LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
honvik

So how many of you have met up offline?

I've seen it before, heard it and wondered how many of you have met offline? As a guy who likes and enjoys 'networking' I keep trying to up my game on our own little kin meets (recent one was attended by 16 of us). So bar the official CM meet has anyone had gatherings?

I wonder if it would be cool if Turbine are going to Gamescom to arrange a 'meet up' at the event?

I've seen it before, heard it and wondered how many of you have met offline? As a guy who likes and enjoys 'networking' I keep trying to up my game on our own little kin meets (recent one was attended by 16 of us). So bar the official CM meet has anyone had gatherings?

I wonder if it would be cool if Turbine are going to Gamescom to arrange a 'meet up' at the event?

My kinship is made up entirely of real life friends and people I know from other games. Some of us started out playing Unreal Tournament together back in 1999, sticking together in FPS games (UT/UT2K4/UT3/Q3A/COD/COD4/BF/BF2/CS) until around 2006 when we expanded into MMOs. Right now we're spread out across about a dozen games, (including LOTRO) and many of us have max level characters in at least 4 or 5 different MMOs. (I have 36 level capped characters across 8 games, including my four level 65s in LOTRO) It's really kind of nice to be able to login to other games, hang out with friends and run dungeons to break the monotony that sometimes builds up.

Over the years our group has gathered a couple of times for small regional get togethers, and finally last year I hosted a nationwide (US and Canada) get together at my home in Seattle with 22 of our girls attending. (We're an all female gaming clan/guild/kinship) Unfortunately our numbers are dwindling and pale in comparison to the days when GameTracker.com rated us in the top 10 gaming groups in the world.(Out of over 40k groups)

If everything goes well, I hope to host another get together early next year, possibly in Denver or Orlando.

Met up with quite a few of my former kinnies in real life and had a blast, made some good friends and keep in touch with them :) Hope to do the same with my new kinnies in the future B)

Met up with quite a few of my former kinnies in real life and had a blast, made some good friends and keep in touch with them :) Hope to do the same with my new kinnies in the future B)

If you are buying the drinks Taff... :Y

As I'm in an international kin we're spread all over Europe. Some are RL friends and colleagues, though we haven't had any official kin moot. But I have started visiting those various pockets of playful minds. Been to Bath last year, pub crawling with a handful. Had a great time in Iceland with a fellow kinnie showing me around. I think Sweden is next on my travel list, and there's so many more places to head to.

I love being in an international kin! And so far it's been a blast meeting my fellow mates offline. They're just like I've got to know them online. Only without the raid locks... and with slightly fewer hobbits. :D

Nice replies :)

We had someone fly in from Germany, Estonia, Netherlands, Iceland, and one from LAtvia who works in the UK. So with that basis we now working out who's country to visit next!.

I agree Undo it is fantastic as you can now plan all sorts of epic holidays.

I've never met anyone from the LOTRO community. But I did attend a few The Realm Online Gatherings, two DAoC Guild Gathering at Renaissance Faires, one official Mythic DAoC Road-Trip event, and one VIP Party held by NCSoft just before Guild Wars launched.

As for LOTRO, all the kins I belong to either have members on the East Coast (I am West Coast) or they live in Australia! -*(

My alliance had a meet in London a couple of years ago. About a dozen people turned up. We keep saying we must do it again, but in the apathetic way of the net, we've never quite got around to sorting out another date & venue...

We've had quite a few kin meets over the past few years and have a another lined up for the first week of July in Bath, UK. It's great being able to eventually put names and voices to faces.

Also, when people have meets, who keeps up with the game names? Calling kin mates by their real names doesn't seem right somehow!

Let's see, Rhy, Sil, Tier, Ab, Hal, Tari (Bas (MueR), Ola, Alex, Kevin, Tim, Fraser)... in game names are more familiar!

I don't know about calling people you meet at a LOTRO gathering by their toons' names.

What happens if a kinmate usually plays a female human RK named Trixi...and is a 6 foot muscle-bound male? "Hey Trixi...we're over here!" -)

We've had quite a few kin meets over the past few years and have a another lined up for the first week of July in Bath, UK. It's great being able to eventually put names and voices to faces.

Also, when people have meets, who keeps up with the game names? Calling kin mates by their real names doesn't seem right somehow!

Since our last meet a few weeks ago i've started to call people by their real-life names and it is confusing the hell out of people to the point in raids they are confused when I yell 'Simon debuff please' or 'Heal Martin' the rest of the kin are like 'who the hell is simon' :P

Yeah, takes quite some time for real names to sink in, especially if you've been calling them their toon names for years! I find myself alternating now, I'll start to say a toonname IRL then check myself or vice versa...

Our kin leader is a RL friend of mine whom I met online several years ago. We had met in a forum and had decided to meet in RL (it was an international forum and all of those from Germany met up - one half of the group had also previously met online and then became friends in RL and the other half consisted of me and two others whom I'd also met online previously and then in RL ;)).

Said kin leader currently has another of our kin members and two people with whom we've been in a kin before visiting her. They're from the Netherlands, UK and Finland. I'm going to meet them later this week and am excited as I always am when I'm meeting people in RL. So far, almost all of those meetings I've done have been great and only strengthened the friendships. :*)

My character name kind of stuck from way back when we were in the international forum. Everybody had shortened my name there to "Mia" and as it sounds like a real name, it quickly became a nickname that some people still use to call me. I don't mind that, though. :)

Ola? I got a character named Ola, it's also my middle name shortened.... Anyway.

Our kinship Beer Bears is composed soli (soly? soley?) of real life friends. So the name connected to person isn't weird with us, as we know the person.

actually I was at a meeting this weekend.

occasionally I meet single persons, or a group of two, which I did not knew before LotRO.

+ the meeting at Codies last year

+ gamescom last year (+Satine/Maneki,...)

and so on...

mostly for making my virtual life my real life - my roomie is always like: "go away from your pc and into RL", so that's what I do. In June there are at least two additional meetings, one in July and for August there are already plans too :)

I think the Ola Raedwulf is referring to is a different one ;) I've met up with those mentioned by Raedwulf (as I'm in his list of folk anyway). I've met up with my fiancee as well ;)

Depends. Has she had a bruise on her backside at any time and was it self-inflicted? ;)

Servants of the Istari have a met up on occasion, the core of the kin are longtime gaming friends from around SE England so we sort of know each other. We have met up each yuear for the last couple, we try and arrange it for when one our Dutch friends is in the UK.

Always a good laugh to see real people and watch them get drunk lol.

A note on the on the IGN vs RL names...I got my best mate into LOTRO a few years ago and he's just started calling me Rav in real life by accident lol...you'd have thought he'd known me long enough to remember :')

The only kinnie I've met IRL is my sister, obviously. I'd love to meet my LotRO friends, but they're scattered all about Europe.