LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Palpatine

Season 2 story line... WOW!

A good question. I rather suspect that the next "revealed" area will be the circular shape you see if you zoom out to the world map. I'm basing this on the fact that when my mesmer explored all the way to the end of the Cavern of Shining Light, that area was just beyond some rocks she couldn't cross. I think that's where we're going next.

I also think a significant piece of GW1 lore is about to be introduced, but I may be wrong and don't want to say anything more about that just yet. It will delight us old fans of the game, but I hope the writers are going to be a little more careful. There's good retconning, and there's bad retconning. I've seen both in GW2.

- zone longevity: what will happen to that zone when people move and stop farming it, tier wise? Progress, rewards, costs of rewards depend on people actively doing the events, en masse.

That's one of my worries as well. I don't think it was a good idea. I dunno why we couldn't have had a more proper zone, that wasn't dependent on masses of people working together. The day after the last release, I was in the area, hoping to get to a t4 so I could get to that skritt.. but it never happened after several hours... and that's not going to be getting any better. I think because they've made the achievements permanent (which is great!), there's no longer that sense of urgency that draws a lot of people to these events. So if they're going for permanent achievements, they need to make them not dependent on having lots of people in a zone, imo.

And regarding the writers, they need to have the dude who wrote Nightfall/EotN be the main writer again. I'm not impressed with Bobby Stein and Angel McCoy. GW1 had it's cheese moments (in Prophecies and Factions) but on the whole it was a lot better. Also it helped that our character got to talk. :P

I was a bit "underwhelmed" with the first part, only played the story through once then moved on ... I must admit I like the second part much more, meaning the map and the look of it. I'm not too much into the story part, so that doesn't really bother me much.

But what worries me too is the longevity of the zone(s) ... t4 in part 1, now t6 in part 2 ... uhm, how many more parts are coming and how many tiers ? The higher the tiers, the more important is getting many players to achieve those tiers. And I guess the only way to get many players to do these tiers/events is to give them incentives to do so, ie. stuff to farm. That would be t5/t6 crafting mats or gold, not some onetime rewards, you get them and then move on.

That's what Crown Pavillion was about, first time around it was the mats, then it was "nerfed" and done for the many champ bags you got for farming the Gold Chest reward, giving you mats and sometimes some nice equip/wep. The invested time and effort was okay, so players organzied the runs.

What will Dry Top offer players in the long run ?

And regarding the writers, they need to have the dude who wrote Nightfall/EotN be the main writer again. I'm not impressed with Bobby Stein and Angel McCoy. GW1 had it's cheese moments (in Prophecies and Factions) but on the whole it was a lot better. Also it helped that our character got to talk. :P

I think I actually liked Factions and EotN the most.

While Nightfall started out with a bang, I was ultimately very disappointed with how they made Abaddon "the source of everything", it trivialized a lot of the plot elements, including my favorite: philosophically challenging Shiro dilemma...

But overall I agree, writing in GW1 seemed much better in my opinion.

Inow t6 in part 2 ... uhm, how many more parts are coming and how many tiers ?

Achieving a t6 was possible during the first release I believe.

I think I actually liked Factions and EotN the most.

While Nightfall started out with a bang, I was ultimately very disappointed with how they made Abaddon "the source of everything", it trivialized a lot of the plot elements, including my favorite: philosophically challenging Shiro dilemma...

But.. Abaddon actually is behind a lot of the bad stuff going on. :P He gave magic to Tyria so was indirectly responsible for a lot of events. It was one of his servants (the Fortune Teller.. you see it in it's true form in a quest in the Realm of Torment) who led/influenced Shiro to murder the emperor, he sent out the Titans which the Charr then worshipped as gods, which lead to the Searing, he made Vizier Khilbron cause the Cataclysm, then of course there was the Nightfall story.

He's actually destroyed now, I think, (when we beat him in Nightfall) but given we could have had an Abaddon fractal in GW2 and that drawing of Scarlet's and what we see later looks very much like the Torment Realm map in GW1, I wonder if somehow something to do with him is going to be woven into the current GW2 story. Dunno!

This seems an excellent time to share Wooden Potatoes' latest video, which goes over everything Lothireth just mentioned and beyond. There is footage of both GW1 and GW2 contained in it, and lots of details some of you who didn't play the first game might be unfamiliar with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxgwsq_G3g

Enjoy!   :D

You already missed the first one I believe. They're available every for two weeks I think. So you've a little over a week for the current installment.

The first one is still available for free.

Often WP's theories are better than what actually happens. Remember his Infinity Ball video? :P But I shall watch it anyway. :)

I know my GW1 (and GW2) lore, trust me... Big GW1 fan :)

And that is exactly what I mean. To me the fact that Abadon orchestrated Prophecies and Factions (aaand Nightfall)  storyline was very disappointing.

Both Shiro and Lich were much more interesting when they were villains in their own right, especially Shiro. 

I find spelling everything out for players boring; truth be told (as WP shows) fan theories can be much deeper and coherent than game maker's theories.

It was much more interesting, to me, when the prophecy about Shiro was ambiguous.

The first one is still available for free.

Odd - I had to pay 200 gems for it when I logged in last night.

On another note: holy crap, there have been some changes since I last played.  I spent nearly an hour just scrolling through my Necro's character panel, and the new shared wallet, etc.

Oh, and I seem to recall that Lion's Arch had been destroyed a while back?  It seems to have been rebuilt, I guess?  I was in what looked like a fully functioning LA.

Odd - I had to pay 200 gems for it when I logged in last night.

On another note: holy crap, there have been some changes since I last played.  I spent nearly an hour just scrolling through my Necro's character panel, and the new shared wallet, etc.

Oh, and I seem to recall that Lion's Arch had been destroyed a while back?  It seems to have been rebuilt, I guess?  I was in what looked like a fully functioning LA.

Oops my bad then I guess I got it just before it ended.

It's in the process of being rebuilt, but there is danger, as you'll see at some of the vine-choked waypoints. The newly-awakened Elder Dragon seems to like snacking on the waypoints system.   :P

And the "Abaddon did everything" storyline is what I had in mind when I spoke of retconning earlier. Along about the time they got that idea across to the fanbase (and I'm not bothered too much by it, I understand what they were trying to do), GW2 was being teased and suddenly we had to cope with "Oh, by the way, there are these huge dragons of nearly Lovecraftian power awakening from a timeless slumber, changing the very landscape, and the gods are AWOL. Wanna be a charr or one of these fascinating plant people that sprang up out of nowhere?"   :D

So, yeah, the major lore transitions in GW2 are not always smooth. But I allow the devs a lot of leeway, because they are trying, at least. I'm interested to see what happens next.

You didn't notice the wreckage everywhere, destroyed buildings and holes in the ground? :P The vendors and bankers may have moved back in but LA is certainly not rebuilt.

You didn't notice the wreckage everywhere, destroyed buildings and holes in the ground? :P The vendors and bankers may have moved back in but LA is certainly not rebuilt.

Admittedly, I didn't move from the spot I was standing in when I logged in - near a bunch of portals.  I brought up the map and everything looked kind of like it did before, with the exception of a couple new POIs.  I suppose if I get around to moving my character I'll notice the changes. :)

I guess I thought that since the map looked roughly the same, that the city had been restored.

Achieving a t6 was possible during the first release I believe.

See, that's how interested I was doing the first release ...

Started playing the 2nd release last weekend for a bit, yesterday I did some event farming. Haven't found an ambrite insect token yet, will keep trying ... do these only drop from the buried chests ? If yes, how do I get more keys to open them ?

See, that's how interested I was doing the first release ...

Same. Actually since the first release I've played all of 3 evenings. Find I just don't really care about the game so much anymore. I played it hardcore for a good long while. I'm playing far more GW1 atm. :P

Haven't found an ambrite insect token yet, will keep trying ... do these only drop from the buried chests ? If yes, how do I get more keys to open them ?

Yeah they only drop there. And how many more keys? Depends on if the RNG gods favor you or not. :P

The current speculation (I'm not currently able to find the thread on the OF that was discussing the Rytlock angle) is that with the greater menace of the dragons, the great races might be looking for ways to end other threats, such as the Ascalonian ghosts.

I also saw chatter about magical energy and ghosts on reddit. Apparently there is a book about it in that leyline cave.

Also, I'm glad I'm interested in the story again. :) But that's pretty much all GW2 will be for me for now I think. I'm totally burnt out on the AP grind and money grind for legendaries and whatnot. I shall just enjoy the story from now on. :)

I also saw chatter about magical energy and ghosts on reddit. Apparently there is a book about it in that leyline cave.

Also, I'm glad I'm interested in the story again. :) But that's pretty much all GW2 will be for me for now I think. I'm totally burnt out on the AP grind and money grind for legendaries and whatnot. I shall just enjoy the story from now on. :)

I'm kinda burned out too, last thing done was a complete Ascended Armour Set for my warrior, have a legendary GS for him too ... now I'm slowly levelling my Necro, for the fun of it, and raiding 3 times a week in WvW with guildies. Can't be bothered to grind or farm anything atm, I'm glad that the LS part 2 is permanent and can be done whenever I like :)

Often WP's theories are better than what actually happens. Remember his Infinity Ball video? :P But I shall watch it anyway. :)

he does have a bottomless wellspring from which to "wax on" about just about anything related to his interests...

one day whilst playing the game, he and a guildie went on for 3 hours straight about theory crafting.  the entire time, he showed no signs of running out of gas.

twas amusing to have that going on in the background, whilst i adventured.

anyway, i still haven't got a single caped toon yet.  i probably should jump back in and remedy that... when the weather gets cooler.  ;)

he does have a bottomless wellspring from which to "wax on" about just about anything related to his interests...

one day whilst playing the game, he and a guildie went on for 3 hours straight about theory crafting.  the entire time, he showed no signs of running out of gas.

I often find his videos irritating to watch for that reason. He seriously needs to learn how to present his thoughts in a more concise manner.

And also stop reading the f'ing text that we can read for ourselves! (His UW videos for GW1.. sheeesh...)