LOTROCommunity

U14 Beta

Spiteful

Maybe they'll build Minas Tirith as a zoomed-out faraway scene with little roving sprites, but no player can get near it, much less interact with the landscape around it.

You know what, that would not surprise me. Straight after Pelennor, they could make us wait outside with Aragorn before going to the Black Gate so that we never have 'need' to enter the city. After that it'd be the South Shire for the Scouring and then the Havens. Job done, game over.

I just want to say, it's a tad worrying that the beta forum is moving so slowly. It's even hard for the "I love the landscape" threads to get replies. And I think more people pay attention to the beta forum (when its public) to see what's changing and if its good or bad.

I've played the beta long enough to say most of the quests are boring. Search this house, kill 10 bears, meditate here etc. and I don't get the hype. Landscape is ok. Dol Amroth is Annuminas + Celondim.

When you finish the quests you come face to face with the reality. There is no replay value. Better take your alts to do same quests over and over to justify the money you've spent. There is no group content like in Great River so price is really expensive.

I heard it's gonna be at least 1600 tp. Great River was a great zone with lots of quests with a great 6 man for 795 tp. "Free for VIP" is a delusion lol. People who spend money to Lotro... Well, that's how Turbine is being rewarded for doing nothing but cheap-ass tricks.

I've played the beta long enough to say most of the quests are boring. Search this house, kill 10 bears, meditate here etc. and I don't get the hype. Landscape is ok. Dol Amroth is Annuminas + Celondim.

When you finish the quests you come face to face with the reality. There is no replay value. Better take your alts to do same quests over and over to justify the money you've spent. There is no group content like in Great River so price is really expensive.

I heard it's gonna be at least 1600 tp. Great River was a great zone with lots of quests with a great 6 man for 795 tp. "Free for VIP" is a delusion lol. People who spend money to Lotro... Well, that's how Turbine is being rewarded for doing nothing but cheap-ass tricks.

Wait, what? There's hype someplace for this?

• Upvote 1

I just want to say, it's a tad worrying that the beta forum is moving so slowly. It's even hard for the "I love the landscape" threads to get replies. And I think more people pay attention to the beta forum (when its public) to see what's changing and if its good or bad.

There is very little to test in this build. The only landscape quests implemented so far are in Blackroot Vale.

This is the earliest stage in which I've ever seen LOTRO content. Even during closed betas for previous expansions, things have been much further along by the time I've seen them. It will be very interesting to see how it develops from now until launch. I'm guessing that will be at least a month from now.

There is very little to test in this build. The only landscape quests implemented so far are in Blackroot Vale.

This is the earliest stage in which I've ever seen LOTRO content. Even during closed betas for previous expansions, things have been much further along by the time I've seen them. It will be very interesting to see how it develops from now until launch. I'm guessing that will be at least a month from now.

True. Or the rest of the quest could just be gated and bugged out. Either is likely in my opinion :P

Though based on the pink place holders, you may have a point.

Where did you hear about the price? 800TP has been par for the course for a long time now. Pretty sure I paid that for Wilderchore as well as GR. I could see them upping it to 995TP just to squeeze the players' nads a bit but to double the price would be ridiculous. 

Wait, what? There's hype someplace for this?

There is always hype when a dying mmo gets a new zone after a long wait. In this case, this hype makes players say stuff like "omg this is the best landscape and quests I've ever seen in an online game"

Where did you hear about the price? 800TP has been par for the course for a long time now. Pretty sure I paid that for Wilderchore as well as GR. I could see them upping it to 995TP just to squeeze the players' nads a bit but to double the price would be ridiculous. 

I heard it in world chat from people who were discussing price. They said Great River and Wildermore is considered a single zone while this zone is three times bigger and have more quests and considered half an expansion. Someone even said 2000 tp.

That's all just random hearsay at this point though, isn't it? In-game chat. Until Sapience posts an estimate and then edits his own post and snarkily denies everything and then repeats something else three times, no one will get closer to the real price. ;)

i would feel good about such early previews of things like this:

ScreenShot00048.jpg

if the early preview was intentioned on getting feedback prior to committing and setting things in stone.  if that was the motive, then i could look at the above and say yep, this is indeed a first look at early beta and offer my feedback on what i thought were the weak points and areas that needed tweaking, or improvement.

that said...  the impression i get from looking at this.  looks like the early work of the people they fired.  no polish, no refinement.  & knowing those people were fired...  i suspect this is what we'll get.  so feedback is pointless, from were i sit.

the above needs soo much refinement to get it to a point that it would be in a state i could get excited about.

as it is now, just looks hamfisted and rushed.

given the timetable they are probably on internally, with what is left to add, there just isn't any time to refine and improve this.

& i suspect that will be the case with the entire update.

One thing I've always loved about Tolkien's Middle-earth was that the world and architecture was believable. Things were not fantastical, just to look that way.

That image of Dol Amroth looks far too fantasy like; too many statue like things and wings on tower-tops.

I felt the same with Rohan; their towns should not have had fountains and horse statues everywhere. 

Turbine haven't a clue.

One thing I've always loved about Tolkien's Middle-earth was that the world and architecture was believable. Things were not fantastical, just to look that way.

That image of Dol Amroth looks far too fantasy like; too many statue like things and wings on tower-tops.

I felt the same with Rohan; their towns should not have had fountains and horse statues everywhere. 

Turbine haven't a clue.

Dol Amroth, as it appears in the screenie above, has a serious lack of the standard motif of the Princes of Dol Amroth, which is a silver-upon-blue banner, bearing a ship with a swan-prow upon the sea, or even the ship with a swan-prow.  I see winglike structures on the towers but nothing involving ships.  The Man-head carvings remind me more or Moria than Dol Amroth.

Turbine haven't a clue.

Dol Amroth, as it appears in the screenie above, has a serious lack of the standard motif of the Princes of Dol Amroth, which is a silver-upon-blue banner, bearing a ship with a swan-prow upon the sea, or even the ship with a swan-prow.  I see winglike structures on the towers but nothing involving ships.  The Man-head carvings remind me more or Moria than Dol Amroth.

what is this feedback nonsense?!!!

you both know this early preview is to attempt to hype...  whom, i cannot say...  not without sounding demeaning, that is.

this isn't for feedback & course correction, or adjustment sillies.

but i lean to agree with both of you, for what it is worth...

Dwarves are the skilled builders, to the point their creations seem miraculous, that is how they were build.  Elves are long lived & have the time (many human lifetimes) to create works of beauty & skill.

whilst the descendants of Numinor may have had long lives...  that length was nothing compared to the Elves... and all that mixing with the lacking in grace, short lived savages...

and all the things unique to Gondor & unique specifically to Dol Amroth...  all i see is copy pasta of areas previously in game in other regions, over use of facial features, much too large & some new swan towers, being new, they used liberally... and by liberally, i mean excessively.

if i thought this early preview was intended for feedback, i would be entirely forgiving.  but June is seeing a population decline & this early preview, along with more festivals (from the seasonal, to chicken sports & treasure hunts) are all just an attempt to stiffle the outflow.

nothing here to be impressed by, or excited about.

This is how you server mergers aren't going to happen:

LOTRO-character-copy-service.jpg

I saw the screenies on MPerils website.  It doesn't look bad except no clue how those 2 boats in the back ever leave the harber?

ScreenShot00048.jpg

I've heard from a friend the quests are about what you'd expect from the staff that was just fired.

If they removed those ridiculous wings on tower tops and the gratuitous stone heads, the city would look much cleaner, much more believable.... and even more like Annuminas.

I see what you did there, Turbine. Except that putting swan wings all over Annuminas architecture and calling it Gondor is the Middle-Earth equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig.

• Upvote 1

The old ICE merp campaign and adventure modules were among the best I've ever seen for any P&P rpg content. 

As for the lotro version, I don't understand why they've included those massive dwarven heads. Just looks odd.

• Upvote 2

U13 finally broke me.

There were several factors that have finally made me cancel my sub:

1) While I was never much of a raider, I did enjoy running 6-mans, and throwing those out with the raids, to me, was a huge mistake. Epic Battles don't really take the place.

2) The hopeless state of the LI system, especially it's dependence on store purchases to make it a bearable grind. 

3) The reliance on gimmicks to sell expansions, and then lack of follow-up with those systems. Skirmishes and mounted combat are prime examples, and I fully expect the new trait system and epic battle system to fall by the wayside as soon as some new shiny catches their eye.

4) The biggie - more and more reliance on the RNG for rewards. I don't mind working, if there's a goal in sight, but grinding just on the hope that something will drop turns me off. Even when there is a goal in sight, the costs of the rewards has gotten ridiculous.

U13 finally broke me.

There were several factors that have finally made me cancel my sub:

1) While I was never much of a raider, I did enjoy running 6-mans, and throwing those out with the raids, to me, was a huge mistake. Epic Battles don't really take the place.

2) The hopeless state of the LI system, especially it's dependence on store purchases to make it a bearable grind. 

3) The reliance on gimmicks to sell expansions, and then lack of follow-up with those systems. Skirmishes and mounted combat are prime examples, and I fully expect the new trait system and epic battle system to fall by the wayside as soon as some new shiny catches their eye.

4) The biggie - more and more reliance on the RNG for rewards. I don't mind working, if there's a goal in sight, but grinding just on the hope that something will drop turns me off. Even when there is a goal in sight, the costs of the rewards has gotten ridiculous.

Your numbers 3 and 4 were the biggest game-related reasons that I quit playing, plus I got fed up with the way Turbine and the CM run things.

The old ICE merp campaign and adventure modules were among the best I've ever seen for any P&P rpg content. 

As for the lotro version, I don't understand why they've included those massive dwarven heads. Just looks odd.

Ayup.  Think I have the complete set of MERP but for the Grey Mountains.  70 bucks on ebay.  blech

This is how you server mergers aren't going to happen:

LOTRO-character-copy-service.jpg

oh i am sure some folk did take advantage.  which leaves the servers they transferred away from in an even worse state.

the problem with hoping the pressure will be enough to force people to open their wallets...

it doesn't account for all those folk who are just waiting for a shut down.

when i see a company not facilitating its community, i see a company milking players as many times as possible before pulling the plug.

they aren't proactive in addressing the issue  & that speaks volumes.

which is why one day i will log in to Nimrodel & it will be just me and Nymphonic...  & when that day comes... i am trolling the shit out of that motherfucker!   :P

• Upvote 1

True. Or the rest of the quest could just be gated and bugged out. Either is likely in my opinion :P

Though based on the pink place holders, you may have a point.

Actually, it's neither gated nor bugged out. I was just unobservant and failed to explore thoroughly. There's no "breadcrumb" quest to lead players into the Lamedon landscape quests. I rode right past the quest giver that starts out the chain in that area several times before someone finally pointed him out to me. I've just gotten so used to Turbine leading me around on a leash that I didn't keep my eyes open!

There's a lot more already in the beta than I originally thought. It's not quite Lothlorien or Enedwaith or Great River or even Wildermore quality or quantity, but it's really not as bad as I expected.

Ayup.  Think I have the complete set of MERP but for the Grey Mountains.  70 bucks on ebay.  blech

I am missing a few of the Modules, and the Grey Mountains is one of those, lol.

For comparison, this is what the group formerly known as Iron Crown Enterprises did for a layout of Dol Amroth:

Mapa_Dol_Amroth.jpg

Like I've said many times, I would've loved it if they used MERP's maps for the game maps!