LOTROCommunity

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - new from WB...

Tarantula

please, if you have any respect for Tolkien at all

don't buy this fucking game

Given how much so many of you seem to detest the idea, I kind of want to buy it. :)

However, as an Assassin's Creed fanboy, the part that upsets me about the game is not the wtf-how-is-this-Middle-Earth stuff, but rather the fact that they've seemingly ripped off Ubisoft's AC games engine for climbing and running.  Maybe WB/Monolith(?) obtained a license, but nobody seems to have posted if they have, and the folks here seem especially adept at finding such information if it exists, so...

A Dunedain with mind control sounds fun, but I'm holding out until they've given up trying to maintain any semblance of any connection to Tolkien's actual books.  When Elrond and Wolverine team up to kill Saruon's zombie invasion, I'll consider buying.

it will have to be a DC pairing.  Marvel characters are outside of Warners Corporate umbrella.

would you settle for Galadriel & Diana Prince (AKA: Wonder Woman)?  hit the female demogrraphic & with a little cleavage the males too, add some snappy dance routines and you've got the gays as well.  bish bash bosh, i smell a blockbuster!

but seriously...

gilda_rosanna_rect.jpg

It won't get modded like Skyrim cause WB is not creating this game for modding purposes.  

Skyrim (and Morrowind & Oblivion & Fallout 3&NV)  were written purposely in a way that made modding easier  + TES single player games have modding tools developed and delivered by Bethsesda.

Only AAA rpg AFAIK that is coming that is made with modding in mind and does plan to release modding tools is The Witcher 3.

WB is not planning anything like this.   Besides SoM would require nothing less than total conversion mod (aka completly new game using same game engine, tools, ai, etc)   to adhere to the lore in fist place, rather than 'expansion' mods like Skyrim has.

would you settle for Galadriel & Diana Prince (AKA: Wonder Woman)?  hit the female demogrraphic & with a little cleavage the males too, add some snappy dance routines and you've got the gays as well.  bish bash bosh, i smell a blockbuster!

This is nice, but you're still missing pop-culture references,  I think at least  Star Wars easter-eggs have to be put as well.  Also medieval fantasy and zombies are a little 'dense' and boring - good choices, but it's not enough - so vampires and Kirk&Spock (phasers!) are a must !

This is nice, but you're still missing pop-culture references,  I think at least  Star Wars easter-eggs have to be put as well.  Also medieval fantasy and zombies are a little 'dense' and boring - good choices, but it's not enough - so vampires and Kirk&Spock (phasers!) are a must !

Warner gave Fox's advances the cold shoulder, so Star Wars is out as well.  would you settle for some Lost in Space?

Ooh, but hey, they have that Potter stuff...

and i agree with the modding of SoM being not even likely.  something tells me Monolith/Warner are hoping against hope, folk don't turn this code on its back and see all the jibbly bits.  ;)

Ooh, but hey, they have that Potter stuff...

and i agree with the modding of SoM being not even likely.  something tells me Monolith/Warner are hoping against hope, folk don't turn this code on its back and see all the jibbly bits.  ;)

Potter!!!   Yeah Vampire Zombie Mage Teenagers from Space in Middle Earth !

As for 'code things'  - erm 'Assasin Creed code steal'  is silly thing.    It is not like running and climbing animations&coding is rocket science.   WB just wanted it to look very similar because Assasin Creed sell a lot of copies, so they've well... made a copy.     Same as i.e. Dota 2 is a ripoff from Dota or how Swtor skills were a direct ripoff from WoW, etc    Normal stuff really.    It does not mean that they've industry-espionaged AC code from Ubisoft.

Reason for no support for real modding is simple.    Almost all game titles don't give extensive modding support, because it is bad for business in most cases.

• 4 weeks later...

Following the destruction of the Ring and Sauron the Nazgul have been obliterated, but a new menace has taken their place. Voldermort and the Dementors. Can Gandalf and Dumbledore hold them off long enough for Harry and Frodo to find the Elder Wand and will Sam fall for Hermione. Plus in battles elswhere will Dobbie be able to calm the raging Gollum? - Find out in WB's new adventure.

• Upvote 4

Seems to be getting very good reviews... While I take all reviews with a pinch of salt it certainly looks like it doesn't suck badly.

The gameplay looks pretty decent.  Not really innovative.    It's looks ok if you're gaming abilities are based around button mashing and quick time events.   For a hack and slash game, it's probably fun.

Oh look. An overhyped game from a major publisher is being gushed over by a corrupt and easily bribed press. News at Eleven.

Give it three months after launch when all the marketing cronies at WB have lost interest in it and moved onto the next game to hype. Then you'll get the REAL skinny on the quality of the game.

For my part, not even gonna bother. It might be getting props for its story, but I'm not interested in the story because it's bunkum of the highest order. Middle-earth does not work that way.

Well, not everyone has jumped on the hypewagon:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-281235.phtml

6/10, a good bit of slashing all-round

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review/1900-6415884/

8/10

"Erratic story that concludes with anticlimactic battles

The most interesting mechanics don't appear until halfway through the story"

http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/25/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-is-dynamic-and-exciting-with-a-crazy-flaw-review/view-all/

8/10

For my part, not even gonna bother. It might be getting props for its story, but I'm not interested in the story because it's bunkum of the highest order. Middle-earth does not work that way.

On the other hand actually, several reviewers are unhappy about the story/narrative, but are giving good scores based on the sandbox part of the game.

The only thing that puts me off is the setting. If this had been some generic world, then fine.

So much this. Of course the LOTR brand is a strong tool for marketing and making your own setting takes a lot of effort, but I think the game would have been better off that way.

Well, I just got back from EGX London where I had a chance to try this and I have to say, I enjoyed it. It's more like the Batman Arkham games than Assassins Creed, the story is bad but it seems like a very fun game, I'll probably end up buying it.

get it after Christmas, the price drops on this one will be stunning.

yes the hype machine is in overdrive, & it's like the gaming press is repeating talking points, rather than actually reviewing the game.

this game will be very cheap post Christmas...  if Warner can manage to hold out that long on the discounts.  they could offer it cheap just in time for the season holidays in hopes of pulling in that final wave of fools.

but the hype is going to die fast on this title.  the game gets repetitive fast.  Mordor, isn't so very large in this game & the open world... it is no assassins creed.

no one is going to be hoping for more sequels come January first.

& that is really the true test isn't it.  one - two months after launch, who will still want to pay for this?

should that be you, at least it will be massively reduced in price by that point.

at least a single player like Skyrim has some sustain. (still top 10 on steam... as of this post #6)

whatever heights Shadows of Mordor achieves, i shall enjoy the swift plummet immensely.

so it manages top 10 on steam...  that won't last even 2 weeks.

you didn't ask my advice, Laurinaohtar, but here it is anyway...  if you want to save 30 bucks, wait a month.

it isn't like it is multiplayer, or even co-op, that you'll need anyone else but yourself to experience.

as for me...  they couldn't give this game to me free.