LOTROCommunity

U14 Beta

Spiteful

It seems to me it's far too early for that to be happening. It hasn't even been a year since the last level increase, no?

What's completely perplexing is that they planned 2 level raises this year on top of HD's, right? Though I think Turbine is backpedaling on that point.

What's completely perplexing is that they planned 2 level raises this year on top of HD's, right? Though I think Turbine is backpedaling on that point.

They are indeed. In the last Dev Chat they said that subject to player feedback they may defer the second 5 level increase to cap.

They are indeed. In the last Dev Chat they said that subject to player feedback they may defer the second 5 level increase to cap.

And as we've seen, Turbine will use "player feedback" to justify anything they decide to do, or not do, whether that feedback actually exists or not.

• Upvote 1

The Essesnces cover like 17 Stats from Vit. etc. to Inc. Healing. Todays Dev Chat made it sound like you can stack multiple Essences of the same type on a gear piece. They also come in 3 Rarities that are known, yellow/purple/teal, I imagine golds will be added at some point.

Not sure yet, haven't gotten a scroll.

In the recent developer chat they have talked about Essence Removal Scrolls, which will be winable in game the same way Relic Removal scrolls were and just as rare.  Which means if you want one get ready to spend some TP.   Jesus apparently everything added to the game must have an in store component.

LOTRO-Update-14-Build-1-Western-Gondor-2

Runaway, it's the Corsairs of Umbar and they have no fashion sense or dignity...

I've posted a gallery of 66 screenshots and a few thoughts on the region here.

Looks familiar, but atleast different from the Kenny Loggins/Kenny Rogers look a likes we have had in the past.

loggins_2.jpg

MTIwNjA4NjMzOTU4MzM2MDEy.jpg

hillmen-duvardain-2.jpg

hillmen-4.jpg

200px-Stalwart_Dunlending.jpg

The Dwarf faces everywhere.  It's the same overkill like all the same horse statues all over freaking Edoras.

Exactly!  It's ridiculous how many faces and towers and bird-wing things they've stuck all over the place.

A lighter touch with the decorative details would make it look a lot better.  

I haven't logged on in over a month and do not intend to even after U14.

Just from reading here it sounds like a decent zone albeit sorely lacking in end game.

A lot of the negativity doesn't seem justified to me at this point.

Another step towards Gondor and Mordor... who knows perhaps Aaron Campbell will lead LOTRO there one day... perhaps limping and without me in the fellowship but they might just get there.

Just from reading here it sounds like a decent zone albeit sorely lacking in end game.

A lot of the negativity doesn't seem justified to me at this point.

No it doesn't.  But on a side note I will be representing Kenny Loggins in the class action suit against using his 1984 likeness, over and over and over.  I think we have a strong case.  LOL

You have to understand it's hard to not be negative about some of this stuff.   They have even found a way to monetize armor (something they said they would not do).   Even if they don't sell escences in the store they have already confirmed a removal scroll.  (that will be as rare as relic removal and sold in the store)  It appears the gear comes with empty slots that you have to fill.  Taking out one in a peice of gear is either going to take grinding or a store purchase.  Imagine getting purple gear to start.  Then when you get the cyan upgrade...bamm.  You need 4 removal scrolls.  When you get gold gear....bamm.  With them already requiring a VIP with this update, they'll suck whatever dollar remains from the players. 

We had a system like this in WOW with gems that could be slotted.  It's a very good idea, but late.   The saddest part was the need to monetize it but Turbine fould a way.  They have done it with content reward (EB's/traitpoint gate).  They have done it with bag space,  Mounted Combat, class trait trees.   Which leads me to my next question what part of the game is sacred to making micro transactions a part of them?

The zones look ok enough for players into the story.  Even if most of it is cut and paste.  It's the evil intention I always look to.  Will players be fetching water and cleaning latrines again?  We wouldn't even have to answer these questions if we weren't "treated" to the last xpac.

I still believe everything you see in this update/mini xpac is somethign that was developed by the staff they laid off long ago.  Quality of life changes may come but the bulk of the content was from the last team that gave you Helm's Deep, and the producer everyone used to  love (Kate).  You can tell her trademark is there with everything getting a mithril coin/TP cost (or cost to lessen a horrible grind). 

Here's what I see when I have played recently.

hobbit_presents_thumb.jpg

The blue symbol is emblazzoned in my mind.

Yes this post is for comedic effect.

I kind of agree with fitty, looks like a decent sized "free" update for once. I shan't bother testing it on Bullroarer but I will definitely re-sub, run one character through it and then cancel again after a month... Perhaps that is LotROs model now, make money from re-subs for single updates.

I kind of agree with fitty, looks like a decent sized "free" update for once. I shan't bother testing it on Bullroarer but I will definitely re-sub, run one character through it and then cancel again after a month... Perhaps that is LotROs model now, make money from re-subs for single updates.

That's actually not a bad idea. If they can come up with updates every few months, in the hopes of getting at least some players to return and perhaps sub, it would provide some modicum of regular income to the game. They might even be lucky and some of those players who sub will forget to un-subscribe, and Turbine will pick up another month or two of income for nothing.

That's actually not a bad idea. If they can come up with updates every few months, in the hopes of getting at least some players to return and perhaps sub, it would provide some modicum of regular income to the game. They might even be lucky and some of those players who sub will forget to un-subscribe, and Turbine will pick up another month or two of income for nothing.

It's a good idea but badly executed.  Even I'd come back for solo quests and story.  The quest they give you are outright terrible.  And what's the point of having new armor and LI's (raising cap) other than extracting money from players.  I would have paid 10$ as well to try the new content as that's what it's worth.  

Careful with that word free, some of us aren't lifetime subs.

I agree with Fitty too, but do understand that it is hard to not be negative about the game. Like Fitty I don't think I'll be logging in to try this; to me it is too little, too late, but I am pleasantly surprised that it seems to be quite a large update (for LOTRO).

I love the idea of the new armour gems. The monetisation aspect doesn't surprise me with Turbine's track record on that kind of thing; It's just the way they operate. 

To me the new armour gems seem like a way to distract people from the dwindling amount of actual landmass to explore and quests to complete, as well as a way to put more things in the store. 

Get people to focus on how/where to get the gems to drop, instead of how quickly they're being whisked through the story.  

I agree with Fitty too, but do understand that it is hard to not be negative about the game. Like Fitty I don't think I'll be logging in to try this; to me it is too little, too late, but I am pleasantly surprised that it seems to be quite a large update (for LOTRO).

I love the idea of the new armour gems. The monetisation aspect doesn't surprise me with Turbine's track record on that kind of thing; It's just the way they operate. 

I came back for HD to try, even though I knew it fell well short.  IF when you reach level cap the game feels meaningless and empty then what was the point of leveling?  Even single player games in every genre have endgame.  Dragon's Dogma had Everfall.   Dragon Age had DLC's.  Even Resident Evil has side games and different endings.  Dead ending a game by only offering scaled content doesn't cut it for the vet who have run the content 100's of times. 

It doesn't have to be traditonal instances (since that is not happening), it doesn't have to be Epic Battles, but it has to be some fun activity.  Players will fly to level 100 in less than a week and then what?  ROR had Hytbold, and while it wasn't great it was something.  Riding around in circles around the same 2 warbands isn't going to cut it. 

I will admit that there is an audience for solo content.  10$ is too much for a DLC that lasts 1 week. 

I came back for HD to try, even though I knew it fell well short.  IF when you reach level cap the game feels meaningless and empty then what was the point of leveling?  Even single player games in every genre have endgame.  Dragon's Dogma had Everfall.   Dragon Age had DLC's.  Even Resident Evil has side games and different endings.  Dead ending a game by only offering scaled content doesn't cut it for the vet who have run the content 100's of times. 

It doesn't have to be traditonal instances (since that is not happening), it doesn't have to be Epic Battles, but it has to be some fun activity.  Players will fly to level 100 in less than a week and then what?  ROR had Hytbold, and while it wasn't great it was something.  Riding around in circles around the same 2 warbands isn't going to cut it. 

I will admit that there is an audience for solo content.  10$ is too much for a DLC that lasts 1 week. 

I agree, hence why many of us no longer play. Turbine's idea of end game content is basically daily grinds and nothing is going to change about that.

Another step towards Gondor and Mordor... who knows perhaps Aaron Campbell will lead LOTRO there one day... perhaps limping and without me in the fellowship but they might just get there.

Well, in Turbine's mind they just gave you Gondor. That's what it is like for the first half.

I thought Gondor was splitted in 3 parts/ maybe even 4 parts, since the next new landmass, I guess U16, will have more of Gondor, but not Minas Tirith, and I can't imaging them skipping minas tirith

Yeah, what I am saying it won't look any more impressive.

I thought Gondor was splitted in 3 parts/ maybe even 4 parts, since the next new landmass, I guess U16, will have more of Gondor, but not Minas Tirith, and I can't imaging them skipping minas tirith

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if you wouldn't be able to get to Minas Tirith in the first place if you hadn't bought the expansion.