LOTROCommunity

Cast of Star Wars Episode VII Announced

Belechannas

Looks like George Lucas looked at the EU as a parallel universe for the most part.

As for Xmen, seems like as of now, there's little consistency in time lines. Even prior to Days of Future Past it was kinda wonky. Did Wolverine have adamantium prior to that movie coming out even???

One of the biggest issues to overcome in the films is that many of the comics have been around for decades, this make it hard to keep faithful to the comics.  Characters met years ago sometime decades ago, but we see them for the first time in origin stories that are set now.

but the fact that there is over two decades between the release of Superman and the first X-men movie is quite telling.

At least 3 Batman movies, a terrible Judge Dread film in the 90s and Blade spring to mind immediately as other comic book adaptations before x-men

At least 3 Batman movies, a terrible Judge Dread film in the 90s and Blade spring to mind immediately as other comic book adaptations before x-men

my point was simply that X-men reignited the genre so to speak (for better or worse)...it was quickly followed by Spiderman (two years later) and the rest, as they say is history.

my point was simply that X-men reignited the genre so to speak (for better or worse)...it was quickly followed by Spiderman (two years later) and the rest, as they say is history.

Ohrly?

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000939361/?start=1&view=detail&sort=release_date_us:asc&defaults=1

There's been a movie made in this genre almost every year since 1978. X-men is just another movie in a long list that demonstrates Hollywood's lack of creativity. And putting a bunch of super heroes and anti-heroes together isn't even an original idea, League of Justice.......Fantastic Four.......

There's been a movie made in this genre almost every year since 1978. X-men is just another movie in a long list that demonstrates Hollywood's lack of creativity. And putting a bunch of super heroes and anti-heroes together isn't even an original idea, League of Justice.......Fantastic Four.......

and? listing a bunch of mostly crap movies only furthers my point.  to each their own, if you think x-men was crap that is your opinion. 

personally, i think if it wasn't the commercial/critical success it was we might not have seen spiderman, iron man and the others that followed.

I would sat the  rise in the number of super hero films in the last 15 years has more to do with the technology to make them look more realistic rather than the success of any one film.  Comics are hugely popular but live action is hard to do well with many different powers. 

Original Superman, Batman, and Spiderman weren't huge blockbusters and commercial/critical successes? Color me shocked!

Who said X-Men was crap? I just said it was another super hero movie in a long line of super hero movies from an artistically dead industry.

Original Superman was successful........in 1978. The rest went downhill until the absolute bomb of number 4 in 1987.

Batman was a little better, until the crap of Batman & Robin in 1997.

I understand Papi's point. Xmen revived an otherwise mediocre comic book movie genre. Sure, there were some (mostly)crappy/modest/very successful movies that came from comic books (Barb Wire, etc./Blade/Men in Black respectively) but nothing decent from the mainstream DC/Marvel titles set in their shared universe. Clooney killed Batman and Superman was long dead. I think there was a fair bit of Marvel fandom that was waiting for something decent and Xmen fit the bill. Spiderman was the real explosion though.

Check that list Spidey put up. Tons more comic book movies per year after 2000 than before.

Original Superman was successful........in 1978. The rest went downhill until the absolute bomb of number 4 in 1987.

Superman took $134 million at the box office, which is you adjust it to today's money is $475 million.  Superman II took £108 million, which is adjusted to $323 million.  That is pretty successful considering Man of Steel took $291 million and Superman Returns only took $200 million.

Superman III did not too bad at the box office taking $60 million, adjusted to $157 million.

Superman IV bombed at the box office only taking $15.5 million, adjusted to $33 million.

I saw that it was from 2010 so figured it was another failed project.

Ah, I didn't see the date on that. If it has fallen off the radar, such would probably be merciful.

TBH the only superhero film I would like to see done (or I suppose redone in this case) would be Supergirl. How the world would react to an all-powerful female would make for a far more interesting story then Clark Kent imo.

Ah, I didn't see the date on that. If it has fallen off the radar, such would probably be merciful.

TBH the only superhero film I would like to see done (or I suppose redone in this case) would be Supergirl. How the world would react to an all-powerful female would make for a far more interesting story then Clark Kent imo.

They are making a new Supergirl TV show, and it is being made by the same people that do Arrow and The Flash.  There will not be any crossovers, at least for a while, as it is a different TV networks making it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4016454/

• Upvote 1