LOTROCommunity

Middle Earth IP is done gaming wise

drul

Just take a moment and think about it:

Lotro is not fullfilling expectations for years. Even before HD, it was rightfully accused of being weak on many field. (just read this forum post and topics since f2p came & read players opinions about Lotro and it's expansions).  

Aside of that you have:

Lotro MOBA

Simple linear adventure action Lotr single player game.

Upcoming Assasin Creed in Middle Earth

Only really good serious Middle Earth project that had potential to provide quality and serious product - MERP - was shut down by C&D letter from WB.

In my opinion Middle Earth IP as a gaming IP has no future for those that look for relatively serious and at same time rich and relatively coherent lore in gaming.  Middle Earth IP is now in first league of biggest fantasy&sc-fi  IPs in media alongside IPs like Star Trek, Harry Potter, Twighlight Saga or Star Wars.  Because of that products made using ME IP will have to conform to requirements of wide appeal mainstream pop-culture products.

Imho if you're type of person that care greatly about lore, that want it's gaming product be a little more than just easily digestable mash, then imho you need to find other IP or IP's for yourself, either already existing one of upcoming / future ones.

Do you agree / don't agree?

Do you agree / don't agree?

I deffinitely agree with this:

"Only really good serious Middle Earth project that had potential to provide quality and serious product - MERP - was shut down by C&D letter from WB.".

Nowadays this IP is only going to be monetized to maximum with 0 care about the lore. This one thing is certain...

Agreed, it died for me many years ago even..

I might check out lego lotr some time, but no intention to play anything else related to it, and especially that Assasin's Creed Lotro rip-off! (I don't like Assasin's Creed at all actually..)

I am still hoping some day in the future there will be a Lotro 2.0 brought by a different company than Turbine. (I guess my hope's of WB having anything to do with it aren't realistic..)

Ah well, it's summer, vacation, in between moving to my own place finally (!) I am rereading The Lord Of The Rings B)

I think that in general, Tolkien's stories are hard to use as a source for games and even films intended to appeal to a broad audience. The professor is extremely specific and detailed about the characters, settings, and plots, which leaves little room for creative interpretation of those events without pissing off fans of the literary work.

The Battle for Middle-earth games (RTS style) are pretty good. Aside from that, they do seem to be wasting the IPs potential. Probably because, in a cost/benefit analysis, making barely passable games nets them more profit compared to effort involved than a good game does. It's a symptom of all major games companies lately. The better games are often indie devs... but even that has become filled with scam-artists making games they don't intend to get past beta but will still ask for money for a clone of an already existing game. There is no innovation or originality any more.

I think that in general, Tolkien's stories are hard to use as a source for games and even films intended to appeal to a broad audience. The professor is extremely specific and detailed about the characters, settings, and plots, which leaves little room for creative interpretation of those events without pissing off fans of the literary work.

Wat...

It worked extremely well with Middle Earth Online and early LOTRO.

Imagine a MMORPG in Middle Earth made by Blizzard

Giant Pauldrons, Pet Battles, pop culture references on every step and rockets&motorbikes for mounts?

I don't think Blizzard is particulary good choice for serious lore coherent games.

Blizzard is always in game for absolute top of the top of game revenue and such it will act by making as wide-appeal as possible.  That mean lore and coherency goes to trash.

Giant Pauldrons, Pet Battles, pop culture references on every step and rockets&motorbikes for mounts?

I don't think Blizzard is particulary good choice for serious lore coherent games.

Blizzard is always in game for absolute top of the top of game revenue and such it will act by making as wide-appeal as possible.  That mean lore and coherency goes to trash.

I love pet battles, much better way in gaining pets then the crappy way LOTRO does it.

Imagine that the copyright was expired and anybody could make Tolkien and LotR games. Including open source projects.

Oh wait, professor tolkien is dead for how long? Thank senator disney for the copyright extension.

Blizzard is always in game for absolute top of the top of game revenue and such it will act by making as wide-appeal as possible. That mean lore and coherency goes to trash.

I actually don't think Blizzard would trash the IP. I don't think they would make a WoW in ME if they got the license. But that is ofc just speculation on my part. But I think that if they hired the right people to keep an eye on the lore aspect of the game, their devs could create something amazing

I actually don't think Blizzard would trash the IP. I don't think they would make a WoW in ME if they got the license. But that is ofc just speculation on my part. But I think that if they hired the right people to keep an eye on the lore aspect of the game, their devs could create something amazing

Thing is I don't think so they would be interested in acquiring license in first place.   Activision-Blizzard has money to acquire licenses, but they do not create games based on existing IPs.    In case of Tolkien keeping "true to the lore" definately means decreasing wide appeal of a game and Blizzard create super-mainstream games.   Plus I don't think they would be interested in paying any kind of license fees, when they have so strong brand of their own.  Anything created by Blizzard = automatical huge interest of millions of customers = no point of paying for external IP.

I just don't know.

You may always hope a really innovative MMO developer gets their hands on the IP and gets the financial freedom!!!!! to create the One MMO to Rule them All.

A modern MMO, with loads of sandbox elements and a fully playable evil side. With a proper low magic footprint. With proper massive battles based on melee. With actualy siege equipment in a fully destroyable world. With navigable seas and rivers and naval battles. With procedurally generated terrain and resources (no more nodes, things actually grow at 'natural' places on their own). Actual complex AI on mobs and NPC's. With full character customization. With currently available graphical fidelity. 3D (facebook Rift if you will) enabled. Coupled to IoS/Android mobile minigames, including augmented reality based ones (see an uruk run through your neighborhood).

It's all there. All these amazing buildingblocks. Put them together and you have the One MMO to Rule them All.

I think.

It can be the fantasy equivalent of Star Citizen. Totally and then some.

They said Middle Earth gaming was dead.

They were wrong.

I am a Middle Earth game.

That would give me goosebumps!!

Or better yet, Drul...you could stop trolling on this overly negative site (it should be called IhatelotrobutIcantletitgo.com) and maybe go outside and get some fresh air.

Or you could have just stayed at the fanbois forums where all this "terrible" cricism towards the game is deleted within a blink of an eye. There really was no need to make yourself look like a baby troll like Doro said.

To troll here you really have to do much, much better.

Or better yet, Drul...you could stop trolling on this overly negative site (it should be called IhatelotrobutIcantletitgo.com) and maybe go outside and get some fresh air.

calm down V.. we are all friends here. The only reason you see negative threads about LOTRO here is becasue turbine stamps out even the slighest threat to the fanboy dream of full servers and solo content over on the OF