LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Leafblade

Star Citizen

Lol.  Delayed again.  If things keep going this way, Elite is going to eat SC alive (despite the massive difference in funds raised).

Well, no one that has followed SC for a while should be surprised. And in many ways, I think it's because of the money there's delays. It has grown out of proportion, and there's no way they can make the game they now have the funding for, in the timeframes put up earlier.

Don't forget that there's a publisher behind ED when comparing the two though. From what I've heard, the two games are now on about equal footing when it comes to funds. (I've heard £27M from publisher, but have no source for it).

I've watched some streams of ED alpha, and while it's certaintly an impressive game, SC is a whole other beast (yes, I know, comparing alpha testing of one game with dev videos of another is not the best way to do it)

Arena Commander is now released

... and it appears my instal is corrupted. There is a problem with the metafile, and it hangs on Repair, so it looks like I have to uninstall and reinstall the whole blasted thing! Yay for paid Alphas!

Yeah! I made my maiden flight!

The game runs surprisingly well on my 2 yrs old laptop. Full HD and medium looks to be playable. Nae bad and it looks soo pretty.

The controls look like something to get used to. Right now they do feel a bit indirect. But it's great to see main thruster and sidethrusters all responding in a realistic way to get my ship moving. Also; pew pew :)

But.. of course I'd had to get a cut in my index fingertip. Kinda hard to move around if every mousepress gives a nagging little ache. LOL. Had to happen last night. timing.

Only had about half an hour before work this morning, my impressions so far:

-Amazing graphics

-SLI a bit glitchy it seems

-HOTAS controls in coupled mode working as expected

HOTAS in decoupled not working as expected

-Too fast acceleration, or too low top speed. There's just not any room to play around.

-Only tried free flight, so no comment on AI yet

Can't wait til I get home from work!

If you get tired of Free Flight and pewpew I can recommend some EVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjRDrsl79vA

sc1.png

Star Citizen, not for consoles

Cloud Imperium Games developer Eric 'Wingman' Peterson recently talked to Italian site PC Gaming about the hardware required to enjoy a game of the upcoming crowdfunded blockbuster Star Citizen. Peterson said that while a high-end PC isn't a requirement of the game, those with such systems will be able to take full advantage of them. He also said that even the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 'next gen' consoles have no chance of handling the game, so it won't be coming to those platforms.

Often indie developers have console ambitions, reports PC Gamer, however Cloud Imperium aren't courting such intentions it seems. Peterson is reported as saying specifically on this point "First and foremost, consoles couldn’t possibly handle a game like Star Citizen." He went on to talk about how Star Citizen will make the most of what PCs have to offer, for a change; "…in the last few years we had the feeling that PC had been pushed aside, with most games coming out as mere console ports with graphics that didn’t really exploit the power of PC… Gaming PCs right now are formidable, with powerful CPUs and GPUs. Even next-generation consoles cannot be compared, their internal components are already older than what I could add to a gaming PC today."

This interview reinforces Cloud Imperium's stance on PC gaming. In 2013 founder Chris Roberts insisted that Star Citizen would never be "dumbed down for a lesser platform."

/discuss

/discuss

I approve! PC Master Race!

After the Ubisoft FarCry/Watch_dogs incidents I have lost all respect for the console industry

I approve! PC Master Race!

After the Ubisoft FarCry/Watch_dogs incidents I have lost all respect for the console industry

What incidents are these, if you don't mind sharing a link or explaining?

What incidents are these, if you don't mind sharing a link or explaining?

The short version is that they locked the Ultra settings on the PC version to a much lower setting than the game/high end PC can handle. Because they didn't want to have the PC version looking better than the console version. Meanwhile, they ran their demos on the true max to show of how great their game was (this was how it was first noticed, as people saw that the game they bought did not look as good as what they were shown, and then someone found out how to unlock the true max, and all hell broke lose)

The short version is that they locked the Ultra settings on the PC version to a much lower setting than the game/high end PC can handle. Because they didn't want to have the PC version looking better than the console version. Meanwhile, they ran their demos on the true max to show of how great their game was (this was how it was first noticed, as people saw that the game they bought did not look as good as what they were shown, and then someone found out how to unlock the true max, and all hell broke lose)

That is a pretty crappy move.  Thanks for sharing.

That is a pretty crappy move. Thanks for sharing.

II'm on mobile, so not gonna try copy/paste links, but you can go to youtube and search for "Far Cry 3 trailer vs release" to get an example. You can also do a google search for "Watch Dogs graphics issue" for some interesting reading

Multiplayer now availible to all backers with an alpha package or AC module pass

Yep, I got my invite a few days ago. Still sticks in my craw that we backers were promised Alpha access with no restrictions, and now that is exactly what we're getting, because they're calling the Multiplayer testing "pre-alpha".

Yep, I got my invite a few days ago. Still sticks in my craw that we backers were promised Alpha access with no restrictions, and now that is exactly what we're getting, because they're calling the Multiplayer testing "pre-alpha".

I'm not sure what I think about it really. I agree that it's a restriction, but at the same time I'm pretty sure that opening multiplayer to all at once would create so much problems we probably wouldn't be able to play multiplayer until now anyway...

Could somebody describe what kind of gameplay they offer right now?

I'm a backer but the communication was too IQ-lowering to consume :)

Could somebody describe what kind of gameplay they offer right now?

I'm a backer but the communication was too IQ-lowering to consume :)

Right now, if you have an alpha package, you have access to the dog-fight module called Arena Commander.

Atm it has single player vs vanduul swarm, and multiplayer in either team deathmatch, ffa or capture the core (flag).

Coming soon, racing module and more game modes in arena commander (co-op pve)

Btw, during the Constellation variants craze this weekend, they passed both $50M and $51M

I've tried the Arena Commander a few times now.

I found steering my ship rather sluggish. As in way too sluggish for a smallsize ship like the Aurora.

Not being able to customize key bindings didn't help either. I have very specific wishes for my own mouse+keyboard layouts as I'm a lefty using a righthand mouse in the left hand. 

Version 0.9 (in a few weeks) looks promising to improve both above factors.

All that's needed now is the ability to fly my actual Aurora LN instead of the crappy default one, and I'm ready to put in some serious time.

I haven't been playing AC much lately myself, until we get more non-combat stuff (like racing) and can take out the bigger ships there's not much interest from me.

I'm in it for the PU and the really big ships, so I got a long wait ahead of me, one that I don't mind, since I get to try out everything created to get us to that point.