LOTROCommunity

Does anyone give a stuff anymore?

smehcoons

I'm just wondering - do many actually care about LOTRO anymore?

I beleive a lot of people were like myself in piling on critisism due to the poor direction that the game was heading - this was because we loved the game, and wanted to see the ship righted. 

Now - I have no hope that the game will improve, and its clear to me that its only a matter of time before the plug is pulled. 

The only interest I have in the game now is watching it sink.  While that is slightly ammusing in an "I-told-you-so" kind of way, I otherwise have no feelings towards the game.  I can't even get excited about seeing the new area's - the areas that I once couldn't wait to get to.  Gondor, Mordor... and beyond.  I just know that the quality of the content will feel lacking and shallow. 

The LOTRO (of a few years ago) is still my benchmark for other MMO's, and sadly I don't believe any are as good as LOTRO was at one stage.  But for me, it is totally over. 

I beleive a lot of people were like myself in piling on critisism due to the poor direction that the game was heading - this was because we loved the game, and wanted to see the ship righted. 

Now - I have no hope that the game will improve, and its clear to me that its only a matter of time before the plug is pulled. 

The only interest I have in the game now is watching it sink.  While that is slightly ammusing in an "I-told-you-so" kind of way, I otherwise have no feelings towards the game.  I can't even get excited about seeing the new area's - the areas that I once couldn't wait to get to.  Gondor, Mordor... and beyond.  I just know that the quality of the content will feel lacking and shallow. 

That's how I feel. I reached  a point where I decided I was not going to play a game that was no longer going in a direction I liked. No housing update, Update 13 with its rep grind, poor content, trait points being awarded from Big Battles and the fact that Turbine are determined to keep adding more Big Battles was the final straw for me.

I am interested in the game because I used to love it, but I no longer care what happens, because, to me, the game is dead. I don't imagine I'll log in to the see the new areas, as they will be so disappointing. Didn't Aaron tell people to lower their expectation for Minas Tirth? Says it all really. No matter how much you love something, you can only lower your expectations and willingness to accept poor content so far, before you reach the point where you find it to be crap and not worthy of your time and money. 

The LOTRO (of a few years ago) is still my benchmark for other MMO's, and sadly I don't believe any are as good as LOTRO was at one stage.  But for me, it is totally over. 

That's what I have been doing and up until I started playing ESO this week, I found nothing that really grabbed me like LOTRO once did. I'm hoping ESO keeps me interested. 

My benchmark for rpg mmo or not was and still is the Baldurs Gate series nothing has ever come close to engaging me for so long a time as those games. As far as mmo's go my first was Star Wars Galaxies and that for me was the best mmo i have ever played. I have gone from a solid 8 hours+ a day on LOTRO to barely logging in once a week. Having rediscovered the jos of reading and other things.

Nope.  I am not even interested in watching it sink. I've reduced my reading & posting here recently because frankly discussing Lotro as much as I was doing it was a huge waste of time. I will move on much quicker and thus I won't discuss a failed game for so long again.

======================================

Whole mmorpg genre as far as I am considered is in a very sorry state.

@Helcawen

Yeah - Baldur's Gate series was grand.  Bioware never made anything again that was even close.

I also still regret that I've never really played SWG althrough I've heard it had many same/similar fundamental faults as UO had.

I haven't played the latest bit of content (U13).  I'll probably go through it someday, at least the epic.  I'll probably play through any new zones that come out one time.  I have a few thousand TP.  If the zones are available for TP i'll pick them up on a sale.  If they ever release a new expansion I won't pay more than 10 dollars.  I have enough time/money invested in this game to want to see it through.  That being said, I'd consider myself a spectator in the shit show Turbine has turned this game and community into (not this site's community).  The over-moderation is fun to watch, and the cycle of promises then back pedaling that Turbine does is quite entertaining.

edit: woot 100 posts

I haven't played the latest bit of content (U13).  I'll probably go through it someday, at least the epic.  I'll probably play through any new zones that come out one time.  I have a few thousand TP.  If the zones are available for TP i'll pick them up on a sale.  If they ever release a new expansion I won't pay more than 10 dollars.  I have enough time/money invested in this game to want to see it through.  That being said, I'd consider myself a spectator in the shit show Turbine has turned this game and community into (not this site's community).  The over-moderation is fun to watch, and the cycle of promises then back pedaling that Turbine does is quite entertaining.

edit: woot 100 posts

I have much the same attitude that you do.  I'll use my saved-up TP for the new content to see it but I'm not into grind for anything anymore, not bothering with my alts, not bothering with the forums other than what I hear about from people here.  I have fond memories but I've moved on.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll just let my stash of TP go to waste.

No desire at all to even reinstall the LOTRO client.

And to think of the time and energy I put in my main. Not bitter about it, I had a blast and have fond memories. It's just that it's so easy to leave behind without any regrets.

One of the old kin members sent me a message today asking if he could usurp the kin leadership.  Apparently there are 3 of them still playing and would like to continue the kin and invite one of their friends.

I quickly canvassed the other officers who all agreed for him to go ahead and usurp away.  None of us really have any interest at all in LOTRO anymore.  It would take a dramatic shift in the game for any of us to go back, and I know full well that the game doesn't have enough of a budget to push through big changes.

I would care but playing is too painful.

I do not have a character at max level, not even old max level, 85. In fact I do not recall right now what the highest level any of my characters has. I have many characters from when that sounded like a good idea, and frequently switched my main because of change. I don't have too much play time so changes to classes happen relatively often in gameplay time terms to me. The total number of levels I have is impressive.

Anyway, so every time I want to play one or more or all of the below happens:

• Large update. The only thing making this acceptable is that at least LOTRO allows you to update without logging in, so quite often I am up to date
  • Need to do BS reconfiguring of LIs
  • Need to adjust trees of some kind or another. Not that I ever fully adjusted to the skill trees and/or understand when I get new points to spend, or how I would be able to tell that I got more. As I mentioned elsewhere I find the investment game that I have to play with the skill points extremely unenjoyable, and I don't understand when I can re-invest and what it costs me
  • Bags are full and I forgot what is useful for what. If I'm not on my hunter, travel problems for this bookkeeping might apply
  • Some other wining for homework is going on such as house upkeep
  • And all that is before regular game code changes that might force more adjustments or homework before I can get going
First of all I HATE HOMEWORK. Fuck you if you force me to do bookkeeping.

After I'm through the above the evening I have reserved for playing is often gone.

In the unlikely event that I actually play I will go to my 50+ guard and try to get a group for The Rift, because I never experienced it, having joined the game after that instance was top level but before you could teleport, so people didn't want to ride out there. The result is crickets.

If I then go question I sometimes see the popups that I need to buy the area I am in, although I thought I religiously bought everything before HD. How many pieces did they split this into?

It is just a very, very negative game experience. If they would just leave the game alone with those changes that are useless and that nobody wants it would be so much better.

The answer to your question depends on who you ask and where you ask it.

I would surmise the response you will get here is somewhat predictable. You may get a more diverse selection of answers were you to put your question to a broader group of people, via some other social media platform. Feel free to do that if you see fit. I would be curious to see the results.

Well, I don't exactly hope the game will go down, but I do feel a sort of "I knew it'd happen" if they go down with their current setup of no raids, idiotic RNG-loot, ridiculous daily grinds and the massive lack of balance.

There's so many issues with the game now that I don't see them getting out of it, and places like Pelargir, Osgilliath and Minas Tirith can only dissappoint IMO.

There came a point when I realized that Lotro is, in fact, a threat to the sense of wonder I experience about Middle Earth. This is a huge admission to make for a die-hard Tolkien fan that I am.

What had made the early Shadows of Angmar content so engaging and (for a mmo noob like me) jaw-dropping is now dying of neglect, or even

being systematically eradicated (class changes, etc). Those old areas exist now only to serve as comparison to the sinking standards and talents of today. Those old areas are, moreover, entirely empty of players. The chat channels are dead. The AH is, mostly, dead. My entire friend list is dead. There was a time when I used to think that regardless of shoestring-budget travesties being promised in future updates, at least I have my favorite places in some old zones where I can go into full- RP mode (in my head at least, since there's no one left around to do it with, heh) and get some insights/inspiration about JRRT's writings. The utter silence and lack of server activity, however, pretty much killed that last remaining merit Lotro had for me. I no longer see Middle Earth when I log in. I see a poorly managed dying game in its last breaths. 

As to whether I give a stuff anymore, having invested as much time and creative energy into it as I have, in a way both yes and no. I will keep closely following the discussions about it on this forum: the critical angles and varied perspectives found here are good food for thought. I will not keep advancing my main character (something I'd never thought I'd say even a few months ago) and I do not care to play a tourist in a theme park, so what has not been seen yet will remain unseen and only imagined. I will make one exception though: if there is ever an addition of Mithlond, I may log in to see it. Only to find out that it's pay-gated behind HD in its own minimap miniregion, very likely.

All in all, the decline and demise of a game I once loved has done a share of good. The less I've been playing, the more I've been reading. Lotro, when I still found it worthwhile, prompted me to dig deeper into Tolkien's "History of Middle Earth" series, and questing through Forochel provided a great platform and excuse to research Finnish folklore. Playing this game has made me write again for the first time in ten years, and take up learning a musical instrument again for the first time in twenty. So regardless of current mismanagement, I'm glad it was around when it was around. When it will be run into the ground I will not mourn its loss, because all that remains of it is an empty husk. 

• Upvote 1

I really think that Turbine catches LOTRO between a hammer and an amboss.

1) on one hand, there are many overdue changes that are needed to satisfy those who still play significant amounts, especially around balance, challenge and loot

2) on the other hand, the high rate of changes and the high rate of "homework" that casual players like me have to do hurt the game from the other side.

That sounds like Turbine is in a no-win situation, but that isn't the case. All the changes and various choice or investment invalidations that annoy the casual game are those changes that the first group does want. Changes to make the first group happy would for the most part not bother the second one.

So, in summary it isn't that LOTRO has too many changes or too few. The problem is that the changes are not what the players want, and that they are disruptive on top of that.

I keep misreading the title as "Does anyone give stuff anymore?" to which I'd have a couple short responses, but oh....

The Turbine Metagame was wearing me down before the class revamp news. Bigger and more UI buttons pointing to the store, new game content and mechanics clearly designed to be monetized in the store (e.g. mounted combat). Ugh.

I switched to Rift early 2013 (christ, has it really been that long already) as soon as I heard about the coming class tree changes, though I kept my LotRO account active until later in the summer, then fully "exited" a couple months before Helm's Deep because I knew things wouldn't get better. Though I didn't delete my toons like some people did. Rift pales in comparison per the writing, but most of the game mechanics are so much better for a real playable MMO, like more interesting class tree hybridization. Even when Rift turned F2P, the UI was definitely not as Las Vegas Annoying as LotRO's UI hooked into the store---exactly one button to reach the store, and it's down in the lower left corner and doesn't blink at you.

I'm waiting for Pillars of Eternity for my immersive story-play fix (which I expect to fall between Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment, the latter of which is still the best SP CRPG ever). Otherwise, not much else on the horizon for me.

Would I ever go back to LotRO? I cannot see the state of things ever improving substantively (that means the "game" part including mechanics and systems, not merely quest text)---I would have logged in strictly to see the epic quests, but since they've become gated behind the bullshit that is Big Battles, that will never happen now. So I left LotRO before HD, to keep my good memories intact and to mourn it properly, but now I don't really care what happens to it except, like some, to watch it circle the drain with some morbid curiosity.

• Upvote 2

Nah. All the old ties that kept me going back to the game are by and large gone. Only the kin I'm in with my main is the last remnant of what made it special.

Anyhow, looking forward and not back & all that. Boy was there a buzz on the Wildstar EU RP-PVE server - LightSpire. The zone channels were alive with lots of good discussions, people asking questions and getting sensible answers, grouping up for quests and mini-bosses and a total absence of any trolling or idiot behaviour.

Almost felt like it was SOA once again. 

Even had some chats with ex and current lotro players - all agreed that it's gone downhill rapidly with HD. 

I might go back and try to see some areas that I never visited - even older places. But the thought of the LI grind, resetting my LIs, and other bad unfun mechanics of the game keep stopping me from logging in.

What Turbine has done by not steadily improving the game is the biggest loss to MMO players possible. It could have been a great game.

After watching the video of Paiz claiming you can make players angry with pay-to-win and they'll stick around anyways I decided that I didn't hate myself enough to make further contributions to that sort of laziness.   The game still has merit but Turbine has been so overtly offensive that I cannot play their offerings and respect myself.

The disrespect is evident is so much of what they do - the ridiculous amount of grinding, the PvP imbalance, the crappy updates.  It is a systemic problem with Turbine and they really need to dissolve.

Would any of you log in to be there for the last minutes of the game at the end (when they do finally shut it down)?

(Assuming Turbine would give proper advance notice, of course.)

No, because logging in would truly erase my captain former main in that the system would kick in and throw popups in my face about the class tree and whatever. Instead, I like to think that she's tending to her kinhouse's gardens, in that Happy Place of virtual limbo.

(Edit to clarify: Even though the game would be ending right then as well, basically I'd rather believe that my playtime and raised characters were never tainted by the HD era.)

I considered offering my Lifetime account to any kinmate who wanted it during RoI which is where the rot well and truely began for me. I'd still be willing to do that although I think about the only people left from my old kin are a few serious JRR fans who've got lifetime anyway. Honestly I can't see myself ever playing again to any extent and my only real interest in Lotro is a morbid one seeing how long it continues to limp on as others have said. I mainly only come on this site now for the "Other MMO's" section.

I mainly only come on this site now for the "Other MMO's" section.

CSTM changed their name to Casual Stroll Through MMOs. What can LOTRO Community be? Hmmm.

L

O

T

R

O

.....Man, that's an awkward set of letters!