LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tui

Starting advice?

From what I understand, the old world zone events used to be much harder---in that the mobs would not DESPAWN, so people still had to stick around to clean up after an event just to get to NPCs. I kind of wish that would still happen, but I understand why Trion nerfed it, I suppose.

Yep, I remember that. Was a right pain to fail a major invasion at like midnight or something and have all the mobs staying around, which meant you were stuck and couldn't do anything. :P

I'll add you to my friendslist, Tui. ;) Haven't been able to log on in almost a week or so due to work/interviews/prepping a move, but I'm itching to get back into game. Fortunately, a real F2P game means I don't feel like I've lost part of a sub when real life interrupts.

From what I understand, the old world zone events used to be much harder---in that the mobs would not DESPAWN, so people still had to stick around to clean up after an event just to get to NPCs. I kind of wish that would still happen, but I understand why Trion nerfed it, I suppose.

That was before the Great Server Purge began, where Trion closed literally dozens of dead servers left abandoned from the game's initial launch. There were many very low population servers, and if a zone event wasn't defeated, the event mobs - including the elites and such - would just hang around and wait for some passersby to wander into the town they now controlled, and pummel them into paste. So now event mobs are on a timer. If they win, they might hang around for a little while, but eventually tire of the zone and return to their home dimension.

Having been on one of those very low pop servers the first year Rift was in operation, I can tell you it is MUCH better now.

Loth/MMOTroll: Yes, does sound like a generally user-friendly decision on Trion's part! Maybe an annual world event like LotRO's Amarthiel would be great, too bad I missed it in LotRO. Eh, I'll just wish for more zone events like Volan...

One thing I HATE about Rift crafting is that it's RNG-based exactly like WoW's. Nothing like gathering a crapton of mats with a rare ingredient and NOT gaining the skill point. Gah. It took me way too long to get fishing maxed too, because of that RNG.

One thing I HATE about Rift crafting is that it's RNG-based exactly like WoW's. Nothing like gathering a crapton of mats with a rare ingredient and NOT gaining the skill point. Gah. It took me way too long to get fishing maxed too, because of that RNG.

This. Plus far too many ingredients. Runecrafting is especially horrid. Rift's crafting sux imo. :P

Yeah, I was going to ask about that. LOTRO fishing advancement was RNG too, so I expected that, but I see that Rift also does that for crafting? I was making my low-level survivalist food and seeing that sometimes one item=one level, and other times, 6-7 items=no level. It's no big deal for me, since I'm just doing the gathering professions, but that may drive my sweetie insane as he tries to level armour and weapons crafting!

Speaking of crafting, how important will it be as we level up? In LOTRO I used my cooks and scholars a lot before RoR, barely touched anything else, and gave it all  up at Rohan because nothing crafted was of any use (except the occasional 1st/2nd ager, but by that time they were mostly unnecessary). I spent some time making dyes to sell on the AH and then realized that there was no longer anything to spend the gold on :F . Do people find that they use food, crafted weapons/armour, etc. as they progress, and is crafted gear an advantage over quest rewards? I want to make sure we're keeping up if it will be important later.

Yes, Rift's crafting system is essentially a clone of WoW's (er, unless Blizz changed anything since I left WoW so many years ago), certainly in the RNG sense, so you have to figure out which recipes to learn that use the fewest/easiest ingredients compared to others at the same tier and which are "orange" to have the highest chance of gaining a skill point. If you haven't experienced WoW's crafting, then it's best to find Rift crafting guides online (I'm sure there are some...).

As for importance... Crafting your own gear can be helpful while leveling up, as I think they're a bit better than same-level quest items (been a while since I checked, though), and if you're aware of various "empty" spots while leveling (e.g. cleric shields), or try to use the augments AND runecrafting to keep the stats abreast of other gear sources. And you can make some money if you're patient enough to "play" the AH. There's nothing wrong in starting to accumulate gold/plat while lowbie because there are certain things you may want to buy at cap (like a crafted epic ingredient used to craft a top-level gear piece, or a level 60 mount) that go for a fair bit of plat, not to mention people who are rolling in plat would probably prefer to buy alt gear off the AH out of laziness. Another segment of crafted items to market would be dimension items. In general, consumables like food and even potions aren't used often at all while leveling. But it's not critical at all to craft lowbie gear because between quest rewards and blue/purple world gear vendors (for zone events), you're covered in multiple ways.

On the other hand, cap crafted items for certain slots have a decent market, including consumables (food, runes, etc.). If you're going to be raiding, there are certain top-level items gotten through crafting plus raid drop, on a long cooldown. If you're not going to be raiding, at cap you'll be getting most of your gear through the world/dungeon vendor purchases, or pvp if you're into that, but if you don't want to spend a lot of time farming zone events and carnage quests for currency to get the world barter gear, you can still craft yourself a blue/purple set at 60 as well. Multiple ways of doing it.

Despite my annoyance with the RNG-based design, I personally still try to max my crafting because I'm a completist that way.

Loth/MMOTroll: Yes, does sound like a generally user-friendly decision on Trion's part! Maybe an annual world event like LotRO's Amarthiel would be great, too bad I missed it in LotRO. Eh, I'll just wish for more zone events like Volan...

I was playing LOTRO when Amarthiel was running around. My character was in the North Downs, near the path that leads to Angmar (farming Wargs for skins, ir I recall correctly), and she showed up and one-shotted me. Hit me from behind, so I didn't see her coming, and someone else in zone chat had to let me know why I was suddenly at the Rez Circle.

The whole thing was a major annoyance. World events in Rift are significantly better than that was.

Hell, it was still the case less than a year ago (2.4-2.5 -ish), as far as I remember. I remember having quest hubs with a hundred or more mobs parked on them, and attacking one mob would pull ALL of them. Also, they respawned after some period of time if you didn't take out the shrine or temple or whatever they were guarding.

They did add a stacking debuff on some mobs spawned that eventually made them one-shottable after a while.

Hell, it was still the case less than a year ago (2.4-2.5 -ish), as far as I remember. I remember having quest hubs with a hundred or more mobs parked on them, and attacking one mob would pull ALL of them. Also, they respawned after some period of time if you didn't take out the shrine or temple or whatever they were guarding.

They did add a stacking debuff on some mobs spawned that eventually made them one-shottable after a while.

I've gotten owned a few times thinking it was regular Invaders.   After getting hit once or twice, there was a lot of running for my life, which most times was not successful.  And that was just this week.

I believe there was actually a zone event bug at some point in the past year where mobs from certain events would not despawn; I distinctly remember in Shimmersand doing an Air event that couldn't be completed because there were far too many Death invaders from the previous event, which apparently prevented Air invaders from spawning due to a mob cap (didn't think there was such a thing). I had to get on my capped main and mow down the Death invaders just to let the Air event progress. :P

Do specific shards go down, while others remain open? I've got kicked out of Gelidra twice today but the other shards are open to me?

There has been some server instability, and Trion did take down the shards once today to apply a hotfix. 2.8 wasn't little...

I know one of the hotfixes was to fix a gaping exploit for unlimited plat from the AH interface. :P Heh heh heh. Ahhh, so much AH angst (see the 2.8 thread in this subforum for THAT fun).

Geez, my first day of unemployment and I can't play because every 5 minutes Faeblight is unavailable. This game sucks!

Ok, perspective.

But seriously, every freakin time I wanted to not think about not being able to pay my rent, it said 'hey guys, we're offline in 5'. ARGH!!!

Yeah, I just got kicked off while in the middle of closing a rift. :P Hope that didn't kill me. I wonder if porting to another shard would avoid that? Hmm.

You guys are making me want to switch servers.

While I'm enjoying the game, I feel disconnected from the playerbase on Deepwood.  Maybe because I'm still leveling?  (57)   Maybe because I'm still learning.  

Don't forget you can easily switch shards from your portrait. :D Hm, I'm not sure what the point of the home shard is, to be honest.

You guys are making me want to switch servers.

While I'm enjoying the game, I feel disconnected from the playerbase on Deepwood.  Maybe because I'm still leveling?  (57)   Maybe because I'm still learning.  

Well anytime you want to help two noobs on Faeblight who are suffering from post-LOTRO-syndrome and other RL craziness, feel free to hang out with us!

Hey, I can help too! >:P Just send a tell/game mail/post here. And I have all classes and roles covered except my cleric is still 55. Well, though you guys are Guardian so I can't advise on specific quests or anything.

Huzzah for mentoring!

Oh wait, but I'm doing the big move this month. /sigh -_- Spotty.

Hey, I can help too! > :P Just send a tell/game mail/post here. And I have all classes and roles covered except my cleric is still 55. Well, though you guys are Guardian so I can't advise on specific quests or anything.

Huzzah for mentoring!

Thanks so much for the bags Tril! I was about to spend dollars on the game before life happened. The gift was so very much appreciated.

You're welcome. :) By the way, with the 2.8 AH listing fee fiasco, crafting stuff for yourself may be more worthwhile as AH activity may drop significantly for the foreseeable future; I wouldn't attempt to sell anything until the dust has settled and Trion figures how much the fees should be.

The only crafting I'm not maxed in are weaponsmith, artificer (working on this), survival, but I can advise/donate some other stuff otherwise.

Thanks so much for the bags Tril! I was about to spend dollars on the game before life happened. The gift was so very much appreciated.

I make those too if your "sweetie" needs one.  I just have to farm some mats.

Hey, I can help too! > :P Just send a tell/game mail/post here. And I have all classes and roles covered except my cleric is still 55. Well, though you guys are Guardian so I can't advise on specific quests or anything.

Huzzah for mentoring!

I have a toon on the other side.  A rogue but I grew tired of him.  Now he just makes Lazan bags.