LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
LasraelLarson

A random sampling of Server populations. Is it time for Server merges?

A few thoughts:

- can easily merge any number of prior server worlds

- save all old player databases, force all players to manually transfer each of their own toons themselves.

- toons do not exist in new merged world until player transfers each toon, causing the transfer out of old databases into the new one.

- for each toon, player gets a simple form that shows if they have to pick a new name, randomly rolled who keeps old name in cases of conflict (good luck)

- all toons get a unique ID number for internal database tracking purposes

- unique ID is used to re-link toons into friends and kin lists, in spite of the new names

- notes field can list original toon names so everyone can see who all the new names in their friends and kin lists used to be.

- all players get 20G refund for house, everyone has to buy new houses and re-decorate them, start from scratch on equal footing.

-  do a housing update at the same time, to excuse the need to manually re-decorate?

-  all old house items get left in new house storage chest when it is bought

- no more problem with all those old toons, if nobody ever comes back, they just get left in the old database until the player comes back and transfers them.

I don't think any game already developed will have something like this added . Would require lot of work with creating UI, fail-save, bug squashing, and most of all insane quality checking so not gonna happen.

Althrough All MMORPG games that are designed with separate servers in mind, should also have server merger function like this one described by Exploder made when still in development. This server merger tech& how-to  should be like one you described.   Nice work !

Would require lot of work with creating UI, fail-save, bug squashing, and most of all insane quality checking so not gonna happen.

I don't think you understand.  The entire process could be done completely using a separate transfer web site.  The old servers would no longer exist, full stop, just their databases.  If people tried to log in the new merged server, they would have no toons.  They would have to manually log into the Turbine my-account web site, and use a toon transfer web page, that would let check their unmoved toons for any name conflicts, enter a new name if wanted or needed, and then when the choices were confirmed good, the web site would copy the toons information from the old database of the old dead servers, and add the toons into the new merged server database.  It can even re-read and re-compare to make absolutely sure there are no mistakes, and a perfect copy is made every single time.

Now when the player launches the game and logs in to the new merged server, their toons are all there, everything goes as usual.  There is zero change in the game client.  It's just a very average database chore for a very average web site to do.  This very forum is way more complicated.  There are databases.  Read the records, search and compare for conflicts, let user edit name, save results to new database.  Just because Turbine presently makes a big stinking fuss and steals $25 each toon, does not mean it is actually that hard.

Even the housing issue would not need changes, if the existing Escrow service was used as-is to receive the old housing items, until the person buys a new house in the new world, which everyone has to.

It should actually be very straightforward and cheap to implement, because the hardest parts of the job are solved by totally average website technology, so no complex client updates or anything else.  And the tool will likely make it easier for them going ahead, for dealing with normal server transfers.

Unfortunately, there are a few things to be said about Turbine and the bolded part.
You see, you are talking about a company that
  1. had "Beta" written all over their official forum, for three odd years,
  2. finally fixed (ref fix) it, only to have all the cool features removed and
  3. arrive at the bog-standard, run-of-the-mill php forum they have now, with
  4. a default theme that is unreadable and
  5. too difficult for them to change into something not causing permanent brain-hemorrhage when
  6. it took a couple of forumites a few hours to do so.

They also

1. find their own website and forum so cumbersome to use that they
  2. post every single bit of official information on Twitter and that other site while
  3. claiming that this is not a problem because you don't need to register on said external sites to read them,
  4. they FAIL TO post the info on their own website (see 1) and
  5. let fellow forumites do that instead.

So no, the assumption that ANYTHING could be straightforward and/or cheap for Turbine to implement is out of the question.

SNy

On Snowbourn at 20:30 BST there were 541 people in the social panel.  Of them 90 were already at level 100

There are 417 people still using globallff

Unfortunately, there are a few things to be said about Turbine and the bolded part.
You see, you are talking about a company that
  3. arrive at the bog-standard, run-of-the-mill php forum they have now, with
  4. a default theme that is unreadable and
  5. too difficult for them to change into something not causing permanent brain-hemorrhage when
  6. it took a couple of forumites a few hours to do so.

They also

1. find their own website and forum so cumbersome to use that they
  2. post every single bit of official information on Twitter and that other site while
  3. claiming that this is not a problem because you don't need to register on said external sites to read them,
  4. they FAIL TO post the info on their own website (see 1) and
  5. let fellow forumites do that instead.

So no, the assumption that ANYTHING could be straightforward and/or cheap for Turbine to implement is out of the question.

SNy

Speaking of LOTRO's forum, I have to say the comparison to there's to WOW's is like night & day. I really like WOW's forum.

Speaking of LOTRO's forum, I have to say the comparison to there's to WOW's is like night & day. I really like WOW's forum.

Rather a culture shock

In a way that's gotta be the saddest GD thing I've heard in a long time

I remember once upon a time the LOTRO community including the boards were know across the entire industry without peer while Wow's was long known for quite the opposite.  You couldn't go to any mmo website without someone referencing how good it was.  Hearing the contrast to what it's become now is something of a shock even though I observed much of the change.

Rather a culture shock

In a way that's gotta be the saddest GD thing I've heard in a long time

I remember once upon a time the LOTRO community including the boards were know across the entire industry 

I remember once upon the time that the Windfola creep population had some of the most cancerous fucks I've ever seen.

If there's anything LOTRO's known across the entire industry for it's the invisible walls and abused PvMP.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

(all times P.S.T)

11:30 A.M.

Eldar:

GLFF: 149

Global: 249

11;35 A.M.

Evernight:

GLFF: 155

Global: 437

11:39 A.M.

Gilrain:

GLFF: 79

Global: 169

11:42 A.M.

Lauralin:

GLFF: 235

Global: 549

11:48 A.M.

Snowbourn:

GLFF: 354

Global: 557

11:53 A.M.

Withywindle:

GLFF: 107

Global: 251

this is in and around the daily peak for E.U. servers.  whilst the recommended server of Evernight, the RP Lauralin & Snowbourn fair OK.  Eldar & Withywindle are small & Gilrain continues to flounder.

whilst merges won't happen, they should.  E.U could cull at least 3 of those servers.

healthy servers should peak at around 1000 players or more.  and for me to consider a server to have a large populace, those peaks should be closer to 3000 players.

currently the E.U server population is entirely without even one server i would consider large.

the bump created by U.14 hasn't changed my mind.  merges should still happen.  though we all know they won't.

& if this game somehow manages to stay online past the conclusion of the story, only then will they merge & run the game in "TRUE" maintenance.

however, given that they still are ignoring the issue with abysmal populations like the one on Gilrain...   i still think it is more likely the plug will be pulled & well before 2017.

if they can maintain the fast release of content, we may even arrive at the conclusion as early as the Fall of 2015.  & this does not take into account controls outside of Turbine itself.

Is there any number for Landroval? I had no trouble finding groups for Moria with my captain on Landy. Last week, i've formed groups for quests in Evendin with my rune keeper. The way i see, there's always some people doing quests, all around.

Is there any number for Landroval? I had no trouble finding groups for Moria with my captain on Landy. Last week, i've formed groups for quests in Evendin with my rune keeper. The way i see, there's always some people doing quests, all around.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

1:10 P.M.  P.S.T

Landroval:

GLFF: 145

Global: 332

North American servers don't peak at the same time as E.U servers and trend to be approximately 5 hours later.

i will do the other N.A servers either today, or in the next couple...  generally speaking Brandywine & Gladden are the biggest, followed by Landroval & then CrickHollow.

those 4 are the strongest NA servers.  whilst better than NA laggers like Firefoot, Elendilmir & Nimrodel,  they aren't what i would consider large

the merge needed for NA would be something comparable to this....

{Arkenstone - Dwarrowdelf - Nimrodel - Silverlode} ---> merge.

{Gladden - Imladris - Vilya- Windfola} ---> merge

{Elendilmir - Firefoot - Meneldor - Riddermark} ---> merge

{Crickhallow - Landroval} ---> merge

and Brandywine can stay as is.  from 15 to 5.  that is what should happen for North America.... but it won't.  not yet anyway.

Landroval is one of the top 4 Lotro servers. Not surprised people are still there, or have transferred there.

it isn't that impressive really.

lotro-population-landroval.png

and at least on my server of Nimrodel all talk of transfers, are for Brandywine.

lotro-population-brandywine.png

more than just talk, i can confirm several names, that used to be on my server, now making Brandywine their home.  still under 1000 player concurrency though, so i personally don't call that big.  bigger than most of the current LoTRO servers, yes.  but again, these populations aren't that large really.  especially when you compare them to higher marks of the past.

Yeah, I agree. I had the impression, though, that Landroval always had a steady population and never suffered from a small population like most other servers. Not surprised that it's a lot smaller than Brandywine though.

It's funny that despite the losers on the OF saying how they LOVE small servers, most players have consolidated themselves on larger servers. Or not most, but a lot of players basically did their own server merges to the largest couple of servers. New players look for the largest server, and many old players reroll or transfer to Brandywine etc.

Friday, September 5, 2014

(all times PST)

4:35 PM

Gladden:

GLFF: 127

Global: 661

lotro-population-gladden.png

4:42 PM

Brandywine

GLFF: 321

Global: 620

4:48 PM

Landroval

GLFF: 146

Global: 387

4:52 PM

Crickhollow

GLFF: 59

Global: 270

4:57 PM

Meneldor

GLFF: 97

Global: 265

5:00 PM

Arkenstone

GLFF: 99

Global: 216

5:04 PM

Silverlode

GLFF: 66

Global 210

lotro-population-silverlode.png

whilst the raw data usually puts Gladden well ahead of Brandywine for sheer numbers, the churn rate on Gladden is higher.  that said, Gladden is LoTRO's only big server, as long as it remains the recommended server that is.

anyway, this is around the peak for North America, so these numbers as the my previous post, showcase more favorable numbers, for the day (& time of) they are taken.

Friday, September 5, 2014

(all times PST)

5:24 PM

Windfola

GLFF: 98

Global: 234

lotro-population-windfola.png

5:27 PM

Vilya

GLFF: 61

Unite: 67

Global: 206

5:31 PM

Imladris

GLFF: 73

Global: 188

5:33 PM

Dwarrowdelf

GLFF: 73

Global: 203

5:36 PM

Riddermark

GLFF: 57

Global: 144

lotro-population-riddermark.png

5:39 PM

Firefoot:

GLFF: 66

Global: 214

5:42 PM

Elendilmir

GLFF: 100

Global: 218

5:45 PM

Nimrodel

GLFF: 96

Global: 212

all slightly after peak, but not much, so still favorable numbers.  & with all these servers in my past 3 posts, the lowest ones are crippled during off peak hours.  they still drop to fumes.

{Crickhallow - Landroval} ---> merge

and Brandywine can stay as is.  from 15 to 5.  that is what should happen for North America.... but it won't.  not yet anyway.

Thankfully, this is just your suggestion. Landroval happens to be the NA "RP Encouraged" server, and had always been known as the server to go to for RP long before the NA/EU merge happened. Landy & Laurelin both have the same kind of atmosphere, and it isn't replicated on other servers. Landroval wouldn't take well to this.

BTW, we've seen a lot of transfers to Landroval as well. It seems they either go to Brandywine or Landroval based on everything that I've heard.

Thankfully, this is just your suggestion. Landroval happens to be the NA "RP Encouraged" server, and had always been known as the server to go to for RP long before the NA/EU merge happened. Landy & Laurelin both have the same kind of atmosphere, and it isn't replicated on other servers. Landroval wouldn't take well to this.

BTW, we've seen a lot of transfers to Landroval as well. It seems they either go to Brandywine or Landroval based on everything that I've heard.

hmmm, you seemed like a player who has been around awhile...  i guess not. *shrug?*

when FTP launched with the 4 new servers;  Crickhollow, Dwarrowdelf, Imladris & Riddermark...

2 communities discussed rolling on the new servers to help them get kick started.  The PvMP community & the RP community.

the PvMP community eventually settled on Riddermark.  the RP community chose Crickhollow.

if any server could roll into (merge with) Landroval, it would be Crickhollow.

it is unlikely an EU server will ever roll into a US server, because of the different billing laws and practices associated with the EU.  so Laurelin & Landroval will never merge.

as for Landroval carrying on without a merge.  honestly i am not to concerned if Landroval continues to shrink.   regardless, it was not in ignorance that i suggested Crickhollow & Landroval merge.

but if the personality politics Landroval is notorious for hold sway and they would, true to form, flip their collective ....

in that case, Brandywine & Crickhollow --->  merge.

it is interesting that Riddermark is doing the worst of those 4, with Imladris coming in close behind, followed by Dwarrowdelf.  & of the 4, Crickhollow is doing the best.  nothing stellar, but better than the other 3 FTP servers.

anyway off peak.

1:55 AM PST

Nimrodel

lotro-population-nimrodel.png

GLFF: 34

Global: 68

getting close to pre U.14 numbers.  tis the case with most servers.

hmmm, you seemed like a player who has been around awhile...  i guess not. *shrug?*

when FTP launched with the 4 new servers;  Crickhollow, Dwarrowdelf, Imladris & Riddermark...

2 communities discussed rolling on the new servers to help them get kick started.  The PvMP community & the RP community.

the PvMP community eventually settled on Riddermark.  the RP community chose Crickhollow.

if any server could roll into (merge with) Landroval, it would be Crickhollow.

it is unlikely an EU server will ever roll into a US server, because of the different billing laws and practices associated with the EU.  so Laurelin & Landroval will never merge.

as for Landroval carrying on without a merge.  honestly i am not to concerned if Landroval continues to shrink.   regardless, it was not in ignorance that i suggested Crickhollow & Landroval merge.

but if the personality politics Landroval is notorious for hold sway and they would, true to form, flip their collective ....

in that case, Brandywine & Crickhollow --->  merge.

it is interesting that Riddermark is doing the worst of those 4, with Imladris coming in close behind, followed by Dwarrowdelf.  & of the 4, Crickhollow is doing the best.  nothing stellar, but better than the other 3 FTP servers.

Landroval should remain unmerged and "quarantined" so that those who want to want that kind of gaming environment can transfer there and ensure that LMB and its ilk don't impact others.

I find it ironic that the "beta forums" were actually better than what's there today.

The blog option was nice for those who were new to blogs and made for some entertaining stories.  The ability to look up others, as well as your own toon without logging in was nice as well.  (similar to WOW Armory)   Trying to look up the armor you needed next and having a copy of your character to compare was helpful.  (especially if you did so at work where the game was not available)

Lotteries were nice as well, I never won any of them but it was nice to know you had a shot at winning something you would not be facing a grind for. 

Really all the old features needed was some tweaking.  Instead they were removed. 

Losing the ability to look up toons outside the game was the biggest loss.  I suspect they decided to nix that when a PC member got called out on the forums and had a screenshot of his toon linked/displayed.   If that was why it was eliminated, that's too bad.  I believe the anon feature kept it hidden.  If there was one feature I missed most that was it.  I used to use the wow armory all the time to find out what instances I wanted to run for what gear I needed and I didn't need to alt tab back and forth witht he game up.  If I remember correctly the Lotro one never really worked that well at all.  It never seemed to update after certain periods of time.

Does anyone have figures for /world channel, as this would be everyone online wouldn't it ?

PJ

Like all official channels it doesnt tell you how many are in it

Landroval should remain unmerged and "quarantined" so that those who want to want that kind of gaming environment can transfer there and ensure that LMB and its ilk don't impact others.

would be a fitting punishment for the terrible attitudes that have incubated in that environment.

i think nosam said Landroval was one of the top 4 LoTRO servers, but i do not believe that is true any longer.  top 10, but not top 4.

and as far as "Lonely Mountain Band" is concerned...  they got my vote last year on guild launches "Dragon Slayer Awards."  that didn't happen this year.

Does anyone have figures for /world channel, as this would be everyone online wouldn't it ?

PJ

world channel can be opted out of.

so even having a number, would still not be definitive "beyond all questioning."  and believe you, me...  that small discrepancy, would be enough that apologists would roll a fleet of wheelbarrows through.

all we can have is reasonable conclusions.

take the server tally utilizing the search function in game (which doesn't include users flagged "anonymous.")  then cross reference that with the log in data mined directly from the LoTRO client & recorded on many sites like this one: http://lux-hdro.de/hdro-live.php

you can get a realistic picture of how many people are on a given server.  not exact to the person, but a reasonable conclusion & number that is close enough to the actual correct number.

Really all the old features needed was some tweaking.  Instead they were removed...

... I suspect they decided to nix that when a PC member got called out on the forums and had a screenshot of his toon linked/displayed.   If that was why it was eliminated, that's too bad....

actually, all those additional features, ran on third party software like WordPress.com.

every time a new iteration of one of those pieces of software received an upgrade, Turbine had no one to apply the patch to the official Forums.  which is why so many features would stop working.

so rather than extract additional funds from an already shrinking budget, to pay someone to patch upgrades, they scrapped the old forums & all those additional features altogether.

tis why the lotteries were never fixed & why the current official forums security certificates are still invalid. (DDO & Ashrons Call as well.)

Rick Heaton lacked the technical depth to accomplish the task.

& whilst Frelorn may be up to the task, he is not functionally dedicated to LoTRO solely, but does many jobs within Turbine, including what he still does for Infinite Crisis.

all Turbines legacy games have the exact same forum issues.  only Infinite Crisis, which is paired up with the larger Warner network, is upgraded & functions with the current web.