LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tui

Starting advice?

I thought Lotro was addictive, but Rift beats it hands down.  My Mage is level 33 and is running through Iron Pine Peak at the moment.  I must be crazy because I went with runecrafting, but I chose butchery and outfitter to help out with the mats--so far so good.

There is lots of things to love about this game and I must admit, I haven't logged into Lotro for quite a bit.  The guild I'm in is very active with at least over 30 folks online at peak times.  I'm traited for Summoner on my Mage...auto spending works best for me on the skills until I've played the class for a bit--I imagine I'll manually adjust some skills later on as I level up.  Good stuff, though :)

I'm guessing "Summoner" is one of the premade combos for Mage? I've never used the premade specs, but just know that you can totally customize which soul trees to slot and what points to spend as well, and that in itself can be addicting if you're into that.

Rift can't compete with LotRO in the lore department or quest writing, but LotRO does cheat in the former with 3rd party IP. :P

indeed cossieuk...i've ran across several dead wolves, etc. that folks were kind enough to leave behind for me to take the hides off of :)

You can mine certain mobs too, whether killed by you or other players. :P

Rift can't compete with LotRO in the lore department or quest writing, but LotRO does cheat in the former with 3rd party IP. :P

Indeed. If LOTRO were just some generic MMORPG, without the LotR IP to fall back on for their in-game storylines, it would be really, really bad. Rift is actually quite a good story overall, for a game working with their own, independent IP.

Just a quick update as my cleric has reached levl 60 last night!  I will include some screenshots later when I get home.  The last 10 levels were grindy.   Luckily I had some verteran XP potions in my bank that I got in a gift box (4 to be exact).  I went from busting out a level in 3 days to banging a level out in a couple hours.

I have a Warrior I have at level 55 that Iwill probably take to 60 in my free time.

Rift is the only game that managed to get me hooked after I needed to take a break from lotro. This break got longer...and longer...because rift was so enjoyable!

Minus the crafting. Crafting was awful.

Indeed. If LOTRO were just some generic MMORPG, without the LotR IP to fall back on for their in-game storylines, it would be really, really bad. Rift is actually quite a good story overall, for a game working with their own, independent IP.

I think Rift needs to hire a few decent writers who could create a few decent characters. The only interesting character I've met so far was the Hag in Gloamwood, and I killed her 30 minutes later. She had a story, some complexity. Every other Rift character so far has been quite one dimensional. Most of them are lunatics, fanatics or idiots. It's been very hard to relate to any of them.

I think Rift needs to hire a few decent writers who could create a few decent characters. The only interesting character I've met so far was the Hag in Gloamwood, and I killed her 30 minutes later. She had a story, some complexity. Every other Rift character so far has been quite one dimensional. Most of them are lunatics, fanatics or idiots. It's been very hard to relate to any of them.

Quoted for truth.  They just don't seem to have a grip on characterization or its importance from the standpoint of the player.  And that extends to location and dungeon characterization.  The chronicles do make an effort in this direction.