck a paper 'S' on a blue top.

Ha, the first few minutes indeed look like your typical romcom.

Curious as to how it will turn out though. I mostly enjoy all these "superhero" / "antihero" shows.

Following Flash, Arrow, DareDevil, Constantine among a few others at the moment.

For the people who haven't seen the Flash yet but seen a bit of Arrow: I find the Flash coming into it's own a bit faster which I like. A rather slow start but the show unfolds way faster and I think more interesting than Arrow at the moment. (Ow timetravel is always good to make something seem complex/interesting not?) :P

Now Daredevil, that show I really like. It just starts, BAM* you're in it. And thankfully it makes me almost forget the movie. Almost, Gasp*

I am sure a few here if not, nearly all of you, have seen the movie Constantine. (I am not familiair with the comics sadly). There is a show about it too.

I quite fancy that one. Check it out, The full 1st season is online.

Any idea when the pilot for Supergirl will air?

Well I showed my girlfriend the Supergirl trailer... she kicked off in spectacular fashion. I'll try to relay her reactions as it went. There was a lot of exasperated hand waving.

First 28 seconds: This has potential. *Obama not bad face*

28 - 40 seconds: Oh for fuck sake. They've got her carrying coffee and being clumsy... Why do they always use that sort of music? Will that 'this is gonna be the best day of my li-i-ife' song be in it too? Is this just to take the piss?

40 - 50 seconds: Oh great she has a date! Good for her! It's important they showed that, because girls love dates! Never mind that they wouldn't do that with Superman, make sure the girl is all wrapped in a hectic mess of work, tripping over herself and infinite unsuccessful dates! Because girls love that. *facepalm*

50 secs - 1:10 mins: Devil Wears Prada... you told me I'd like this. You just wanted to annoy me, didn't you?

1:10 - 1:33 mins: That's Jimmy Olsen? Bollocks to it! Jimmy's a nerd, not an advert for a gym! Ugh, they made her look awkward. It's like there's a tickbox for 'what will nerdy girls like' or something.

1:33 - 1:44 mins: All hands on deck! She has a date! Quick, get her suitable for a potential partner! She needs validation!

1:44 - 2:00 mins: Why are you making me watch this?

2:03 - 2:49: The plane is circling the city when it's about to crash? What was it waiting for, the buildings to help it out? The massive population to cushion its fall? Oh it looks like she had an easier time to master flying than Clark did.

2:49 - 2:55: They made her 'squee'. She can punch through walls... and she 'squeed'.

2:55 - 3:04: person in trailer says 'you exposed yourself' *Beavis and Butt-head snigger*

At this point, she stopped watching it. Then she spent another 10 minutes occasionally saying 'god damn Supergirl' with disgust, then she went and watched the rest and sat annoyed for the rest of the evening.