LOTROCommunity

Sapience leaves LOTRO

I'm not sure what everyones definition of "tied to the store" is. 

But my own is as follows:

Any mechanics which can be improved with the cost of MC or TP.

I never really did anything with Esscence gear but I remember hearing about the removal scroll early on. 

I'm not sure how solvents work but (foggy memory) I thought there was some way it had a store counter part.

Things that are not tied to the store:

Quest rewards

Classic Instance loot

Barterables (Stuff that can be traded for tokens not available in the store)

Things that are tied to the store (includes all things no matter how forced)

Legendaries (the most heavily done)

Esscence Gear

Class traits (MC to get a 3rd slot)

Mounted combat (MC to get a 3rd slot)

Virtues (accelerators, point buys)

Racial Traits (accelerators)

Epic Battles (extra slots, points for the tree)

Soon to be 3 classes

Stat tomes

Crafting

Travel

While you can avoid purchasing anything in the store and get a similar experience it doesn't change the fact it's in the store.

While I was able to avoid the store for most of the above items, it does not change the fact that it can be bought much faster by using the store rather than collecting skirm marks or tokens.  And to me that is what being tied to the store means.

I can kill 60 wolves in the shire to get my point of whatever it is or I can buy it in the store for 495 TP. 

I can agree with this:

I dont think anyone should expect any epic turn around, as it is right now, it is all about little steps, and in what direction those little steps are.

With this in the back of my mind:

The devs have said so many things over the last few years that have then hit the game broken/half-assed or even been canceled right away. There were, also, so many things that we had been told to not have any business of criticising, due to them not being finished, that then turned out EXACTLY THE SAME WAY people had warned against, that it isn't even funny.

Ignoring, against all prior experience, these facts and thinking that this can somehow magically change now, with a smaller crew to boot, is naive. If being called naive gets your panties in a twist, then so be it.

SNy

Perfectly reasonable way to go about gaming. If you dont like a game, dont play it. But dont try to belittle those that still do.

I don't really see people belittling you at all.  Maybe disagreeing with your outlook.  If anything you're being too sensitive about your own opinion. 

I think other are trying to correct your outlook on the Esscence system not being tied to the store, because it may be misinforming players. 

I couldn't honestly say the Esscence system isn't tied to the store to anyone.  As as a single item is sold in the store which can lessen the grind I have to be truthful and say  "it isn't terrible but there are in FACT items in the store which can be bought to make the grind more bearable. "  TO ME saying it isn't tied to the store is an outright lie (see reasons above).

And you have every right to disagree with MY OPINION, without me feeling as though I'm being belittled.

I have agreed with your outlooks in the past about the game moving in the correct direction, but let's keep this on perspective.  Did they FINALLY adjust the difficulty? yes.  Did they finally give something for group players to do (even if it is repeating quests)?  yes. 

But quite honestly this statement is going a bit far:

"I am optimistic for U15 because if the things that they have announced to be coming with it are done well, many of the games problems will be fixed, and there will be a reason to run all of the content."

The rest of the things are maybes.

Maybe they will fix the loot system

Maybe the offensive EB will be better than the HD ones.

Maybe there will be a reason to run all the content.

Maybe they will finally make the Legendary system bearable

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's the day we've all been waiting for, Friday of Countdown Week!  The very last day of the countdown to the departure of Rick "Sapience" Heaton, leaving his post as LOTRO Community Manager after 6 l

Jesus, someone's sarcasm detector is broken. And gotta say, regarding your regular name calling, I don't think you've a leg to stand on whilst commenting on any behaviour/things said that you find

The devs have said so many things over the last few years that have then hit the game broken/half-assed or even been canceled right away. There were, also, so many things that we had been told to not

You left off raids/instances/skirmishes etc. Since Quest Packs are in the Store then Quest Rewards are tied too, right? Same for Instance Loot. Don't forget Classes (Warden/RK).

I'm not sure that it was your point but in regards to the general sentiment often displayed by some, just because something is in the Store doesn't make it "made for the Store". 

Having the option to play for or purchase is a choice, not a forced path. Of course how the play to earn path is developed by the company makes some choices undesirable.

Unfortunately Turbine's system implementation makes the grind just not worth playing for in many cases. 

You left off raids/instances/skirmishes etc. Since Quest Packs are in the Store then Quest Rewards are tied too, right? Same for Instance Loot. Don't forget Classes (Warden/RK).

I'm not sure that it was your point but in regards to the general sentiment often displayed by some, just because something is in the Store doesn't make it "made for the Store". 

Having the option to play for or purchase is a choice, not a forced path. Of course how the play to earn path is developed by the company makes some choices undesirable.

Unfortunately Turbine's system implementation makes the grind just not worth playing for in many cases. 

The mechanic of receiving loot is independent from the content itself.  Some would say Warden was pay to win for a very long period of time.  (although it was pay to lose for nearly 2 xpacs)  I don't mind paying for content.  It's implied in an MMO.  Instance loot isn't really tied to the store because there is no way to buy the items in the store or speed up the process of obtaining it.  (ie: instance loot token frequency increaser)  Same thing with quests, you can not skip them and get the loot from them.

I agree with you that there are all degrees of store intrusion in the  store. 

I would consider LI's made for the store

I would consider the Esscence system tied to the store

Same thing with Barterables, there is currently no accelerator to get quest tokens (silver riddermark for example) any faster than copmpleting the quests they are tied to.  You may be able to increase the number of quests you do each day but no way to hit a single button and say quest done. 

I think that's what I was getting at.

Quinn, since LIs predate the store by almost two years, could you elaborate on how you consider LIs being made for the store? Is it because certain upgrades available in-game are also available in the Store?

Quinn, since LIs predate the store by almost two years, could you elaborate on how you consider LIs being made for the store? Is it because certain upgrades available in-game are also available in the Store?

I think anyone who has played over that period of time can answer it. While it was not designed for the store over time the extreme randomness, relics, gems legacies and shards made the store a more viable. I found the system that is current painful on alts. It really is way to random to be relied on. A great example was my first first age one handed guardian club with all dps legacies on it.

Anyone who played the game during this period should be able to understand my reasoning. After the first revamp the shard system only made it worse. It was not designed orgininally that way but became more frustrating with each "fix".

It is not that they ar available in the store but that the process of customization is so painful that after 1 or 2 xpacs that folks resort to the store becausebthe system in question is way go random to get the desired result. As I said in the above is my opinions so really I don't see the need to keep clarifying it.

I think I'd say LI's were reversed engineered for the Store, since they were out long before the Store and every LI revamp since the Store was introduced has pretty much made the "play for" choice undesirable.

Clarifying an opinion isn't a bad thing it helps to separate the nuts from the rational. :)

I see where you're coming from and agree with you a lot.

• Upvote 1

I don't really see people belittling you at all. Maybe disagreeing with your outlook. If anything you're being too sensitive about your own opinion.

I think other are trying to correct your outlook on the Esscence system not being tied to the store, because it may be misinforming players.

I couldn't honestly say the Esscence system isn't tied to the store to anyone. As as a single item is sold in the store which can lessen the grind I have to be truthful and say "it isn't terrible but there are in FACT items in the store which can be bought to make the grind more bearable. " TO ME saying it isn't tied to the store is an outright lie (see reasons above).

And you have every right to disagree with MY OPINION, without me feeling as though I'm being belittled.

I have agreed with your outlooks in the past about the game moving in the correct direction, but let's keep this on perspective. Did they FINALLY adjust the difficulty? yes. Did they finally give something for group players to do (even if it is repeating quests)? yes.

But quite honestly this statement is going a bit far:

"I am optimistic for U15 because if the things that they have announced to be coming with it are done well, many of the games problems will be fixed, and there will be a reason to run all of the content."

The rest of the things are maybes.

Maybe they will fix the loot system

Maybe the offensive EB will be better than the HD ones.

Maybe there will be a reason to run all the content.

Maybe they will finally make the Legendary system bearable

As to the bellitelment comment, its crap like this:

This is very true. This is why the claims of Superswim and people on the OF to have no problems is highly suspect.

On other issues:

It is a bit hard to discuss the game with someone like Superswim, who somehow can't understand that Turbine is not fully developing the game

<snip>

I am guessing you are newish to Lotro and haven't had 5-6 years of disappointment like many of us had.

In U14.2, essence removal scrolls were made fairly common in game.

They're barterable with Skirmish Marks from the skirmish camp and you can get one at least as a quest reward from the Dead Marshes quest line.  I have 4 characters at cap so I got 4 from that.

I also have a few others from a coupon code.

It would be nice if you can get them from chests too.  I'm not sure if that's actually in or not.. haven't been playing as much lately due to the fact there isn't much to do right now at end game.

And yes, all of those things are maybes. However, I am going to be optimistic about them. Its fine if you wont.

"I don't really see people belittling you at all.  Maybe disagreeing with your outlook.  If anything you're being too sensitive about your own opinion."

I disagree Quinn...as soon as you imply someone is an idiot for not sharing your opinion (which happened in this very thread against superswim) you are trying to belittle or invalidate their opinion. Just my two cents.

I can't believe someone said something as mean as this:

I am guessing you are newish to Lotro and haven't had 5-6 years of disappointment like many of us had.

That is way beyond anything I have seen on these forums, and should definitely be reported to the mods.

Especially the part about "I am guessing". It is really cruel for the poster to say they are just guessing that.

Nosam stop being a flaming troll, you implied Superswim and anyone who felt the same way about the game were idiots. You later had to back track on a comment that was blatantly close minded and slightly hypocritical (given your loathing of the Turbine apologists on other OF). Just give it a rest already.

• Upvote 1

Don't waste your time telling me what to post bucko. I don't care what you think.

I will say it again:

Saying "I am guessing Superswim is newish to Lotro" is not belittling anyone.

This is your repeated strategy in any type of discussion that you can not win easily. Fixate on one point that you think is obviously in your favor and hope everyone forgets the rest.

Edit: and btw, it implies that I am not knowledgable in the subject because I am new to it.

• Upvote 1

This is your repeated strategy in any type of discussion that you can not win easily. Fixate on one point that you think is obviously in your favor and hope everyone forgets the rest.

Edit: and btw, it implies that I am not knowledgable in the subject because I am new to it.

Superswim, I honestly thought you were newish to the game (not been playing for 6 or so years) because of your statements, and I posted that. I do think your views on the game are unusual. And, in fact, I don't see anyone else here saying the things you are saying - big blanket statements about things majorly improving in Lotro.

I am not trying to insult you. I am not trying to be extra careful about your feelings either, I am just discussing statements you made on these forums.

If you have anything to discuss, say it. If you disagree with something I said, challenge it. You don't have to talk about my "strategy". You are actually the one discussing me instead of any points about Lotro.

You made some outrageous statements (IMO) like the game is going to turn around, or with U15 most of the problems in the game may be fixed. I am just saying what I think about those statements. I don't mind if you think the game is going to turn around, but I am free to say I see no evidence for this at all, given the recent and past history of the game in the last 6 years.

• Upvote 2

"I don't really see people belittling you at all.  Maybe disagreeing with your outlook.  If anything you're being too sensitive about your own opinion."

I disagree Quinn...as soon as you imply someone is an idiot for not sharing your opinion (which happened in this very thread against superswim) you are trying to belittle or invalidate their opinion. Just my two cents.

You could have chosen to talk about any of the talking points in this thread.  The essence system, LI's, what store tie in means, if the developers would actually follow through on their promises to the players, and many other things discussed here.  Yet you chose to acknowledge the 1 guy that is trying to push your buttons. 

If you 2 can't get along may I suggest the ignore feature?   I've been belittled on this forum by posters, and you at times.  You don't hear me crying about it.  

So how long is this back and forth going to last until we can get back to the topics at hand?  How much do the 3 billy goats gruff have to pay this week to cross the bridge? 

The 2 of you should be ashamed to let this go on so long.  Instead of a simple response and a buried comment on page 40 we have this bullshit.  Pages of back and forth personal attacks.  You know these comments between you guys could have been sent in personal messages, but I guess they lose their effect when they are private and there's no audience?

You better believe that I will be suggesting to a moderator to have this thread closed or the nonsense cleaned up.  I was enjoying the discussions in this thread but you 2 have ruined that! 

Seriously enough of the nonsense.  

As far as Swim goes, dude there are going to be assholes here, as there are on many forums.  Best advice I can give you is ignore them.   You and I agree on many points about Lotro.   Don't feel slighted if I agree and add in a but.  I'm not trying to lessen your opinion but offer my own honest one about the same subject.   

• Upvote 1

You could have chosen to talk about any of the talking points in this thread.  The essence system, LI's, what store tie in means, if the developers would actually follow through on their promises to the players, and many other things discussed here.  Yet you chose to acknowledge the 1 guy that is trying to push your buttons. 

If you 2 can't get along may I suggest the ignore feature?   I've been belittled on this forum by posters, and you at times.  You don't hear me crying about it.  

So how long is this back and forth going to last until we can get back to the topics at hand?  How much do the 3 billy goats gruff have to pay this week to cross the bridge? 

The 2 of you should be ashamed to let this go on so long.  Instead of a simple response and a buried comment on page 40 we have this bullshit.  Pages of back and forth personal attacks.  You know these comments between you guys could have been sent in personal messages, but I guess they lose their effect when they are private and there's no audience?

You better believe that I will be suggesting to a moderator to have this thread closed or the nonsense cleaned up.  I was enjoying the discussions in this thread but you 2 have ruined that! 

Please do suggest that the thread be closed...then your transformation to the very thugs you supposedly left the OF for will be complete. Side note: I won't be sending you a personal message to apologise for that one...

Please do suggest that the thread be closed...then your transformation to the very thugs you supposedly left the OF for will be complete. Side note: I won't be sending you a personal message to apologise for that one...

While you will continue to prove my point I'm sure others will prove otherwise and concur with my post.  1 post already

As far as Swim goes, dude there are going to be assholes here, as there are on many forums.  Best advice I can give you is ignore them.   You and I agree on many points about Lotro.   Don't feel slighted if I agree and add in a but.  I'm not trying to lessen your opinion but offer my own honest one about the same subject.

Tried to ignore him, he continues to keep doing it throughout the "discussion" and I made one mistake by saying I was being belittled that you called out.

I cant believe I even have to say that.Perfectly reasonable way to go about gaming. If you dont like a game, dont play it. But dont try to belittle those that still do.

• Upvote 1

While you will continue to prove my point I'm sure others will prove otherwise and concur with my post.  1 post already

Quinn, look over the thread (seriously), in regards to the game nosam and I share a lot of the same criticisms. If you read my post, my issue wasn't that. Superswim, or anyone for that matter, should be able to come here and voice their opinions and have them debated without folks resorting to "or you're an idiot". That was my point.

• Upvote 1