LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Leafblade

Star Citizen

Is this the next great MMO?  

It's hard not to be impressed by some of the graphics.  I'm still trying to get a handle on the breadth and depth of the game's offerings.  Dogfighting.  Persistent universe.  Trading.

I'm not sure if I would not have preferred a more well done STO or SWTOR than this but it is something I've been watching.

Bought a new computer just to be ready for when the Dogfighting module is released (also a little bit for ESO, but mainly SC).

Hangar module in max settings is simply amazing, can't wait to fly around shooting other people with that kind of graphics.

Been waiting for this type of game ever since I played Freelancer.

Star Citizen is a bust for me, because:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/12/stick-and-rudder-five-reasons-star-citizen-isnt-a-dedicated-pv/

"Consequential -- i.e., meaningful -- MMO PvP works only in an open world setting, and while SC's persistent universe will purportedly live on a single shard rather than your typical collection of self-contained server communities, there's still a 100-player cap on any given sector. While we don't know exactly how large said sectors will be, it doesn't really matter because thousand-player EVE-style ship battles won't be possible regardless."

In Eve, everywhere is a PvP zone, everywhere is more of a PvP zone than the Moors are in LOTRO (because the Moors limits the players you can kill in half, by Freep or Creep).

So, even if you play Eve like a giant Carebear, you can feel like a hero, mining your ore in safest (not safe) areas, because you always have the chance of being killed and/or extorted at gunpoint by people like the below:

http://www.minerbumping.com/

EVE has always intrigued me but it seems like it's almost too late to start playing it.  I could be wrong.  I see so much going on and I feel so 'part time' now that I don't feel I could really join a real faction/kin/guild or go out and mine stuff without having my first three months' efforts suddenly get destroyed/ganked by a puke having a bad day.

ESO's Cyrodiil seems to hold much more potential for me.  Moors like with its persistent nature but diverse and also something I can choose to do when I want or choose to NOT do.

I find it hard to believe that EVE-sized battles could ever work in a game like SC. The time dilation needed to make EVE's massive fights work would make a game like SC unplayable. It works in EVE because the combat is more RTS than FPS.

It's just not a game created for massive battles, as it's more about the individual pilots skill and gear, instead of just throwing in more capital ships against the enemy.

The only thing that really bugs me about SC (and EVE) is that lack of realism. Not the lack of realistic physics, as that will be there in SC, but rather how the physics are used.

Is this the next great MMO?  

It's hard not to be impressed by some of the graphics.  I'm still trying to get a handle on the breadth and depth of the game's offerings.  Dogfighting.  Persistent universe.  Trading.

Never too late to start playing Eve. One can have a net benefit for a corp just after a week or so playing if pvp'ing in a frigate or willing to learn how to cc (or "tackle" as they call it). Eve pvp is more a state of mind and a willingness to go out, get blown up and die a bit whilst having fun.

Eve sized battles hardly work in Eve :D

I'd say it's never too late to start investing in Eve, just keep in mind you will have tasted very little of what Eve is really about during your 2 week trial in an NPC corp. Very little indeed.

The changes to learning skills mean it is now easier to start. Back in the day you had to invest weeks/months of training time just to be able to train at the default speed everyone gets now.

I'm keeping an eye on Star Citizen.

SC is a bust for me because it's not separate virtual world, but rather it's economy, gameplay 'achievements' (ships, weapons, etc)  is monetized and plugged in RL economy via cash shop.  Thus all sandbox things, trading, crafting, economy, getting ships and stuff, risk / lose factor, etc   are flawed and not attractive.  

No point in achieving stuff an sandboxy "fictional world simulation" economy game, when I can go and buy those things and no point in buying those things instead of playing.

Someone sooner or later will do dogfighting + bit of economy/loot/surival  game in space without monetizing game itself - but based on separate multiplayer servers run by players (like DayZ or Rust) and that one will get money.

Someone sooner or later will do dogfighting + bit of economy/loot/surival  game in space without monetizing game itself - but based on separate multiplayer servers run by players (like DayZ or Rust) and that one will get money.

You do know that SC will have exactly this feature?

You do know that SC will have exactly this feature?

Game mode that is run by players on player servers  that don't have cash shop at all and to which you can't import characters, ships, currency or any other thing from mmo-like game mode?

Game mode that is run by players on player servers that don't have cash shop at all and to which you can't import characters, ships, currency or any other thing from mmo-like game mode?

I haven't looked in to all the details, but SC will have player run servers, and as I've understood it, the ships and fluff you get when you pledge is only for the PU (megaserver).

II'm pretty certain all info on it exist on their website, but it can be a real bitch to navigate, esp since much of the info is in different videos. I do know that there is several threads in their forums where people are trying to collect all information to have it in one place.

The player run servers will be (as I've understood it) very much like Freelancer servers, open to mods, and special rulesets managed by whoever runs the server.

Also remember that Squadron 42 is almost a completely separate, storydriven game, where I'd be very surprised if "bought" equipment will have any impact at all.

I haven't looked in to all the details, but SC will have player run servers, and as I've understood it, the ships and fluff you get when you pledge is only for the PU (megaserver).

II'm pretty certain all info on it exist on their website, but it can be a real bitch to navigate, esp since much of the info is in different videos. I do know that there is several threads in their forums where people are trying to collect all information to have it in one place.

The player run servers will be (as I've understood it) very much like Freelancer servers, open to mods, and special rulesets managed by whoever runs the server.

Also remember that Squadron 42 is almost a completely separate, storydriven game, where I'd be very surprised if "bought" equipment will have any impact at all.

Real question remains whenever there will be cash shop / microtransactions somehow integrated into server sotware by developer and thus available on those player servers or not. 

Anyway - we'll see once game is released.  Not gonna go try to dig all this info now, especially that nothing is sure in game industry until game will actually release.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Affirmative.

Try finding any interview with Chris Roberts that doesn't have 'fidelity' or 'immersion' in it. He's reaching for the stars and there's no publisher grabbing all the money behind his back.

I backed SC summer last year. Just once for a modest amount, I'm not a 'pokemon gotta have 'em all' spacewhale. SC is the real thing.

The continuing delay of the dogfighting module is a bit concerning.  The big danger is Elite is going to really get the jump on SC here and grab the majority of the market share.  Once that's happened, it makes it that much harder for a competitor entering the market.

The continuing delay of the dogfighting module is a bit concerning. The big danger is Elite is going to really get the jump on SC here and grab the majority of the market share. Once that's happened, it makes it that much harder for a competitor entering the market.

I have to agree with this.

Generally, I'm very fanboish when it comes to SC, but just give us the damn DFM already.

I actually think this is the biggest problem SC has; everything keeps growing out of proportion. What was supposed to be an early alpha DFM is now basically a full game in its own, they even named it Arena Commander, since it's now so much more than just a DFM.

EVE has always intrigued me but it seems like it's almost too late to start playing it.  I could be wrong.  I see so much going on and I feel so 'part time' now that I don't feel I could really join a real faction/kin/guild or go out and mine stuff without having my first three months' efforts suddenly get destroyed/ganked by a puke having a bad day.

ESO's Cyrodiil seems to hold much more potential for me.  Moors like with its persistent nature but diverse and also something I can choose to do when I want or choose to NOT do.

Although there is a lot of time commitment with EVE it's actually quite a good game for new players if they have the time to dedicate and are how shall I say it? ... balls to the wall ... players. It only takes a couple of weeks playing to get the skills needed to run a tackling rifter, and not much longer to run a stealth bomber, if you choose your battle carefully and use the right tactics you can be quite successful, especially if you run in a small pack. You just have to be careful and learn a few tricks.

I think what's been hogging down the DFM all along has been the netcode. Everything else looks like it's happening and the teams are firing on all cilinders working at everything from PU to SQ42, FPS, planetside and finalizing ships. Don't forget they're not just working on the DFM, they're working on everything.

Still the DFM sucked a lot of extra time out of the teams, as the progress reports show. It's fair to say that that time also has to be made up for. The milestones for SQ42 and PU have likely shifted more back than the mere delay of the DFM. So one might think we get a mini-game Arena Commander because the originally concepted DFM alpha was too small and narrow to keep us busy in the further waits ahead.

The first thing we'll all get to play in Arena Commander is player vs. AI.

Player vs. player will be rolled out slowly, carefully, and pray things don't break.

The netcode is there, but they don't look too confident about it.

Remember late 2013 Chris Roberts made the decision to go with in-house netcode, for obvious good reasons. Future has to show that was the right decision as it pushed DFM alpha release way back on the calendar. Even more so than was expected back then.

Still, since it's much the bread and butter of this game, it's a good thing they're being 'it's done when it's done' about it.

I have to agree with this.

Generally, I'm very fanboish when it comes to SC, but just give us the damn DFM already.

I actually think this is the biggest problem SC has; everything keeps growing out of proportion. What was supposed to be an early alpha DFM is now basically a full game in its own, they even named it Arena Commander, since it's now so much more than just a DFM.

Yep. I was one of the folks on the official SC forums pushing for RSI to delay the DFM, when they were originally planned to release it last December. We didn't want them to give us an Alpha module that used the stock multiplayer tech already in the game engine, when their intention all along has been to use their own code for this. Testing it with the stock code would waste our time, and slow development of the game as a whole, or so was our thinking at the time.

Since then, though, the development of the DFM has gotten completely out of hand! What was supposed to be a delay of a couple of months, to get the custom multiplayer code set and in place, has become something else altogether, and I for one am entirely not happy about it! I feel like RSI has betrayed the trust of those who were supporting them in the delay initially, making us look like morons for asking for said delay to avoid an even greater delay in game development... and that's exactly what we got, anyway!

That said, I'll still stick with SC, because I already gave them my $60, and I want to see how it comes out. But at this rate it will be a 100GB monstrosity that eventually launches sometime after 2050!

Well it is all "before release" madness. I really don't care too much how they navigate through that.

Chris Roberts delivered a game I had endless fun with and I bought one of those small kickstarter packages to see how it plays out. I have no expectations either way.

Oh, and Eve </> SC.

Well, I'm in SC for a mere Aurora LN package. It is going to cost me loads more than that possibly, if it does turn out the BDSSE and I will then want the hardware to get maximum fidelity.  

Because fidelty.

Because immersion.

I get total gamegasms from those words. *O*

If everything goes as planned (fat chance right?), Arena Commander (formerly known as the Dog Fighting Module) will be released to backers

Oh the dogfight module. I dunno. I am a backer but I usually don't jump early anymore.