LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Laurinaohtar

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Looks awesome.  The first Dragon Age was an amazing game.  Had a similar sense of wornder for me as the old Neverwinter Nights did long ago.  I liked the expansion and the second one but they were not quite the same as the original.  

I look forward to this as well.

Not touching any Dragon Age stuff again. Not after they started putting tons of DLC shit straight into the game.

Yeah first one was amazing, second one sucked balls. I'm hoping this is a return to the form of the first. Bioware are quite famous now for release day DLC which is something I absolutely hate, unfortunately I know that I will still end up buying this, I am weak.

Yeah first one was amazing, second one sucked balls. I'm hoping this is a return to the form of the first. Bioware are quite famous now for release day DLC which is something I absolutely hate, unfortunately I know that I will still end up buying this, I am weak.

I'm exactly the same. Hope they keep the same soundtrack.

You'll prbably think this is hilarious but when I played Dragon Age 1 I had never played a mmo before and had all my characters as attackers and kept struggling. A friend kept telling me that I needed to make Alaister a tank and I hadn't a clue what the hell she meant by it no matter how much she tried to explain it. At least when the new one comes out I'll know how to properly spec my group now lol. 

I...hated DA:O. Coming from a hardcore Baldur's Gate enthusiast swimming in mods, reeled in by the promises of "BG successor" marketing tripe. It was nothing like BG---instead railroaded, loaded with cinematic effects for the passive movie-watcher experience, adolescent relationship scoring system... and the DLC, and MMO-style quest bangs.

This sort of only makes me shudder. Sorry. :P I'll never trust Bioware again, certainly in the EA age. Like Turbine post-WB.

(Pillars of Eternity!)

I...hated DA:O. Coming from a hardcore Baldur's Gate enthusiast swimming in mods, reeled in by the promises of "BG successor" marketing tripe. It was nothing like BG---instead railroaded, loaded with cinematic effects for the passive movie-watcher experience, adolescent relationship scoring system... and the DLC, and MMO-style quest bangs.

Bit similar here.  

+1

Hated is maybe too strong of a word, but for me DA:O was average at best.  I weren't even able to finish it. 

Aside of what Trilwych wrote of what was bad with it (which I agree with everything !), I would also add 2 things -

1. complete and utter overload with filler combat.  Don't get me wrong - many rpg's do have filler combat, but it is about the scale of it.   Combat itself was also preety unsatisfying - combat and character development systems lacked depth and interesting stuff from BG. 

2. World was not interesting or detailed.

Giving this a little bump.   I found an interesting video review from gamespot on this.  Thinking it may just be the thing to tide me over until Witcher3 comes out.... I really liked the first game in the series but really disliked the second.  This entry seems to be headed in a better direction though so I am going to give it a try.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/dragon-age-inquisition-review/1900-6415949/

I've been looking for the best deal for this, it's quite an expensive game. So far it seems the boxed version can be had for around £10 cheaper than the download version, I don't get that, surely it costs much more to produce and distribute?

Prices of products often have (sadly) little to do with costs of their creation.  Well things that are costly to produce usually are expensive, but if something is cheap to produce and/or distribute it does not mean it will be cheap.

It may cost more, but for many good (from game corporations point of view) reasons digital distribution is usually more expensive than boxed version, at least for new games.

You also have to remember that for many people digital download is worth more.  They don't have to spent time & effort to get to a shop and get a box.

---------------------------------------

As for DA:Inqusition - some review I've read mentioned there is i.e. no big city in this game at all + taking into account a fact that DA:I is expensive & will have gazzilion of DLCs + there are other things I don't like about DA:I from what I saw & read - I will pass for now. 

How does thingie compare to Elder Scrolls?

According to the review I posted earlier the size of the world is comparable. It's going to be less open world though I imagine and more following the story and series of events as you unlock them. If it is the same as previous games then combat is completely different, think more Baldurs Gate or possibly Diablo than Elder Scrolls, you can pause combat and queue up skills for you and your companions, you can have 3 companions with you at a time and they all have unique skills for you to use.

DA 1 had this cool thing where you could script actions for your companions, for example If someones health < 10% throw them a heal, if mob is attacking healer throw some taunts etc... They dumbed that down in DA2 but I hope it makes a reappearance.

Edit: here is how that worked in DA 1 http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Tactics_%28Origins%29

Apparently it will also be in the new one http://www.dragonage.com/#!/en_US/news/combat

Can we customise AI tactics as in the previous games (i.e. drink a health potion when below 25% health)? —@WordsToGold, Twitter

[DANIEL KADING]: Yes. The interface has changed, but it includes the ability to customize what skills your allies use, when they will (or won't!) use potions based on their health and how many potions you have left, and set targeting rules such as guarding certain allies or attacking the leader's target.

Prices of products often have (sadly) little to do with costs of their creation.  Well things that are costly to produce usually are expensive, but if something is cheap to produce and/or distribute it does not mean it will be cheap.

It may cost more, but for many good (from game corporations point of view) reasons digital distribution is usually more expensive than boxed version, at least for new games.

You also have to remember that for many people digital download is worth more.  They don't have to spent time & effort to get to a shop and get a box.

---------------------------------------

As for DA:Inqusition - some review I've read mentioned there is i.e. no big city in this game at all + taking into account a fact that DA:I is expensive & will have gazzilion of DLCs + there are other things I don't like about DA:I from what I saw & read - I will pass for now. 

I've heard the cost of making a game box and physically distributing it are like 50% of the price of a new game.  Digital distribution is far cheaper, but that savings was never was passed on to the consumer when the distribution model shifted.  The public is still paying the same regardless of how they purchase, even though digital is far more profitable for the publisher.

Personally I'm really excited. I'm one of the strange people that loved both Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2. I'm going to be leaving for the midnight launch for this game in about two hours :D

• Upvote 1

Personally I'm really excited. I'm one of the strange people that loved both Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2. I'm going to be leaving for the midnight launch for this game in about two hours :D

Liked them both too. Preloading as we speak...er...type.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have info on the DLC(s) and cash shop? Haven't heard much information, just a lot of complaining, so kinda curious what it's all about

Jealous, it's not available until Friday here.

As for dlc etc... All I know is that this is a bioware game which means there will be dlc and probably purchasable cosmetics.

They have said however that there is unlikely to be DLC that introduces new companions. Essentially DLC that contained new compainons in the past has had to be included in the base game and they got criticised for asking people to pay to unlock code that was already included on the disk.

Ok, started playing yesterday and have played about 9 hours so far. It's a very good game (IMHO), much more in the style of DA:O and a lot better than the 2nd one. The story is good, the voice acting goes between excellent and laughable (I now expect this in video games!), the world is large and very well done, I feel engaged in it and find it difficult to turn it off which can only be a good thing!

If I had any complaints I would say the Mouse + Keyboard controlls feel clunky, there is no auto-run to target when looting which is annoying and means you have to position yourself perfectly before looting or interacting with object and there is no mouse move using LMB + RMB which I have come te expect as normal on the PC now (although there is mouse turning W + RMB). Also if you are easily offended by console ports then you will probably hate the UIs menus and crafting system.

I don't mind it and am quite enjoying the combat but it feels more action than tactical like DA:O did.

I think, despite the faults I mention above, this game is excellent and a much better edition to the series than DA2. I don't know if I rate it as highly as DA:O (I prefered DA:Os combat) but it is certainly a very close 2nd.

• Upvote 3

Yay.  That is nice to hear.  I am thinking to buy this over the next month or so once I see more reviews out there like this one.  :)

Ok, started playing yesterday and have played about 9 hours so far. It's a very good game (IMHO), much more in the style of DA:O and a lot better than the 2nd one. The story is good, the voice acting goes between excellent and laughable (I now expect this in video games!), the world is large and very well done, I feel engaged in it and find it difficult to turn it off which can only be a good thing!

If I had any complaints I would say the Mouse + Keyboard controlls feel clunky, there is no auto-run to target when looting which is annoying and means you have to position yourself perfectly before looting or interacting with object and there is no mouse move using LMB + RMB which I have come te expect as normal on the PC now (although there is mouse turning W + RMB). Also if you are easily offended by console ports then you will probably hate the UIs menus and crafting system.

I don't mind it and am quite enjoying the combat but it feels more action than tactical like DA:O did.

I think, despite the faults I mention above, this game is excellent and a much better edition to the series than DA2. I don't know if I rate it as highly as DA:O (I prefered DA:Os combat) but it is certainly a very close 2nd.

What is the general art work like now? One thing I hated in DA2 was how they suddenly changed to a more anime style with enormous final fantasy style swords and qunari horns as big as a truck, and the less said about Flemeths bizzare hair the better. The dalish went from looking like elves to a more alien bulbous headed type creature too in my opinion, and Darkspawn also went from looking fairly ominous in DA:o to cartoonish ghouls in DA2. Have they stayed in that manga/anime style or have they reverted back to the DA;O "*more realistic" approach?

*I know DA:O is in no way as realistic as other games, but in comparison to DA2 it was like playing Skyrim to DA2's Sonic the hedghog ;)