LOTROCommunity
kitkat

Now we know - 2-3 days is what they're aiming for

My God, Turbine has become absolutely shameless:

European Account Migration

Limited Time Offer - Get a Year Long Subscription for Just £79.99

Sign up for a 12-Month Reoccurring Subscription plan at an incredible new low price and receive 500 Turbine Points per month. Offer available for a limited time!

Is there anything they can't use as an excuse?

But then, I guess that giant advertisement is only about half the size of the actual announcement. 7(8)7

Edited by Spheric

2-3 days... do we dare trust them on that? cause that puts them right at the weekend... and then you could be like me and wonder what this "migration" will entail.. obviously usernames etc... but then how can we trust that, if we have to choose a different username, that all our characters and data won't just.... vanish

I've just re-asked the question if we have to pay VAT or not. Thats a good deal that they have going but then I have 2 lifetime accounts and dont need more!.

Anyone else thing 2-3 days is very optamistic?

2 - 3 "working" days is what they probably meant,

and what with the fact that there are probably some birthdays amongst the team,

and pets birthdays too,

and days off to go to graduation of the nephew of the son of the third cousins great grandmother,

meaning that these are not actual "working" days,

it might be a bit longer in real "solar" days..

but probably no more than 20 or 30.... >:)

No, 2-3 days ought to be about right if they're going to be thorough & careful. I suspect that in their plan, they expect it to be 2 days; the third day is their contingency day if any serious problems arise.

The question isn't whether the timescale is optimistic; it's whether you think Turbine are sufficiently competent & professional to be able to plan & execute the changeover properly!

The question isn't whether the timescale is optimistic; it's whether you think Turbine are sufficiently competent & professional to be able to plan & execute the changeover properly!

Have you been on their forums? :F

2-3 days... do we dare trust them on that? cause that puts them right at the weekend... and then you could be like me and wonder what this "migration" will entail.. obviously usernames etc... but then how can we trust that, if we have to choose a different username, that all our characters and data won't just.... vanish

We appear to have little choice. If we want to continue playing we have to go with their systems and hope for the best. I'm sure they'll have tested things thoroughly, we just have to hope they have people standing by for the inevitable problems that a large project like this is going to run into.

I'm wondering if they're hoping to get it ready for people to use by the weekend...hope they're not rushing things...personally I'd prefer to be offline over the weekend and get a trouble free transfer than have it rushed through and end up with a mess.

We appear to have little choice. If we want to continue playing we have to go with their systems and hope for the best. I'm sure they'll have tested things thoroughly, we just have to hope they have people standing by for the inevitable problems that a large project like this is going to run into.

I'm wondering if they're hoping to get it ready for people to use by the weekend...hope they're not rushing things...personally I'd prefer to be offline over the weekend and get a trouble free transfer than have it rushed through and end up with a mess.

seconded!

Have you been on their forums? :F

No. How long do you think I'd last? ;)

I would have expected this to take longer. I guess the EU server copies are already test running. But moving thousands of accounts is the icky part.

if we have to choose a different username

Errr... that raises a question. Are usernames also used as forum names? Reading your post made me think, "no worries, my username is so silly and long, it surely won't be taken". But I really, really, really (!) would not want that as forum or myLotrO name. And not just for security reasons. Bad enough, that I'll be losing my "Undo". :O

Edited by Undo

As a Yank, I plead the fifth.

On an EU server? Talking to an Englishman? "You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence..." ;)

But moving thousands of accounts is the icky part.

Not really. It's just a bunch of data in a database. Just like the rest of the game. In fact the account data is probably a rather smaller database than the one holding the character details with tables of possessions, quests done, deeds done, titles, blah, etc.

Edited by Raedwulf

On an EU server? Talking to an Englishman? "You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence..." ;)

Yeah, but I'm a "By God American!" Our rules apply everywhere, right? (Of course I'm joking, but I sure wish it were easier to laugh.) :x

• Upvote 1

Not really. It's just a bunch of data in a database. Just like the rest of the game. In fact the account data is probably a rather smaller database than the one holding the character details with tables of possessions, quests done, deeds done, titles, blah, etc.

Ah, yes, I meant the account and all the characters within. Just look at how long it took to run a simple script on all accounts, rewarding the accumulated free points during the transfer to F2P.

You're allowed to laugh over here in Europe. Usually. Especially at yourself. :*)

any objections to a Canadian on EU servers? rofl, is where I've always played :-) prefer it actually! (I'm half British if that counts for anything...)

Yeah, but I'm a "By God American!" Our rules apply everywhere, right? (Of course I'm joking, but I sure wish it were easier to laugh.) :x

I'll laugh for you. That was really rather good. Almost an English sense of humour there! :Y;)

any objections to a Canadian on EU servers?

No objections to anyone, m'dear chap. Just this notion of hiding behind the Ameican Constitution. When in Rome... (Hey! It's part of the EU too! ;))

No objections to anyone, m'dear chap. Just this notion of hiding behind the Ameican Constitution. When in Rome... (Hey! It's part of the EU too! ;))

lol! oh I wish there were a female form of "chap"...

There is "chapesse" but I've never seen it in use and frankly it sounds silly.

any objections to a Canadian on EU servers? rofl, is where I've always played :-) prefer it actually! (I'm half British if that counts for anything...)

As long as I don't meet Justin Bieber on my Server I'll be all good ;)

Hmmm they're not putting up lifetime but I have to say very good price for 12 months if the VAT is included in that hmm

Honestly aswell I do think they'll take more the 2-3s day maybe 3-4 or 5 at most but think it'll be okay.

I also think it'll be a bit laggy at first but we'll have to see.

any objections to a Canadian on EU servers?

And on a German server, too. You, sir, are an odd one. Sauron should have an eye on you!

lol! oh I wish there were a female form of "chap"...

Maybe Chappi? Ok, that's a famous German brand of dog food. But who would ever know.... clown.gif *runs*

Hmm, there's lads and lasses. Or gals? But, yes, it will be interesting to see if European humour, in all its wonderful varieties, will get a chance in the US. Playing in a kin with English, German, Danish, ... made for good laughs and even better learning/understanding of those differences. It may not be liked, but at least lengthen the leash before warnings come in.

I'm doubtful, though. When I lived in the US I was almost kicked out by my gfriend, when I dropped a perfectly humorous and innocent line about her. For some very odd reason none of her family could laugh about it either. They actually thought I was serious. confused.gif

As long as I don't meet Justin Bieber on my Server I'll be all good ;)

Thank God we don't have to take responsibility for that! Or at least we don't have to cop to our responsibility. >:)