LOTROCommunity

Cast of Star Wars Episode VII Announced

Belechannas

Holy shit, this trailer is causing me more annoyance than it should do. The amount of idiots going on about how 'Stormtroopers are white clones'.

The original clones weren't white. They were Polynesian. The actor playing Jango Fett was a damn Maori. And even if he had been white, Stormtroopers weren't all clones. The Clone Troopers were clones but Stormtroopers were some clones and mostly ordinary recruits. They could easily be black.

But despite all that bollocks, the guy dressed as a Stormtrooper is the new main character! They wouldn't just show a random Stormtrooper without their helmet off for no reason. What is the likelihood he really is a Stormtrooper and not just disguised as one? Pretty fucking low.

Damn I hate people sometimes.

What is the likelihood he really is a Stormtrooper and not just disguised as one?

One of the rumors I read was that he is a Stormtrooper who tries to desert and leave the "Empire" or whoever the new bad group is. Part of the plot will revolve around finding and protecting him.

Edit: added spoiler tags just in case

One of the rumors I read was that he is a Stormtrooper who tries to desert and leave the "Empire" or whoever the new bad group is. Part of the plot will revolve around finding and protecting him.

Edit: added spoiler tags just in case

Yeah, I've heard that, too. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

Why would they even bother hunting him down if he's one lone deserter? Unless they pull some bullshit about him being special in some way, which makes being a Stormtrooper in the first place a bit odd.

Yeah, I've heard that, too. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

Why would they even bother hunting him down if he's one lone deserter? Unless they pull some bullshit about him being special in some way, which makes being a Stormtrooper in the first place a bit odd.

perhaps he stole the plans for the new Death Star, the one without a stupidly place exhaust port

The bigger question is who is employing the Stormtroopers since the Empire has been defeated.

If they are going by the known canon (yes the books are canon, almost every single one officially released was vetted and edited by Lucas so it adhered to Lucas' canon) then they would be employed by the Imperial Remnant, half a dozen or so Grand Mofs that survived the war and continued to act as an empire away from the core worlds. but then again this is Disney we're talking about, add into the mix the massive cannon bending skills of JJ and a little lens flare and we could get anything.

• 5 weeks later...

Ooooo it struck me, as my facebook linked another debate about the crossguard light sabers..... 

While yes, the concept of protecting one's hand from swinging contained lasers is sound..... 

star-wars-episode-7-lightsaber-issue.jpg

Oh look, someone already modified an image for me and all.

Wonder if they still have time to fix it.  When you think of potential redesigns so that the corners are all laser.... you can see... 

WHY IT HADN'T BEEN DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE yarr!!!! 

As has been said earlier in this thread AFAIK, there are several lightsaber resistant materials: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Lightsaber-resistant_materials

Then, as cossieuk notes, there's also a chance that all three "outputs" stem from the same source, so even if you cut through the hilt you'd hit the side-blade.

Why digging in the details? The beauty of all light-sabres is that they look 'Japanese' style, further simplified by the absence of a guard (aikuchi-like). Even the curved-hilt sabre of Saruman (i.e. Count Dooku) --reminding of European épée/foil-like weapons-- was holding to this rule, and it looked awesome.

Additionally, the viewer is gradually pushed to think that these sabres don't use guards for some reason - either the laser is unstoppable, or the combat techniques are such as to make this feature of the weapon unnecessary. Whatever the reason, this was consistent throughout the series.

And now it's garbage'd, while in the same time ugly-fied. One would think one could rape only one point in a franchise at a time.

The maximum principle modification of the sabres --that would still look good-- was the double-blade version, as used by Darth Maul. Furthermore, when broken in the middle, his weapon continued to function as 2 standard sabres, suggesting 2 independent built-in mechanisms. <-- Excellent idea, delivering practical realism as people will see it and say "Great, that's how I would make this weapon."

What you see with this ugly, needless 'claymore' is the further stupidification of an already exhausted franchise. No-matter if it can be 'justified' with lore-twists, this thing will always remain the Jar Jar Binks of light-sabres.

Not to mention that whoever is using this sort of sabre will only be able to use a heavy, clumsy, aggressive version of combat. Otherwise, a single spin of the sabre will result in the 'guards' slicing his hand off at the wrist. Any Jedi will be able to beat him easily, just through speed.