LOTROCommunity

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - new from WB...

By my count from a very brief scan of a couple websites, there are 30-50 video games released each month. I am betting most have a brief flare of life and then fade away. Tunnel focus on SoM armchair over-analysis only goes so far. It briefly went top 10, probably better than most.

oh indeed, only the few rise to the top.  most games are forgotten.  it made it to the top 10 on hype.  that (hype) marketing budget cuts into the bottom line.

with Warner refocusing on doubling earnings:

i am guessing Warner wasn't banking on this one fading away.

it won't pass Warners best seller Batman: Arkham City & i doesn't even look like it will pass Warners best LoTR/ME themed game, LEGO The Lord of the Rings, (which isn't the top selling LoTR/ME themed game, fwiw.)

and that is why i am focused in on sales performance, (not some armchair commentary either, i've been tracking sales data since launch.)  this game will fade away & hopefully Warner will not make another.

anyway, here is an opinion that wasn't paid for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LLIQHs2RYE

a few careless statements made like, "combat is one big quicktime event"  when the triggered quicktime event is only a part of the combat, (usually triggered when escaping being killed, or to land a counter) but still, not a glowing review by any means.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following the destruction of the Ring and Sauron the Nazgul have been obliterated, but a new menace has taken their place. Voldermort and the Dementors. Can Gandalf and Dumbledore hold them off long e

You WB fans can be annoying in Tolkien-related discussions.   The lore breaks in early LOTRO (RK, LM, Minstrel) were tolerated as necessary to make the game an actually viable MMORPG without being l

yeah, i couldn't possible have a single reason, let alone a host of them...     on planet 'Herp Derp.' 

and i have to include this one as well because it will  counter any further questions you might have regarding the first:

in case you wanted to see him on a new character.

almost Francis level rage, and kinda funny, whilst driving home the point.

Game of the year!!!

yeah, i couldn't possible have a single reason, let alone a host of them...

I have a pretty strong feeling that the only real reason you're having issues with this game, is because it's being set in Tolkien's universe. Had it been in another/new fantasy world, you'd probably be playing and enjoying it right now. Why not state that fact and be done with it. 

SoM is a good game with something new and interesting in the Nemesis system. It of course has it's issues and weak spots, but they don't  overshadow the good parts imo.

I know very well that quantity doesn't equal quality (upcoming CoD game will be a good testament to that, for example). But since you brought up sales figures, SoM seems to be doing quite well in that department

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41917/Global/    (the upcoming release on PS3 and Xbox360 on Nov 18th will probably also boost those numbers considerably).

you clearly haven't read my posts in this thread.

yes, the ridiculous lore contorting story, is one reason,

you can set that aside and it is but the tip of the iceberg.  i have already amply laid out in previous posts my grievances with the generic pedestrain combat,(watch the videos i linked previously) map size, shady marketing practices, downright dishonest reviews & a nemesis system that is hamstrung by the actual material & not a fully realized system.

all that on top of the fact this story is Middle Earth in name only.

and as for your linking VGcharts, (something i did a long while back)  they've recently added two regions (France & Germany) with plans to add more.  those additions have put them a good 2 weeks behind.  i have numbers already for the 3 weeks this game has been live. the sustain on this hasn't been great & additionally week one & pre-sales were not that great either.

yes, XBox and PS3 have yet to launch and in an article i linked previously, those versions will not contain the full nemesis system that is on the current PS4 and XOne versions, but a significantly scaled back version.

additionally Assassins Creed Unity launches on November 11th.  before these additions.

so i do have a fairly good forecast of how it will sell.  those numbers will not provide the boost, you seem to think they will.

anyway, as for how it is fairing amongst the Warner titles to date.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=15839&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

it will gain as the delayed data is added, but so far it (two missing weeks included) hasn't surpassed some of the more well known titles by Warner and is well outside of the top 20.

& & & that is just Warners performance, when compared to other big names in the industry...  even Warners best title, is well outside the top 100.

i even suspect that first week of activity due to hype, won't register on raptr's October charts, even though it did see an activity signal there the first week.  it won't even be a week before it drops of the steam rankings first page.

the drop off on this title happened fast & it continues to fade.

so believe what you will.

Imma stick to shunning that game.

It may be a good game, then again so's Assassin's Creed.

Except Assassin's Creed wasn't born from cheapening the LOTR lore into yet another generic fantasy setting for people who don't like books in order to make a quick buck.

SoM is a good game with something new and interesting in the Nemesis system.

If your best argument for it being a 'good game' is a feature that requires incompetent players to function, then I don't know how you expect to be taken seriously. It is literally built for people who have never played a game before.

If your best argument for it being a 'good game' is a feature that requires incompetent players to function, then I don't know how you expect to be taken seriously. It is literally built for people who have never played a game before.

Play the game, instead of watching YouTube clips. Then you'll find out what level of incompetence among players it can handle.

additionally Assassins Creed Unity launches on November 11th.  before these additions.

Assassin's Creed: Unity is only available on the Bone and the PS4, so its launch probably won't impact 360 and PS3 sales of Mordor all that much.

However... Assassin's Creed: Rogue is also launching on November 11, and its only available on the 360 and PS3, so it probably will. :)

oh indeed, only the few rise to the top.  most games are forgotten.  it made it to the top 10 on hype.  that (hype) marketing budget cuts into the bottom line.

Ah, so I was right all along. You could have just said so earlier.

Ah, so I was right all along. You could have just said so earlier.

except, i already did say it.

at least the part were Shadows of Mordor was top 10 on STEAM for 2 weeks.  (& number one, absolutely nowhere!)

what i never said was that this was one of those special few games that are amazing earners.  the ones execs. & investors drool over whilst rubbing their genitals, hoping for a piece of the pie.

even at its best showing on STEAM, it only managed to bump #3Team Fortress 2 for just under 2 hours.  & never came remotely close to #2 Counter Strike: Global Offensive.  & SoM best numbers for one week, are easily dwarfed by DOTA 2's worst numbers going back for more than a year...  BY THE MAGNITUDE OF 6.

& the magnitude factor of DOTA 2's best numbers...  bitch please.

so no, you weren't right all along.

you were right that it is normal for most sub par games to follow an unimpressive user activity/sales cycle.

& what you seem to miss entirely, is the long tail market.  & why i think this title will NOT have one.

Assassin's Creed: Unity is only available on the Bone and the PS4, so its launch probably won't impact 360 and PS3 sales of Mordor all that much.

However... Assassin's Creed: Rogue is also launching on November 11, and its only available on the 360 and PS3, so it probably will. :)

yes and i already linked this, but here it is a second time, with the text:

so yeah, also a factor that will impact sales.

Play the game, instead of watching YouTube clips. Then you'll find out what level of incompetence among players it can handle.

yes because the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU

might save you from wasting your money.

never research; just buy into the hype.

did i get it right, stegg99?

• Upvote 1

and i have to include this one as well because it will  counter any further questions you might have regarding the first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU

in case you wanted to see him on a new character.

almost Francis level rage, and kinda funny, whilst driving home the point.

guy is clearly an intolerant terrorist who hates woman.

Having only watched my friend play SoM, I honestly don't see the hype behind it. It's not a terrible game by a longshot, but AC did it so much better. Honestly, if you took away the Tolkien setting and replaced them with generic fantasy characters, it would probably barely manage a blip on the collective gaming radar.

I'm also intrigued by the statements of an ex-Ubisoft employee who claimed that they stole code from the AC series (including the ideas behind the Nemesis system)

Any controversy to fuel sales....

In any case, I am looking forward to Unity next month :)

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this information, as it's second-hand friend-of-a-friend stuff, but...

This week I spent a little time talking to a mate who pals around with a good number of people who work within the games industry. And yeah. Shadow of Mordor IS a reskinned Batman game. Literally.

Apparently WB had the developers working on a Batman game that got shitcanned for some reason or another, most likely due to the ongoing successes of the Arkham series. Rather than see all that time and money go to waste they just took the code and hastily converted it into a Tolkien-themed game.

Originally it was going to be set in Gotham, with the "Nemesis" system comprising of members of Batman's rogue's gallery vying for dominion of the city's criminal underworld. Batman would duff up their underlings and press them into working for him undercover in order to, for example, bring down The Penguin's smuggling ring from the inside, etc. Which would leave a power vacuum in that part of the city which would be filled by Two-face, who you would then also have to bring down. And so on until the city was totally crime free.

All of the Middle-earth flavour in the game was very much tacked on at the last minute as a complete afterthought. Worse, it was done to rush an abandoned concept out the door and try to cash in on it.

Again, not sure if that's 100% genuine info so take it with a grain of salt, but to me it seems a better fit for the concept than Middle-earth.

Heh. Of course they recycled the shit. Why waste craptastic code just lying there like a pile of Hound leavings when you can use those rather than compile new Craptastic Code?

Seems like a lot of time and effort, this compiling of new craptastic code. Better to just re-use the old shit that was lying around and giving it some new looks instead.

• 4 weeks later...

37 fps as a low figure wouldn't bother me that much. I don't own this game but I would say that range would be acceptable for me in other games.

Thanks.

Another question. I am trying to block with my right mouse but it doesn't seem to do it. Is there something else I should do at the same time?

PJ.