LOTROCommunity

Dragon Age: Inquisition

No it's more like Mass Effects system, certain actions (siding with mages for example will piss off any templars in your group) and conversations will gain affection with people unlocking more conversation options, eventually leading to obvious romance dialogue. There is not bar or meter displaying this approval.

I haven't really played Mass Effects. 

Lack of bar or meter sounds good. It was so idiotic and ridiculous in DA:O.

What about giving items to get affection?  This stupidity is still there?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, started playing yesterday and have played about 9 hours so far. It's a very good game (IMHO), much more in the style of DA:O and a lot better than the 2nd one. The story is good, the voice acting

A new trailer. http://www.dragonage.com/#!/en_GB/home/latest-trailer I really hope this game isn't a let down, I've been looking forward to it for ages.

Personally I'm really excited. I'm one of the strange people that loved both Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2. I'm going to be leaving for the midnight launch for this game in about two hours

What about giving items to get affection?  This stupidity is still there?

No, they got rid of that. I always hated that idea in DA:O and SWTOR.

Basically the whole affectionromance thing is more or less invisible, it just happens, the more you interact with a character and if you pick the right conversation options or make certain decisions in quests etc.. Companions do have there own quests they want you to complete which will help you get a boost in affection with them.

Good to hear.  Of course now it is all a matter of how it is all constructed, how obvious or not obvious it is, how well it is written - and let me tell you I don't have faith in Bioware writing anymore, nor I do consider them "kings of story RPGs".   Still thank you for replies, that is first real good&good news info I've read on DA:I.  

Now I can actually consider buying this, when I'll have PC capable of running it on nice settings & once DA:I will be on some substantial sale.

Good to hear.  Of course now it is all a matter of how it is all constructed, how obvious or not obvious it is, how well it is written - and let me tell you I don't have faith in Bioware writing anymore, nor I do consider them "kings of story RPGs".   Still thank you for replies, that is first real good&good news info I've read on DA:I.

Now I can actually consider buying this, when I'll have PC capable of running it on nice settings & once DA:I will be on some substantial sale.

It's a better story than DA:2, not that this says much, DA:2 was terrible! The story does however follow on from the consequences at the end of DA:2 and the events in that game directly lead on to this story. I like some of the detail given to the background of the factions (Chantry, Seekers, Templars, Mages etc...) and the races. I'm 24 hours in but still quite early into the story, I've been running around doing side quests etc...

Biowares recent history has been mixed for me, I love the Mass Effect story and universe, for me Mass Effect rates up there with one of the best game series I have ever played... but then the ending was weak which was a real shame.

SWTOR has some interesting class stories and some very weak ones but overall I find it a bit disappointing in that respect.

Dragon Ages world and story has always been less strong than Mass Effects (IMO, sure some will disagree) and DA:2 was a real low point but it's still enjoyable and entertaining and they have created a fairly involved background to the world itself. Sometimes though it gets a bit... repetitive (ooh look, another mage possessed by Demons!). I've recently started another save on a new character (elf, rogue) just to see how different it is from my main (human, mage) and it does feel very different, NPCs interact with you very differently and some of the main plot elements change, I've only played a couple of hours though on the second character.

I'm not sure I would write Biowares story telling off completely, they have had a few blips in DA:2 and SWTOR (and possible the final 30 minutes of ME3) but I still maintain the rest of ME was brilliant.

Be aware that the game requires a minimum of a quad core CPU on the PC.

I for one am actually held back by the simple fact that EA is behind this.

There's something fishy in there somewhere and it's not about minotaur anal training.

The only real annoying thing about EAs backing in this game is having to use Origin which I'm not a great fan of.

• 4 weeks later...

Did they ever remove the fucktard party member "scoring system" as seen in DA:O?

Yes. :)

I even managed to finish the game without scoring... :(

(Bows beard in shame...) 

They also removed the gifts, and now one has got to talk one's way in like a bloomin Elf .... ;)

Yes. :)

I even managed to finish the game without scoring... :(

(Bows beard in shame...) 

They also removed the gifts, and now one has got to talk one's way in like a bloomin Elf .... ;)

Oh! Huh, I may loathe this less...

Well, the scoring system is certainly still there, just hidden.

Occasionally conversation choices trigger a "XXXX approves" or "XXXX slightly disapproves", etc notification.

I understand that the underlying mechanisms require math because it's just computer programming, but all the other games I've played with NPC/party interaction got by fine with pure text and black-box scoring. The overt in-your-face glowy numbers in DA:O actually enraged me, along with Mass Effect-style renegade/whatever. I don't care for the dis/approval text notifications either and wish all those things could just be turned off. If people can't pay attention to the dialogue with textual descriptors (video heads notwithstanding), they have no business playing RPGs, IMO... :P Interacting with an NPC/party member in a classic RPG sense shouldn't be an MMO-style rep grind with a tally to track.

I'm past the 25-hour mark now, and barely into the second main part of the story (that includes a lot of futzing around).

The narrative, backstory and characters are all really top-notch in my opinion. I think it's about as good as anything I've seen from Bioware.

The actual gameplay (so far) is rarely very challenging (I'm on normal difficulty). From what I remember DA:O was considerably harder.

Minor complaints:

1) The console-friendly UI is feels inefficient and clunky on PC. But it's serviceable, I suppose.

2) There is no way to change/tweak the appearance of your character after you finish character creation.

3) The game crashes too much - these crashes are nearly always during cinematics or cutscenes rather than actual play. And I've never lost more than a minute or two of gameplay as a result, due to the game auto-saving frequently. But it crashes too much.

I am around 60 hours in and still got loads to do as I spend so much time gathering resources and doing all the quests I can before moving on. Just killed my 4th dragon yesterday and they are not getting any easier.

My only real complaint so far is the long load screens, they are just annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

I got this a few days ago and am loving it. However it just doesn't feel like a Dragon Age game to me. I so far have not heard the signature soundtrack theme and it is painfully obvious they have emulated ESO. I often feel almost as though I am actually playing ESO , what with all the exploration, crystals to discover, matts to gather etc.

Dragon Age was never about exploration. It was about completing quests which you could determine the outcome within a tight storyline. With all the exploring, I can see the story becoming forgotten as a background piece.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I wanted it to be a Dragon Age game. The only thing it has in common with the other games is the story and party interactions. Everything else is just a copy of other games. To me the series has lost it's unique look and feel. 

Everything else is just a copy of other games. To me the series has lost it's unique look and feel. 

To be honest this is why I didn't pre-order DA3. It was clear with DA2 that they had no intention of sticking to the original lore and feel of DA, so I figured DA3 would be no different. I will buy it eventually because I hate having an incomplete collection, but it will be a long way down the line when the game is in a bargain basement or a steam sale. 

A friend bought me this game as a christmas present since I have been talking about getting it for a while now.  So far, I am 50 hours in and just got to Skyhold - nice digs!! ;)

As far as the "affection" banter.... I seem to be getting a lot of "xxx approves" type messages.  Sometimes I also see a little heart thingy in the response selections, so I don't know what that means exactly but I am only clicking on it for the characters I hope to...er... get to know better ;)

Oh, so the open scoring system is still there in some form. Meh. And the "console friendly" thing, just not interested. Well, despite the brief flash of maybe-curiosity, this isn't for me after all. :P

I don't find the UI a problem, so much as too big.  I am hoping this can be modded later.  I do think the game is really spectacularly pretty; I am running it on ultra and not having any issues so not sure why some are getting game crashes.  About the only annoyance I have encountered so far is that sometimes the rifts I have to close do not trigger when I approach, so I have to save the game and then reload for it to pop.  Otherwise, having lots to do, places to go and people to talk to have been really fun.  I also like the crafting system a lot, and have thus far made some pretty awesome gear and such which has saved me gold. :)

Oh, so the open scoring system is still there in some form. Meh. And the "console friendly" thing, just not interested. Well, despite the brief flash of maybe-curiosity, this isn't for me after all. :P

Nah, there is no score, just every now and then you may see "Sera approves", "Varric Dissaproves" when you make a decision. The console friendly interface is annoying, particularly inventory and crafting (unlike mtones I think the crafting system sucks!).

I'm still having a great time playing it though, about 50 hours played and thoroughly enjoying it.

*Edit: better elaborate on the crafting thing. Actually crafting in itself isn't that bad in terms of the items you get, it's the inventory management and crafting interface that makes it so painful.

^Ah, thanks for the clarification. They haven't actually released to console yet, though, have they? Hmph. I'm just going to go through my old IE games again at some point; still haven't finished Icewind Dale and haven't tried TOEE.

^Ah, thanks for the clarification. They haven't actually released to console yet, though, have they? Hmph. I'm just going to go through my old IE games again at some point; still haven't finished Icewind Dale and haven't tried TOEE.

I think they released on xbox, ps4 and PC simultaniously but I don't own any of those so may be wrong.

I have the PS4 version and know someone with the PS3 version.

As for crafting make sure you do the Acquire the Arcanist mission as soon as you get to Skyhold as this gives you access to the mastercraft weapons and armour. It is an instant complete mission that adds a npc to the crafting area