LOTROCommunity

I don't really play GW2, but WOW!

vr00mie

So I have a GW2 account, but not really playing it.

Suddenly I start getting a lot of "reset your password" and "authorize login attempt" mails, so I contact Customer Support ASAP.

And WOW! Fast, helful and proffessional, everything fixed in no time!

Now I almost feel like I have to start playing it just because they have such awesome support...

At this point, given my experience between WoW and LotRO and Blizzard/Turbine respectively, I would personally rather play a game by a better company first and game playstyle/quality/content/whatever second...

Hope everyone who's shifting off LotRO finds something to suit them. ;)

At this point, given my experience between WoW and LotRO and Blizzard/Turbine respectively, I would personally rather play a game by a better company first and game playstyle/quality/content/whatever second...

Funny how companies that treat customers well are the ones also making great content and improvements to the game.

Can you imagine how good Lotro would be if Trion had been developing the game the last 3 years? Just the fact they spent time to improve an already great auction system. Meanwhile, Lotro's systems like the AH never get any improvements - even though they badly need it.

Funny how companies that treat customers well are the ones also making great content and improvements to the game.

Can you imagine how good Lotro would be if Trion had been developing the game the last 3 years? Just the fact they spent time to improve an already great auction system. Meanwhile, Lotro's systems like the AH never get any improvements - even though they badly need it.

Yep. :) I was surprised Trion planned to do a real AH revamp and not just some UI fixes and offering better searching for specific things (like stat runes, made some requests in the public survey). If Trion was responsible for a LotR MMO, well...I think most of us disgruntled ex-players wouldn't be active here much at all. :P Meanwhile, just because Trion is proactive about engaging their players, I'll be throwing more money at them. Can't satisfy everyone, but by gum, they're trying.

Likewise, having a good customer support experience (which I've had with Trion as well) like OP, only helps with the warm feelings.

All in the name of building trust and loyalty.

I would not put too much emphasis on things like auction system.  They have their importance, but simply improvement to those kind of (secondary)systems to make them easier or faster to use is nice, but it is nice IMHO if core principles of the game are good.  If game fundamentals are fu&%$#$ up like in Lotro case then nice AH revamp or few UI fixes would not change anything.

On the other hand - bugs, exploits, botters, cheaters, etc fixing&controlling  support and to lesser extent in-game and out of game GM support are very important at least to me.

Hope everyone who's shifting off LotRO finds something to suit them. ;)

I think I have too high requirements. There is no mmorpg with good enough game & support for me on the market atm :/

I would not put too much emphasis on things like auction system.  They have their importance, but simply improvement to those kind of (secondary)systems to make them easier or faster to use is nice, but it is nice IMHO if core principles of the game are good.  If game fundamentals are fu&%$#$ up like in Lotro case then nice AH revamp or few UI fixes would not change anything.

I agree for the most part; in LotRO's case, the core is so crippled that no amount of border fluffing will help save the game as a whole. At least in the case of Rift, the main game is rather polished already. But every element adds up as well and targets different overlapping audiences: If LotRO's housing received a proper revamp, LIs received its own revamp, if a couple 6-mans were introduced even while the core mechanics weren't great...those things can be enough to get certain players to return. Still not enough to save the game in the long term in terms of competitive quality.

I agree for the most part; in LotRO's case, the core is so crippled that no amount of border fluffing will help save the game as a whole. At least in the case of Rift, the main game is rather polished already. But every element adds up as well and targets different overlapping audiences: If LotRO's housing received a proper revamp, LIs received its own revamp, if a couple 6-mans were introduced even while the core mechanics weren't great...those things can be enough to get certain players to return. Still not enough to save the game in the long term in terms of competitive quality.

I've also agree for the most part :)   I am certain if all things you mentioned would be added at same time (or at least close to each other)  then it would certainly make some players back, certainly many among those who had quit recently and secretly wish for a reason to come back

I don't think it would add up for bean counters though.  Lotro playerbase is dwindling, for many ex-players game is completly broken for a long time longer than since HD, then there is growing issue of graphics, (lack of) support, piling up game engine issues, propably piling up bugs, over-monetization that is non-solvable in an old-microtransction mmorpg,  etc     so any player surge would propably be short lived anyway.

I agree. There are bigger problems, but a few years back, when the population was bigger, the loot system still was decent, when you could get a group, etc. those little things mattered. Having a better AH or kinship system, or improving Housing or storage systems - all those things would have improved the quality of life a lot. We might not be in such a bad place with Lotro if they spent money to just keep improving the game - as WoW and Rift has done. 

A lot of people don't like the later WoW changes, but in terms of basic gameplay improvements (travel locations, reputation, etc) almost everyone likes the later versions of WoW. This is because the small gameplay improvements made playing WoW a much more enjoyable experience. If you play the various versions of WoW on a private server, you can really see how each year they improved WoW to make playing more fun. If Lotro had done this, instead of trying to increase grind and drive everyone to the store, there would be a lot more people playing, and it would be a better game. Blizzard and Trion would have made much better housing in Lotro long ago.

The only pain in the ass I've had with them is that they constantly require me to authorise my IP... which doesn't change. It's like they aren't saving it for future use.

I'm assuming you checked the box for it to remember that IP. :P Surely you would have, so it's odd you'd have that problem.

• 2 months later...

LOTRO was my first MMO as I previously just played FPS so Life after LOTRO for me was slow to start because I really like the MMO. I started with ESO as I always thought GW2 was a bit too......cartoonish for me but at a friends request I got the game and started playing it in earnest. What a huge improvement from LOTRO in game-play, customer support, creativity and pretty much every other category I can think of except the actual story line. Lets face it, there will only ever be one Tolkein... I always though Turbine was just an average studio but after branching out and playing other titles I'm convinced Turbine should find something else to do...

• Upvote 1

GW2's had some bumps lately...a statement made by a dev a couple of weeks ago got blown hugely out of proportion, and the resulting shitstorm saw the departure of the head CM as well as the lady who oversaw the UI revamp. I'm still not sure exactly what happened or why, which is why I haven't posted about it here yet. I've been dealing with my dislocated elbow as well as a death in the family and haven't had much time to worry about such things.

However, the game is still very strong, to judge from what I see when I log on. Anet is making a real effort to communicate with the playerbase, especially after that little episode.

GW2 is stuck in a mud for a good while now. They are not developing any new group content and focusing on soloplay "living story". Sounds familiar?

I know GW2 fanboys will say otherwise but the game is in shitty state.

I got it at release, played to cap and stopped. I hated the story and the world. Gameplay and graphics are amazing but the overall feel and dark storyline of GW is better in my opinion. GW2 is too light-hearted, silly and cartoony for me and I didn't like the puppyisation of the Char or those underwater talking creatures. It went from being a believable world in GW to a cartoon with no depth.

I was really disappointed with it. 

GW2 is stuck in a mud for a good while now. They are not developing any new group content and focusing on soloplay "living story". Sounds familiar?

I know GW2 fanboys will say otherwise but the game is in shitty state.

And the great Feature Patch coming in Sept is just a few QOL changes and tiny class balances. I'm disappointed. For me the next big thing is the next WvW tournament, but really, it's the third one and even though it's shorter than the last and the achievements will be "toned down", it brings nothing new.

Agreed, the game is stuck in the mud. For me, that means I'm looking for something new ... ArcheAge open beta is on 4th Sept, release scheduled for 16th Sept. I'll check that one out, sounds promising.

And the great Feature Patch coming in Sept is just a few QOL changes and tiny class balances. I'm disappointed. For me the next big thing is the next WvW tournament, but really, it's the third one and even though it's shorter than the last and the achievements will be "toned down", it brings nothing new.

Agreed, the game is stuck in the mud. For me, that means I'm looking for something new ... ArcheAge open beta is on 4th Sept, release scheduled for 16th Sept. I'll check that one out, sounds promising.

Yeah man, seems like this kind of development is the norm for all mmos. I have departed from the mmo world and all its drama to single player gaming on pc and ps3.

I play a lot of online lan games with my friends tho. Command and Conquer generals zero hour is our favourite pass time for months now :)

I enjoy MMOs, for me they have to be playable as semi-casual. My first one was Lotro, GW2 being my second, looks like ArcheAge's gonna be my third ... I accept that I have to change games every two-three years, as after this period I have seen all done all, reached endgame, equipped my chars (had two in Lotro, have two in GW2) with BiS stuff ... and if there's no new stuff added, it gets repetive. I can take some grinding, but I need a goal. And I don't play same stuff every day just to get each and every skin/wep/armour/mini-pet/mount/whatever. Think I now have reached that point in GW2 ... time to move on :)

GW2's had some bumps lately...a statement made by a dev a couple of weeks ago got blown hugely out of proportion, and the resulting shitstorm saw the departure of the head CM as well as the lady who oversaw the UI revamp. I'm still not sure exactly what happened or why, which is why I haven't posted about it here yet. I've been dealing with my dislocated elbow as well as a death in the family and haven't had much time to worry about such things.

However, the game is still very strong, to judge from what I see when I log on. Anet is making a real effort to communicate with the playerbase, especially after that little episode.

Can you link a thread on what you're referring to?

I don't follow their forums / any forums (apart from TSW ;)) too closely but I like to know things, nosy person that I am :D

Can you link a thread on what you're referring to?

I don't follow their forums / any forums (apart from TSW ;)) too closely but I like to know things, nosy person that I am :D

Got most of...whatever happened...from Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2e87aj/this_is_what_martin_kerstein_head_of_community/

And here's the thread discussing his departure:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2ee6i4/martin_kernstein_is_no_longer_with_anet/

There doesn't seem to be a lot of dismay over this, and that's telling. I really don't know anything about him, but the truth was is that he wasn't much of a communicator. Not sure if that was his own approach, or what he was directed to do. It certainly seems he wasn't happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Following up on my own post to pass some good news along...apparently Gaile Gray, the game's original CM, is returning to that position after being the support liaison for GW2 since it launched.

She's already busy on the OF talking with players about the recent changes, welcome and otherwise, so this is the best decision they could have made. A lot of us remember her in-game visits in GW1, when she'd hang out in LA and chat with players. Basically she's the Patience of GW, so we're happy to see her back.

d;)b

Trion used to have their very own Patience, but he left the company.

You know, I think I may have gotten into Rift or its OF around the time a GM left Trion and there was a bit of an uproar on the OF, but I can't for the life of me remember his name. I think he's mentioned in an artifact set, and there are jokes about mead...