LOTROCommunity

Merge the Servers. Good Grief!

RabbitBlood

Merge the damn servers you prentious imbeciles at Turbine. 

At this point, with all the database issues they have had over the years, I don't think Turbine is capable of merging the servers. Even if they were, it would be taken as tacit admission that the game population is falling, and hasten the game's demise.

No, Turbine has chosen to take the "head in the sand" approach to managing their game: If they can't see there's a problem, then it obviously isn't there.

Yeah, what people do in the free time in private is fine. But most of this isn't in private. A person is entirely free to put a pancake on their head and dance about singing 'I am the queen of flat-desserts', but if they do it in public I'm going to mock them for it.

I'm giving you only one warning - stop spying on me.

I'm a little dismayed seeing how certain players over on the OF (Nymphonic for example) are quite content playing on a low population server, and are adamantly against merging.

That's why I think they will probably never merge the servers. What's the point when most are solo players and many either like it that way or resent the fact that there are others in the game. And like Mmo, says by merging, they would be admitting there is a problem, something Turbine doesn't like doing.

P.S. I should add I don't resent RPers, would never tell them they are not allowed to RP in appropriate places, nor do I  judge them. I think they have just as much entitlement in game as anyone else.

They just freak me out and their behaviour often makes me laugh.  I have no control over that, just like I have no control over being freaked out by mushrooms. No offence was ever intended. I was trying to make a point that people can find RP weird and hilarious and that it is a natural, uncontrollable response, which is a lot different than actively going out of your way to ridicule .

Some things just make you laugh, like when someone farts, and no matter how hard you try not to laugh to save the person more embarrassment, you can't stop yourself.

Some things just make you uncomfortable and you have no control over it. You do however have control when you actively go out of your way to ridicule.  There is a difference and people shouldn't be told their natural feelings are wrong if they are not judging or ridiculing others.

... just like I have no control over being freaked out by mushrooms.

Those delicious little bastards. Sitting there, neither plant nor animal... ready to hide amongst a spag bol or sit on an unsuspecting pizza. They're plotting our downfall, mark my words!

Those delicious little bastards. Sitting there, neither plant nor animal... ready to hide amongst a spag bol or sit on an unsuspecting pizza. They're plotting our downfall, mark my words!

Exactly! I imagine waking up in the night with them growing on me ... eugh! They give me the shivers. 

Exactly! I imagine waking up in the night with them growing on me ... eugh! They give me the shivers. 

Okay, now that is freaky. Don't play 'The Last of Us'.

Sort of reminds me of that trypophobia, with all those photoshopped images of skin with holes in it. Gives me goosebumps.

That's why I think they will probably never merge the servers. What's the point when most are solo players and many either like it that way or resent the fact that there are others in the game. And like Mmo, says by merging, they would be admitting there is a problem, something Turbine doesn't like doing.

Even with most players being solo, doing so in an MMO is painful when your server is dead.  A few points I made over in the Random sampling thread that have equally a bad effect if you group or solo:

1.  Empty Auction houses and no way to sell items

2.  Class quest items only attainable through long grinds of skirming

3.  Getting the 2 extra trait points through group EB's

4.   Not being able to form your own kin

5.  Not being able to get a kin house due to not reaching rank (too few players)

6.  Having to roll 4 toons in order to craft the things you need (due to lack of other crafters)

Games solely designed for single player have less grindy mechanics that do not require interaction with other players.  Trying to survive in an MMO on a dead server is quite painful.

Just last night on Elendilmir  I logged into my level 55 guardian who is trying to get guild rep items.  Last time I logged in (around U13 release)  I was able to get some mats off the AH to make the less than supreme level rep items.  Last night there was not enough ore/ingots to craft more than 2 guild rep items.  (medium Master, large Master)  Almost no artisan or expert ore. 

As I said in the random sampling thread getting the class items for the level 50 class quests was a grind.  Imagine how it is for players who can't solo T3, 3 man skirms!

At this point, with all the database issues they have had over the years, I don't think Turbine is capable of merging the servers. Even if they were, it would be taken as tacit admission that the game population is falling, and hasten the game's demise.

No, Turbine has chosen to take the "head in the sand" approach to managing their game: If they can't see there's a problem, then it obviously isn't there.

They did it with DDO the only difference is now they are too cheap to spend the money.

Not admitting the failure is just going to make more people leave as well.   How many remaining players though would benefit from a merger?  All of them. 

What's going to lose more players?   Admitting that the game is having trouble keeping players (due to dead servers) or just letting the remaining players on a server die off?  At this point they could possibly save more than a thousand players by merging the low pop servers.  There are people who still enjoy the game but if they keep running into the roadblocks like the ones I described above, how long you think they're staying?  There are enough people complaining now about dead servers that the players left should be wary.  Turbine doesn't have to admit failure as any player who doesn't see the problem with population drop, is living under a rock, is defending turbine for the sake of defending them or just don't care either way. 

While I think it would be difficult and cost some money to do a merg, I don't think game systems are stopping them.

It's the money they will make on paid transfers for the people who are just fed up with their servers "deadness".  Hence why they removed the TP option to transfer.  They expected a lot of them.  And by the time they stop getting revenue on those it will be too late.  Who is going to spend 25$ per toon (in some cases this mean over 100$ to some players) to move to another server on a game which is dying?

Turbine math

Losing players due not improving play experience = profit

I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think they can merge the servers, and even if they could, they wouldn't because they would be admitting failure. They'd much rather have 10 people on 20 servers than 200 people on one server.

On a side note, I checked out Update 14 on Bullroarer and it's not even worth my time.

Sad...I used to look forward to updates. :(

I don't think they can merge the servers, and even if they could, they wouldn't because they would be admitting failure. They'd much rather have 10 people on 20 servers than 200 people on one server.

certainly makes things easier, when it comes time to mothball the game.  why add the expense, if the outcome is inevitable.

and having less targets for new players  hoodwinked into trying the game out...  who cares right?  28 choices, and most of them don't even qualify as what would be considered small, by even 2007 standards, when this game launched.

contrary to what mouth-breathers like Nymphonic say about games that are still online...  all those games took steps to address the natural life cycle of an older game.  Ultima Online is indeed still up and running...  on one server.  ONE SERVER!

and that is the case with most of the games from that era that managed to maintain an online presence.  the rest shut down.  & LoTRO looks squarely to be in the latter category.

but LoTRO needing 28 servers for it's current population...  it is laughable.

With the layering system in place, even merging all servers into a single one could easily take care of the "problem" Nymphonic (and others) would get. Adding a slider for people to choose how populated layer they want to be in wouldn't all that hard

Solo Expierince |---------------[]-------------| MMO

certainly makes things easier, when it comes time to mothball the game.  why add the expense, if the outcome is inevitable.

and having less targets for new players  hoodwinked into trying the game out...  who cares right?  28 choices, and most of them don't even qualify as what would be considered small, by even 2007 standards, when this game launched.

contrary to what mouth-breathers like Nymphonic say about games that are still online...  all those games took steps to address the natural life cycle of an older game.  Ultima Online is indeed still up and running...  on one server.  ONE SERVER!

and that is the case with most of the games from that era that managed to maintain an online presence.  the rest shut down.  & LoTRO looks squarely to be in the latter category.

but LoTRO needing 28 servers for it's current population...  it is laughable.

I think that's the crux of the problem there: too arrogant to admit there's nowhere near enough people playing now to support 28 servers. Numbers will drop and all that will be left will be players like Nympho putzing around on a dead world. Guess there'll be no need to go /anon then, huh? LOTRO derserves better than to be left to....(I hate to call them casual players, because that would be an insult to real casual players)....mushrooms like him and the heydts.

Thanks to Mallorn for the inspiration:P

Seeing as this was my first experience at Weatherstock, I can see why it used to be more popular in the past. Hell, even back when I was on WoW, people there mentioned it!

Would I go again next year? Naw. Once was enough and my curiousity was sated.

Still doesn't beat the time I shook Ozzy Osbourne's hand at Ozzfest '05 :*)

Can anyone tell me if turbine was ever official involved in Weatherstock in the past or are they just latching themselves to it now?

The music system in the game is a fun distraction from just grinding everywhere. 

We used to have an actual band no ABC sheeters who provided music in WOW.  Sadly I just remembered this.    This is what happens when the developer really cares  :Y about the game.  Some Blizzard employees got together and here was the finally product.  While it wasn't a player generated thing the music is pretty decent and the videos are funny as hell.

This may bring back some memories.  Ladies and gentlemen the L10 L60 L70 L80 L90 Elite Tauren Chieftains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOpdyytB3OY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3TVkxaJ5Y8

Unlike these kinds though, real mushrooms tend to enjoy grouping ;)

387920-20animated_gif20chuck_norris20dod

I think that's the crux of the problem there: too arrogant to admit there's nowhere near enough people playing now to support 28 servers. Numbers will drop and all that will be left will be players like Nympho putzing around on a dead world. Guess there'll be no need to go /anon then, huh? LOTRO derserves better than to be left to....(I hate to call them casual players, because that would be an insult to real casual players)....mushrooms like him and the heydts.

Casual players but not casual forum goers.  Unless over 15k posts is casual. 

Not sure I get the mushroom analogy.  Was it something I used to elude to the past about the way Kate Paiz treated the players?

Feeding them shit and keeping them in the dark?

Clearly though there is some backwards evolution going on with the games player base.

picture-39.png

Perhaps arrogance, but I also think the very vocal "I like my server as it is right now" are influencing this decision heavily.

It's like watching an game developer version of Kitchen Nightmares ("the current customers love the food so we wont change") - except we don't have a Gordon Ramsay in there to shout and swear at them :P

• Upvote 1

Not sure I get the mushroom analogy.  Was it something I used to elude to the past about the way Kate Paiz treated the players?

Feeding them shit and keeping them in the dark?

Naw. I was trying to think of a word to describe players like Nympho and the heydts and I saw Mallorn mentioned mushrooms in an earlier post, so inspiration struck.

Thinking about it, I don't think those players even qualify as "casual players" at all. Looking at Nympho's past posts, I can deduce that he isn't a raider or a PvMPer, since he admits he likes to play solo and is quite content with less people on his server. He's definitely not an RPer. Plus, he doesn't seem to have an opinon over high lvl or end game content. I don't even know what class he plays. His responses are so milquetoast that its like he's doesn't have an opinion. Oh sure, he might say he agrees or disagrees, but he doesn't offer any type of rebuttal or counterpoint. So yes, he's a mushroom. Just finds a spot to sit ingame and then....nothing. A lonely little mushroom on a dying server.

The heydts at least seem like they play the game.....sorta. I assume they just duo content together. At least stuff they find easy.

Your analogy also fits. Perhaps all too well.

Perhaps arrogance, but I also think the very vocal "I like my server as it is right now" are influencing this decision heavily.

It's like watching an game developer version of Kitchen Nightmares ("the current customers love the food so we wont change") - except we don't have a Gordon Ramsay in there to shout and swear at them :P

I just had a vision of Gordon calling the developers "cows" and "donkeys"

I actually think that's backwards: Assuming WB-Turbine was not expecting the Helm's Deep expansion to be so shitty and turn off as many players as it did (seriously, why revamp classes at that point), the "but we like it the way it is now" vocal minority on the OF can be publicly and retroactively leveraged as the reason for things being the way they are now in such a way that WB-Turbine can say "See, we do listen to our players!"

Or something. :P

More practically, I think there must be technical reasons with poor ROI, though.

I actually think that's backwards: Assuming WB-Turbine was not expecting the Helm's Deep expansion to be so shitty and turn off as many players as it did (seriously, why revamp classes at that point),[...]

To keep the devs on payroll.

(which didn't work out great for them)

Naw. I was trying to think of a word to describe players like Nympho and the heydts and I saw Mallorn mentioned mushrooms in an earlier post, so inspiration struck.

Thinking about it, I don't think those players even qualify as "casual players" at all. Looking at Nympho's past posts, I can deduce that he isn't a raider or a PvMPer, since he admits he likes to play solo and is quite content with less people on his server. He's definitely not an RPer. Plus, he doesn't seem to have an opinon over high lvl or end game content. I don't even know what class he plays. His responses are so milquetoast that its like he's doesn't have an opinion. Oh sure, he might say he agrees or disagrees, but he doesn't offer any type of rebuttal or counterpoint. So yes, he's a mushroom. Just finds a spot to sit ingame and then....nothing. A lonely little mushroom on a dying server.

The heydts at least seem like they play the game.....sorta. I assume they just duo content together. At least stuff they find easy.

Your analogy also fits. Perhaps all too well.

I just had a vision of Gordon calling the developers "cows" and "donkeys"

I have read enough of Nymphs posts to know his formula.

Hop on main  toon level it to cap.

Pick an alt level it to cap.

Pick another alt level it to cap.   (until he runs out of alts)

When all are at cap start a new toon.

Recently he even admitted to abandoning his main toon at the last epic quest (inside HD)

He doesn't do filler content until the cap raises.  ie:  Great River Enedwaith

Therefore he start xpacs 3 or 4 levels above previous cap.

So Altaholic who doesn't believe in endgame?  Maybe that is the most suiting.

From what I can tell he plays a Guardian, LM, mini and burg.  Not sure past that probably a hunter.    His main is a Guardian which he has admitted to never tanking with.    Pretty sure all are hobbits aside from the LM.

As for the Heydts.  Forum policers best describes their playstyle.   I never see them make any points about the gameplay other than telling others they are wrong and basically disagreeing with anyone who even slightly plays differently.  I'm pretty sure WHH is attempting to set the guiness book of world records for most hunters rolled.  Not sure why he needs 7 on the same server ans 2 on another.  I heard recently he rolled a warden.  I got 20 bucks says he has no clue how to play the class.