LOTROCommunity
nosam9

When Lotro players dare to speak the truth ...

There was a post in that thread that made me laugh. They stated that 'the attention to detail in recreating a 'believable' Middle Earth landscape is IMHO second to none.' No fucking shit it's second to none. There is no alternative!

A lot of people in that thread are basically saying 'I like Middle-earth so I will take any shit given to me with that label and lap it up'. Like they have no sense of self-respect or self-control.

That supposedly "believable Middle-Earth landscape" is actually quite crappy if you think about it... impassable hills and other barriers abound, you have none of that feeling of freedom and vast spaces you get in the books or watching the movies. You are funneled in every single area.

• Upvote 2

There was a post in that thread that made me laugh. They stated that 'the attention to detail in recreating a 'believable' Middle Earth landscape is IMHO second to none.' No fucking shit it's second to none. There is no alternative!

A lot of people in that thread are basically saying 'I like Middle-earth so I will take any shit given to me with that label and lap it up'. Like they have no sense of self-respect or self-control.

^ This

Well to be fair 7 years ago it did have amazing landscapes. The first time I travelled thought the shire was amazing, it really gave me the feeling that I was in Middle Earth. 

Fair enough places like Straddle, Bree, Archet were more like generic medieval towns and the other places were like medieval towns but with a few ruins but its still was fitting. The Original Old Forest was fantastic, a place were you could truly get lost :)  

I would actually go so far to say that the Original Old Forest was my favourite place in Lotro simply because it did a such a great job of capturing the essence of the book. Okay it was frustrating as hell and used to literately make me bang my head on my keyboard but still, my favourite place.  

Overall 7 years ago Lotro did a great job of having a playable recreation of Middle Earth. Sure you could argue about a few things regarding lore and being funnelled / Impassable Points but at the end of the day it is MMO and you are always going to get restrictions.  

The problem is we are 7 years on and it looks tired. The same graphical issues that were present then are still present now. When you compare it to other games it does look dated. The odd thing with Lotro is that instead of the later additions looking better, a lot of them look worse. 

The character models really do not help, they are so bad its embarrassing. Small details like grass, water effects, dynamic light and shadow effects etc, all fair pretty badly compared to a lot games now.

This is to be expected of an old game however when your competition have all had 1 or more major graphical update it does make things look a lot worse. Lotro compared to other games from its time has fairs badly. 

Yes, I remember that feeling of amazement. "The trees sway in the wind!" "There are real constellations at night!" "You can visit Bag End!" I remember the first time I passed far enough down Ered Luin to reach the "elf" area. The landscape became - elvish. And that Old Forest was brilliant: it was the first place which really scared me. The lights of Tom's house in the distance were such a relief.

LOTRO is indeed dated now, but I happen to think that its water effects are still good by modern standards; they were ahead of their time. I had been playing on low graphics settings to improve frame rate on a laptop for some time, but recently I installed LOTRO on a new PC and turned the settings up. Water looks wet; on running through a stream I left behind a totally believable "V" ripple.

bang my head on my keyboard

Coincidentally this is the boss strategy for all scaled content.
And EB's!

JK, but it isn't far off.

And Mrs Heydt is back in business. After a few months away from the OF, look in general or suggestions for AC2 references, how limited Turbine's budget is, how expensive things are and one person's challenge is other person impossie task quotes.

And Mrs Heydt is back in business. After a few months away from the OF, look in general or suggestions for AC2 references, how limited Turbine's budget is, how expensive things are and one person's challenge is other person impossie task quotes.

Nothing new there.  The only thing the Heydts like better than super easy content is telling others they are wrong.  And celebrating the loss of content they don't deem appropriate. 

Clearly everyone has here on ignore.  As no one even acknowledges her posts.

If anyone challenges her, the husband will show up shortly after.

I'll pass.  I've had enough of her and her pinhead spouse.

LOTRO is indeed dated now, but I happen to think that its water effects are still good by modern standards; they were ahead of their time.

You haven't seen water in Landmark or in Archeage then... that's "modern standard". Or even just Guild Wars 2 actually, DX9 engine... yet they have those "V" ripples when you walk or swim and they look better than the LOTRO DX11 ones. Oh yeah, and GW2 also manages underwater... something LOTRO was unable to do in the last 7 years and even the despised WoW had on day one.

And as someone already said, LOTRO waterfalls were ugly since day one. Guild Wars 2 (DX9) is crushing LOTRO and its DX11 engine without breaking a sweat for that feature too.

Eh. Brokk, isn't LotRO the only MMO you've ever played? What about modern single-player CRPGs? If you can't do an actual comparison, then there's no point in arguing for quality.

And therein lies the most interesting dissonance: LotRO is no longer a real MMO by genre standards, as so many of the players interested in "doing" things have left, leaving players interested in "seeing" things. At the same time, these same players who prefer "seeing" over "doing" often admit on the OF that LotRO is their first+only MMO/computer game experience. So what can they compare to, really? If comparing to one's imagination, I seriously expect one's internal eye to be far better with the Tolkien works than what Turbine has done, especially when taking into account engine capabilities and that many like Brokk are forced to lower quality settings for average gameplay. Then if comparing to other modern games, we'd get....threads being closed, I suppose.

As for the Heydts, they're a cancer on any gaming community, far more so than those who are unhappy and vocally express an opinion hoping to change something in which they actually participate.

Waterfall, GW2 (DX9) version:

yuwneKx.jpg

And of course, animated, it looks even better.

If you have any place in LOTRO (DX11) with a waterfall that looks even remotely as good, please post it. I just spent 30 minutes going to all best waterfall sites in LOTRO and they are, to be honest, all fake looking and ugly.

Well, that is an awesome waterfall! Yes, I admit I haven't got a lot to compare LOTRO with. I have shoulder-surfed when people have been playing other games, but not played other MMOs myself. Seven years ago, though, the most obvious comparison for LOTRO was WOW, which was really cartoony in comparison. (I think it had a big improvement 3/4 years ago?) That's why I said LOTRO was ahead of its time. I'd agree it's been overtaken now, but still that "V" ripple the other day did impress me.

How does Lotro compare at highest settings to other MMOs like rift or GW2 (at highest settings)? Does GW2 look really good on high? I really like the art style of GW2 - it's beautiful.

How does Lotro compare at highest settings to other MMOs like rift or GW2 (at highest settings)? Does GW2 look really good on high? I really like the art style of GW2 - it's beautiful.

I have a beefy computer, and I run all games with maxed out settings, at 60+ fps (vertical sync on). LOTRO can compare with Rift, Rift actually doesn't look that amazing at all. Some thing are better in Rift, some are worse. The choice of engine for Rift pretty much sealed it, it's the same engine than Warhammer.

GW2 though is a totally different beast. It crushes both games in every aspect, graphically wise. On thing I'm sure of as a software engineer who also does 3D effects as part of my job, is that ArenaNET (GW2) have amazing shader programmers. Those guys do things with DX9 other games (*cough* LOTRO *cough*) didn't manage to do, or at least not as well, with DX10 or even DX11.

The go visit Landmark or Archeage seaside, and you'll see how water can be done nowadays.

Landmark (imagine the Forochel coast, but like this, and of course animated):

lVoUyd4.jpg

For an MMO released in 2007 Lotro was pretty accomplished in terms of graphics. I don't think there is much point trying to compare it to modern MMOs. If you look at other MMOs that released around that time, WAR or AoC for example, Lotro compares well.

Both WAR and AoC released after Lotro, I would say Lotro was better than WAR (graphically) and not a million miles from AoC that was considered very good for its time.

I have a beefy computer, and I run all games with maxed out settings, at 60+ fps (vertical sync on). LOTRO can compare with Rift, Rift actually doesn't look that amazing at all. Some thing are better in Rift, some are worse. The choice of engine for Rift pretty much sealed it, it's the same engine than Warhammer.

GW2 though is a totally different beast. It crushes both games in every aspect, graphically wise. On thing I'm sure of as a software engineer who also does 3D effects as part of my job, is that ArenaNET (GW2) have amazing shader programmers. Those guys do things with DX9 other games (*cough* LOTRO *cough*) didn't manage to do, or at least not as well, with DX10 or even DX11.

The go visit Landmark or Archeage seaside, and you'll see how water can be done nowadays.

Landmark (imagine the Forochel coast, but like this, and of course animated):

lVoUyd4.jpg

Are you playing Landmark? Any good?

One thing Lotro has is Moria - has any other MMO or game even have anything like Moria? It is pretty incredible design. It would take a few weeks to find every part of it I think. It is a shame they did not keep it up, because the original devs made some really nice pieces of Lotro. Now it seems like some landscapes and a few areas are the only things "really nice" in Lotro that have come out in recent years.

We can talk about the graphics all day long.   But you could have the best looking game in the world and still have a lack of content and poor gameplay.  There are games with some great graphics that fail in the gameplay department.

A few that  I have been disappointed in:

Hitman Res.-  great graphics game looks awesome, but it plays on rails the entire way through.

Resident Evil 6-  Game looks good, gameplay is absolute fail marred by QTE's at every corner and getting randomly killed in spots.

Battlefield 4- Frostbite engine need I say more, marred by bugs and a horrible netcode.

The Last of Us- Graphics are amazing.  I realize it is a story driven game, but it fails to to take you off the rails long enough to enjoy it.

Game I have enjoyed with less than stellar graphics:

WOW- Always plenty of content.  Good well balance gameplay.  Yes it was way too cartoony

Rift - Same as above.

Dragon's Dogma-  Nothing that made me say it was a beautiful game but I put many many many hours into, even though it was a hack and slack RPG.  Definately no lack of gameplay.

Minecraft, while I haven't played others rave.

Graphics is honestly the least important reason to play a game. I play games for fun or for storylines. I don't play it to wank myself off over just how many polygons a developer can cram into a tree. Yet that's all that devs seem to go for these days. Every fucking game seems to need to be jaw-dropping visually and that's their entire selling point done. Then we end up with shallow content or shit stories for the sake of pleasing the magpie crowd. That same crowd that keep Michael Bay and his over-use of explosions out of the unemployment office.