LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tinker

Hobnanigans Chicken Fail

For the first time in months I'd actually been a little excited to try something in LOTRO. Hobnanigans is a chicken soccer game which sounded funny...plus winning a pet chicken to follow me around sounded cute. But when I logged in there was no event announcement, no map nor even a stable port to indicate the the activity was happening. I rode to the fields and quests were available, but no one was there. I asked about it in glff..and no one knew a thing about it. So, I finally lured some folks to join me up there. Then the bugs started. Quests given, but sticks not clickable. Stuck chickens. Players were confused and kept leaving the fields. No clear instructions. Too many fields and vendors spread out oddly. Several of us could not get into a game for over an hour. Finally I played and it was somewhat amusing. Still, each game lasts 10 minutes for 15 tokens (if you win). Then we realized that to get a pet chicken it will cost 1200 tokens total.  And this is just a weekend event that they will repeat randomly maybe like the Treasure Hunt event? A friend got a chicken to hold but then realized it's a one-time use only, which was a bummer. Oh and of course, there's some way to increase your tokens using Mithril Coins. Ugh. 

Honestly the whole thing reminded me of the new Fangorn area. Lots of work for little reward. Huge cost for one-time use recipes. No ports there. I see a pattern here. Not sure why Turbine is so stingy with prizes. I guess they imagine they'll get players to keep coming back, but all they do is discourage people imo. The enjoyment must outweigh the frustration/annoyance for it to be reinforcing. |:(

Basically I found the whole experience a big disappointment, as are some others on the censored forums. So, exactly what I tend to expect from Turbine.

Okay, rant over. Back to Rift.

Still, each game lasts 10 minutes for 15 tokens (if you win). Then we realized that to get a pet chicken it will cost 1200 tokens total.

WTF! 80 games to get one chicken, so at 10 minutes a game thats....hang on! (800 minutes 60 = 13.33 hours) 13.33 hours of chicken ball! Holy f**k!

WTF! 80 games to get one chicken, so at 10 minutes a game thats....hang on! (800 minutes 60 = 13.33 hours) 13.33 hours of chicken ball! Holy f**k!

And that's only if your team wins and if you can get a game to start. It took some of us over an hour to successfully get a game to start. Not sure how many points someone gets if their team loses. I didn't ask and was frustrated with the game glitching so logged off after playing a few times. 

All hail the mithril coins.

Ever since Turbine majorly fucked up Yule 2012, I swore off LotRO festivals. (And that wasn't bugged but explicit corporate greed.)

• Upvote 1

Why the hell would anyone want a chicken following you around? A cute puppy? Yes. But a chicken? Those things are disgusting.

Now being serious, the game is supposed to be set in Middle-earth. It's supposed to be based on a 'serious' fantasy IP. The game really is going down the pan. First baby hurons and now this. If a huron was following you around, you'd be dead pretty fast according to the lore, yet Turbine have turned them into all sweetness and light pets! Can you imagine what places such as Lothlorien and Moria are going to be like with people running around with stupid pets? Looks like immersion is another thing Turbine want to wreck. 

For the first time in months I'd actually been a little excited to try something in LOTRO. Hobnanigans is a chicken soccer game which sounded funny...plus winning a pet chicken to follow me around sounded cute. But when I logged in there was no event announcement, no map nor even a stable port to indicate the the activity was happening. I rode to the fields and quests were available, but no one was there. I asked about it in glff..and no one knew a thing about it. So, I finally lured some folks to join me up there. Then the bugs started. Quests given, but sticks not clickable. Stuck chickens. Players were confused and kept leaving the fields. No clear instructions. Too many fields and vendors spread out oddly. Several of us could not get into a game for over an hour. Finally I played and it was somewhat amusing. Still, each game lasts 10 minutes for 15 tokens (if you win). Then we realized that to get a pet chicken it will cost 1200 tokens total.  And this is just a weekend event that they will repeat randomly maybe like the Treasure Hunt event? A friend got a chicken to hold but then realized it's a one-time use only, which was a bummer. Oh and of course, there's some way to increase your tokens using Mithril Coins. Ugh. 

Honestly the whole thing reminded me of the new Fangorn area. Lots of work for little reward. Huge cost for one-time use recipes. No ports there. I see a pattern here. Not sure why Turbine is so stingy with prizes. I guess they imagine they'll get players to keep coming back, but all they do is discourage people imo. The enjoyment must outweigh the frustration/annoyance for it to be reinforcing. | :(

Basically I found the whole experience a big disappointment, as are some others on the censored forums. So, exactly what I tend to expect from Turbine.

Okay, rant over. Back to Rift.

Turbine to players:  "Hobnanigans is live!"

Players:  "Where?  When?  How?"  

Turbine:  "Hey, we activated it for you, what more do you want?"

Something Turbine has done has been glitchy, under-advertised, grind-filled and boring? Well fuck me sideways!

The game gets more and more like "There.com" every day. What a joke.

Why the hell would anyone want a chicken following you around? A cute puppy? Yes. But a chicken? Those things are disgusting.

Hey, I grew up on a farm and had a pet chicken in real life. Don't judge.   ;) 

Seriously though, I thought it would be fun during festivals to have a chicken named 'Dinner' follow my hobbit who wears the cooking utensil backpack and carries a frying pan.  :Y)

• Upvote 2

Hey, I grew up on a farm and had a pet chicken in real life. Don't judge.   ;) 

Seriously though, I thought it would be fun during festivals to have a chicken named 'Dinner' follow my hobbit who wears the cooking utensil backpack and carries a frying pan.  :Y)

My Hobbit Warden is named "Peckish"... good-bye chicken... wouldn't want the competition.  :P

I loved the pets in WoW (my tiny Christmas reindeer for example) but LOTRO is a different game and I wouldn't want a pet anywhere but in towns unless it were something like a dog which would fit the lore.

It's not 1200 tokens for a pet chicken, its 300 tokens max (for the cheapest chicken pet) - thats 150 Hobnanigan tokens plus 1 White Chicken Token (which you can barter for 150 hobnanigan tokens or if you're lucky you can randomly win it while playing)

So, I've been away from this forum for awhile, but I couldn't resist stopping by to talk about this event.

Pros: 1.Unbound tokens. All of them

2.Unbound rewards. (though, the emotes might be autoconsume on acquire, I haven't tested that yet)
         3. The random skills you get during the match add a little variety to help with the monotony of the grind.

4. There's both a 6v6 and a 3v3 version. Two arenas for each.

5. There's only 1 rep faction.

Cons: 1.Obscene reward prices.

2.Matches take way too long (When it was run in '07, the match ended after one team reached X points [either 3 or 5, I dont have the number handy] Now it takes 10m, period.

3. Two gold quality chickens require an item only available from winning, and even then its random and rare.

4.Duplicated Cosmetics from Farmers Faire

5.'New' cosmetics with matching appearances (2x Items, same appearance),  or the same exact appearance after using a dye.

6. 0 Public beta testing. Which means, we have issues like chickens making it out of the field. Getting stuck on top of poles, etc.

7. You can't see the reputation titles until you've already completed that tier because they're done as 'hidden' deeds.

8. They sell the option to get 'additional tokens' in your next match for 2 mithril coins. At the very least, it should be 5-6 matches, given that its a minimum length of 10m a match, if you can play that many consecutively without waiting for other players in between.

9. Even if your team wins, you might only get 5 tokens instead of the 15 total you should get for winning! (Happened to me TWICE!)

Edit: Forgot #9!

No testing. Color me surprised (not). They probably didn't test because.....there is no one around who can FIX the bugs.

• Upvote 3

It's not 1200 tokens for a pet chicken, its 300 tokens max (for the cheapest chicken pet) - thats 150 Hobnanigan tokens plus 1 White Chicken Token (which you can barter for 150 hobnanigan tokens or if you're lucky you can randomly win it while playing)

The price depends on which chicken pet you want actually. Here's another that's even more pricey according to Nathrien on the censored forums

Playing the game itself is rather enjoyable. However, the prices are so overwhelming that playing for rewards is often off-putting. The token costs really need to come down. 

Here's an example: Assume you're going after the Tome of the Scrapper Chicken. 

This tome costs 600 Hobnanigans Tokens and one Scrapper Chicken Token. The Scrapper token itself costs 1800 Hobnanigans Tokens. Effectively, you're looking at grinding 2400 Hobnanigans Tokens.

Assuming you don't get the double bonus from mithril coins and you win every match along the way for 15 tokens, you're looking at 160 games.

Assuming you play those games consistently, with no breaks or waiting for groups, that's 1600 minutes.

That 1600 minutes translates roughly into 27 hours of grinding at best. (26.66666667 for those who want exact figures)

...even for the 600 token items, under the same conditions, you're looking at a minimum of about 7 hours.

Yikes!

Bit flawed and not really optimized out fun, is it Turbine?

Which reminds me.. Story time. A player reported me for breaking the rules by farming the event. Then decided to tell me about it and rant.  I had a grand time quoting the  following back #1. Not botting #2. Multiboxing is legal #3. No infamy = No Rank Farming = No violation. ; I conceded that it would be inconsiderate, except that there were 2 empty fields still (a 3v3 and a 6v6).  On their continued insistance that I was under investigation and risking an account suspension, I decided to /ignore them on 2 of my 6 characters. Ironically, none of the characters they bothered to contact were my clearly obvious main. I really should have just reported for harassment. (Because, if ignoring you on one account which you've clearly assocated with my other accounts isn't enough to tell you that I don't want to hear anymore, and having you continue clearly qualifies, even if it's trivial) Oh, and you can thank Turbine for telling you now that you're messages aren't getting through because you're on /ignore. (I dont remember the update or the error message, but it was a recent change!)

I'd have been happy to 1v1 them as I had a number of other players. Or even put them on the team that won (did that also for folk). Plenty of field to go around after all. Just dont rant about it when I'm not stopping you from playing, in any way.

I may be in the minority here, but at least on Brandywine, we're having a lot of fun with Hobnanigans.

Sure, I think it could have benefited from a weekend of public testing on Bullroarer, but we've had untested mini-festivals debut with more annoying bugs. (I'm looking at you, Farmer's Faire!)

There's a healthy trade of tokens going on, and usually no more than half a team is AFK.

The reward costs may be a little steep, but if it's going to run one weekend a month, this way I don't burn out on it the first time around. I know it will take a while, and I'll get enough someday. I can see how the instant gratification crowd might be put off, though.

I may be in the minority here, but at least on Brandywine, we're having a lot of fun with Hobnanigans.

Sure, I think it could have benefited from a weekend of public testing on Bullroarer, but we've had untested mini-festivals debut with more annoying bugs. (I'm looking at you, Farmer's Faire!)

There's a healthy trade of tokens going on, and usually no more than half a team is AFK.

The reward costs may be a little steep, but if it's going to run one weekend a month, this way I don't burn out on it the first time around. I know it will take a while, and I'll get enough someday. I can see how the instant gratification crowd might be put off, though.

Which bugs were present for Farmer's Faire? Its also hard to consider that a mini-festival when it had mounts.

I had a lot of fun with the games where everyone was active. Or when I had a 1 on 1. 1v1 was challenging and required more strategy. 3v3 was much more chaotic and communal. I kept wishing we were in a fellowship strategizing! Alas, I didn't get to do any 6v6. When I've been on I've seen people begging for people to join on a specific field. Especially the 6v6. It seems like some players come as a group to do a couple of 3v3s and leave. Or they decide they get bored waiting, don't like the prices for the vendor and just move on.

To my knowledge Riddermark has no token trading. Likewise no one has the rep to upgrade the generic tokens to chicken tokens, unless they accelerated or played all day.

The reward costs aren't terrible if you're in it for the long haul, but for a casual player who isn't sure they're going to have the time on a random or specific weekend each month especially going into summer, it's something of a time crunch. And even multiboxing, I hardly have enough tokens to buy anything I actually want.

I have 845 tokens, 1 White token, 1 Scrapper Token. 

Someone offered me 15g for my Scrapper. I can't even barter upgrade for it myself yet. For comparison, thats the going rate for a lootbox key. I declined.

9. Even if your team wins, you might only get 5 tokens instead of the 15 total you should get for winning! (Happened to me TWICE!)

Edit: Forgot #9!

After the first (and only game) I played, I got only 5 tokens. There were only 3 players on the field, all blue - it appears the red team left the field just before the game start. We kept scoring, and the announcer kept saying we had, but then we only got 5 tokens.

While waiting for the next round to begin (which never did, because there were only 2 of us), I noticed that the goals have colored bunting on them, and that we'd been punting the chicken through the goal with red bunting. I'm wondering if the game then got confused, and was actually rewarding our points to the red team (or just didn't register the points at all), causing us to "fail" and get the lower number of points.

Which bugs were present for Farmer's Faire? Its also hard to consider that a mini-festival when it had mounts.

The drunken hobbits that reset incorrectly, making it impossible to complete unless you went to Lothlorien at night and scolded drunken elves instead.

That was when the Farmer's Faire first came out, I think they said it was fixed for the second year it was active.

The drunken hobbits that reset incorrectly, making it impossible to complete unless you went to Lothlorien at night and scolded drunken elves instead.

That was when the Farmer's Faire first came out, I think they said it was fixed for the second year it was active.

You're right. I'd forgotten that. Fortunately they could be worked around, and the +GMs would wander through and reset them periodically or on request.

As for the '5 token' issue. The consensus seems to be that Field 3 likes to treat it as a tie, if you only win by 1. You need to win by 2+ to be on the safe side to get 'winning' credit for your rewards.