LOTROCommunity

Community manager tweets in favor of free speech; gets fired.

dietlbomb

I have highlighted the flaw in your argument. There is a significant difference between defending someone else's right to be a loathesome scumbag and being a loathesome scumbag yourself.

And, in the context of US politics, disliking a black President due to his left-wing ideology and failed implementations of left-wing policies, is not the same thing as disliking him because he's black.

Furthermore, in the context of this particular conversation, I disagree wholeheartedly with your argument, but absolutely defend your right to state it, however misbegotten and ill-considered it might be ;^)

I used the word apologist for a reason. I'm well aware of the phrase attributed to Voltaire that runs something like: 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it' and agree with it. The tweet I read only partially defended Sterling's right to be a bigot. Portraying the bigot as a victim makes him an apologist.

I used the word apologist for a reason. I'm well aware of the phrase attributed to Voltaire that runs something like: 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it' and agree with it. The tweet I read only partially defended Sterling's right to be a bigot. Portraying the bigot as a victim makes him an apologist.

Depending on if there was a right given to record that particular conversation, he may indeed have been the victim of a crime in California.

And yet, for all intents and purposes, he is a victim. He was a victim of personal conversations being recorded and then shared with the public, which resulted in him being forced out. That doesn't necessarily mean that what he did say is right or not, it simply means he's been a victim of private things being leaked.

A similar situation happened with Jeremy Clarkson lately, in which an old, unused clip of him mumbling 'catch a nigger by the toe' was discovered and leaked to the public. He's now suffering the consequences of something that wouldn't have been a problem otherwise.

I am strongly against this sort of stuff. Bringing up private or unknown things just to cause problems for people is against what I consider personal freedom to be.

The only thing Stirling's a victim of is his own stupidity.

Why would you knowingly record yourself spouting racist things?

Clarkson is a cunt. Always was, always will be, so I won't feel the slightest bit sorry for him.

Mumbling the 'n' word, I mean, in PC Britain, that was only going to get him in massive amounts of shit.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that the Association of Black Lawyers haven't been clamouring for him to get the sack from the BBC.

• Upvote 1

The only thing Stirling's a victim of is his own stupidity.

Why would you knowingly record yourself spouting racist things?

He was recording himself? Why would definitely be a good question.

Clarkson is a cunt. Always was, always will be, so I won't feel the slightest bit sorry for him.

Mumbling the 'n' word, I mean, in PC Britain, that was only going to get him in massive amounts of shit.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that the Association of Black Lawyers haven't been clamouring for him to get the sack from the BBC.

That's the thing, it wasn't even a take they used because they realised it would be a little too much. The whole point of the show is to be more un-PC. But some twat still dug it up to try and get him sacked. Like with that stupid 'slope' thing (that I found funny even at the time).

A similar situation happened with Jeremy Clarkson lately, in which an old, unused clip of him mumbling 'catch a nigger by the toe' was discovered and leaked to the public. He's now suffering the consequences of something that wouldn't have been a problem otherwise.

I am strongly against this sort of stuff. Bringing up private or unknown things just to cause problems for people is against what I consider personal freedom to be.

How can Clarkson mumbling the word in a TV show be construed as 'private' or 'unknown'? He knew exactly what he was doing and was just courting controversy. The man is probably not a racist, just a class A wanker.

You're starting to sound a lot like an apologist yourself.

My understanding is Stiviano (the girlfriend) recorded her conversation with Sterling and released it to TMZ as revenge. But this is TMZ and basketball... two things I care very little about.

How can Clarkson mumbling the word in a TV show be construed as 'private' or 'unknown'? He knew exactly what he was doing and was just courting controversy. The man is probably not a racist, just a class A wanker.

Because the clip was never aired. They went for a different version.

You're starting to sound a lot like an apologist yourself.

Good.

My understanding is Stiviano (the girlfriend) recorded her conversation with Sterling and released it to TMZ as revenge. But this is TMZ and basketball... two things I care very little about.

In that case, he is the victim then. He had a private conversation recorded and then leaked, in order to screw him over.

While I agree that Clarkson is the C word generally speaking, in this specific instance it's been totally blown out of all proportion and context. Back when that recording was made, "catch a n***** by the toe" was a very common childrens counting rhyme used when trying to choose between items ... "eeny meeny miny moe, catch a n***** by it's toe, if he hollars let him go, eeny meeny miny moe" ... at that time we didn't have all this political correctness and it was perfectly acceptable. To take a recording of something said that was acceptable at the time and apply current PC crap to it is just plain stupidity and that's why black lawyers aren't clamouring, because at least hey have the common sense to see the stupidity of it.

What is worse..

Calling a Scottish Black man who is Jewish a 

Scottish Bastard

Black Bastard

Jewish Bastard

Scottish Black Bastard

Scottish Jew Bastard

Black Jew Bastard

(yes I do actually have a good friend who is a Black, Jewish and is Scottish)

While I agree that Clarkson is the C word generally speaking, in this specific instance it's been totally blown out of all proportion and context. Back when that recording was made, "catch a n***** by the toe" was a very common childrens counting rhyme used when trying to choose between items ... "eeny meeny miny moe, catch a n***** by it's toe, if he hollars let him go, eeny meeny miny moe" ... at that time we didn't have all this political correctness and it was perfectly acceptable. To take a recording of something said that was acceptable at the time and apply current PC crap to it is just plain stupidity and that's why black lawyers aren't clamouring, because at least hey have the common sense to see the stupidity of it.

It's called changing moral Zeitgeist. What may be a children's rhyme in a bygone time is now viewed as insensitive by most, containing one of the most hateful words in the English language.

In bygone days people bandied derogatory nicknames and national stereotypes without thought: Pom, Frog, Wop, Dago, Hun, Yid, Coon, Nip, Wog. Times change. People are being arrested for chanting 'Yid' at football matches these days. Even the Yid Army.

Some of us lag behind the advancing wave of the changing moral Zeitgeist. Daily Mail readers seem particularly incensed about the whole thing. "PC correctness gone balmy!" Clarkson is certainly one of those. We can only hope the wave washes over him completely and leaves him washed up on the shores of obscurity. The rest of us will move with the spirit of the times.

The rest of us will move with the spirit of the times.

Or not. Not everyone wants to be a weed when it comes to offensive terms. Instead of making certain words 'unspeakable', people should just grow a spine and get over them.

Or not. Not everyone wants to be a weed when it comes to offensive terms. Instead of making certain words 'unspeakable', people should just grow a spine and get over them.

Bollocks.

Until you have been the subject of racist abuse from a group of mindless morons whilst minding your own business with your 4 year old child, don't tell people to grow a spine. 

People like you contribute towards the problem of people having no respect for each other.

It easy to stand there and say things like grow a spine, or its just words, but until you have been the subject of a group of people screaming and hurling racist abuse at you and your child then you have no idea how much damage it can do. 

What is worse..

Calling a Scottish Black man who is Jewish a 

Scottish Bastard

Black Bastard

Jewish Bastard

Scottish Black Bastard

Scottish Jew Bastard

Black Jew Bastard

(yes I do actually have a good friend who is a Black, Jewish and is Scottish)

Call him English. Or worse, cockney :)

Bollocks.

Until you have been the subject of racist abuse from a group of mindless morons whilst minding your own business with your 4 year old child, don't tell people to grow a spine. 

People like you contribute towards the problem of people having no respect for each other.

It easy to stand there and say things like grow a spine, or its just words, but until you have been the subject of a group of people screaming and hurling racist abuse at you and your child then you have no idea how much damage it can do. 

Just to put your ignorance into context, I'm ethnically a Romani gypsy. So yes, I have had to suffer with racist abuse from almost everyone (even those who pretend to care about racism seem to think insulting gypsies is fine).

As I said: grow a spine, it's just words.

While I think Jim calling a black guy a nigger is not something one should do, describing that Jim called a black guy a nigger could do without the PC 'N******' or 'N word' garbage. That's the kind of thing people need to grow a spine about, IMO.

• Upvote 1

I recall a Viz strip called 'Thieving Gyppo Bastards' that went overboard to parody all the racial bigotry and stereotypes that the media portrays. Though nothing as bad as My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding for reinforcing negative views on national tv.

No need to express ones own racist or bigoted opinions when on tv it's open season for those wanting to take pot shots at the obese, travellers or christians.

Just to put your ignorance into context, I'm ethnically a Romani gypsy. So yes, I have had to suffer with racist abuse from almost everyone (even those who pretend to care about racism seem to think insulting gypsies is fine).

As I said: grow a spine, it's just words.

The scary thing about the abuse you had to suffer is that it is entirely unjustified, people don't seem to realise there are multiple types of "gypsy" and it's only one or two types that have given the whole lifestyle a bad name, a true gypsy, one brought up in the true traditions, is one of the nicest people you could ever know in your life.

A true gypsy will always get permission to use land, will always clean up after themselves and will always help out the local community.

unfortunately there is an increasing number of what I won't even call gypsy's, we'll just call them travellers (and even that's stretching the term) who have latched onto the lifestyle and perverted it into the horribleness that people think is indicative of all traveling families.

I have friends also of true Romany stock, who's families have had to settle down into houses and forget what is a great lifestyle because of the intolerance fuelled by these disgusting pretenders, it's actually something I feel quite strongly about because have seen whole families all but destroyed because they have been tarred with the same brush as those hopeless wannabes.

• Upvote 2

The scary thing about the abuse you had to suffer is that it is entirely unjustified, people don't seem to realise there are multiple types of "gypsy" and it's only one or two types that have given the whole lifestyle a bad name, a true gypsy, one brought up in the true traditions, is one of the nicest people you could ever know in your life.

A true gypsy will always get permission to use land, will always clean up after themselves and will always help out the local community.

unfortunately there is an increasing number of what I won't even call gypsy's, we'll just call them travellers (and even that's stretching the term) who have latched onto the lifestyle and perverted it into the horribleness that people think is indicative of all traveling families.

I have friends also of true Romany stock, who's families have had to settle down into houses and forget what is a great lifestyle because of the intolerance fuelled by these disgusting pretenders, it's actually something I feel quite strongly about because have seen whole families all but destroyed because they have been tarred with the same brush as those hopeless wannabes.

citizen-kane-clapping.jpg

I've never had anyone understand that before. Thank you.

The sun has got his hat on, hip-hip-hip-hooray

The sun has got his hat on and he's coming out today

Now we'll all be happy, hip-hip-hip-hooray

The sun has got his hat on and he's coming out today

He's been tannin' niggers out in Timbuktu

Now he's coming back to do the same to you

So jump into your sunbath, hip-hip-hip-hooray

The sun has got his hat on and h's coming out today

All the little birds are singin'

All the little gnats are stingin'

All the little bees in twos and threes

Buzzing in the sun all day