LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
nosam9

The REAL top MMOs list

Hi,

Let's use the amazing collective brain power of people here to figure out the best MMOs and then vote to tank them.

This thread is ONLY to add what MMOs you think need to be in a top 20 MMO list.

Here is trolls post below. This is not about rank, it is about what MMOs do you like (or know of) that can qualify to be in a top 15 or top 20 MMO list. Top meaning best (not making most money or largest) - best meaning most fun to play or best made (for good gameplay experience).

So what games are missing?

When we get a bigger list, I will make a poll thread and we can have everyone vote to get a ranked best MMO list.

1) WoW

2) The Secret World

3) Rift

4) Guild Wars 2

5) Wildstar

6) EVE Online

7) Everquest

8 ) Neverwinter

9) Runescape

10) Lord of the Rings Online (based upon their early awesomeness, not recent failures)

For interest I will put here my own ranking, and add some games (added are bold):

1) WoW

2) GW2

3) Rift

4) EVE

5) Lotro

6) Secret World*

SWTOR  (edit: forgot this one, is it better than Secret World?)

7) Everquest 2

8) WildStar*

9) Tera

10 Neverwinter*

11) Age of Conan*

12) Runescape*

* are my guesses on how good a game is, based on watching game play and reading about these games. But I never played them much.

What is off or wrong with my ranking?  But please add any missing games, so I can make a poll thread.

Note: Runequest is so low because I can't enjoy the top down, tiny toon perspective. Lotro is high based on it's past glory. EVE is really hard to place. Is it even an MMO? I feel like it is it's own genre. Aion? Other games?

I have no idea what this is about but I will list my personal favourite MMOs if that is what you are after

1) LotRO (Not so great now but still the one MMO I have enjoyed the most and spent the most time in)

2) WAR (Now dead of course but brilliant PvP)

3) SWTOR (Great instances, interesting solo play, I only stopped because my guild died)

4) Rift (I still play it now)

5) GW2 (Fun but didn't keep my interest for long enough)

6) WoW (although I have a level 80 something I still never really got in to it)

7) AoC (Well I enjoyed it!)

8) EVE (I can see the appeal but requires too much time)

I've played many others, Tera, Aion, Secret World + a lot more, but didn't enjoy them enough to rate them

Age of Conan but no SWTOR?

Sorry, Nosam, but that is just whack!

I just forgot! It's all trolls fault!    Yes, I would put SWTOR tied for 6th place. Haven't play - so is it better than SW? No idea.

And why do this, because you rarely see a list of the best playable MMO's out there.

Ok, I will add FF XIV, WAR, EQ1, and maybe DDO.

Anyone can think of any other MMO better than Runescape or any of the others?

Nice! STO added.

Here is the list now. I will set up a thread to vote soon.

Here is how I rank all of them (in order, from best to worst):

Top Tier MMOs:

WoW

GW2

ESO

Rift

EVE

Secret World

WildStar 

SWTOR 

FFXIV 

Second Tier (all a step down from the great MMOs IMO):

Lotro (was top tier well before F2P and RoR, IMO)

Everquest 2 (nice but dated now IMO)

STO

Tera

Neverwinter

WAR (was great maybe but gone now)

DDO

Runescape

Age of Conan

I would say Wildstar and FFXIV are both top tier

Did Wildstar get a big population when it launched? Does it have a good amount of content? But I can believe both of these are top tier. FFXIV must have gotten a lot of asian players too.

Did Wildstar get a big population when it launched? Does it have a good amount of content? But I can believe both of these are top tier. FFXIV must have gotten a lot of asian players too.

FFXIV is huge in Japan, and I have heard unofficial reports that Wildstar sold over a million boxes at launch, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

Is this top current MMOs or an all-time list?

Because both Ultima Online and EQ1 belong on any 'best' list, just as far as influence and creating the genre as it is now. Both would be hell for a modern MMO player to play, but they belong unless we are doing 'best MMO to play right now.

Why wouldn't ST:O not be top tier? Sorry I didn't make it too far into it. Oh, wait :)

i'm not going to even get ten.  but for performance, product & playability...

1.)  World of Warcraft (don't play it, but i do give it the nod for the above 3)

2.)  Guild Wars 2 (i play this, it is a strong product.)

3.)  DC Universe Online (don't play it, but i was considering it.)

4.)  Everquest  Next (not out yet, won't be playing it, but it does look very strong.)

5.)  Planetside 2 (don't play it, but a solid shooter MMO.)

6.)  Minecraft (only ever tried a trial version, no desire to invest further, but to not note this multi-player success is to have your head in the sand.)

7.) Eve Online  (don't play it, but i think this one definitely deserves a nod.)

that is it, only 7.

if i were to make honorable mentions (reluctantly) ESO & Rift.

edited out a brain fart...

A list without Ultima Online? Bleh! And no Asheron's Call either? Doublebleh!

And the list also misses Archeage, but since it's still in closed beta, it's understandable.

My top 3 is still, in no particular order since all 3 are different:

UO, AC1 and WoW.

Then comes:

4 ) GW2

5 ) Archeage

6 ) Landmark

7 ) Anarchy Online

8 ) SWG

9 ) SW:TOR

10 ) LOTRO before Moria

Would certainly add Planetside 2 to the list. EQ2 should be there too as it is still popular. I can all see Firefall being on the tier 2 after it goes live.

I've played ST:O a lot, and TERA a bit; I think they are both "top tier" by the criteria listed.

StarTrek Online falls outside my radar.  have seen a sum total of one video on the subject and it was some ship to ship combat.  that one vid was enough for me to utterly lose interest.  but honestly, i do not have enough knowledge about the current game to comfortably include it.

TERA...  damn, by 2 of my own criteria: (performance & playability) yeah, you are correct, this one does pass.  the combat is solid and i am unaware of any game breaking bugs, or performance issues.

but the product...  this one isn't a simple matter of giggly bits for animations.  that little furry creature, the other anime in lingerie race, super sexualized elves...  this goes miles beyond World of Warcrafts...  "it is too cartoony for my tastes"  i simply would never, under any circumstances steer someone in the direction of this game...  it has hands down attracted some of the vilest users of any of the competition.  whatever bad chat experiences you may have had in any other game...  TERA will surpass those depths.  to mesh all those races into a single game...  the lore would perhaps be coherent to a schizophrenic.  & the open world feeling?  the funneling along a predetermined path in this one sticks out like a sore thumb.  if they made attempts to disguise the fact, they failed.

no TERA does not get on my list.   ;)

Would certainly add Planetside 2 to the list. EQ2 should be there too as it is still popular. I can all see Firefall being on the tier 2 after it goes live.

my EQ2 in previous post...  should read Everquest Next.  brain farted, my bad.

ST:O completely lacks any sense of adventure and exploration like you have in the series and movies.

That's what killed the game for me.

• Upvote 1

Only anecdotal from the forums but I think a lot have left or are leaving when they get to level cap as it is very grindy and group based (with high difficultly levels and very unforgiving in rewards for less than perfect runs). Also PvP is according to many broken no idea how. I only made it to 30 before I got bored and went back to ESO so I can't really comment on end game from a personal perspective.

super sexualized elves...

I'm OK with super sexualized elves.  O-)

ST:O completely lacks any sense of adventure and exploration like you have in the series and movies.

That's what killed the game for me.

The leveling content has that to some degree (since you only go through it once).

Keeping a story-based focus at endgame is something no MMO has really succeeded at (SWTOR being another utter failure in that regard).

And there is a pretty large amount of user-generated content (and more being created all the time) that *does* have pretty strong adventure/exploration flavor.

I've been playing STO recently. Got my federation engineer character to lvl 21 and I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised. I've been playing on and off for a while but only got to lvl 9 but over the past few weeks I've added some more levels, got two new ships. Of course it has its issues - it feels quite dated when playing, the ground combat is a bit clunky and if you've played Eve then prepare to be disappointed with the feeling of being in STO's "space".

But... it's got a few pluses that make it strangely compelling:

- The quest arc kind of plays like LOTRO's epic line, except that one can repeat any quest and get the same choice of rewards. So the re-playability is better than other MMOs IMO.

- Ground combat is tactical in nature - there are up to 4 others in one's party each bringing different skills etc. This can make for fun tactics.

- Space combat can be a challenge and takes practice and skill to fight efficiently and effectively.

- The Foundry. Basically a ton of free content that always has a surprise!

- The duty officer system is a neat little mini-game and a nice way to earn xp and other rewards without having to fight.

- The crafting system is nice.

Not done much group content or pvp so far so cannot comment on that much.