LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tinker

Hobnanigans Chicken Fail

In general, you'd need another computer entirely to log into a given game (like when the client only allows one running instance), thus the multi "box" part. I did use multi-accounting (heh) to create my vanity kinship, but otherwise never bothered because I'd have to completely lower the performance settings on the clients for them to run on the same computer. But multi-accounting is one thing, the going-AFK part for this event is another, I think...

But multi-accounting is one thing, the going-AFK part for this event is another, I think...

This is certainly the most complex instance of 'to multi account or not to multi account' I've seen in quite awhile.

Some people use multiple PCs (Adjacent/networked/KVM switch/otherwise)  others multiple clients on a single PC. I don't feel like there's much point distinguishing them when the end result is the same. X clients in 1 game, at once. #box is just a good shorthand for describing the setup. There's a pretty significant difference in what's required to 2box vs 6box/12box/24box. Often performance requirements increase exponentially per client if you want reliably responsive inputs in each game instance.

Rank farming isn't the same thing as multi-boxing. Sure, multi-boxing was/is used for rank farming, but it's always been used for more legitimate things as well.

Turbine has never stated that multi-boxing is against the rules.

Hence, there's nothing wrong with mutli-boxing per se, just what some people use it for.

Multi-boxing because you can't get a team to play Hobnanigans seems like a legitimate reason to me.

Rank farming isn't the same thing as multi-boxing. Sure, multi-boxing was/is used for rank farming, but it's always been used for more legitimate things as well.

Turbine has never stated that multi-boxing is against the rules.

They've expressly stated its legal a few times as well. Sorry I don't have quotes handy. Basically the policy is don't bot [aka, be responsive to admins and playing naturally], and you're fine.

I log up to 5 accounts easily on my desktop.

But, about the topic of this thread: because of the addition of this chicken grind I am finally done with this game. And that makes me sad.

For a very long time I have tried to find enjoyment in the game despite the destruction I saw taking place.

However, it became clear that this enjoyment came mostly from the interaction with my friends, and no longer from the game itself.

The straws that broke the camel's back: the three times is a charm chorus:

EB - ridiculous grind + has nothing to do with our classes

Ent pets - another ridiculous grind + RNG + only 2 quests per day

Chicken Shenanigans - the 3rd ridiculous grind + only available several times a year

I am not a hamster!

These 3 grinds together show me that the Paiz' statement that players will play anything holds very true for Lotro.

Even though the Paiz may be gone, their effects will be long lasting. It's a *profanity* shame!!

I have been disgusted by WB for a long time, and I see the effects WB's strategies have in Lotro way too clearly.

Many broken promises over the years, too many really when we start to add them up. No housing and no new raids. Instead: cosmetic pets galore.

It's my contention that the ent and chicken pet grinds are so aggravating that some players will turn to the store gladly once the store starts to carry pets.

It's utterly shameless to use ME for this.

My friends moved to another game, but I was not yet convinced, now I am. The controls are very different from Lotro's, but I like the game and I know I will get used to it, just as I got used to playing Lotro years ago.

/end of rant

• Upvote 1

I'm fairly certain Candy Crush is rather polished and bug-free, though. If you're one of the unlucky folks who experiences bugs frequently in this UNTESTED event (not to mention the AFK farming thing), then you're probably going to hate it.

And if someone does experience bugs frequently but still thinks it's the greatest thing to hit Middle Earth in recent memory, well....I'd argue their expectations are exceptionally low, but if they're not paying Turbine any money, then it's a wash. ;)

I'm just surprised that there are not dozens of posters on the OF complaining about forced grouping. 

With this hobnanigans Turbine have provided:

1. The need to group up to complete the content

2. PVP-based content

3. Something that is at the mercy of "griefers" and multiboxers

I would have thought that it would have got the usual crowd out with their torches and pitchforks demanding that it be made solo'able. Perhaps this is the first evidence of Turbine's stealth policy to being back group open world group content!

Having tradable tokens in a free to play game, along with the high cost of the pets practically encourages multi boxing.