LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Trilwych

Screenshots (landscape)

So what does Rift look like? Here are some screenies of the zones, though I didn't capture the lowbie ones (which are Guardian/Defiant-specific). High-medium settings, not entirely maxed out. Shots may not be fully representative of a zone, as some are quite large and have multiple sub-areas.

Album link with descriptions

Slideshow

A few examples:

IronPinePeak_zpsb4805609.jpg

CapeJule_zpscf7a22fd.jpg

Morban_zps4406f5dd.jpg

Ashora-ruins_zpsf496c8ec.jpg

• Upvote 2

Love those shots, Tril. I think Rift is quite beautiful to look at. Someday maybe I'll even figure out how to be a good player. :)

If you're looking for class and specific play tips and don't want to bother with the Rift OF (they have separate class guide subforums, btw), you could post here in the Rift subforum or ping me in game (I'm hardly an expert, but I have 3 60s now in each class except cleric, who's at 55 now). :P

Thanks Tril! I just need to figure out my rogue's souls. I've read a few sites on the subject, but find the choices a bit daunting. I usually just end up working on a dimension instead. I'm a professional slacker. ;)

Pft, playing an MMO is supposed to be our slack time, no judging there. :P

• Upvote 1

Pft, playing an MMO is supposed to be our slack time, no judging there. :P

True!

Seriously though, I hesitate to join raids now since I'm lvl 42-ish and still am not sure about my souls. Thus the dimension-focus. lol!

EmberIsle-sunset_zps639ad04f.jpg

Still love Ember Isle... It's too bad Trion's experiment in adding level 60 underwater content (testbed content for the 3.0 expansion) to enliven the old level 50 endzone didn't go all that well (the level 60 underwater zone event almost NEVER gets completed), but I'm glad Trion chose to do that for metrics. Supposedly 3.0 will have lots of "dry land" content. Part of the EI-60 content problem has to do with Mathosia being an entirely different map from Storm Legion continents, though, so you can't see the zone event markers on the map you're not currently in, and since 60s are usually only in the SL areas, they wouldn't see Mathosia events on the map. I hope Trion figures that out someday.

EmberIsle-sunset_zps639ad04f.jpg

Still love Ember Isle... It's too bad Trion's experiment in adding level 60 underwater content (testbed content for the 3.0 expansion) to enliven the old level 50 endzone didn't go all that well (the level 60 underwater zone event almost NEVER gets completed), but I'm glad Trion chose to do that for metrics. Supposedly 3.0 will have lots of "dry land" content. Part of the EI-60 content problem has to do with Mathosia being an entirely different map from Storm Legion continents, though, so you can't see the zone event markers on the map you're not currently in, and since 60s are usually only in the SL areas, they wouldn't see Mathosia events on the map. I hope Trion figures that out someday.

Wait, what? That underwater zone off the coast of Ember Isle was a BLAST, and I remember a huge amount of people doing it and finishing it, like I did. Perhaps less people are doing it now, since it has been out a while, and I expect the majority of players have been at level-cap for a while, and thus likely have done it already, but I just don't see how people wouldn't be completing it now. It's easy to solo, and a pretty fun Saga, actually.

I meant the zone event specifically. SL zone events always have participants, but I have never seen a full raid for the underwater zone event outside the release heat window, and now I never see it being completed at all. :( There are still problems with underwater combat, and I'll bet most getting to level 60 since West EI was released will never get the achievement for the dimension items. Two out of three event stages are quite challenging, and the currency reward is not very much for the effort.

I meant the zone event specifically. SL zone events always have participants, but I have never seen a full raid for the underwater zone event outside the release heat window, and now I never see it being completed at all. :( There are still problems with underwater combat, and I'll bet most getting to level 60 since West EI was released will never get the achievement for the dimension items. Two out of three event stages are quite challenging, and the currency reward is not very much for the effort.

Ah, I see.

I've tried to get into Rift multiple times, but I can't get past how bland the graphics look (on any setting), and the game doesn't seem to be optimized to run well on my computer. Now, I know a lot of people like Rift's graphics so I guess this is really a case of to each their own.

I've tried to get into Rift multiple times, but I can't get past how bland the graphics look (on any setting), and the game doesn't seem to be optimized to run well on my computer. Now, I know a lot of people like Rift's graphics so I guess this is really a case of to each their own.

I can understand where you are coming from, I happen to like them but what amazes me is the lag frees smoothness I get even on the highest settings.

PJ

I can understand where you are coming from, I happen to like them but what amazes me is the lag frees smoothness I get even on the highest settings.

PJ

I don't have the highest settings, but mine are higher than what I had in LotRO. What's great is that Trion is actively improving performance in the past major patches and onwards, even QoL things like physics (it was particularly bad with fast mounts that hit a small rock or bump in terrain and careen several meters, usually off a cliff). The latest word is a dev quote in the last week or so saying Trion is looking at shadows, which have a huge impact on graphical performance. I normally play with all shadows off, which bumps up my FPS by like 10-15, but having shadows on really makes the world (and dimensions!) look nicer.

• Upvote 1

Graphics are ok to me in Rift. Not incredible but ok. But my PC always runs hot even with lower settings. I haven't played for a year - so I m impressed they are trying to improve it. It does seem like a game that takes a lot out of a computer. But I am sure a good gaming rig can handle it fine.

@ question on rogue souls

Google "rogue solo build" or something. There are some nice leveling builds. You can also just pick what is fun too -maybe with some ranged abilities.

Am I right in terms of what you can see, anything more than 60fps doesn't make much difference? What about in terms of gameplay? What FPS should one aim for?

PJ

Am I right in terms of what you can see, anything more than 60fps doesn't make much difference? What about in terms of gameplay? What FPS should one aim for?

PJ

Well. :) My internet connection is on the okay-slower side of things and my hardware isn't the latest-greatest, so I'm just happy when things come together such that the game quality is good for me, probably 40 fps at the top with things like ground clutter and shadows disabled. As long as things look decent and without terrible lag during a 1.75-full-raid Ashora zone event after 9:30pm PST on a Wednesday night... I don't normally pay attention to what my FPS drops to during those things, but with a laggy 3-raid super-event like Volan, I'm just happy to be able to do a roof-jump without missing the timing since that can mean death. :P

Some more technical chatter, I guess: http://forums.riftgame.com/technical-discussions/tech-support/117206-can-you-run-ultra-60fps.html

Edit to add: I just completed a Dendrome planarch boss zone event. The planarch boss final fights are incredibly graphically intense because of the massive overlapping spell effects going on from all the orbs (on top of the general chaos of multi-raid zone events), and my FPS hovered around 12. Still quite playable at the bottom end there. :P I used to only get single digit FPS for the planarch bosses, but Trion's constant tweaking seems to have helped my setup.

Well. :) My internet connection is on the okay-slower side of things and my hardware isn't the latest-greatest, so I'm just happy when things come together such that the game quality is good for me, probably 40 fps at the top with things like ground clutter and shadows disabled. As long as things look decent and without terrible lag during a 1.75-full-raid Ashora zone event after 9:30pm PST on a Wednesday night... I don't normally pay attention to what my FPS drops to during those things, but with a laggy 3-raid super-event like Volan, I'm just happy to be able to do a roof-jump without missing the timing since that can mean death. :P

Some more technical chatter, I guess: http://forums.riftgame.com/technical-discussions/tech-support/117206-can-you-run-ultra-60fps.html

Edit to add: I just completed a Dendrome planarch boss zone event. The planarch boss final fights are incredibly graphically intense because of the massive overlapping spell effects going on from all the orbs (on top of the general chaos of multi-raid zone events), and my FPS hovered around 12. Still quite playable at the bottom end there. :P I used to only get single digit FPS for the planarch bosses, but Trion's constant tweaking seems to have helped my setup.

Thank you that is a useful thread. With my new gfx card it is the first time I have been able to play any game on ultra :) usually get between 60-80 FPS