LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
SNy

Turbine Dictionary of Contemporary English

Welcome to the forum - this is a masterpiece!  And recognizing that everything in this dictionary is true underlines the whole absurdity of the events... 

How did Chris on LOTRO Reporter used to pronounce it - was it Hyute-bold?  It always sounded like he was coughing up a lung.

When pronouncing Rohirric names I go by using Old English pronunciation, and Chris's 'hyute-bold' nails it. The short "y" was like the German ü umlaut, but eventually started to be also used as a short "i" like in 'will'.  (sorry for pedantism)

p.s. @ warspeech: took me a while to spot the pun in your forum title - nice!

Hey again,

thank you for you kind words and praise, I am also quite fond of the thing, if I may say so myself. :)

I have edited it now (took another 3 hours or somesuch) and added some of your contributions (modified them, though, I hope you're OK with what I came up with, if not, PM!).

Please, keep them coming, especially regarding the Mithril Coin reference, I have no idea what that means (stopped playing after reading the first pages of the HD NDA Drop thread).

Please note that my intention is to use the very terms and phrases that are common on the OF (which is why I added the Turbined quote as a link) to make them see what kind of utter shenanigans they are actually putting in there. Blunt and honest, and brutally so, see.

SNy

The mithril coin thing was a Helm's Deep beta discussion.  To make a long story short (and I wouldn't be able to do justice to it as well as Fredelas already has - see Trilwych's post below for his version) the travel to NPC cost was raised significantly for quests in Helm's Deep and when people complained on the forums, Sapience said "it was Fredelas' idea" in this post:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?531545-FIVE-mithril-coins-FIVE&p=7006975#post7006975

Also, we have a whole thread on it here:

I recommend it to everyone who is new here, it's one of our better ones.

After reading that massively article on mithril coins, I think the better term to be added to the dictionary is "classy", with a reference to the "stay classy, Turbine!" remark in there to show Turbine's interpretation of the word.

Hey again,

thank you for you kind words and praise, I am also quite fond of the thing, if I may say so myself. :)

I have edited it now (took another 3 hours or somesuch) and added some of your contributions (modified them, though, I hope you're OK with what I came up with, if not, PM!).

I like your interpretation even better! :)

I think you should add a definition for the term "by popular demand" or "due to overwhelming player feedback".

Turbine has occasionally used these phrases in its patch notes to signify changes that very few serious players would ever ask for.

I think you should add a definition for the term "by popular demand" or "due to overwhelming player feedback".

Turbine has occasionally used these phrases in its patch notes to signify changes that very few serious players would ever ask for.

Like "Stop making expansions, FFS!"

Or "Yes, we want apparel dummies pointing to the store in every single quest hub across Middle Earth." Maybe that one wasn't from "overwhelming" feedback, but Turbine definitely said players suggested it.

True, I was thinking about that while editing earlier. But I have been fixing and improving for too long today, I need a break.

I also need to refine the CM part with the new information regarding this Mithril coin business.

As I said, if there are any cool ideas you guys want to share, please do so.

SNy

I've got a few based on the above.

This one has 2 meanings.

ask   /ask/  verb

The act of having some entity put words into other individuals, or groups mouths.

"The players asked us for no further expansions and we said wish granted!"  (And later that year added 10 new levels to grind and everything a normal expansion has except proper group content)  see update

How about that yellow banner on the O board.  There's a few words on there worth defining. 

respectful  /riˈspektfəl/  adjective

Any ideas or opinions that neither point out or make mention of any negative aspects other than to discredit them.

welcoming  /ˈwelkəm-ng/   verb 

Any environment where a group of chosen individuals is allowed to discredit and taunt others to the breaking point of sanity with impunity.  This is done by baiting, and adding subliminal digs into forum posts directed at those deemed as "undesirables". 

producer's letter  noun

something released annually or semi annually that details the decline of an MMO. 

"Live" producer  noun/title

Someone who will not be receiving his christmas bonus this year.  Stirs up old emotions in a community by creating a feedback thread. 

Feedback Thread  noun

A thread that is only aloud to exist for a certain period of time.  Said period is decided by CM.   Said feedback thread is then discredited by CM.  The thread only represents "a small portion of the community (ie 400 replies even assuming each response to be a unique person is a very tiny number compared to the entire playerbase)"

Expansion  noun

A large content update (see update) with group elements included.  Also includes a new gimmick that get added with poor implementation .   ie:  Legendary items,   mounted combat, Epic Battles

Update  noun

A small content addition which includes everything an expansion has except proper group content and endgame elements

According to Sapience:

words (n pl)

A string of language units that carry neither meaning nor intent. ()

A post on another thread by Trilwych made me think of this one:

"can't do justice to" = lack resources to implement.

Sapience [sap] noun

Ability to apply knowledge or experience or understanding or common sense and insight.

See also: Irony.

See also: Words in TDoCE which are self antonyms.

Usage: "It's not what you say but how you say it". In TDoCE "how you say it" terminology Sapience should be said as a self antonym.

HI SNy

Wonderful post!

Made a permanent copy to my tablet, so I can refer to it when I want a laugh.

A couple of ideas for additions

Housing Update/ Housing Update suggestions thread.

Players Council

Cheers,

CrankyCat

Another one that seems to get used excessively (especially by Horse Dev) is 'prototyping'.... I especially remember it being used a few times in relation to the housing update. I think Turbine devs like it because it covers all manner of sins and sounds like they have done quite a bit of development work. In reality they could have just writtem a single line of code but by saying they are prototyping ideas they technically arent lying. 

Another one that seems to get used excessively (especially by Horse Dev) is 'prototyping'.... I especially remember it being used a few times in relation to the housing update. I think Turbine devs like it because it covers all manner of sins and sounds like they have done quite a bit of development work. In reality they could have just writtem a single line of code but by saying they are prototyping ideas they technically arent lying. 

Or they could've drawn stick figures on a whiteboard and called it a day.

Most certainly one of the best "Turbine dictionaries" of all time.

Amazing how such a great game has fallen into utter chaos and disrepair.

R.I.P. Shadows of Angmar era LotRO!

Most certainly one of the best "Turbine dictionaries" of all time.

Amazing how such a great game has fallen into utter chaos and disrepair.

R.I.P. Shadows of Angmar era LotRO!

Yep, RIP in peace.

• Upvote 1

I hold out hope someone is able to maintain a private LotRO server after Turbine's lights go out and their LotRO label floats into space. Now that would be cool as Hell to play on a private LotRO server where its owner can establish a LotRO its players want.

Shadows of Angmar LotRO was so good I thought LotRO itself would last forever.  Boy... did that change...

For those not familiar with year one LotRO (Shadows of Angmar)... the gameplay itself was actually challenging.  NPCs/mobs weren't dumbed down... the instances absolutely rocked  (Carn Dum (5 man), Uru'garth (5 man), Barad Gularan (5 man), Rift (raid), Helegrod (raid))... crafting was FUN... there were no skirsmishes... there as no Turbine store... and the only grind was for the virtues/deeds.  Nowadays... it's all about grind this... grind that... grind here... grind there... oh... and don't forget to give us your cash... Yours Truly, Turbine.

Hey,

I am in the process of adding some new entries, started with "powered by our fans".

Still working on "listening to players" and "by popular player request/suggestion/demand".

However, for the latter one, my search-fu seems busted.

If someone could help out with one or two spot-on quotes that highlight what Fredelas suggested earlier (ie: "popular" request for something a serious player would never ask for), I would be grateful.

I seem to remember that it was thrown about lots in the developer IRC/Twitter chats, but my short search has not turned up anything really good.

Thanks,

SNy

Hey,

I am in the process of adding some new entries, started with "powered by our fans".

Still working on "listening to players" and "by popular player request/suggestion/demand".

However, for the latter one, my search-fu seems busted.

If someone could help out with one or two spot-on quotes that highlight what Fredelas suggested earlier (ie: "popular" request for something a serious player would never ask for), I would be grateful.

I seem to remember that it was thrown about lots in the developer IRC/Twitter chats, but my short search has not turned up anything really good.

Thanks,

SNy

Hey SNy, been looking at some of your posts on the OF (I assume that is you anyway).  Good stuff.  I'm noticing a trend that when folks like Crossbow and Fyrebrand are  faced with actual logic (and sometimes their own hypocrisy) they tend to disappear into the shadows...at least temporarily.

• Upvote 1