LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tui

Starting advice?

My sweetie and I are tired of our usual evening routine, which consists of the following: log on to TS, log on to LOTRO, do a quest or two in HD while we catch up on each other's day, whine for a bit about how stupid HD is and how there's nothing else to do, sometimes duo an old instance to remember what it used to feel like, log out.

My son thinks I'd be well-suited to SWTOR; my sweetie didn't like it, so I'm thinking Rift. I'll swing by their forums to get a feel for things, but for people who've made the switch from LOTRO to Rift, what are your impressions about what is easy or not so easy to adjust to? In LOTRO I tend to go for ranged dps (hunter and mini), and my sweetie is all tank. I'd love to hear what Rift classes people have enjoyed or not. Before LOTRO my only experience was original GW, so I'm really entrenched in how LOTRO works, so any tips for an old brain on anything particularly different that I should focus on learning would be appreciated!

Nice, thanks! Regarding SWTOR, it sounded to me like the story just didn't grab him enough to go very far into it (and he's a huge Star Wars fan so I thought that was odd, but I really know nothing about that game).

By way of introduction, the entire reason why I tried out Rift last year was due to my frustration with Turbine's boneheaded insistence to revamp classes so drastically; some people suggested Rift's trees as being "good," and I think they were right. My MMORPG experience was in both WoW and LotRO. I never thought of tree systems as flexible, but somehow Trion managed to do it decently. While you still end up min-maxing template builds for raiding/hardmode dungeons, in all other world content, Trion encourages players to experiment with their builds. Rift is a classic trinity MMORPG with the Fourth Role ("support"), and is TRUE free-to-play, so you should feel no pressure in just rolling a bunch of things and trying things out at your own pace. Keep in mind that Trion charges for new souls beyond vanilla Rift, because they don't charge for any content.

Note: There are two starter factions. The Guardian faction didn't interest me due to its description, and it seems that Defiant generally outnumber Guardian too, but starting with Storm Legion, these factions are essentially allied so it doesn't matter. But most Mathosia zones (old world) have Defiant/Guardian-specific quest hubs, FYI. There are "story quest," but they absolutely pale in comparison to what Turbine was able to output in the old days, so keep your expectations of truly immersive lore at a minimum. :) I do like a number of the story questlines myself, but the overall game polish and mechanics keep me interested. Quests tend to be one-off, after all.

So my first tip is to experiment with the classes. Well, they're "callings" but I still call them "classes" out of long habit between WoW and LotRO. Rift only has four callings, but each of them have many possible "soul" specialties (i.e. trees). You can pick ANY three soul trees to slot per your calling, and save that as a "role." And you can have multiple "roles" (e.g. "tank" with 2 tank souls and 1 DPS soul slotted) that you can switch into while out of combat.

At least one ranged DPS soul is available for all four classes. At least one tank soul is available for all classes. Same with healing. So you really go by feel and what type of basic archetype you might like. For ranged DPS, some souls have tanking/DPS pets to complement, or are DoT-based, or are AoE-based, or maybe you even like the animation/cast-time feeling of one over another, channeled vs. being able to kite, etc.

Rogue is a safe bet for you because the ranger soul has tank/DPS pets or other nice ranged souls and two support souls, the bard (like a mini) and the tactician (which I personally love). Your wife has a lot of choices for a tank; yes, even mage has a tank soul now. :P If she's tanked only in LotRO as a Guardian, then she can certainly just go for the classic Warrior.

I will say this---I had NEVER gotten all available game classes to cap before Rift, and I have 3 now (warrior, rogue, mage), with my cleric at 55, all of them with at 3-4 roles built. I find character build experimentation that fun. And I thought I'd hate the tempest soul for warrior based on the Youtube trailer, but that turns out to be one of my favorites now, go figure. So---experiment!

Content and fluff. Uh, there's A LOT. SO MUCH LOTS compared to LotRO. Festivals? Check. Cosmetics? Check. Crafting? Check. Free-form player housing? Check. Plenty of solo questing, dungeons, chronicles (1-2 man instances), raids, instant adventures, PvP, public zone events where you defend a whole zone against invasions and combine with other players in public raids to take down the final boss... Not to mention QoL things like being able to hop to any shard (server) just by clicking your portrait to participate in something elsewhere, MENTORING (freely lower your character's level a minimum of 5 levels to match lowbie content/leveling partner, etc.), much better mail and AH system than LotRO could ever hope for, and an in-game store that's not shoved into your face every two clicks.

But that's getting ahead of myself. I say start with choosing a faction, shard (well, but we can freely shard-hop, so not as critical), callings. :P I'm on Faeblight (the RP-PvE server) along with some others and am happy to help out in-game too. To be honest, Rift does mirror many aspects from WoW since it's a direct competitor, so it wasn't difficult for me to readjust at all. (I hate the WoW-style RNG crafting but still maxed my crafts anyway.)

First tips: Go over settings and disable guild auto-invites, marriage proposals, uncheck PvP autoflag so you can't accidentally hit a PvP-flagged cross-faction player and end up flagging yourself (if you're not into PvP, that is).

Hi,

Rift is great. I would pick Rogue, but don't go the Ranger path with a pet. Some really good ranged class option in ranger. Maybe Marksman.  Rogue gives you a bunch of nice class roles to try, and you can switch so you can have a marksman option when you want it.

I would also recommend Guardian, unless you care a lot about the story and want to try the other one. But ignoring the story a bit - I really like Guardian's starting zones and main city. IMO better than Defiant.

Other advice - there is a lot to learn, but none of it is too hard. You can just play and enjoy. Gearing is standard - vendors sell good gear by level. You probably don't need to craft, but can if it's fun. I do gather everything though as I play. Save a bit and then buy some bags on the auction. The collectables are fun but don't reward much, or they do but slowly. Still fun though - the shinies.

Casual PvP can be a blast, and playing ranged in the PvP is nice too. You don't need to be amazing - if you can enjoy the PvP they try it out. I had a lot of fun, but then I like (and suck at) low level PvP.

Instant adventures can help a lot to level fast when you want to.

Just start playing, and post any questions you have here.

Starting a ranger isn't good when you have a tanking partner, and the DPS pet isn't available until much higher in the ranger tree. Tui might like bard if he has a mini, but there's no reason not to poke at all of them (minus the tanking pet).

As for gear, you can get decent gear quite easily and "free" by participating in on-level zone events and earning the rift currencies for bartering, and filling in the blanks with quest items/crafted/landscape drops.

Goodness, I hate the main Guardian city. :P The inefficient layout drives me nuts. LOL

Nice, thanks! Regarding SWTOR, it sounded to me like the story just didn't grab him enough to go very far into it (and he's a huge Star Wars fan so I thought that was odd, but I really know nothing about that game).

The story part is extremely dependent on which class you play. There's a fairly stable agreement about the class stories from best to worst.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=211754&page=2

Of course there's individual differences, but it goes something like this:

Best -> Imperial Agent , Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter , Smuggler , Jedi Knight , Trooper , Jedi Consular <- Worst

So if he's been playing Consular and didn't like the story, then there's a good chance a different class will suit him better.

LOL Doro!

Thanks everyone for the advice! We'll pop in there over the next week or so and give it a try.

LOL Doro!

Thanks everyone for the advice! We'll pop in there over the next week or so and give it a try.

I'll give you my advice for what it's worth on the game overall.

No matter what class you roll the capabilities to be any role exist in all classes.  Except maybe Warrior as a Ranged DPS or a Mage as a Melee. 

If your "sweetie" likes tanking I have found lots of options in the Warrior class for tanking.  There are at least 3 soul trees useful for tanking.  I use a paladin/reaver build on my 53 Warrior.  But I've found it is better to be versitile.  I am currently taking my level 51 cleric to level 60.   I like the tank build I have now which is justicar/Shaman/Inquisitor.  It plays similar to warden to me.   The good thing about this toon is that when I need to switch to DPS or a healer I can.   I also have a Rogue that is more or less a wow style hunter.  Fun play but not my style.

The great thing is you can have multiple builds in game to switch on and off and experiment.  They can be bought with in game money and not gated behind some ridiculous blue shiny store token.

126fhjn.jpg

Other things I have learned:

1.  Pick up quests at the hubs before jumping into instant adventure as most can be completed while your group quest is in progress.  This accelerates leveling.

2.  Find the instant adventure tank and follow him.  Many times I'm sitting there tanking 8 mobs and no one is around to get the xp but me.  And it takes about 3 to 4 minutes for me to kill all of them. 

3.  Did I say use instant adventure after level 10?

4.  Dungeons award blue items EVERYTIME.  As soon as you hit the bottom level for an instance start running it to build up some blues.  I've had some of the blues last me 10 levels.   Also close rifts when you see others doing so.  I got a purple piece in Scarwood Reach that lastest me from level 32 until 50 from closing a rift there off of one of the mob drops.  Usually they drop vendor trash.  Also the currency earned from closing rifts can go toward your plannar essence.  (like a trinket expect you can add essences to it to increase stats)  Rift also drop essences.

I'm on Deepwood if that's the server you join and need advice.

I'll give you my advice for what it's worth on the game overall.

No matter what class you roll the capabilities to be any role exist in all classes. Except maybe Warrior as a Ranged DPS or a Mage as a Melee.

Nope, ALL classes/callings now have ALL role capabilities including support, though many are purchases*. For example, warrior has tempest as ranged and mage has harbinger melee, both Storm Legion expansion souls, and 2.7 (basically the 3.0 souls) added a healing soul to warrior and melee tanking soul to mage. (Yeah, don't ask, I have no idea how it works, but some people really love mage harbinger and it synergizes with that soul.)

*Edit to add: Unfortunately, Trion has not allowed individual soul purchases from the Storm Legion expansion nor for the 3.0 souls released in patch 2.7. Both sets are available only as complete bundles. :(

If your "sweetie" likes tanking I have found lots of options in the Warrior class for tanking. There are at least 3 soul trees useful for tanking. I use a paladin/reaver build on my 53 Warrior. But I've found it is better to be versitile. I am currently taking my level 51 cleric to level 60. I like the tank build I have now which is justicar/Shaman/Inquisitor. It plays similar to warden to me. The good thing about this toon is that when I need to switch to DPS or a healer I can. I also have a Rogue that is more or less a wow style hunter. Fun play but not my style.

STOP. Do NOT use the reaver for tanking. Trion is converting it to a DPS soul of some sort soon, possibly 2.8 (mage stormcaller is also getting an overhaul), and definitely by the time 3.0 hits, which means this year.

Cleric is a great option for tanking and is more "ranged tanking" in style than warrior, and I sometimes wish I rolled my main as cleric instead of warrior, but oh well; since Trion added a healing soul (paid) to warrior, I still have utility there. I don't believe the cleric class is getting major soul overhauls soon, but I could be wrong. Trion basically tweaks all the souls at one point or another, and with the coming side-development path coming in 3.0, who knows what will happen. I haven't been keeping up with the Rift class forums, but I really should. :P

The great thing is you can have multiple builds in game to switch on and off and experiment. They can be bought with in game money and not gated behind some ridiculous blue shiny store token.

Really, LotRO's version is mithril coin only? Ew.

Other things I have learned:

1. Pick up quests at the hubs before jumping into instant adventure as most can be completed while your group quest is in progress. This accelerates leveling.

2. Find the instant adventure tank and follow him. Many times I'm sitting there tanking 8 mobs and no one is around to get the xp but me. And it takes about 3 to 4 minutes for me to kill all of them.

3. Did I say use instant adventure after level 10?

IAs are recommended for power-leveling, not something I'd recommend a newbie to do consistently if they're more interested in figuring out the game as a whole unless they want to race to endgame for raiding. Because OP's primary experience was in LotRO, and people generally do NOT power-level in LotRO, I don't recommend they run a whole bunch of IAs. It's good to try, though, like how I'd recommend everyone should try the various zone events once (also for the achievements, if into that), as Rift is noted for that mechanic and content design.

Yes, you have 2 specs for starting out and each extra spec is 100 mithril coins.

So none of you have played Rogue? I really like it. Two nice DPS sub-classes, and a fun tank sub-class. In Rift you mix class abilities, so you can have any main sub-class and add in ranged DPS abilities. Rogue also has very nice solo-builds you can make - such as one with ranged DPS, and a heal on kill, and a power to let you quickly jump to the next enemy.

Rogue does not mean burglar or stealth-typed class in Rift. You can go this way, but there are 9 souls/paths you can use, such as pet DPS ranger, and each are pretty different - which is why you can make a nice tank as a rogue.

I have 3 capped characters and only my cleric isn't capped yet. My rogue is primarily mixes of Riftstalker (tank), Assassin (melee DPS with stealth), Tactician (ranged DPS and AoE support), Physician (healing). I always use tactician (AoE buffs, AoE HoTs) for zone events. Tactician and Physician are paid souls, though, separate bundles.

Nope, ALL classes/callings now have ALL role capabilities including support, though many are purchases*. For example, warrior has tempest as ranged and mage has harbinger melee, both Storm Legion expansion souls, and 2.7 (basically the 3.0 souls) added a healing soul to warrior and melee tanking soul to mage. (Yeah, don't ask, I have no idea how it works, but some people really love mage harbinger and it synergizes with that soul.)

*Edit to add: Unfortunately, Trion has not allowed individual soul purchases from the Storm Legion expansion nor for the 3.0 souls released in patch 2.7. Both sets are available only as complete bundles. :(

STOP. Do NOT use the reaver for tanking. Trion is converting it to a DPS soul of some sort soon, possibly 2.8 (mage stormcaller is also getting an overhaul), and definitely by the time 3.0 hits, which means this year.

Cleric is a great option for tanking and is more "ranged tanking" in style than warrior, and I sometimes wish I rolled my main as cleric instead of warrior, but oh well; since Trion added a healing soul (paid) to warrior, I still have utility there. I don't believe the cleric class is getting major soul overhauls soon, but I could be wrong. Trion basically tweaks all the souls at one point or another, and with the coming side-development path coming in 3.0, who knows what will happen. I haven't been keeping up with the Rift class forums, but I really should. :P

IAs are recommended for power-leveling, not something I'd recommend a newbie to do consistently if they're more interested in figuring out the game as a whole unless they want to race to endgame for raiding. Because OP's primary experience was in LotRO, and people generally do NOT power-level in LotRO, I don't recommend they run a whole bunch of IAs. It's good to try, though, like how I'd recommend everyone should try the various zone events once (also for the achievements, if into that), as Rift is noted for that mechanic and content design.

Apologies for not knowing any of this.

It may be because I'm spending more time in game.  I have yet to use the Rift forum one time.  I find when I enjoy a game I complain less and only visit forums for advice.  As it stands right now my Reaver spec still functions as a tank and I will use it until it is changed.  I only have like 15 points in it and I'm sure I could switch those to Void Kinight.  The last time I see anything talk about for Reaver is 1/30/2014.

I didn't suggest IA as something every one would like but something I like.  And I was able to figure out most parts of the game due to the actual useful tooltips in the soul tree and respecing several times to find out what I like.  Since I play tanks the only way to test these is within a group.  You will notice that section is titled things I like and nothing to do with advice as I am still a novice.  (no capped toons)  I do have 3 toons over level 50 though.  It took me a long time to decide what I wanted to do.  I knew 100% mage was not one of the things I would want to do.  This is why I rolled a warrior, rogue and cleric to test.    My first toon was a mage and I deleted that toon at level 18 because I just hated it.

The truth is the first 2 months of play time I spent more time dicking around with my soul trees than playing.  I am sticking with the cleric at this point I like the class alot.  Sadly I am stick messing with my souls trees.  Eventually I'll find one I like.

Thansk for the heads up on Reaver.  I can understand the developers reasoning when there are 4 tank souls.  I did like the options though.

No worries, I just wanted to make sure newbies knew that all their options are indeed open when it comes to classes---if they pay for some souls, which is a tough sell since they're not individually sold :/---and it comes down to playstyle nuances. Which also means experimentation is best for feeling things out.

As for reaver, I was enjoying my reaver/paladin cross for tanking too, but once I heard about the changes, I switched out. I was just starting to get attached, too! :( Paladin/Void Knight isn't working out so great for me, though, so I still have to experiment more; I believe Trion is working on tweaking Paladin/VK so that they're a bit more even in terms of physical-vs-magic mitigations (or something) and then choosing either will come down to playstyle instead of required soul for certain bosses.

Like you, I mess with my soul trees a whole lot. My cleric is still somewhat up in the air in 2 of her roles at level 55, but that's also because I bought the 2.7 souls and haven't figured out the support soul. I've spent tons of platinum respeccing, several times in a day sometimes. /nuts

Today is dimension day, though. :P

So none of you have played Rogue? I really like it. Two nice DPS sub-classes, and a fun tank sub-class. In Rift you mix class abilities, so you can have any main sub-class and add in ranged DPS abilities. Rogue also has very nice solo-builds you can make - such as one with ranged DPS, and a heal on kill, and a power to let you quickly jump to the next enemy.

Rogue does not mean burglar or stealth-typed class in Rift. You can go this way, but there are 9 souls/paths you can use, such as pet DPS ranger, and each are pretty different - which is why you can make a nice tank as a rogue.

Indeed, Rogue has a lot of fun options.

The tank spec is pretty fun.

The flamethrower spec is crazy overpowered for landscape stuff. *Crazy* overpowered.

The Nightstalker hybrid (Google "RIFT Grandpa said knock you out" ) and Bladedancer specs are also great fun.

I haven't tried the more hunter-like ranged specs.

The Nightstalker hybrid (Google "RIFT Grandpa said knock you out" )

That's the spec I use mainly for soloing (it's not great for group content but you can get by if you learn how to use it right) and so far I haven't found any solo content I can't do with it easily, and I can even tear through a couple of the two man chronicles solo using it too.

For dungeons I tend to switch between assassin (single target melee hell), nightstalker (aoe the more the merrier melee - can't abide bladedancer for some reason) and ranger (single target ranged DPS) depending on what's needed, some dungeons i'll switch between them three or four times, for raids I mainly bard unless we already have a bard in which case i'll use ranger.

LOL Doro!

Hope you enjoy Rift, Tui. I'm also in Faeblight server. My main is a rogue named Giftelle. I'm still a total noob, but enjoy the game thus far. BTW, I think the summerfest event is starting soon. Might be fun.:)

That's the spec I use mainly for soloing (it's not great for group content but you can get by if you learn how to use it right) and so far I haven't found any solo content I can't do with it easily, and I can even tear through a couple of the two man chronicles solo using it too.

I also use that build.

It is great and much faster than my `druidicar`cleric build when it comes to killing mobs but also a bit less resilient.

It needs the SL souls however with the tactitian which gives you the curative engine self heal with the 4 points. If you have the new souls then you can likely replace it with Physician but if you have neither I am not sure what would be best to use, maybe bard for the endurance boost.

However my rogue is still mid 50ies at this point and I have only my cleric at 60.

My sweetie and I are tired of our usual evening routine, which consists of the following: log on to TS, log on to LOTRO, do a quest or two in HD while we catch up on each other's day, whine for a bit about how stupid HD is and how there's nothing else to do, sometimes duo an old instance to remember what it used to feel like, log out.

My son thinks I'd be well-suited to SWTOR; my sweetie didn't like it, so I'm thinking Rift. I'll swing by their forums to get a feel for things, but for people who've made the switch from LOTRO to Rift, what are your impressions about what is easy or not so easy to adjust to? In LOTRO I tend to go for ranged dps (hunter and mini), and my sweetie is all tank. I'd love to hear what Rift classes people have enjoyed or not. Before LOTRO my only experience was original GW, so I'm really entrenched in how LOTRO works, so any tips for an old brain on anything particularly different that I should focus on learning would be appreciated!

Tui, I'm officially hooked on Rift now.  I have a level 25ish rogue on Wolfsbane (guardian).  There is a lot going on in game.  I was in in quicksilver doing some crafting when the entire area became overrun by mobs trying to take over the college--it was brilliant.  And here I thought I was going to craft and go to bed...oh no, Rift pulled me back into the fight.  Although I hate to say it...as I'm leveling up my toon and exploring the world and game mechanics...I can't help but say "why can't LOTRO do this" Sigh...oh well.

Heh, LotRO DID do it, ONCE, years ago, with the dreaded Amarthiel world event!

Except that Amarthiel was controlled by a real, live GM instead of a computer AI. She also had adds, which were probably AI-controlled.

She showed up once just outside the Rift after we had wiped on some boss - and kicked our asses again.

She also showed up in the Moors kicking both Creep and Freep butts.

The point being, you were never safe anywhere while that event was running.

An idea ahead of its time...which LotRO promptly dropped and never touched again.

Well we've only been playing about two weeks very sporadically, and this is my first weekend spent trying to figure out some of the systems. I really like it so far! I've died so many times, which is funny and refreshing. It's great, because I have a reason to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. I spent way too much time fishing yesterday, and I started crafting (just the basic gathering ones).

I decided to go for something completely different from the classes I've played in other games, for a totally fresh start. So I went for a Mage. I'm just messing around with the souls because I want to learn what they do and how they interact with each other, and right now I'm doing a warlock/necromancer/archon, which has been fun and seems to work well for what I've been doing so far. I normally don't like playing with pets, but being followed around by a skeleton is cute. I've only just hit level 15, so a long way from knowing what I'm doing, which is nice--the sense of exploration and 'what does this button do?' is great after so much LOTRO time spent saying 'ugh--didn't we just talk to these 6 people?'

We kept our LOTRO names, so we're Tuiliel and Eluridan on Faeblight if anyone ever wants to say hi.

The zone invasions are good fun, especially in the later zones. However they can be very annoying when you just want to do some questing and then bam the zone is flooded with mobs that you need help to kill

I'll add you to my friendslist, Tui. ;) Haven't been able to log on in almost a week or so due to work/interviews/prepping a move, but I'm itching to get back into game. Fortunately, a real F2P game means I don't feel like I've lost part of a sub when real life interrupts.

From what I understand, the old world zone events used to be much harder---in that the mobs would not DESPAWN, so people still had to stick around to clean up after an event just to get to NPCs. I kind of wish that would still happen, but I understand why Trion nerfed it, I suppose.