LOTROCommunity

Have the waters between Warner & Turbine finally become tepid? RE: Infinite Crisis @ E3

LasraelLarson

soo...  Warner is at E3 this year.

I see them flogging:

* Shadows of Mordor

* Batman Arkham Knight

* Mortal Combat X

* Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

* Dying Light

& sadly they are also connected too, and flogging

* The Witcher 3

whilst Warners name is on the following Title, they are also letting the Studio Kabam flog

* The Hobbit Kingdoms of Middle Earth

all the above at E3.

now unless I am missing something...  Infinite Crisis is not in that line up.

no typical marketing buzz or mention on Infinite Crisis Facebook or Twitter, or the official Infinite Crisis Forums.

oddly, i read a post by Celestrata (about a month ago) saying they had something planned, but mysteriously, i can no longer find that post...

Infinite Crisis seems to have cloaked their presence at this years E3.  it is as if they aren't even there...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrNBxHA_SavRrD-PrEek2AQ

so is this the beginning of a new marketing approach for the title?

or has Warner finally closed the purse?

can anyone else find any sign of their presence at this years E3?  because i can't.

ominous.

Google fails me on this, as the last news it lists of Infinite Crisis regarding E3 was for 2013. I found this thread on the official IC forums, but it only speculates, although there is mention there that Celestrata did say Turbine would be doing something for E3. It's third-hand knowledge though, nothing official.

Sounds like Turbine is the odd-man out this year. All of their MMOs are F2P and failing, and their only other product is in perpetual beta status, and not even being touted by WB anymore.

Google fails me on this, as the last news it lists of Infinite Crisis regarding E3 was for 2013. I found this thread on the official IC forums, but it only speculates, although there is mention there that Celestrata did say Turbine would be doing something for E3. It's third-hand knowledge though, nothing official.

Sounds like Turbine is the odd-man out this year. All of their MMOs are F2P and failing, and their only other product is in perpetual beta status, and not even being touted by WB anymore.

ah, that may be the post that has me thinking Celestrata had mentioned plans...  fair enough.

i also notice the Twitch TV funds are gone.

no more promotions via the twitch promoted channel features.  the channel even fails to que in the top games list (whilst well down on that list) seeded by the number of viewers.

so perhaps this is a new, leaner approach, or perhaps things have gone cold with this title and Warner has lost interest as it didn't perform as they'd hoped.

if the latter...  well i guess well see another shrinkage in staff at Turbine in the very near future.

i wonder when the contracts with MLG and ESL expire?

as far as paid tournaments, the thousand dollar ones for pro teams also seem to have halted.

now they are doing weekly hundred dollar tournaments with regular Joe players.

even the prize pools have shrunk.

i still can't help but wonder if this is Turbine near the end of Warners rope, or they've opted for a new direction?

because something has changed post PAX east.  & that expo, Warner spent a mint.

if the rope has run out,  shouldn't be to much longer before confirmation of that hits the press.

if it is a new direction, more long term, no big expenditures, let the current product fund itself...  Turbine eating a bit of humble crow...  i'm watching for a shift in forward facing presentation, that is some kind of acknowledgement of thus.  so far, it seems like Turbine still prefers pretense.

anyway, i think this is significant developments.

i will however, understand, if this bores the rest of you.

but from my view, it looks like the point were Warner has had enough...  well it seems we may be there.

It doesn't bore me, I'm interested in this too.

About a week or so ago, (maybe more, don't remember for sure), Massively had a post about a new playable entity in IC (it was a Red something - not familiar with the comics, sorry), and it only managed to attract two commenters after several hours, both with negative things to say.

I wonder how Turbine will handle this - if there will be spin on the obvious failure, or if it just gets swept under the rug and never spoken of again.

so anyone follow the DreamHack coverage?  (i did)

still a day left in the expo, but it is mostly over for Infinite Crisis.  Warner/Turbine managed to give away another $13,000 (some to amateur teams) in Tourney Prize Money, plus the additional costs of staffing and setting up over in the EU.  this was a much smaller set-up than what was at PAXEast... MUCH smaller.  but the added cost of being off continent, plus all additional fees for floor space (it wasn't prime) hotels, flights, etc.

of interesting note, they did utilize Twitch TV promotion for views, but they targeted the home(/front)page, rather than areas that would attract more "dedicated" viewers.

whilst all the promotional features lined up, the best they managed was just over 2000 concurrent viewers.  & that would drop if Infinite Crisis cycled out of the front page hit (as there are other titles vying for that attention spot.)  the consistent signal was closer to 1300 viewers & of that number, less than 300 bothered to log in and participate in chat at any given time.

so IMO a weak showing.

it is doubtful this will give them any significant new EU base from which to add players to their servers.

money out & little, to no, new money in.

title continues to languish.

face time with Leo Tan on DC Entertainment channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPi2heRO8Z8

not E3, but still an effort to tie in the comic franchise audience with the game...  doesn't have the heat of a Lego Title. 

anyway, sharing in case anyone wants to see Turbines Communication Manager pimp IC.

I really want WB to pour their cruelty, their malice, and their will to ruin all intellectual property they touch into smacking Turbine down hard.

Turbine seem to try hard to oblige. Now they have fatfingered the thing that they diverted their LOTRO income to, ruining both. Good riddance. Put them out of their misery, WB.

I really want WB to pour their cruelty, their malice, and their will to ruin all intellectual property they touch into smacking Turbine down hard.

Turbine seem to try hard to oblige. Now they have fatfingered the thing that they diverted their LOTRO income to, ruining both. Good riddance. Put them out of their misery, WB.

well now that they have that target 32 champs...  perhaps this property can be transferred away?

i think this long rope that has been extended to Turbine, is due to the over arching franchise of DC (& specifically this Infinite Crisis retcon of the comics.)  for no other reason than this, this title may continue.

but i do think, that initial pumping of big promotional dollars is over.  no E3 presence was the first signs that the gravy train is dry.  if this title stays under Turbines roof, it will be self funding from here on out.

i would love to get access to the length of time outlined in the terms of the contract with MLG & ESL as knowing when that winds up would give me a better timeline to work with.

Warner could also transfer it away to another company under the umbrella, but it is just as likely they let it limp along on the fringe...  much like they have with Gaurdians of Middle Earth.

• 2 weeks later...

from bad, to worse...

I must add that it doesn't feel like there is a concerted effort to gain new players unless the referral system was it.

I'm not sure the egos help much but I do know that it feels like I may have joined the game at the wrong time. It feels between dying or growing and 'm spending my life playing against bots getting nowhere because the queue times are overboard. So a new player, who really wants to play but can't.

A lot of problems seem to come back to support (ranked, competition, twitch etc.) but there seems to be no growth. I'm no doomsayer so I'm not interested in, "the game is dying" comments but I feel like IC is a game that for me at least, needs to be put back on the shelf until there's better interest. I don't enjoy waiting around most of my time for a match to be found. Either way, there are some good points here even if the egowars are becoming a bit toxic. (It is funny that the people saying how everything sucks are generally the same people swearing at new players and that those who try be constructive here are the ones being constructive in game...to a point.)

In terms of marketing, it is good to have a face of IC (celebrity) but the way to have that is to have people who will watch them. New Players are worth way more than one pro person. IC needs to be able to be played first and foremost and the way the queues are now is not helping create that. I feel so sorry for Streamers who have to sit there and wait while their viewers try entertain themselves while waiting for a match, and then the match is a problem for whatever reason.

as with the poster above, the positive are fighting hard to frame this in the best light, in spite of the undeniable woes plaguing this game.

then there are those who've just had enough.

This game will never get better.  Turbine's server sucks and a large number of players continue to experience input delays and lag. There are a number of changes that have taken them far too long to implement. New players to this game actually troll veterans and then continue to feed all game long. A better tutorial is a MUST. Better matchmaking is a MUST. I'm tired of being placed on a team with players so new that they don't even know that they need to buy items.

This game has SO MUCH potential and Turbine/WB is WASTING it.

so what is Turbine gonna try next?

has Galvagni got something in the works for mobile phones?

the PC seems to have passed beyond Turbines current capabilities.

Turbine, Inc. seeks a Software Engineer for its Needham, MA development studio to develop new products for mobile and tablet platforms. 
You will be working with a mid-size team of developers to create new products for iconic Warner Bros. intellectual properties.

If license and lawsuit battle with Tolkien estate was not an issue, I could almost see them selling Lotro as a mobile app (with a $tore plugin of cour$e) after servers are pulled offline and the "story" is "complete". They have sure dumbed it down enough for it to be hypothetically feasible.

Or, in typical Turbine fashion of implementing a half-assed system only to abandon it and turn attention to implementing a newer half-assed system... No sooner is the half-baked Infinite Crisis out the door that they're already "branching out" into mobile platforms. Seems like the store sales of Lotro and soon the store sales of IC are funding the development cost of this "new direction."

Turbine, Inc. is a premier creator and operator of massive, persistent online worlds that foster powerful social gaming communities.

_O-

The store and requirement to pay to play is all set up. They just don't want to officially "release" it in the bad state it is in right now. Someone was probably dreaming they could solve the lag problems - then they would "release" it.

Maybe this will explain it. 

https://www.infinitecrisis.com/forums/showthread.php?13775-Are-we-ever-going-to-get-any-word-on-this-game

The forums are so dead over there it's one guy responding to his own posts at the beginning.  But it was allowed to go on for 12 pages.  Surprising considering Turbine runs that forum.

All IC ever had going for it (arguably) was the license.... Turbine (really WB) was far too late to market with a game that offered zero innervation, bad net-coding, and was essentially just a poor re-skin of games that played so much better than their pitiful effort.... This game is little more than shovelware and it is sad that the company who gave us SoA and MoM are reduced to such a joke of a developer... I bet the serious players in the MOBA business are laughing hard at Infinite Crisis... It has got EXACTLY what it deserves.

I really take pleasure in Turbine's failure....  I feel sorry for the Turbine employees who will lose their job but they must have known sooner than us how 'rotten to the core' Turbine has become.... Anyone with any degree of talent would have jumped ship ages ago (sometimes difficult if you have an established family in the area but gotta see the bigger picture).

I wonder if/when WB will shut Turbine down 

I don't think that game will ever release. Just take a look at their forums, it's so sad...

Replace "IC" with "Lotro" and much of this thread could have been lifted straight off of OF Lotro forums:

https://www.infinitecrisis.com/forums/showthread.php?13775-Are-we-ever-going-to-get-any-word-on-this-game

I don't envy IC forums' community manager, but looking at the words in his last post in that locked thread shows he is clearly capable of dealing with customers. Quite a contrast.