LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tinker

Hobnanigans Chicken Fail

Nice to see they are maximising JWBarry's talents now he isn't needed for instance/raid design!

I don't know how much of the actual engineering work he may have done. They may have even just taken his work for the Medals/Merit system and tweaked it. I suspect JWB is more focused on EB6, and possibily EB7.

As for the '5 token' issue. The consensus seems to be that Field 3 likes to treat it as a tie, if you only win by 1. You need to win by 2+ to be on the safe side to get 'winning' credit for your rewards.

We were on field 2.

How are you multi-boxing? Just logging in on multiple accounts?

Yes. 6 Accounts. Brings this old thing to a grinding halt, but it's not too terrible if I can manage to get them all logged in. Its the inital load time that's killer *shakes fist at client*

I may be in the minority here, but at least on Brandywine, we're having a lot of fun with Hobnanigans.

That wasn't the report by evening, Fred.  The kinship, Entropy, was deliberately exploiting by monopolizing sticks and winning via AFK.  Multiple reports went out from other players who were disenfranchised by this and none were answered with a ban.

Didn't it take a year for Turbine to address the beer-something griefing? (I don't even remember the name of that particular side event/minigame.) I don't expect this to be fixed anytime ever.

Given the opportunity and tools, the worst will always come out.

Edit to add:

Everything about this smells like "desperate last ditch effort."

The drunken hobbits that reset incorrectly, making it impossible to complete unless you went to Lothlorien at night and scolded drunken elves instead.

That was when the Farmer's Faire first came out, I think they said it was fixed for the second year it was active.

I seem to remember that the first year they were completely broken.  The second year they were STILL broken but they finally fixed them a few days before the event was to end...

I may be remembering it wrong though.  I just sort of remember an uproar in the second year.

I seem to remember that the first year they were completely broken.  The second year they were STILL broken but they finally fixed them a few days before the event was to end...

I may be remembering it wrong though.  I just sort of remember an uproar in the second year.

The uproar was mostly as I recall, that you couldn't use the drunken elves in year 2, AND that so many people were there at the main event, that it still took forever to finish

As for the bans. I keep saying it. It may be discourteous, and unsportsmanlike, but it is in no way against policy. Especially if its 6 or 12 different players

Should it be against policy? Thats a different question entirely. See the official forum thread.

No, you're probably right.  I didn't bother with that quest at all the second time around.

Didn't it take a year for Turbine to address the beer-something griefing? (I don't even remember the name of that particular side event/minigame.) I don't expect this to be fixed anytime ever.

Given the opportunity and tools, the worst will always come out.

Edit to add:

Everything about this smells like "desperate last ditch effort."

Agreed, take something that got pulled 7 years ago for problems, and put it back in complete with bugs, just to get people to maybe spend mithril coins.  

As for the bans. I keep saying it. It may be discourteous, and unsportsmanlike, but it is in no way against policy. Especially if its 6 or 12 different players

Should it be against policy? Thats a different question entirely. See the official forum thread.

Turbine doesn't care about people being discourteous and unsportsmanlike, as long as it means people are playing.

JRRT would be so proud.

• Upvote 1

Turbine doesn't care about people being discourteous and unsportsmanlike, as long as it means people are playing.

Are there any occasions which multiboxing wouldn't be discourteous or unsportsman like? Can't the challenge of a 1v1 be enjoyable? What about low-pop worlds? I think we all agree that populations are low.

Are there any occasions which multiboxing wouldn't be discourteous or unsportsman like? Can't the challenge of a 1v1 be enjoyable? What about low-pop worlds? I think we all agree that populations are low.

All I see is you defending your actions using the "it's not against policy" mantra.  

Whatever, Crell.  Knock yourself out.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, take something that got pulled 7 years ago for problems, and put it back in complete with bugs, just to get people to maybe spend mithril coins.  

Turbine's Guiding Principles:

1. Tie it to Mithril Coins or the Store.

2. Make it as much of a grind as possible to get rewards.

Double bonus: add a faction for which it is a grind to obtain reputation.

Triple bonus: gate the rewards behind the new reputation faction.

3. Add in some element requiring RNG. 

4. Rush it through development.

All I see is you defending your actions using the "it's not against policy" mantra.  

*shrug* I got it done. I used it to help out other people.I had a match that was 2v1 and it was a blast! I just find the 'multiboxing is inherently wrong, or griefing' argument absurd.

Edit: I should point out that I was the 1 in the match.

Well, I've come around to Crell's viewpoint, mostly because I do play on a low-population server full of players that aren't very social, at least outside the kin. It's very difficult to get people involved in events. As a result, I do have a couple of F2P toons that I have used to complete tasks.

Typically, I'll let the server dictate when I use them. If plenty of people are participating: great, I'll just join in. If there aren't I'll log in my other accounts and progress "solo" (always being sure to drop them if participation does start increasing).

It is what it is.

Well, I've come around to Crell's viewpoint, mostly because I do play on a low-population server..

Typically, I'll let the server dictate when I use them. If plenty of people are participating: great, I'll just join in. If there aren't I'll log in my other accounts and progress "solo" (always being sure to drop them if participation does start increasing).

It is what it is.

It's nice to see that persuasive discussion can have an impact. The impact of players choosing to multibox varies widely from server to server. It's clear that it needs a custom layer size limit like the Keg arena had.

It's nice to see that persuasive discussion can have an impact. The impact of players choosing to multibox varies widely from server to server. It's clear that it needs a custom layer size limit like the Keg arena had.

Persuasive duscussion?  Bullshit, Crell, don't flatter yourself.

I don't think Talisman was operating on the same principles as your "sure it's discourteous and unsportsmanlike, but not against policy".  

How about the points where it benefited people standing around begging for players to join so they could do it at all? Or did I only make those on the OF?

The problems with having the same conversation in 3 different communities. Its easy to forget what all you said where.

How about the points where it benefited people standing around begging for players to join so they could do it at all? Or did I only make those on the OF?

The problems with having the same conversation in 3 different communities. Its easy to forget what all you said where.

You may have said it elsewhere, I don't read the OFs anymore.

Just heard from some kinnies who said they never win more than 5 tokens per game regardless if they lose or win. Not sure if this is something a lot of others are experiencing. I asked them if it was only in one particular field. They said it happened to them in Fields 1,2 and 3.  

Persuasive duscussion?  Bullshit, Crell, don't flatter yourself.

I don't think Talisman was operating on the same principles as your "sure it's discourteous and unsportsmanlike, but not against policy".  

To be honest, Crell didn't persuade me about anything. I didn't realize it, but I've been multiboxing for quite some time.

The only reason I started doing so was to complete the emote deeds (not the festival consumable deeds, but the real emote deeds), and that was ONLY after 1) trying to engage kinmates; 2) asking the global channels; 3) asking on the forums; 4) randomly targeting people in hopes that they'd target me back. The fourth method yielded the best results, but it was very hit or miss. After months of trying, I decided to create my first F2P account, and used a toon from that account to complete the deed.

Later, when there was so much outcry over festival consumables, I decided to log that character in, and spammed the items.

I also log the character during Yule and park her in the snowball field. If no one is around, I can complete the quest without having to wait. I often would leave the toon logged in so others could complete their quests, even if I was no where near the festival. I've never once been accused of being unsportsmanlike or discourteous (in fact, that toon garners a lot of praise).

And, BTW, are the following activities "unsportsmanlike" or "discourteous":

-Cook crafting the food required for the social deeds, and sending to alts.

-LMs/Captains using their skills on pets to complete class deeds?

-LMs/Captains setting their pets on aggressive to clear out low-level deeds (especially if no one else is around).

-Minis spamming the rez skill on another player to complete the deed (especially now that the class deed accels are in game).

-Using the Training Dummies in Galtrev or Snowbourne (and I assume there are some somewhere in Western Rohan) to complete class deeds?

-Setting instances/skirmishes to a low-enough level to make it easy to complete the deeds (I'm thinking of people who set Inn of Forsaken to lvl 20 in order to complete the riddle deed, or people lower the level of a skirm by 7-8 levels to complete the encounter deeds).

There are many ways to game the system so that you can do what you need to.

Again, so long as Crell isn't preventing other players from accessing a field, then I think mulitboxing is a perfectly reasonable solution to an issue we all know exists in this game.

To be honest, Crell didn't persuade me about anything. I didn't realize it, but I've been multiboxing for quite some time.

The only reason I started doing so was to complete the emote deeds (not the festival consumable deeds, but the real emote deeds), and that was ONLY after 1) trying to engage kinmates; 2) asking the global channels; 3) asking on the forums; 4) randomly targeting people in hopes that they'd target me back. The fourth method yielded the best results, but it was very hit or miss. After months of trying, I decided to create my first F2P account, and used a toon from that account to complete the deed.

Later, when there was so much outcry over festival consumables, I decided to log that character in, and spammed the items.

I also log the character during Yule and park her in the snowball field. If no one is around, I can complete the quest without having to wait. I often would leave the toon logged in so others could complete their quests, even if I was no where near the festival. I've never once been accused of being unsportsmanlike or discourteous (in fact, that toon garners a lot of praise).

And, BTW, are the following activities "unsportsmanlike" or "discourteous":

-Cook crafting the food required for the social deeds, and sending to alts.

-LMs/Captains using their skills on pets to complete class deeds?

-LMs/Captains setting their pets on aggressive to clear out low-level deeds (especially if no one else is around).

-Minis spamming the rez skill on another player to complete the deed (especially now that the class deed accels are in game).

-Using the Training Dummies in Galtrev or Snowbourne (and I assume there are some somewhere in Western Rohan) to complete class deeds?

-Setting instances/skirmishes to a low-enough level to make it easy to complete the deeds (I'm thinking of people who set Inn of Forsaken to lvl 20 in order to complete the riddle deed, or people lower the level of a skirm by 7-8 levels to complete the encounter deeds).

There are many ways to game the system so that you can do what you need to.

Again, so long as Crell isn't preventing other players from accessing a field, then I think mulitboxing is a perfectly reasonable solution to an issue we all know exists in this game.

Sorry, I think your leadoff sentence of "I've come around to Crell's viewpoint" made it sound otherwise.  I apologize if I misread you.

I don't know how much of the actual engineering work he may have done. They may have even just taken his work for the Medals/Merit system and tweaked it. I suspect JWB is more focused on EB6, and possibily EB7.

Not sure about this... From my memory, it is almost always the lead-dev responsible for the content that tends to reply to the forum posts..... I can see why you may think in such a way as JWB only replied concerning the rewards,  however, most of the responses were concerning either bugs (+ balancing) or rewards... It is much easier to explain a reward system than hold your hands up and admit content is buggy/unbalanced as hell. 

That's fair. Can you tell us what you thought multiboxing was until you came to your present understanding?

That's fair. Can you tell us what you thought multiboxing was until you came to your present understanding?

The first times I've heard about multiboxing in lotro was when people were talking about rankfarming in the moors.

Most people never thought it could be used for other things.

I didn't know there was a name for it.

I heard the term only in relation to the moors. I figured that some kind of technical magic allowed players to log a character in multiple times.