LOTROCommunity

lotro dying?

lotroplayer

Turbine is no longer making classic group instances or raids, and will not do anything for the PvMP players, either. This has lead to a drastic loss of players on most servers, leaving many as virtual ghost towns, and Turbine won't merge them to improve the situation. So things are rather bleak right now. The game isn't dead yet, but it's not very healthy, either.

Heck, they're not even releasing new skirmishes. They're more interested in monetizing new systems like mounted combat (which isn't new anymore I guess) and soon more cosmetic pets and whatever.

But all of the recent chatter about missing group content is just a diversion from the elephant in the room: The drastic class and combat revamp in Helm's Deep I believe took a HUGE chunk out of the player population, because if raiders and PvMPers only comprised a "small percent" of the player base, their loss absolutely does not explain why the game population numbers tanked so dramatically post-HD.

Populations way down on all servers - lowest it has ever been. Turbine has been spending too little on the game - they stopped making any group instances. Recently laid off a bunch of staff.

They did a skill revamp. Balance is messed up - game is usually way too easy. The new Big Battles are hated by most players.

WoW can be quite fun - depending what you like. Well made, lots to explore, good dungeons and PvP. It's a pretty good game, despite some hardcore players not liking the changes to the game.

Rift is good. GW2 is pretty good too. Rift is nice for casual PvP, lots of PVE, grouping, raids, etc. Classic MMO like WoW but better graphics.

Turbine are re-marketing LOTRO as the worlds first Massively Single Player Online Role-Playing Game, group play is discouraged, in fact anything group related is discouraged. Kinships are only allowed as they've been there from the start and even the fanboys may leave if they were disallowed.

Every class is getting another re-vamp, all skills are being narrowed down to A - KILL and B - HEAL so the facerollers stay with the game.

A new SOLO raid cluster is being made with 6 wings each having a main 2.5 Million Morale boss, rewards for this raid on t2cm include a Buggs Bunny/Daffy duck pet/cosmetic crap and festival items....OR our new end-game currency the Scottish pound which can be bartered for sweet fa (as its worthless)

A long-awaited overhaul of big battles is also on the way, instead of the current system big battles will now entail a cutscene of the movies for people to watch so you can sit back and eat popcorn (its more realistic).

Aaaaaand the beorning class has been abandoned in favour of everyone being able to play as a Lore-Masters Bear instead, this is cheaper to develop (they already exist) so they can focus on more solo raids for people in the future.

group play is discouraged, in fact anything group related is discouraged.

ive noticed this when i came back the other day noone really  wants to do anything from what ive seen

i have wow  a friend gave the cds to me up to cactaclysm i might sub for that when i can

feel  kind of dumb for just buying the hd expansion for lotro now  but oh well lol

ive noticed this when i came back the other day noone really  wants to do anything from what ive seen

Turbine stopped releasing group content.....WHICH.....stopped people grouping as the only stuff to do was old crap they had done loads of times already.....WHICH.....made turbine come out with statements like 'hardly anyone raids', 'hardly anyone does instances' etc etc

And when you toss in the faceroll gameplay, you get the idea.

Try wildstar/rift/swtor if you want dungeons/raids, wildstar if you want a challenge.....on the lower level dungeons you wipe a lot :D

I look at LotRO's current situation like this. How many players could Turbine have retained and newly gotten if---

1) No class revamps, yes traditional group content

2) No class revamps, no traditional group content

3) Yes class revamps, yes traditional group content

4) Yes class revamps, no traditional group content

Assume BBs would have been implemented anyway. Both 1 and 2 would have been okay, because even without more group content in #2, none of the previous content would have been broken (older raids though Draigoch is still buggy, raid skirmishes would still be fine, players using the Tortoise stone could still enjoy some things, new BBs might have been more interesting with normal working class mechanics, etc.). Landscape questing wouldn't have been broken by the class-combat overhaul either.

#3 is a doozy when you think about it. Assuming HD gave us the exact same completely unbalanced buggy faceroll stripped down class revamps AND group content, there would've been NO WAY (IMO) new group content could have been fun given how unbalanced the most fundamental aspects of combat was and is. Groupers generally enjoy the challenge of more difficult runs, that's just how progression raiding works. So even if Turbine did give proper group content in HD alongside everything else, I still think that would have failed quite horribly.

Meanwhile, we're at #4.

Oh, and the little things:

Festivals are a wasteland. Nothing new to get players excited.

The recent chicken-ball experiment was horribly buggy and difficult to participate in with the minimum participation threshold.

This year, Turbine stopped allowing players to use points to transfer servers; now they can only do so using cash. With so many servers having low populations, you must reroll from scratch or pony up.

Any housing revamp previously alluded to last year has been officially abandoned.

What else did I forget?

It's dead alright. Last night at 10.45 I logged on as my main to see who was around etc. GLF had 122 people. Yet during the 45 mins I was online that channel remained utterly silent. Never seen that before.

i am coming back on this game after a long break and everyone here seems like the game is going to hell lol i dont know what has changed can anyone fill me in please like a simple explanation 

No, LOTRO isn't dying imminently. Well, no computer game goes on forever and everything can be said to be dying in some sense, but there's no reason to think it will shut down this year and personally I expect to get next year out of it too and reach Mordor. This forum is in uproar because the lid came off things in the official one this week. You would get a bad picture of the game from either forum at the moment (I was browsing the other one last night), but the only way to really know what LOTRO is like is to log in and play.

OK, the last time I said "It's not dead yet" people suggested that I thought everything was fine. So, just for the record, I don't like Big Battles, LI's are infuriating, Hobbit Presents wind me up and I'm very disappointed that Turbine have given up on updating housing. But it's still the only available experience of Middle Earth.

I still play every evening I get the chance and in the last couple of months my kin have been bucking the trend, increasing in numbers.

People complain rightly that no new fellowship instances are planned, but often overlook that LOTRO has a lot of good content like that already and much of it is now scalable.

Over the last half-year or so a few annoyances in the software have been ironed out. Login times are much reduced. A memory leak causing crashes seems to have been fixed. A few bugs relating to skills in the new skill trees have been fixed. My perception of lag is that it's now less serious. So clearly software work has been going on behind the scenes.

By the way, as far as I know I'm unique in my kin in posting on a forum like this. None of the rest I know in-game take any notice of either this forum or the official one. (In fact, I often moan that we can't get them to even use the kin's own forum). So it's not possible to get a true picture of what playing LOTRO is like by reading forums.

I dont buy this idea that it will slowly limp on to Mordor getting sicker and sicker as it goes.

The very second lotro crosses the line that makes it a burden for WB the game will close, no waiting no warning, it will shut there and then, and going off all the cuts in development and staff lay offs of late and the rapidly declining player base, I am certain we are not far off that point.

Its exponential, the more they cut from the game the more people leave which means they have to cut more from the game, that cannot continue forever.

Raiders and PvPrs are gone more or less and now those that remained will also leave, but more worrying for turbine is the recent festivals were down on numbers, people couldnt even get a 3v3 hobnanigans match together due to lack of players, weatherstock was down on numbers and there is nothing coming that will improve the game for people who like festivals, so the population of that group will only decrease as well.

People who are into housing got their kick in the nards as well, those that were hanging around for the update now have no reason to stay, which means there is even less incentive for turbine to actually do anything at all on housing, expect the next comment from Sapience to be " there will be no improvements to housing in the forseeable future, as we have the stats that show people into housing are less than 10% of the population" ignoring the fact that these people had been waiting for the promised update for 2 years.

All that is left in the game ALL THAT IS LEFT is sightseeing and cosmetic pets and only for as long as they have the money to produce that, we are already seeing landscape copy and pasted everywhere, so the signs are there that even that is on the slippery slope. 

They are cutting expenditure everywhere on this game, they have no wiggle room anymore, everything is effected.

• Upvote 1

I see what you're saying. It's true that WB won't run LOTRO at a loss, and revenues are dropping because dissatisfied players are leaving. But you say it yourself: "they are cutting expenditure everywhere". That's why I expect it to keep running for a few years yet.

I see what you're saying. It's true that WB won't run LOTRO at a loss, and revenues are dropping because dissatisfied players are leaving. But you say it yourself: "they are cutting expenditure everywhere". That's why I expect it to keep running for a few years yet.

yeah agreed its possible, but neither of us really know where the threshold is or how close they are to it.

It may happen next week, next month, end of the year,after Mordor, who knows?

All I can say is I will be very surprised if it is still here in 12 months, it seems they are speeding up the journey as much as possible to try and get to mordor before its too late, and all that has done is speed up the rate of decline.

I think Brokk is right in that there are still people playing the game and enjoying it - to them the game probably isn't dying. It's all a matter of perspective.  Yes, there are still new comers coming to the game too. However, in my experience they tend to disappear once they reach level cap because they are bored.

The facts are that the overall amount of players is significantly less than in the past. log-ins continue to drop year on year and many servers have very little players on them. That speaks volumes: yes, the game is in decline. No one can argue that it is not.

Turbine are not releasing any expansions this year. What company does not release an expansion pack if they are profitable?

There will be no more traditional group content. End game is now reputation and cosmetic pet grinds of daily repeatables. 

The housing update has been cancelled.

In game AHs are dead.

Update 13 was tiny and had a fade to back screen to tell the story of Isengard's flooding.

It is quite obvious no money or real development is being spent on the game. You have to ask yourself, are you willing to invest your time and money in a game that the owners are not willing to invest in?

Bit like a long term smoker who has a bad cough, coughing up blood but wants to carry on regardless. Or someone who ignores the engine warning light on their car. Sure it's still running for now but for how long...

Dying is pretty general. It is clearly not dead as in "servers are off and won't ever come back". This is why I focus on population estimates, such as logins/hour or steam charts. There is a kind of snowballing effect, when kin leaders and officers leave, kin members might be tempted to follow. Ditto with raid or group leaders who brought some life to glff.

At some point you can't find anything in the AH, you can't sell anything either, you can't get a legendary weapon for your toon under the max level and everything of this kind falls to pieces.

As an anecdote, I have been looking for a legendary weapon every day at the AH for one of my toon which I leveled from 62 to 82 these past weeks. I finaly bought one lvl 90 which I keep in stock for in a couple of weeks. I only loot an interesting one every ten or so level, which means that I have to level using outdated third age weapons most of the time. No population = No AH.

(At 82 I still use a bartered lvl 75 weapon, thanks for bartered weapons I could change more than once in twenty levels)

It is quite obvious no money or real development is being spent on the game. You have to ask yourself, are you willing to invest your time and money in a game that the owners are willing to invest in?

And this, I suspect, is what Turbine's metrics really tell them. They think they have enough people to do away with MMO staple content, and still get to the finish line. They are not looking for new players at this point, just ways to nickle and dime the remaining few, and to produce 'content' in the cheapest way possible (looking at you U13). I further hypothesize that the class revamps went ahead with this in mind. After all, trait points via BB gating are now available in the Store.

What is happening to Lotro is nothing new.  They have been cutting expedintures, staff and gameplay since after Mines of Moria release.    Onlyt time since then, they've upped expedintures for a bit was F2P&ROI release - at least judgining from marketing and opinions of this forum on ROI, since I've not played it myself.

Lotro is not that much of a special case either.  Many mmorpg's operate in that kind of manner.  Players don't leave at once, but they leave gradually over time in long perpsective - that allows companies to cut down expedintures gradually as well and try to maintain profits from every $ spent this way.

Shutting Lotro down propably depends on on many things.  They may drag Lotro and keep it operational simply just for sake of "holding license", even if only in order to not give a chance for any other game company to think about acquiring M-E license for PC and/or Console online gaming.  After all M-E franchise is one of main WB IPs they use to create various entertainment products.

Speaking of the license, I wonder if it is possible that a condition of the license is that they meet certain goals such as Gondor, Pelenor fields, Mordor or face losing it or a penalty. Perhaps that is why the rush? Probably not but I still think it will drag on for a while yet.

The only MMO I have actively been involved in that I have witnessed the death of was WAR, that limped along with no new content at all for ages before being shut down, then it was only because they lost the license to the IP.

Speaking of the license, I wonder if it is possible that a condition of the license is that they meet certain goals such as Gondor, Pelenor fields, Mordor or face losing it or a penalty. Perhaps that is why the rush? Probably not but I still think it will drag on for a while yet.

The only MMO I have actively been involved in that I have witnessed the death of was WAR, that limped along with no new content at all for ages before being shut down, then it was only because they lost the license to the IP.

That's possible about the license. But I'm not really aware of this rush people are referring to. SoM to Moria and Lothlorien took a couple of years. Then South Mirkwood, Enedwaith, Dunland a couple more. We've had Rohan in a few stages. Next we expect parts of Gondor as landscape additions, then presumably Minas Tirith. I don't know how quickly Osgiliath, Ithilien, Minas Morgul and Mordor might follow, but I'm not really aware of any rapid acceleration.

(OK if I had my way we'd add Northern Mirkwood, Dale, the Lonely Mountain etc. before heading South, but I know I'm in a minority there).

Turbine has broken a few too many promises. Not all their fault as they can't break iron with bare hands either. Basically WB has told Turbine to reduce staff on LOTRO and that has forced the team to reassess priorities.

Nothing wrong with that, it's a necessairy evil, but quite a few people don't disagree with the new priorities. Previous posters have stated quite a few reasons why.

I am one of them who disagrees with Turbine's new priorities for LOTRO. I've been patiently waiting for a housing update. It was scrapped. I understand it's a choice Turbine had to make. But it had the effect of me cancelling my subscription and not having logged on in one and a half month.

It has been a great couple of years. I'll say that. LOTRO has been awesome.