LOTROCommunity

Can't find the other thread about this game.

Anyone else playing? I think Laur. you said you were.

I suck at this game. Not newbie suck, but suck as in no advanced skill or knowledge. Haven't learned all the types of deck, so am a bit lost. 

Then I discovered Murloc Warlock decks. So having a lot of fun today.

Pretty fun casual game. The voices each time you play a card are hilarious and brilliant. It's good to be an ex-WoW player too - to get the jokes. I think i have spent about $12 so far on arena games. The arena is killing me. I can only get 2 or maybe 1 win - although once I got a great Druid deck and got 5 wins.

I so appreciate Blizzard for making a good game - good design, very well made, fun, smart. Some very smart people worked to design this game.

I play off and on. Mainly with the girlfriend. My brother plays it daily. He's a lot better than me :P

It's a pretty fun game, and something nice to relax to. Say what you will about Blizzard, but their developers aren't idiots and they're quite capable of producing something enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

I'm totally hooked on it, I dont know if I suck but I'm no master either, I managed rank 12 last season but that was mostly through a lucky run toward the end of the month. So far I have spent < £5 on it, 100 gold for new cards can be gained in two days just from daily quests and win streaks. The money I did spend was because I was drunk and fancied a few arena rounds when I was out of gold.

It's slightly annoying the grind - or time needed - to get the good cards. It will take months of play - since every day or two you might get five new cards, and have a quite small chance of getting one of the good rare cards.

The game is addictive. It's a rare game that will get me to spend $2.00 a few times on it - when this is optional. They set it up right. It's a $2.00 to try your skill (and luck) at some decent prizes.

Just curious, what classes/type of decks are you all playing?

I only managed to get to rank 17 so far, but I have a decent Warlock Murloc (trump) deck right now. I also prefer mage.

... I managed rank 12 last season but that was mostly through a lucky run toward the end of the month. 

Just curious, what classes/type of decks are you all playing?

I only managed to get to rank 17 so far, but I have a decent Warlock Murloc (trump) deck right now. I also prefer mage.

When I first started I just went with this suggested hunters deck

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=532/all-basic-hunter-deck

Since then I have stuck with the basic idea of a beastrush deck but I've built on that deck and swapped out some stuff for better cards.

Hunter or Mage are the classes I am playing most. I play more of a control deck when using Mage.

It is very fun as a casual game, although I would say it lacks the depth of Magic: the Gathering.

In my experience, a lot of games between experienced players with decent decks come down to who top-decks their "I win" card first. Maybe it's different at the highest levels.

I play a Shaman deck, so my "I win" card is Bloodlust (playing both copies on the same turn is rather amusing):

CS2_046.png

This guys also helps sometimes:

EX1_298.png

I always played Blue/White control decks in M:tG, so I tried to set up something a little similar that plays defensively early and then counter-attacks big after the enemy has run out of resources.

As a "beer and pretzels" game, I do think it's very well designed. The "disenchant" feature allows you to get a few cards of your choice pretty easily.

EX1_298.png

That card is so OP. Unless you can deal with it immediately or silence it then it's game over. Always worth keeping back some kind of minion removal spell around just to deal with cards like that, something like polymorph for a mage.

My mage usually has some good ways to deal with a card like that fortunately.

This is the only legendary card I have so far:

Baron_Geddon%28539%29.png

I have to figure out a deck that can use it - which will not be easy for me, being new to the game.

I have 2 of these too:

Molten_Giant%2894%29.png

I use those giants in my mage deck, basically a control deck I try to keep the other guys minions and damage down enough until I can get more mana. Once I hit 7 or 8 mana I start attacking in the hope that they have wasted a load of there good cards, if I take too much damage I can pull out two of those giants and often turn the game around.

That legendary is good for AoE damage where the opponent has a lot of low health minions, quite situational though.

• Upvote 1

How is Magic TG online? Similar? Fun?

MTG is more in-depth and I hate to say it, but I do enjoy it more.  However that's just on the gameplay side of things.  Wizards have really struggled to make a decent online version.  MTGO still looks like it's 10 years old and to be honest I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole as it's not very new player friendly either.  MTG duels of the planeswalkers is a steam game version which is better, but isn't supported very well (or at all) after release.  That being said, I think the new version which releases in a few days is $10 on steam so it's not as if it's going to cost you an arm and a leg to try it out.

• Upvote 1

MTG is more in-depth and I hate to say it, but I do enjoy it more.  However that's just on the gameplay side of things.  Wizards have really struggled to make a decent online version.  MTGO still looks like it's 10 years old and to be honest I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole as it's not very new player friendly either.  MTG duels of the planeswalkers is a steam game version which is better, but isn't supported very well (or at all) after release.  That being said, I think the new version which releases in a few days is $10 on steam so it's not as if it's going to cost you an arm and a leg to try it out.

The new beta client for MTGO that's about to be released is pretty horrible as well. I don't know how they can produce something like that whilst things like Hearthstone come out. My boyfriend is.. or more was a sort of hardcore Magic player (streams it from time to time) but he's gotten so irritated with the client that he refuses to invest more money into it. And other well known players are also getting fed up with it.. criticism is growing.

I very much agree with it not being new player friendly either.. the exactly opposite of Hearthstone.

I've found the new MtG Online client is perfectly serviceable, but it will not win any awards for slick/modern design.

Remember that they probably have 20+ times as many cards to support as Hearthstone, and the complexity of interaction between some mechanics is mind-boggling. Also, they have to implement a new set including hundreds of cards every ~3-4 months.

MtG Online is interesting in that they still seem to attract an enormous number of players to a very old and extremely expensive game. And the barrier to entry for new players to the core game (as opposed to the Dual of the Planeswalkers console version) is very high.

There is a nearly free to play trial version, I think, where you can play with a limited set of cards they give you, against other trial players.

To play the "real" game, you need to pay $10 for a license (I think), and acquire cards.

A pack of 15 cards (all but one of which - the rare - are essentially trash) costs $4. There is a thriving, but clunky, secondary market for cards, where you can buy event tickets from the game for real money (essentially in-game currency) and use them to buy cards from player-run trading bots. Prices tend to mirror those for physical cards in brick-and-mortar stores - a rare in high demand may cost the equivalent of $30-40 or more. Of course, you can also sell rares to these bots for tickets as well.

The life-cycle of a card for the primary competitive format is two years. If you manage to acquire copies of every card in a given set, you can redeem them for a set of the equivalent physical cards (which you could then theoretically sell for real money).

If you are good enough to consistently win tournaments, you can essentially play for free by winning packs and then selling/trading them. On the other hand, if you enter tournaments as a new player (which costs event tickets and in some cases un-opened packs), you are essentially guaranteed to lose (due to inexperience), and are basically subsidizing the winners' game-play in return for your entertainment.

It's been a while since I dabbled in MtG:O, so some of the above may be dated.

• Upvote 1

So is it expensive to play MtG online? I was hoping it would be free like Hearthstone.

Mtg online will end up being expensive.  Duels would be the better option, especially for a starter player as the base game will only be $10, but no version is 'free' like hearthstone.

Cool - good to know.

Meanwhile back in Hearthstone, my lower budget warloc murlock deck seems to do really well against the other warlock murloc decks that have all the special murlocs in them. Quite fun to crush players with "better" murlocs in their decks.

I've found the new MtG Online client is perfectly serviceable, but it will not win any awards for slick/modern design.

Remember that they probably have 20+ times as many cards to support as Hearthstone, and the complexity of interaction between some mechanics is mind-boggling. Also, they have to implement a new set including hundreds of cards every ~3-4 months.

I can't speak to the functionality of it (though I frequently hear my bf getting irritated with it) but the actual graphical design of it is just horrid. They've such lovely art on the cards, you'd think they could use some the art talent they source to make something look better.

So is it expensive to play MtG online? I was hoping it would be free like Hearthstone.

Well.. I know of one streamer who sold his online collection a little while ago for around $5k.. yes, that's $5,000. If you'd want to be able to compete with others, it wouldn't be a cheap endeavour.

If you want to play online Magic for cheap, go with the Steam game.

Prices tend to mirror those for physical cards in brick-and-mortar stores - a rare in high demand may cost the equivalent of $30-40 or more.

$100 or more. :/

The life-cycle of a card for the primary competitive format is two years.

For standard, yeah. There's also Modern, Legacy and Vintage which cover more years (aside from banned cards.)

On the other hand, if you enter tournaments as a new player (which costs event tickets and in some cases un-opened packs), you are essentially guaranteed to lose (due to inexperience), and are basically subsidizing the winners' game-play in return for your entertainment.

This. Honestly the best way to get started in Magic and probably the way a lot of people have, is to start playing with crappy paper cards in real life with your friends and then get to the point where you like it enough to want to invest in the online game (or paper for RL tournaments) and have some prospects of winning. I know that's how my boyfriend and all his friends got started... back when they were 12 or so. :P

EX1_298.png

So annoying, I was winning a game last night, heshe only had 4HP left, I still had 26HP. I had one minion on the board, something with threat but nothing amazing and he had two minions, I forget what, however I had no cards left in my hand. Either way I was only 2 moves away from a win (hunter hero power does 2 damage to the hero). Heshe then pulls out this card and wins the game in 2 turns... The moral of this story, don't leave yourself with no cards just because it looks like you can't possibly lose now!