LOTROCommunity

Cast of Star Wars Episode VII Announced

Belechannas

According to the Ultimate Alien Anthology, Wookiees live for more than 400 years.

And this is the thing. I can't work out what sort of storyline they're going for. If Chewie's in it still at that point, then it's definitely not the storyline that fits canon (shit, lots of thing don't fit canon in this, it seems). So where the hell does any of this stand anymore? Is it canon 2.0? We now reject all the post-originals canon we know for these films?

Because I can't see any more bad-ass way for Chewie to go out than the way he did.

Edit: I've looked it up. Apparently all the old post-originals canon is now considered 'Star Wars Legends' and aren't canon anymore... fuck sake.

And this is the thing. I can't work out what sort of storyline they're going for. If Chewie's in it still at that point, then it's definitely not the storyline that fits canon (shit, lots of thing don't fit canon in this, it seems). So where the hell does any of this stand anymore? Is it canon 2.0? We now reject all the post-originals canon we know for these films?

Because I can't see any more bad-ass way for Chewie to go out than the way he did.

Edit: I've looked it up. Apparently all the old post-originals canon is now considered 'Star Wars Legends' and aren't canon anymore... fuck sake.

It kind of makes sense from Disney's perspective.  By sticking to only the previous 6 films as conon, they can go their own way with the stories without being constrained by other sources.  Although I would not be surprised if some of the other sources was used even in part to make some of the films, especially the films coming out in between episodes VII and VIII and between VIII and IX

For the majority of people, the previous 6 films are the only thing they have seen, so yeah, it makes sense. But it's understandable that it might upset some of the more hardcore fans of the franchise

Isnt the EU all over the place anyway since nearly anyone could add to it.

Here is what Disney consider canon

• All six current movies
  • The Clone Wars
  • The Force Awakens as well as Episodes VIII, IX, and the spinoff movies
  • Star Wars: Rebels
  • The then-upcoming novel Star Wars: A New Dawn and Marvel Comics series

Isnt the EU all over the place anyway since nearly anyone could add to it.

Here is what Disney consider canon

• All six current movies
  • The Clone Wars
  • The Force Awakens as well as Episodes VIII, IX, and the spinoff movies
  • Star Wars: Rebels
  • The then-upcoming novel Star Wars: A New Dawn and Marvel Comics series

Which means all the interesting stuff from before and after the movies is no longer valid. All those books people had bought are now nothing more than glorified fan-fic.

Which means all the interesting stuff from before and after the movies is no longer valid. All those books people had bought are now nothing more than glorified fan-fic.

Unless the new films were going to follow the EU, this was always going to happen.  However it doesnt stop the writers using bits and pieces that they like from the EU.

Also well this might upset some of the hardcore fans, the majority of people that are going to see the new films wont know or care.  They just want the films to be good.

Unless the new films were going to follow the EU, this was always going to happen.  However it doesnt stop the writers using bits and pieces that they like from the EU.

Yeah. So while they'll still do what they like, if they run out of ideas they can poach bits from what they've already decided isn't good enough. It's a win/win situation for them!

Also well this might upset some of the hardcore fans, the majority of people that are going to see the new films wont know or care.  They just want the films to be good.

This is probably the issue. They only care about milking the cow for another 3 films. Get a new generation clamouring for the merchandise. Fuck what the old fans liked about the Star Wars universe, they've got some new fish to catch.

The whole thing feels weirdly insulting. I kinda get when films make up their own plots when existing stories are there (like Marvel films, barely any of them actually follow the comics), because they treat it like separate things with the films and the comics doing their own shit. But when they literally take decades worth of content and put it on the backbench for the sake of the new generation dollars, it feels slimy. They're waving their hands over what is there and saying 'none of that matters now, look the new action figures!!!'.

The whole thing feels weirdly insulting. I kinda get when films make up their own plots when existing stories are there (like Marvel films, barely any of them actually follow the comics), because they treat it like separate things with the films and the comics doing their own shit. But when they literally take decades worth of content and put it on the backbench for the sake of the new generation dollars, it feels slimy. They're waving their hands over what is there and saying 'none of that matters now, look the new action figures!!!'.

interesting take on it i suppose.  there is, of course, a big difference between what disney is doing with marvel compared to what they are doing with star wars...

with marvel, you had decades of stories printed in comics and graphic novels before the movies could even possible be made.  and let's face it, some things just don't copy well to the big screen, so i have no issue with them "cherry picking" stories here and there because the comics will always be the original cannon (at least to me)

but with star wars, our first intro to the lore was the movies themselves...just because Lucas allowed folks to dabble in his universe after the movies were made (with comics, books and graphic novels) doesn't mean it should be treated as official cannon.  doesn't that limit future film makers a bit if they have to stick to a story that was written years ago?  where is the reveal? no spoilers on the plot line for that sort of movie as the full story was told a decade ago. 

i have no problem with jj abrams bringing some new ideas to the table and if he does take some of the ideas/concepts used in "unofficial cannon" and incorporates them into the mix as long as folks get credit, who cares?

as long as lucas isn't involved in ANY of it, i'll wait until i see the final product to pass judgement.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, all those books were only ever glorified fan-fic. Most were poorly written and a lot of them contained contradictions (as they would with multiple writers). Sure, Lucas acknowledged them and allowed them and fans built up this extended universe around them, but they were still basically fan-fic.

I'm not sure that disregarding all of that is that big of a deal. If you do follow the extended universe stuff then they have to base a film either on those books (a lot of which were not exactly well written) or around that universe. Most people haven't read or have any interest in the EU books. By not following the extended universe Abrams has more freedom to come up with his own plot and universe.

I've read a big chunk of the EU books, I've played Kotor and other video games, I've enjoyed most of them. The fact that they are no longer considered "cannon" isn't a big deal, a lot of them were still good in there own right. Also a lot of them were shit and easily forgotten anyway.

• Upvote 1

As Papi said, the movies came first and are canon. The rest, which I've never read or played, I couldn't care less about so if it isn't canon is no big deal.

Edit: Ooops, I did buy a 6 part comic book about Luke joining a cloned Palpatine and then fighting him (or some such). No great loss if that didn't happen.

but with star wars, our first intro to the lore was the movies themselves...just because Lucas allowed folks to dabble in his universe after the movies were made (with comics, books and graphic novels) doesn't mean it should be treated as official cannon.  doesn't that limit future film makers a bit if they have to stick to a story that was written years ago?  where is the reveal? no spoilers on the plot line for that sort of movie as the full story was told a decade ago

Actually, the book of the first film came out a little bit before the film did, so technically the first intro was a book, though I will concede that the vast majority of people watched the film first. And then there were extended stories released before the following two films, so the extended universe (which was all treated as official canon and officially licenced) is just as old as the films are.

But it's a curious point you make that it would limit future film makers to stick to stories written years ago. Surely that's the case with all books/comics/games converted to films? Lord of the Rings had this problem, too. But the difference was they made the films a separate entity to the books so the canon will always be the because. In this case, they went the route of saying all the additional canon wasn't canon anymore and only these new films are canon. They've brushed their hands of the entire thing that many people have been following for years as official 'lore', and all because Disney wanted to do their own thing. Considering most people (it seems, judging from the responses here so far) aren't aware of what the extended universe contains anyway, it wouldn't matter about spoilers, just like any other film made about old content.

Had they just gone 'this stuff is the book canon and this stuff is the film canon', it would have been fine. But they decided to throw it all away as non-canon, and it pisses me off.

It is interesting to see what George Lucas has to say about the EU

I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions." ―George Lucas, from an interview in Starlog #337

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Legends        

So he has always seen the EU as a different universe than the films.

• Upvote 1

It is interesting to see what George Lucas has to say about the EU

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Legends        

So he has always seen the EU as a different universe than the films.

There's a lot more than that in which he said he was perfectly happy for people to expand on his work and build a mythology around it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon#George_Lucas_and_Star_Wars_canon

But it's a curious point you make that it would limit future film makers to stick to stories written years ago. Surely that's the case with all books/comics/games converted to films? 

Fair point.  Speaking of which, I would have loved to seen the Phoenix Saga in X-men done properly, instead we got the hot mess we did in X-men 3...speaking of retcon and ignoring stuff, I love how they didn't explain (and in the end, no one seemed to really mind) how the hell Professor X was still alive and in the same body in the recent X-men movie when he was clearly...disintegrated(?) in X-men 3 lol

Fair point.  Speaking of which, I would have loved to seen the Phoenix Saga in X-men done properly, instead we got the hot mess we did in X-men 3...speaking of retcon and ignoring stuff, I love how they didn't explain (and in the end, no one seemed to really mind) how the hell Professor X was still alive and in the same body in the recent X-men movie when he was clearly...disintegrated(?) in X-men 3 lol

All of the X-men films have been an absolute travesty (it seems to be the way with most comic films). They retconned their own films just to make those X-men prequels. I'm just glad I didn't pay to see it.

Days of Futures Past has made everything that happened in the first 3 X-Men films disappear.

All of the X-men films have been an absolute travesty (it seems to be the way with most comic films). They retconned their own films just to make those X-men prequels. I'm just glad I didn't pay to see it.

Other then the 2 Wolverine films and Last Stand, I think the X-Men films have been pretty good.  I would love to see them done as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as I think they would be better.

Also when it comes to film version of comics some thing have to change for the sake of non-readers.  For example in the upcoming Avenger Age of Ultron, Hank Pym is not the creator of Ultron.  This means not needing to add another new character than most viewers wont know.  Although he will be in the upcoming Ant Man film but not as Ant Man

Other then the 2 Wolverine films and Last Stand, I think the X-Men films have been pretty good.  

i agree with this.  sure, the first X-men had some clunky dialogue (Storm v Toad scene), but it was the first successful comic book adaptation and sort of paved the way for the movies that followed (for better or worse).  some missed opportunities:  Rogue...seriously, one of the best characters made useless in the movies.  Storm...her hair wasn't the only thing they couldn't get right.

but other than that, i think they were good movies.  you couldn't cast two better actors who fit their roles perfectly than patrick stewart and ian mckellen (imo)

Actually, the book of the first film came out a little bit before the film did, so technically the first intro was a book, though I will concede that the vast majority of people watched the film first. 

true, however, it was based on Lucas's original screenplay for the actual film...so i just treat it like an other movie novelization.